Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
So I found this thread while looking for a dedicated server.

I currently have a reseller account with HawkHost, it's run by a friend of mine (not a goon). I am a bit bias, but I've yet to find anyone as good as him and recommend him to anyone looking for a good cheap shared host. I don't think I've had any downtime in the last 2 years, he doesn't put too many accounts on the same server (speeds are consistently at my max of 500KB/s down and no issues except the one time I wrote some terrible code...).
It helps that he doesn't charge extra for stupid poo poo. For examples, every account includes unlimited e-mails, subdomains, etc. And cPanel. I love cPanel.

I don't like his mascot though and he does have people in India doing support occasionally but they typically do a good job and he's usually reachable through IM or the forums.

Unfortunately he does not offer dedicated servers which is what brought me here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Is there a quick way to migrate stuff from a windows plesk server to whm on linux? Like beyond just scp'ing and mysqldump'ing everything over etc. This looks like a major pain in the rear end. :shepicide:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

A c E posted:

So I found this thread while looking for a dedicated server.

I currently have a reseller account with HawkHost, it's run by a friend of mine (not a goon). I am a bit bias, but I've yet to find anyone as good as him and recommend him to anyone looking for a good cheap shared host. I don't think I've had any downtime in the last 2 years, he doesn't put too many accounts on the same server (speeds are consistently at my max of 500KB/s down and no issues except the one time I wrote some terrible code...).
It helps that he doesn't charge extra for stupid poo poo. For examples, every account includes unlimited e-mails, subdomains, etc. And cPanel. I love cPanel.

I don't like his mascot though and he does have people in India doing support occasionally but they typically do a good job and he's usually reachable through IM or the forums.

Unfortunately he does not offer dedicated servers which is what brought me here.

BurstNet is cheap and reliable. I've been using them for years. They offer VPS too if you don't want a full dedicated.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Pram posted:

Is there a quick way to migrate stuff from a windows plesk server to whm on linux? Like beyond just scp'ing and mysqldump'ing everything over etc. This looks like a major pain in the rear end. :shepicide:

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/WHMDocs/CopyMultiple

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I wish it was that easy, but I was told that thing doesn't work with plesk on windows by cPanel support.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

less than three posted:

BurstNet is cheap and reliable. I've been using them for years. They offer VPS too if you don't want a full dedicated.

That is some really cheap VPS hosting.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Comatoast posted:

That is some really cheap VPS hosting.

I wouldn't touch openvz but that's just a personal thing. Would much rather get a KVM/ESX/Xen HVM VPS even if it cost more.

Burst vpses are okay if you enter with reasonable expectations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

I wouldn't touch openvz but that's just a personal thing. Would much rather get a KVM/ESX/Xen HVM VPS even if it cost more.

Burst vpses are okay if you enter with reasonable expectations.

Do you know anything about their 'SolusVM' implementation for Windows VMs? I assume there are drawbacks compared to Hyper-V, but they are the only place I've seen that is cheaper than GoDaddy for Windows 2008 VPS.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

B-Nasty posted:

Do you know anything about their 'SolusVM' implementation for Windows VMs? I assume there are drawbacks compared to Hyper-V, but they are the only place I've seen that is cheaper than GoDaddy for Windows 2008 VPS.

Solusvm is a cheap vps control panel, not a virtualisation technology. don't know what they're using for virtualisation.

Kinda unrelated but I wouldn't use any godaddy product for pretty much any reason...

Gelob
Jun 9, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

Solusvm is a cheap vps control panel, not a virtualisation technology. don't know what they're using for virtualisation.

Kinda unrelated but I wouldn't use any godaddy product for pretty much any reason...

SolusVM normally uses OpenVZ but it can be used with Xen as well. http://wiki.solusvm.com/index.php/Xen_Virtualization

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Biowarfare posted:

I wouldn't touch openvz but that's just a personal thing.

