Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've installed SP1 and IE9 on a couple dozen Win7 PC's in my office and home. Zero issues with the exception that sometimes SP1 doesn't want to install. Then I have to install the System Update Readiness Tool first:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=914fbc5b-1fba-4bae-a7c3-d2c47c6fcffc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

DogGunn posted:

Anyone have any idea why this error comes up whenever I try and install Windows 7?

Install it how? You mean upgrade to SP1?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

burritonegro posted:

Should I install SP 1 and IE 9? I've been waiting cautiously after reading all the negative stories.

I've yet to hear of any (real) issues with Windows 7 SP1 and IE9.

From personal experience, IE9 is an ugly browser and not worth using since it can't do a fraction of what something like Firefox or even Chrome can do.
But, that's my same perception of IE8, IE7, etc. So if you're a fan of IE, by all means upgrade. There is nothing wrong with IE9 ... compared to older versions of IE.

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat
Got a strange issue today with Win7. Every single program on my PC requires I right-click and 'Run as Admin' for it to start except some 64-bit programs.

I looked up some fixes online but everything is either for XP or is for a similar but unrelated issue.

Any thoughts?

e. I'm running SP1 but had no problems when I updated yesterday.

e2. Rebooted after running Spybot and Avast! and seems to have worked itself out. Nothing was reported though...

Wax On fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 8, 2011

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

As far as I can tell the only reason not to use IE9 is that occasionally you'll run across a website that's using an old js library or something else that doesn't officially support it. Aside from those the only sites I've seen that don't work exactly the same in IE9 and other browsers are sites that were specifically made for a particular browser anyway, like the ones on Chrome's store.

It's really just a matter of taste which one you use.

evale
Dec 20, 2009
I'm running Win7 on a laptop. A few minutes ago, at exactly 1am, the transparency on the taskbar turned off and the computer started running very slow. A restart seems to have solved this problem.

I looked around on the net, and a recent Intel HD graphics update might be the cause. Anyone have a problem similar to this? The update was through Windows Update.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xenomorph posted:

I've yet to hear of any (real) issues with Windows 7 SP1 and IE9.

From personal experience, IE9 is an ugly browser and not worth using since it can't do a fraction of what something like Firefox or even Chrome can do.
But, that's my same perception of IE8, IE7, etc. So if you're a fan of IE, by all means upgrade. There is nothing wrong with IE9 ... compared to older versions of IE.

IE9 is more secure than IE8 and tons of Windows programs use IE to render things. That's why everyone who can upgrade to IE9 should upgrade to IE9.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

evale posted:

I'm running Win7 on a laptop. A few minutes ago, at exactly 1am, the transparency on the taskbar turned off and the computer started running very slow. A restart seems to have solved this problem.

I looked around on the net, and a recent Intel HD graphics update might be the cause. Anyone have a problem similar to this? The update was through Windows Update.

Windows 7 occasionally re-runs the Windows Experience Index assessment. I don't know the trigger or its schedule but your symptoms sound correct.

Go into the "System" control panel and see if the Windows Experience Index needs to be updated.

Crawford
Jul 8, 2010
I set up a W7 USB stick for when I rebuild my computer next week, and I'm having a problem with it.

When I plugged it into my laptop (already running 64-bit W7), it booted fine.

When I tried it on my current desktop (running 32-bit Vista) it didn't recognize the USB drive being plugged in and try and boot from it.

I've already checked the boot order, and Removable Drive is at the top.

Is it not working because I can't boot a 64-bit OS onto a system that's already running 32-bit? If so, would reformatting or partitioning my hard drive fix this?

evale
Dec 20, 2009

MutantBlue posted:

Windows 7 occasionally re-runs the Windows Experience Index assessment. I don't know the trigger or its schedule but your symptoms sound correct.

Go into the "System" control panel and see if the Windows Experience Index needs to be updated.

I did, and it did. Thanks!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Starting about a week ago, windows media player gets into some "stupid" mode in which it seems to take the average color of the scene and makes that color the content of the frame instead of the actual video. Audio is just fine.

It doesn't always happen but once it does, it stays that way until a reboot. It does't matter what videos I load or where I forward to.

If I load the video in VLC, it's fine.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

evale posted:

It could be your graphic drivers hosed something up. It happens to me very rarely, but I keep this .bat file on my desktop to just "reset" Aero;

code:
net stop uxsms
net start uxsms

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Cheesus posted:

Starting about a week ago, windows media player gets into some "stupid" mode in which it seems to take the average color of the scene and makes that color the content of the frame instead of the actual video. Audio is just fine.

It doesn't always happen but once it does, it stays that way until a reboot. It does't matter what videos I load or where I forward to.

