Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
You've got to love a game that punishes players for dieing by cutting their max HP in half until they can beat a badass boss or barge into another player's game and kill them. It has one of the coolest multiplayer systems I've every seen; there's even one boss that can be controlled by other players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I'm just wondering when difficulty became a substitute for game design.

Really hard game =/= Really good game.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Oh god ever since I built my gaming rig I can't stop buying games on Steam. :gonk:

I don't see much point in owning a console right now. I don't have an HDTV, and almost all of the games I want to play have a PC version. My PC is pretty much an Xbox360 since I have a 360 controller for it. I love how almost every game made in the past 5 years has it already set up so I can just plug in my controller and not have to mess with the button settings. None of the PS3 or 360 exclusives really interest me, and I gave up on the Wii's stupid motion control gimmick a long time ago.

Been playing Borderlands, Mass Effect, and Red Faction: Guerrilla. Borderlands is great for when I just want to shoot stuff without a pesky plot getting in the way and it satisfies my inner loot whore. Mass Effect is great when I do want to play a game with a deep plot and shoot stuff, and Red Faction is a great GTA-Style mayhem game I can play with my 360 Controller when my wrist starts hurting.

I'm so glad I finally built my computer and am able to play all these awesome games for a great price. I may not be able to play them at max resolution with all the eye candy turned up and still have a decent framerate, but it really doesn't bother me. I usually turn off crap like bloom and HDR lighting anyway because I find it distracting. I'll probably upgrade it again just before Duke Nukem Forever comes out, I've been waiting forever for that one. :lol:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 8, 2011

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Ularg posted:

Who owns just one console / PC anymore?

I own a NES and a PC that counts right?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Cheezymadman posted:

I don't think anyone said that. They just said games that don't hold your hands are good.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Taffer posted:

I don't think anyone said that. They just said games that don't hold your hands are good.

Does that imply that games that do hold your hands cannot be good?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Cheezymadman posted:

Why do you assume demons souls doesn't have amazing game and
level design? it does

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Amrosorma posted:

Well some times I like to wear the pc gimp suit and be beaten savagely. Games that hold my hand too much just aren't fun.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Ularg posted:

I'm an owner of a PS3 and Little Big Planet 2 and love the hell out of that game, but I wasn't aware people were so loving adament on their console choice when LBP2 Facebook page posted a question for its fans:

Here are some wonderful comments:

There's plenty more but most of the "No" votes are just silly.

I hope MM didn't put too much stock into that poll. LBP would own so loving hard on PC. It would be the Minecraft of platformers. Doesn't matter too much since Sony would never let it happen, but it's just sad to see that.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Cheezymadman posted:

Why do you feel Demon's Souls is not a well-designed game? The difficulty makes it stand out, but the developer isn't using it as a crutch.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Dudebro posted:

I hope MM didn't put too much stock into that poll. LBP would own so loving hard on PC. It would be the Minecraft of platformers. Doesn't matter too much since Sony would never let it happen, but it's just sad to see that.

Clearly you are wrong here. If LBP were to come to PCs it'd force PS3 players to use keyboards to play.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Why do you feel Demon's Souls is not a well-designed game? The difficulty makes it stand out, but the developer isn't using it as a crutch.

I haven't played it, so I wasn't talking about DS specifically, but there are tons of games out there who just make it hard and call that "game design"

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Cheezymadman posted:

I haven't played it, so I wasn't talking about DS specifically, but there are tons of games out there who just make it hard and call that "game design"

Oh yeah, no disagreement there. I think indie games are some of the worst offenders here. A few like Super Meat Boy do it pretty well, but for every one of those there's a good three or four terrible games that substitute difficulty for compelling content.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Cheezymadman posted:

Making a game hard while not angering players is game design. Just saiyan.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

MeruFM posted:

I play games for fun. To unwind and relax. Not for a challenge. I'm a content tourist.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MeruFM posted:

Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd want to play a game that never made me a little angry at it.

Maybe as a way to unwind between other games, but that's what passive media is for.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Amrosorma posted:

Not all of them, but more often than not yes. Generally those games are simple and sacrifice so much to cater to retards.

Cheezymadman posted:

I play games for fun. To unwind and relax. Not for a challenge. I'm a content tourist.

So you're a casual gamer and you would never even bother playing a game like Demon's Souls or anything that isn't Farmville in the first place. Well, you have your games, don't call our games lovely because they are hard.