:smug::respek::clint:

Xen for life in my case.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

less than three posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. I went with a full dedicated with SoftLayer.com. Apparently that's where HawkHost gets their servers from. So far I'm impressed, but I don't know much about the whole dedicated server crap so we'll see.

Sloan
Jul 26, 2001

A c E posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. I went with a full dedicated with SoftLayer.com. Apparently that's where HawkHost gets their servers from. So far I'm impressed, but I don't know much about the whole dedicated server crap so we'll see.

I've used Softlayer for many things and have never had a problem.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
I've been spoiled by VPSes, I find dedicated servers annoying to deal with. I swear I remember reading about an offering where you basically got a dedicated server to yourself but it has a single VPS installed on it so you sort of got the best of both worlds.

For the life of me I can't find it right now 'semi-dedicated' and 'hybrid' now seem to be more like the shared hosting model of just putting you on a box with fewer users not a box to yourself.

Would like to try a setup like that out someday and see if it's as good as I hope it is.

\/\/\/ Yeah That iWeb offering, thanks! I have to worked with EC2 with my job and there's no way in hell I'm going to subject myself to that :v:

orphean fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 7, 2011

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

orphean posted:

I've been spoiled by VPSes, I find dedicated servers annoying to deal with. I swear I remember reading about an offering where you basically got a dedicated server to yourself but it has a single VPS installed on it so you sort of got the best of both worlds.

For the life of me I can't find it right now 'semi-dedicated' and 'hybrid' now seem to be more like the shared hosting model of just putting you on a box with fewer users not a box to yourself.

Would like to try a setup like that out someday and see if it's as good as I hope it is.
Something like https://aws.amazon.com/dedicated-instances/ or http://iweb.com/dedicated/smart-servers/

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I think I may have a deadbeat host, and they may be holding my domain hostage.

2 years ago I signed up with Nixihost.com. They had a deal for $10.01 that got you a year of hosting and a domain for a year. Great! Nixi has been problematic, and often slow, so I need to switch to something more reliable. I have a new host (hostgator), but Nixi is the administrative contact on the domain. Their website claims 24/7 technical support, though it's now been 48 hours since I sent in a request for the authorization key for the domain, and I've received no response.

This is their website:
https://www.nixihost.com

Right now I'm slightly mortified that they're holding my domain hostage and I'll be forced to renew my hosting with them at the end of the month. IIRC, Nixi is/was goon-run. Anyone familiar with them and how to get ahold of anyone?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Pram posted:

I wish it was that easy, but I was told that thing doesn't work with plesk on windows by cPanel support.

Don't think there is any easy way around that. It works fine on Linux servers if you can get root ssh access to for the Plesk machine.

Create the accounts, rsync the html directory, create the databases, which in cpanel by default normally start with username_

I have one in my admin queue now to move a FreeBSD machine originally from 2006 without a control panel over to cpanel. Will be fun fun fun.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

angryhampster posted:

Right now I'm slightly mortified that they're holding my domain hostage and I'll be forced to renew my hosting with them at the end of the month. IIRC, Nixi is/was goon-run. Anyone familiar with them and how to get ahold of anyone?

Gotta love hosts who post no contact information other than a web form, and pay for WHOIS privacy on their domain.

Send me an e-mail to lessthanthree with your domain and I'll see which ICANN registrar you could get a hold of.

less than three fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 8, 2011

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

less than three posted:

Gotta love hosts who post no contact information other than a web form, and pay for WHOIS privacy on their domain.

Send me an e-mail to lessthanthree [at] nekonex.com with your domain and I'll see which ICANN registrar you could get a hold of.

Sent! :)

The only phone number I can find is via godaddy's whois. That number is a Google Voice number based in Houston. UGh.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

angryhampster posted:

I think I may have a deadbeat host, and they may be holding my domain hostage.

2 years ago I signed up with Nixihost.com. They had a deal for $10.01 that got you a year of hosting and a domain for a year. Great! Nixi has been problematic, and often slow, so I need to switch to something more reliable. I have a new host (hostgator), but Nixi is the administrative contact on the domain. Their website claims 24/7 technical support, though it's now been 48 hours since I sent in a request for the authorization key for the domain, and I've received no response.

