Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Joking, it was way too sketchy to actually buy but I hadnt noticed the URL.

Edit: When someone e-mails you a photoshopped carfax report about a car it raises some flags before even looking at the link.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z3bracak3
Apr 22, 2010

This seemed really cool, Datsun 210 for $1000.
http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/2308366727.html

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Some Goober posted:

1992 Dodge Spirit $3,800 O.B.O. - $3800 (Del Valle)

NEED TO SELL REALLY FAST!!!!! We have a 1992 Dodge Spirit 4 door sedan for sale. We are the second owners of this vehicle since it was new. The reason we are asking this price for it is because of the condition that it is in and all of the NEW parts that we have put on or into it. Here is the list as follows: TIRES (Four are mounted on the car and it comes with a full size new spare (no rim) and donut spare as well), RADIATOR, RADIATOR HOSES, EXHAUST(FROM MANIFOLD TO TAILPIPE INCLUDING MUFFLER), CUSTOM BLUE PAINT( Sorry it's dirty from all the pollen blown around lately), FUEL GAUGE, FUEL PUMP, FUEL TANK, FUEL FILTER, FUEL LINE, GRILLE, TIMING BELT, WINDSHIELD, REAR WINDOW W/DEFROSTER, BATTERY, HORNS, and REBUILT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION (Just to be sure it's mechanically sound for everyday travel). The body is perfect with no dents at all, we had them take them all out at the body shop when it was painted. The dash is not cracked. The only things this car needs are new headliner, sunvisors, belt for air conditioner and a new owner. It gets great gas mileage and has plenty of room for a family of four. There is alot of money put into this car and we would like to see it go to someone who will apprecaite it. It just sits at my dad's under a tree not being driven. The miles are the actual mileage and it reads 161,136. SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY!! We are just trying to get back what we have invested into it really not including the ccost of the actual car itself just the parts and labor. WE HAVE NO TIME FOR SPAM, LOWBALLERS, OR TIRE-KICKERS! THEY WILL BE REPORTED!!! OPEN TO SERIOUS BUYERS WITH CASH IN HAND, PRICE MAY BE NEGOTIATED. ....

Things I love about this ad:
1) The price
2) The fact that everything he lists as normal maintenance is suddenly and investment
3) The crack-job paint
4) The fact they had the dents pulled before spraying it crack-job blue
5) The idea that he wants the car to go to someone who will "appreciate it". I am struggling to think of many cars less worthy of appreciation than a 1992 dodge.
6) That he is going to "report" spammers and tire kickers. "Hello, Police? I just got low-ball offer on my 1992 dodge, send help!"

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I've thought about responding to an ad like that and kicking the tires first thing just to see what the guy does.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Strangely, I got the best response on my Camry ad only after I threw in some language telling people not to bother with lowballs, etc.

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/2311217249.html

"Air Bud, San Diego's Canine Movie Star of 15 motion pictures official production vehicle is for sale. "

I just bought a Ranger but now I am thinking I made a mistake of not buying Air Bud's Ford Ranger.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Tai-Pan posted:

REBUILT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION (Just to be sure it's mechanically sound for everyday travel).

You know, just decided to rebuild the transmission to be sure its mechanically sound. No other reason.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

opengl128 posted:

You know, just decided to rebuild the transmission to be sure its mechanically sound. No other reason.
Value added maintenance, of course. Besides, certainly he's a professional.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

As Nero Danced posted:

I know this isn't Craigslist, but I don't know what to make of this el camino:

Ad is here.

On one hand I know it's stupid, on the other I want it.

When I saw this I said out loud, "Oh my god, its beautiful." Needs a diesel.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tai-Pan posted:

1) The price
2) The fact that everything he lists as normal maintenance is suddenly and investment
3) The crack-job paint
5) The idea that he wants the car to go to someone who will "appreciate it". I am struggling to think of many cars less worthy of appreciation than a 1992 dodge.
6) That he is going to "report" spammers and tire kickers. "Hello, Police? I just got low-ball offer on my 1992 dodge, send help!"

And don't forget:
7) It's been sitting long enough for weeds to grow around it. In the grass, which is great for undercarriage rust
8) 161,136 miles Actual miles! no kidding! :allears:

Wow, where can I find a 20 year old car with such low miles!? I must be dreaming.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Tai-Pan posted:

1) The price
3) The crack-job paint

My 2002 Dodge isn't worth as much as he's asking, and it's in far better condition than that heap.