Node fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 8, 2011

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

MeruFM posted:

Yeah. Having a game that's "hard" because enemies are cheap are terrible game design. However, everytime I died in Demon Soul's, it was a "man, I can't believe I would do something so dumb". Games like that, even though they're challenging, you always have that feeling of being able to get through without getting touched by being able to play well.

Ninja Gaiden always gave me this feeling. Sure it was ruthless and difficult, but it's not like you couldn't beat the game without getting touched ever.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Node posted:

Not all of them, but more often than not yes. Generally those games are simple and sacrifice so much to cater to retards.

Generally? I guess I'm looking at more impact and popularity and not what makes up the numerical majority when it comes to roguelikes, but I would never say Nethack, Angband, or DCSS were simple or catered to "retards".

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Amrosorma posted:

Generally? I guess I'm looking at more impact and popularity and not what makes up the numerical majority when it comes to roguelikes, but I would never say Nethack, Angband, or DCSS were simple or catered to "retards".

I think we're talking about different things. I'd never say that about roguelikes either

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Amrosorma posted:

I was not implying that, no, although it is usually the case. But of course there are always exceptions.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Node posted:

So you're a casual gamer and you would never even bother playing a game like Demon's Souls or anything that isn't Farmville in the first place. Well, you have your games, don't call our games lovely because they are hard.

Here's an idea. Let's lump everyone that plays games into two categories.

A) People that play soul-crushingly hard games like the original Mega-Man and Super Meat Boy.

B) People that play Farmville.

Idiot.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Cheezymadman posted:

Here's an idea. Let's lump everyone that plays games into two categories.

A) People that play soul-crushingly hard games like the original Mega-Man and Super Meat Boy.

B) People that play Farmville.

Idiot.

Regardless of the false dichotomy that Node described, you made a really dumb point and it was obviously in the context of DS even if you didn't say so.

In fact, difficulty as game design was something that was really common in the days of NES and Atari, and isn't nearly as common now. Do you have any examples of games today that are hard in order to compensate for poor gameplay design?

Hint: Super Meat Boy doesn't count.

Edit: I think Majesty 2 soon after release might have counted, since the game had some insanely difficult levels and required some pretty dumb poo poo in order to beat them. However, the developers patched that game and fixed most of the problems.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 8, 2011

kiph
Apr 28, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
People like Demons Souls cos it's a good game, not cos it's hard. Just leave it at that.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Vertigus posted:

Regardless of the false dichotomy that Node described, you made a really dumb point and it was obviously in the context of DS even if you didn't say so.

In fact, difficulty as game design was something that was really common in the days of NES and Atari, and isn't nearly as common now. Do you have any examples of games today that are hard in order to compensate for poor gameplay design?

Hint: Super Meat Boy doesn't count.

It's not just difficulty, though, it's the idea that if you don't do it perfectly, you're going to die. There's nothing fun to me about a game that requires rote pattern memorization. That's why I run as fast as I can when I see bullet hell games or 2D platformers.

If a game has difficulty settings, I don't automatically go for the easiest one, because that's no fun either. Some games are good when they're challenging. I play racing games with the traction control off and damage on, I play shooters on medium or hard, I play Guitar Hero on expert. It's not that I don't enjoy a challenging game. But when it comes down to "do it perfectly or you're losing all the progress since your last save and half your XP", "grind until you've got the skillpoints to pass this boss", or "memorize this pattern", I just say gently caress it and move on to something fun.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Cheezymadman posted:

It's not just difficulty, though, it's the idea that if you don't do it perfectly, you're going to die. There's nothing fun to me about a game that requires rote pattern memorization. That's why I run as fast as I can when I see bullet hell games or 2D platformers.

That's not an argument for "when difficulty became a substitute for game design," though. You said it yourself - you don't like playing games that require rote pattern memorization, but that's not saying that games in general are adopting it as a trend. The Atari days were loving miserable because almost every game was just...difficult, and not challenging or rewarding.

Today there's such a huge variety of games that everyone gets a piece, though fans of Demons Souls are more hard up for the kind of experience they like than fans of FPS games. If you like the atmosphere, story, and presentation of Demons Souls but think the gameplay is too difficult for you to enjoy, there's probably a few games people could recommend that you'd like. I suggest Gothic 2: Night of the Raven.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Dudebro posted:

Yeah, seriously. I only own a PC as I USED to have a 360 but realized quickly that 60 dollar games on a console that end up being like 10 dollars during any given Steam sale are really not worth looking at. Consoles are cool for what they offer but you can't deny having many more options on a PC.