This is their website:
https://www.nixihost.com

Hey bud,

We're waiting on GoDaddy (we use them since its cheapest and we get a nice discount as part of WildWest/Domain Club) to release the epp. We've actually been moving all of our GoDaddy domains over to reseller club and as such GoDaddy throttled the amount of EPPs they'll send out to like 10 an hour. I'll see if we can get yours in the next batch. I was just going to send it to you when it came through in your batch.

We're not trying to make you renew hosting with us as that'd be pretty unscrupulous and I'm not sure where you got that idea from.

In regards to privacy on our domain that is our actual contact info. Voicemails and letters actually get through to a human being but I'll be honest we're pretty slow to respond to those forms of contact.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

For the record, I did receive an e-mail response from Chris in sales about 20 minutes ago.

Perhaps if you will be admittedly slow to respond to any form of contact, and not even provide a phone number to your customers, then you should remove this from your website:

"Our skilled support professionals are available 24 hours a day to assist you with any problems that you might have and provide our 99.5% uptime guarantee. We are currently available by both trouble ticket support and live chat."

Not only is the note about live chat an outright lie, but it took almost exactly 48 hours to get a response from Nixi regarding my account.

I guess I got what I paid for, and not much else.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

angryhampster posted:

For the record, I did receive an e-mail response from Chris in sales about 20 minutes ago.

Perhaps if you will be admittedly slow to respond to any form of contact, and not even provide a phone number to your customers, then you should remove this from your website:

"Our skilled support professionals are available 24 hours a day to assist you with any problems that you might have and provide our 99.5% uptime guarantee. We are currently available by both trouble ticket support and live chat."

Not only is the note about live chat an outright lie, but it took almost exactly 48 hours to get a response from Nixi regarding my account.

I guess I got what I paid for, and not much else.

Like I said earlier we're doing a bulk transfer away from GoDaddy so EPP requests are taking way longer than usual. I apologize that we didn't update you on the progress but this is a pretty atypical situation. I actually looked through your previous tickets with us and show we've always gotten back to you in 4-24 hours.

In regards to livechat we did demo the program for a little while but decided against it since 99% of issues are quickly resolved through tickets. Looks like we forgot to remove it from our site during the last redesign and I'll have that corrected asap.

I'm sorry you feel you had such a terrible experience with us and I'd like to do what I can to correct it. If you want to talk to me directly you can email support@nixihost.com with ATTN:Ken in the title and I'll work with you 1 on 1.

Return Of JimmyJars fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 8, 2011

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
How do I go about getting an EPP code regenerated? My previous host is not being very helpful, or misunderstanding my request, so I just want to know if this is my inexperience or their incompetence.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 8, 2011

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oh My Science posted:

How do I go about getting an EPP code regenerated? My previous host is not being very helpful, or misunderstanding my request, so I just want to know if this is my inexperience or their incompetence.

If the domain is registered in your name, they have 5 calendar days to provide the Auth-Info code to you.

After that time, contact the registrar you're transferring to and they can file a dispute related to violation of the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

less than three posted:

If the domain is registered in your name, they have 5 calendar days to provide the Auth-Info code to you.

After that time, contact the registrar you're transferring to and they can file a dispute related to violation of the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy.

They have provided the auth code, and maintain that it is correct, however the transfer will still not process. I have also been told that they cannot "regenerate" the EPP code, although my new registrar is telling me that is what must be done. At the moment I do not know what steps to take to get this resolved, aside from possibly filing a dispute. It doesn't help that I have relatively no experience with this situation.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I apologize that we didn't update you on the progress but this is a pretty atypical situation.

Unfortunately, these are the issues that consumers pay the most attention to. "If I have an 'out of the oridnary problem/atypical' it will take days to resolve, with no updates on the status of the ticket, or progress shown that the issue is currently and actively being worked on. But if I need a simple MX record changed, it will take 0.37 seconds"

With good reasons, consumers need to pay more attention to how hosting companies handle "atypical" situations, not just how fast they respond to "hey i need this port opened."