If I load the video in VLC, it's fine.
Weird. It's related to IE9 somehow. After I restarted IE9, WMP is playing fine.

evale
Dec 20, 2009

Grawl posted:

It could be your graphic drivers hosed something up. It happens to me very rarely, but I keep this .bat file on my desktop to just "reset" Aero;

code:
net stop uxsms
net start uxsms

Turned out this was the problem...

MutantBlue posted:

But I reset Aero anyway, thanks.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crawford posted:

I set up a W7 USB stick for when I rebuild my computer next week, and I'm having a problem with it.

When I tried it on my current desktop (running 32-bit Vista) it didn't recognize the USB drive being plugged in and try and boot from it.

Is it not working because I can't boot a 64-bit OS onto a system that's already running 32-bit? If so, would reformatting or partitioning my hard drive fix this?

That sounds more like something specific to your desktop; the installed OS has nothing to do with whether or not a disc or removable device will boot. I would suspect something about that USB stick doesn't play right with the desktop; does Vista detect it when it's plugged in? Maybe try a different USB port, like one directly on the motherboard to see if that helps.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Is there a separate Windows 7 Tablet edition, or does any old version of 7 have Tablet PC support? I'd like to buy a copy of this Windows 7 Pro upgrade offer for students, but I'm not sure if it will be useful for the Asus EEE Slate tablet I have.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Xotl posted:

Is there a separate Windows 7 Tablet edition, or does any old version of 7 have Tablet PC support? I'd like to buy a copy of this Windows 7 Pro upgrade offer for students, but I'm not sure if it will be useful for the Asus EEE Slate tablet I have.

All versions of Windows 7 except for Starter have tablet functions. By default, they are hidden until you have installed a Pen or Touch device, at which point you get all the shiny parts of the old XP Tablet Edition plus whatever the device's drivers add. You can also adjust them back to hidden bit-by-bit if, say, you don't like having the pen/touch keyboard tab visible all the time.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Crawford posted:

Check for "USB Legacy" support or something like it in your BIOS settings on the computer that won't work. Sometimes that being in the wrong state will prevent booting from USB devices.

Also, make 100% sure your system is x64 capable (if it's running Vista already, I'd be surprised if it wasn't, but you never know, could be a CoreDuo (not 2) or something).

Crawford
Jul 8, 2010
okay, I'll try the USB slot motherboard and check for the USB Legacy thing.

I was just concerned that it might have been a fluke that it worked for my netbook.

I'm going to be replacing basically everything except the hard drive, so as long as it's not a problem with the current OS or some software thing, I'm fine. Thanks.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I have 7 ultimate on my netbook. I'd like to get the $30 pro and switch my ultimate license to my desktop. What happens if I buy it?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

I have 7 ultimate on my netbook. I'd like to get the $30 pro and switch my ultimate license to my desktop. What happens if I buy it?

Not really sure what you're asking here, and there are a few variables in play.

1.) You can't "roll back" or downgrade a Windows install without doing a clean re-install. So if your netbook has Windows 7 Ultimate and you want to convert it to Windows 7 Pro, that will require a reinstall.

2.) If your netbook came with Ultimate (as in the OEM sticker on the case says "Ultimate") that license has to stay with the netbook and can't be transferred. If it's a separate retail install it's transferable, though.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

raezr posted:

As far as I can tell the only reason not to use IE9 is that occasionally you'll run across a website that's using an old js library or something else that doesn't officially support it. Aside from those the only sites I've seen that don't work exactly the same in IE9 and other browsers are sites that were specifically made for a particular browser anyway, like the ones on Chrome's store.

It's really just a matter of taste which one you use.

You never know. I thought it was perfectly fine where I work but had to roll it back on our machines because a program that uses javascript has trouble displaying info after it refreshes. Compatibility mode won't fix it, and the app will eventually be upgraded next year so no one cares to fix it.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ryokurin posted:

and the app will eventually be upgraded next year so no one cares to fix it.
Enjoy being on IE8 (or whatever version) for the next 10 years.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

tk posted:

Enjoy being on IE8 (or whatever version) for the next 10 years.

Hey, that's still better than being stuck on IE6.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

univbee posted:

Not really sure what you're asking here, and there are a few variables in play.

1.) You can't "roll back" or downgrade a Windows install without doing a clean re-install. So if your netbook has Windows 7 Ultimate and you want to convert it to Windows 7 Pro, that will require a reinstall.

2.) If your netbook came with Ultimate (as in the OEM sticker on the case says "Ultimate") that license has to stay with the netbook and can't be transferred. If it's a separate retail install it's transferable, though.

It came with 7 Starter. I'll have to make a 7 Pro USB stick and then do a new install, then. My netbook's chipset doesn't support trim, I hope this install wont require me installing Vista again to keep it disabled.