I guess I need to replace the entire fuel system to get it to appreciate in value.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I like how the guy thinks of that paint job as "added value".

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
poo poo, I can't even recall the last time I've seen a spirit/acclaim. I figured they had all exploded by now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm diggin the premium steel wheels

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Crustashio posted:

poo poo, I can't even recall the last time I've seen a spirit/acclaim. I figured they had all exploded by now.

In Somerville, MA, there's a daily driven Shadow, Spirit, and a K-car (which is in the best shape of all 3). I have no idea how it works.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
That colour is horrible. I really hate that purplish blue like that, its one of those few colours that I can look at and have it physically bother me.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
This one is pretty awesome. I wouldn't pay it, but the car itself is amazing.

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/displaycar.php?stock=4762&location=STL

Hint: Think 80's, think Chrysler, think wood paneling, think turbocharging.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Maintenance;
1) replace oil every 3k
2) replace belts every 30k
3) replace head gasket every 60k ( if that )

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

My grandma had a perfect Shadow up until we forced her to sell it because she occasionally ended up on peoples' lawns. Some high school student has it now, which means it's probably at the bottom of a ravine with a burnt corpse inside.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

trouser chili posted:

Their entire stock is pretty ridiculous
http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/search_result.php?sort=year&make=&model=&x=31&y=5

edit: well, not stock exactly, since they sell on consignment.

Tongsy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 8, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

trouser chili posted:

I wonder if the radio works.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Not really too bizarre.

But pretty bizarre, almost 6k for a 16 year old probe. Also, is "female owned" really a selling point for a car?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
A followup on that hilarious 20k e30 318 posted earlier:

quote:

Another addition - here's an email I sent to an E30 (in my opinion) expert who had questions about my car. Hopefully this reply will explain myself to all the other highly knowledgeable E30 people out there...

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of keeping it anyway - to give to my son many years from now.

I think I'll add this email to my post to explain myself.

I too am a BMW E30 nut. I own three 318i's right now - two from 1985 and one from 1991.

I've also owned an 86 325es and an 89 325ix, but I prefer the 318i. And strange as this may sound, I find the M10 engine the most problem free of the bunch.

Just to explain myself - I am a Canadian military pilot and was stationed in Germany in the mid 1980's. As such I saw with my own eyes a handful of 85 318is models roaming around the countryside - only around 200 of them were ever built. I couldn't afford one at the time, so when I returned to Canada I eventually bought a 318i and tried to spec it out exactly as the 318is that I saw in Germany.

Hence - it is true that the E30 318i in 85 did come as an "is" in a limited production run. It had the upgraded sport seats and the three spoke wheel that I put into my car (I did see two with the M tech wheel and I have one in my garage but never got around to installing it - I like the standard three spoker better anyway - I could have purchased a set of standard BMW sport seats but thought the Recaro LNX seats were a better choice). The guys that owned them over there showed me the mods BMW did to these cars for the limited production run. They indeed kept the rear drum brakes and solid front rotors but upgraded the suspension and wheel/tire combo (14 inch only - but I wanted to go with the 15 inch BBS). The M10 engine was not modified - only the exhaust system was changed to allow better breathing.

Thus I wanted to spec my car out as close to one of these as possible. Except for the bumpers I think I did a pretty good job (from what I can remember)... right down to the Euro clock instead of the North American digital one. I kept the North American Alpine stereo as it was better (if you can believe it) than the standard 318is stereo in Germany at the time.

So there you have it - hopefully all the E30 nuts out there will understand where I'm coming from and what I'm talking about now.

That's why I am calling this a rare E30 Euro Spec 318is from 1985...

Indeed - please let me know when you organize your E30 meet in May. I would love to see all the other E30's.

Regards,

Terry

I specced out my bog standard 318i like a limited run of the WORST version of a classic car, so it must be worth 20k!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Cage posted:

Not really too bizarre.

But pretty bizarre, almost 6k for a 16 year old probe. Also, is "female owned" really a selling point for a car?

It's overpriced, but it's in drat good condition and near-virginal miles (for a Probe)

And a lot of people consider "female owned" to = "well-taken care of and not thrashed/raced like a teenage boy would do"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Brand new mustang cobra convertible!