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

eightysixed posted:

Unfortunately, these are the issues that consumers pay the most attention to. "If I have an 'out of the oridnary problem/atypical' it will take days to resolve, with no updates on the status of the ticket, or progress shown that the issue is currently and actively being worked on. But if I need a simple MX record changed, it will take 0.37 seconds"

With good reasons, consumers need to pay more attention to how hosting companies handle "atypical" situations, not just how fast they respond to "hey i need this port opened."

To be fair it takes about the same amount of time to get an EPP as it does to add an MX record. Our biggest hurdle was actually getting the drat things from GoDaddy which is part of the reason we're dropping them in the first place. I'll gladly accept fault for not keeping angryhamster posted but it's not really necessary to come on here and accuse of being deadbeats and holding domains hostage until people pay us for hosting. That's not something that we EVER been done and we've always done our best to be prompt to customer requests.

My posts on here should be a testament to the fact we go far beyond the majority of other shared hosts.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

To be fair it takes about the same amount of time to get an EPP as it does to add an MX record. Our biggest hurdle was actually getting the drat things from GoDaddy which is part of the reason we're dropping them in the first place. I'll gladly accept fault for not keeping angryhamster posted but it's not really necessary to come on here and accuse of being deadbeats and holding domains hostage until people pay us for hosting. That's not something that we EVER been done and we've always done our best to be prompt to customer requests.

My posts on here should be a testament to the fact we go far beyond the majority of other shared hosts.

Understood, and I agree. I always appreciate the goon run hosts who provide support/post on these forums in addition to regular ticket support.

I guess it was just the implication of 'atypical problem = more time' thing. I've run into a few hosts like that, and when asked for a real technical support issue, you can tell you're just getting boiler plate/run around answers. And that usually implies incompetence.

:)

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I do appreciate the follow-up you've offered in the last 24 hours. However, when my initial request went unanswered for two whole days and there is no viable contact information publicly listed on the website, do you think my frustrations weren't warranted?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

it's not really necessary to come on here and accuse of being deadbeats and holding domains hostage until people pay us for hosting. That's not something that we EVER been done and we've always done our best to be prompt to customer requests.

In his defense, you weren't replying to his ticket/informing him so how was he supposed to know what the hell you were up to?

adonis_dna
Mar 20, 2011

by T. Finn
I'm shopping around for a dedicated server to host my ASP.NET application and could use some help, specifically on choosing how much/how little hardware I need. I know it's a tough/relative question, but hear me out:

The application is SAAS. I expect to have only 100 users within a year but will also be hosting the simple HTML "storefront" site on the same server which will be where non-members can read about and purchase the application. Users get 1GB of storage and the application itself does a lot of database work; an average page load involves 2-10 SQL queries and a single user might create anywhere from 1,000-30,000 entries.

I'm looking at this package from SoftLayer:

Processor: Xeon 5130 Dual Core (Single Processor)
1 x 4MB Cache
2GB FB-DIMM 533 / 667 ECC RAM
Reboot / KVM Over IP
3000GB Public Bandwidth
Free Inbound Bandwidth
Free Private Network Bandwidth
1 Public IP Address
Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit
250GB Harddrive

Should this be capable of handling the load I described? What typically creates bottlenecks in these sorts of situations (e.g. number of queries per second, number of entries per user, page size..)?

As you can tell, I'm very familiar with the programming side of things but this is my first excursion into server management. :)

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

adonis_dna posted:

I'm shopping around for a dedicated server to host my ASP.NET application and could use some help, specifically on choosing how much/how little hardware I need. I know it's a tough/relative question, but hear me out:

The application is SAAS. I expect to have only 100 users within a year but will also be hosting the simple HTML "storefront" site on the same server which will be where non-members can read about and purchase the application. Users get 1GB of storage and the application itself does a lot of database work; an average page load involves 2-10 SQL queries and a single user might create anywhere from 1,000-30,000 entries.