The $30 student deal, what happens after you buy it? Do they email you the license key?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dr Tran posted:

The $30 student deal, what happens after you buy it? Do they email you the license key?

Yeah, and they give you a download link that you won't need if you've already got the installer.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr Tran posted:

It came with 7 Starter. I'll have to make a 7 Pro USB stick and then do a new install, then. My netbook's chipset doesn't support trim, I hope this install wont require me installing Vista again to keep it disabled.

You don't need to worry about "disabling" TRIM if the netbook doesn't support it. It simply can't be done.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Dr Tran posted:

You don't need to do a new install if you don't mind changing a few strings in the registry.

http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/upgrade-the-windows-7-rc-to-retail/

Follow from step 3 onwards.
I've personally done this to go from Home->Pro while keeping everything the same on a couple of machines.

edit: and starter to pro, as well, so it works.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I need a reccomendation for a Photo organizer app. My wife has about 40gb worth of photos just sitting in like 500 directories. She wants to go through them all and delete duplicates and be able to tag stuff. I don't mind even paying up to like 100$ if the app is worth it. Also if the app has built in duplication checking that would be awesome.

Fcdts26 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 15, 2011

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nask26 posted:

I need a reccomendation for a Photo organizer app. My wife has about 40gb worth of photos just sitting in like 500 directories. She wants to go through them all and delete duplicates and be able to tag stuff. I don't mind even paying up to like 100$ if the app is worth it. Also if the app has built in duplication checking that would be awesome.

Google Picasa

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
VisiPics does a better job than Picasa at finding duplicates by similarity, if you have any recompressed or resized versions of the same image hanging around. Also, it's a lot smaller than Picasa. Although I don't think it will handle the tagging aspect. So just use it for weeding out the duplicates first.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

kode54 posted:

VisiPics does a better job than Picasa at finding duplicates by similarity, if you have any recompressed or resized versions of the same image hanging around. Also, it's a lot smaller than Picasa. Although I don't think it will handle the tagging aspect. So just use it for weeding out the duplicates first.

This is an excellent application. Just weeded out a whole bunch.

I also use Dupfile which works much faster but only handles files that are exact duplicates (besides names). I think running Dupfile first and then Visipics would be the best choice (at least for duplication checking), so that Visipics doesn't have to go through the exact matches.

Druuge Fuel
Jul 9, 2010

I upgraded from 32bit to 64bit using the same (legit) product key I purchased from my university. Now, I'm getting a Windows Activation Error. I was under the impression that this was an acceptable, legal method. Is there something I have to do to deactivate my prior product key association?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Druuge Fuel posted:

I upgraded from 32bit to 64bit using the same (legit) product key I purchased from my university. Now, I'm getting a Windows Activation Error. I was under the impression that this was an acceptable, legal method. Is there something I have to do to deactivate my prior product key association?

Yes, it's legal. Sometimes, it will trigger reactivation even if what you're doing is perfectly cool by the rules (for instance, if you transplant a significant amount of hardware). Call the phone number it gives you.

Druuge Fuel
Jul 9, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

Yes, it's legal. Sometimes, it will trigger reactivation even if what you're doing is perfectly cool by the rules (for instance, if you transplant a significant amount of hardware). Call the phone number it gives you.
I have the same exact hardware as I did prior to the upgrade. I suppose I'll give them a call now though, thanks.

EDIT: Phone activation was successful and easy, nice.

Druuge Fuel fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 16, 2011

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Druuge Fuel posted:

I have the same exact hardware as I did prior to the upgrade. I suppose I'll give them a call now though, thanks.

EDIT: Phone activation was successful and easy, nice.

As far as the system's concerned, you moved an awful lot of hardware around: there's a "new" processor, and a whole lot of new 64-bit drivers. Yeah, it's the same set of physical objects, but at the level where Windows interacts with them they look pretty different.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I have XP right now and I'm going to upgrade to Windows 7. Is there a way to do a "fresh" install but not remove a few directories? I've got a lot of files I don't want to purge but I do want a new Program Files/Users/Windows directories.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Boner Wad posted:

I have XP right now and I'm going to upgrade to Windows 7. Is there a way to do a "fresh" install but not remove a few directories? I've got a lot of files I don't want to purge but I do want a new Program Files/Users/Windows directories.

This is pretty much the default. You can't do a straight upgrade without Vista in the mix, but you don't have to wipe the drive, either.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Are there any deals for students that aren't upgrade versions? I need a clean install license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Jam2 posted:

Are there any deals for students that aren't upgrade versions? I need a clean install license.

Well, if you're in a compsci-ish program, your school probably pays for MSDN AA access. Otherwise, just buy the $30 upgrade and drop it on top of an unactivated demo installation. It's technically against the license, but it works, and Microsoft doesn't give a poo poo as long as you buy some sort of key.