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2003-Ford-Mustang-Brand-New-SVT-Cobra-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ273275864

What drives a person to abuse a car like that.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
"It'll be a collector's item in X years!!!11!1"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't know what is wrong with people that buy a car in order to run up huge storage costs forever. It almost never works out for them financially. Good luck selling your zero milage car that is now worth half of what you paid for it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Elephanthead posted:

I don't know what is wrong with people that buy a car in order to run up huge storage costs forever. It almost never works out for them financially. Good luck selling your zero milage car that is now worth half of what you paid for it.

I think they run on the same logic comic book collectors do, hoping that everyone else will junk/sell/whatever theirs. And also don't realize that nowadays cars are made by the like 500,000s.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Muffinpox posted:

Joking, it was way too sketchy to actually buy but I hadnt noticed the URL.

Edit: When someone e-mails you a photoshopped carfax report about a car it raises some flags before even looking at the link.

It's a bit weird for a fake, that plate is right for being in Scotsbluff, NE, which is in the middle of nowhere. It's plausible that someone would sell a S2000 for that low of a price there, since there is little market for a car like that in rural Nebraska. Also, why would someone choose an extremely remote location for their scam listing?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Konstantin posted:

It's a bit weird for a fake, that plate is right for being in Scotsbluff, NE, which is in the middle of nowhere. It's plausible that someone would sell a S2000 for that low of a price there, since there is little market for a car like that in rural Nebraska. Also, why would someone choose an extremely remote location for their scam listing?

To make you ask questions like this.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Sockington posted:

Maintenance;
1) replace oil every 3k
2) replace belts every 30k
3) replace head gasket every 60k ( if that )

Correction:

3) Replace Head Gasket once with updated MLS one and never worry about it again.
4) Convert to Turbo II status
5) Giggle every time you drive it.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Cage posted:

Also, is "female owned" really a selling point for a car?

Based off of our female trade-ins i would have to say no. That usually is a red flag for hidden prizes and more detail work to remove hand lotion residue from everything she touched.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Dont forget "Oil changed every 8000-30,000 miles"

"Diesel put into the gas tank only 2-3 times"

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Elephanthead posted:

I know where there is a 0 mile 2002 Ford Thunderbird. It is stored in one of those bubbles in a climate controlled garage. We made the final delivery of it, put it up on jack stands, and stacked the tires in the corner. It was never driven, only pushed on and off of trailers. Last time i saw him it was still in the same place i left it. I still don't think it's worth what he paid for it when he bought it new.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Toucan Sam posted:

I still don't think it's worth what he paid for it when he bought it new.
It isn't. Some people are something like obsessive compulsive though, and as long as it makes them happy who cares. It's like buying a comic book and immediately putting it into wrap and never opening it in hopes it might, maybe, be worth something... worst case it's worth less but it makes you happy in some bizarro way.

Of course, if it goes on the open market the only way they'll get their money back is if a similarly afflicted individual wants it.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Toucan Sam posted:

I know where there is a 0 mile 2002 Ford Thunderbird. It is stored in one of those bubbles in a climate controlled garage. We made the final delivery of it, put it up on jack stands, and stacked the tires in the corner. It was never driven, only pushed on and off of trailers. Last time i saw him it was still in the same place i left it. I still don't think it's worth what he paid for it when he bought it new.

It's definitely not, the 00s T-bird was a really awful car to begin with. All the customers at my job that drive and like them are huge douchebags, leading to the cars' nickname of "douchemobile".

Cage posted:

Not really too bizarre.

That's way too much money but I love the color.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

:stare:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Cadillac-Station-Wagon-/290554869989?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43a66b78e5

A Cadillac...Station Wagon?

I had no idea such a thing existed. Is it for real, or is it some kinda wacky coach built mod?

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

trouser chili posted:

Think John Voight :v:

exhaust heat
Dec 23, 2010

by Lowtax

Crustashio posted:

A followup on that hilarious 20k e30 318 posted earlier:

I specced out my bog standard 318i like a limited run of the WORST version of a classic car, so it must be worth 20k!

I've searched and searched and cannot confirm the existence of a 1985 318is. I know you could order M parts on standard BMW's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Astroman posted:

I had no idea such a thing existed. Is it for real, or is it some kinda wacky coach built mod?

Does it matter? That thing is pure awesome. Think of the road trips you could have driving sailing that thing down the freeways.