I'm looking at this package from SoftLayer:

Processor: Xeon 5130 Dual Core (Single Processor)
1 x 4MB Cache
2GB FB-DIMM 533 / 667 ECC RAM
Reboot / KVM Over IP
3000GB Public Bandwidth
Free Inbound Bandwidth
Free Private Network Bandwidth
1 Public IP Address
Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit
250GB Harddrive

Should this be capable of handling the load I described? What typically creates bottlenecks in these sorts of situations (e.g. number of queries per second, number of entries per user, page size..)?

As you can tell, I'm very familiar with the programming side of things but this is my first excursion into server management. :)

SQL is likely going to be your downfall. You may consider a cheap server to host the content and have a slightly beefier server that is strictly SQL. You get free private network bandwidth and can have the SQL server non-public facing but directly accessible by the web server. This may be a bit over-kill to get you started but its definitely something to consider.

Edit:
That server should do just fine to get you started. You can always upgrade hardware and add drives. The only thing to consider is you can't upgrade your 250gb drive to a 1TB drive later if needed without significant cost from Softlayer. They'll add second and third drives but swapping your primary drive gets expensive. You might start with a larger drive to save cost later. I would also suggest a second drive so you can setup a mirror. It at least provides a basic redundancy in the event of a hardware failure.

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 9, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

adonis_dna posted:

It's real tough to say depending on the app and how busy it is. We have a dual-quad Xeon with 12GB that hosts both an mySQL server, and an Apache web server, and there's around 50,000 users accessing the site every day. Mostly just logging in and logging data, but there's a small percentage of users that are uploading photos and stuff like that.

I'd personally set it up on a PC locally, and then make some sort of load testing script that simulates user access. Your big issues will probably be RAM and disk, plus what's your backup strategy?

adonis_dna
Mar 20, 2011

by T. Finn

Bob Morales posted:

I'd personally set it up on a PC locally, and then make some sort of load testing script that simulates user access. Your big issues will probably be RAM and disk, plus what's your backup strategy?

I was going to go with a managed backup solution, I think SoftLayer offers EVault for $20 extra per month.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I just need to purchase a domain name and link it to my IP. Is there a cheaper place to do this than godaddy.com? Because that's like 12$ a year, and I don't even need it for that long.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Zero The Hero posted:

I just need to purchase a domain name and link it to my IP. Is there a cheaper place to do this than godaddy.com? Because that's like 12$ a year, and I don't even need it for that long.

http://www.domainsite.com/ has .info for $5.

http://www.dyndns.com/ will give you a subdomain for free.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Thanks, but I was actually looking for a .com. Maybe I'll settle for something else or maybe I'll just pay the 12. Not sure.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Zero The Hero posted:

Thanks, but I was actually looking for a .com. Maybe I'll settle for something else or maybe I'll just pay the 12. Not sure.

http://www.namecheap.com

http://www.namecheap.com?aff=6237 if you're feeling generous (thanks)

ichorclaw
Oct 31, 2010

by Fistgrrl

ichorclaw fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
For anyone who runs their own servers (Virtual or otherwise) and hosts their own DNS and Mail I've found these sites to be pretty drat useful tools:
  • IntoDNS
    Comprehensive DNS server configuration reporting.
  • EmailSecurityGrader
    A report with lots of mailserver diagnostics including block lists, spf, relay, clear text auth, and more.
  • Send an email from your mailserver to: check-auth@verifier.port25.com and you'll get back a report letting you know how a series of tests went. In particular DomainKeys and DKIM can be easily checked.
  • Pingdom Tools
    A small collection of tools included another DNS checker (I prefer IntoDNS), ping/traceroute, and web page load time testing which is the biggest win here.
Hardly comprehensive but very useful. DNSStuff probably still does alot of these tasks better but I'm still annoyed with how they decided to monetize their offerings plus I think they cost too much.