I would play LBP on my PC if it were ever released, that's one of the very few games available only to consoles that I really want to play.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I have a PS3 that's been gathering dust for months because I used to use it for Netflix, then that went away because I decided to jailbreak it as if having to get up and put my games in the slot was the reason I never actually played anything on it.

It's like when I play a console game I feel like I have to commit to it, whereas on the PC I can play some Crysis 2, switch to another game immediately if I change my mind, alt tab to answer some messages, etc.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

c0burn posted:

PC / Wii

I love FPS and Nintendo first party stuff, best of both for me.
Same. I've only got SDTVs in the house, as all my HD needs (what little they are) are met by my nice PC monitor. The Wii works just fine with my old lovely TVs, while offering still good game experiences like Shattered Memories and HotD: Overkill.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zedd posted:

Well you see, now only owners of the Sony™ Playstation 3™ HD Multimedia Entertainment Platform™ can play LittleBigPlanet 2™; By making a PC version of LittleBigPlanet 2™ you would thus loose the exclusive release status that the game currently has on the Playstation 3™ Platform™

Phrased like this because I have seen people actual argument stuff like that

No, I get it - I just don't understand how that actually benefits anyone other than Sony and why anyone other than a Sony exec would use it in an argument. I mean, I've got an Xbox, but I would never argue that Halo 3 would be a worse game if it was available on the PC. It's just stupid.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

No, I get it - I just don't understand how that actually benefits anyone other than Sony and why anyone other than a Sony exec would use it in an argument. I mean, I've got an Xbox, but I would never argue that Halo 3 would be a worse game if it was available on the PC. It's just stupid.

Because they draw a strong sense of validation from the platform they picked?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Fil5000 posted:

If you invest money in something, you don't want to see it become less than what you imagine it to be, so you fight to the death for it... I guess.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Insanity comes naturally when you allow the welfare of a corporation to become part of your identity. In their view exclusivity is prestige, and a slight against the company is a personal insult. Arguing against the common interest is par for the course with that kind of mentality.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
Din's Curse is half-price on Impulse at the moment.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
Just a heads up for anyone in the same boat as me...

If you own a G13 and you also run Windows 7, and are using Logitech Gaming Software v7.0 if you update to SP1, you will lose functionality from your G13! So if, just hypothetically, you updated to SP1 to install the new Crysis 2 patch and now can't use your gamepad, don't spend all day looking for an answer like I did! Just save all your profiles somewhere nice and safe, uninstall the v7.0 software and get a copy of the legacy (3.06?) software! (And then rebuild ALL of your profiles you want to use!) I'm sure they'll update it any day now.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Are there any discount codes going on right now on D2D?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Brace posted:

Are there any discount codes going on right now on D2D?

According to http://dddeals.blogspot.com/, "SHOWERS" gives you 20% off anything.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Going back a few pages but (re Thief 2):

Cray posted:

Do yourself a favor and keep playing. Life of the Party (the 10th mission) is a treat if you like big levels with lots of stuff to discover.

Holy poo poo you were right this was the best level. It's like two levels in one. Best 97 minutes (I had to backtrack a bit) of the game, I think.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

Holy poo poo you were right this was the best level. It's like two levels in one. Best 97 minutes (I had to backtrack a bit) of the game, I think.

Yeah the best bit is when you realize you've been playing for so long without even starting the "real" mission. Seeing Angelwatch towering over you was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Lacunaa posted:

I'm only PC as well. I'm interested in a few PS3 games (MGS, uncharted, demon souls) but I can't really justify the cost for just a few games when I have a backlog of 35 games on PC.

Yeah, same here. There's a handful of games on PS3 that I'd play, MAG, Killzone 2 / 3 and Uncharted. Possibly Demon's Souls. Those just aren't a reason good enough to buy a console.

That, and the fact that I've been spoiled by PC graphics :smug:. I can't stand the pukestorm of post-processing effects PS3 / 360 uses to hide it's relatively weak graphics.

I also have a backlog of like 60 games. loving Steam.

• Locked thread