Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Manos del Sino posted:

I'm still more steamed at Comedy Central about that than SciFi. For me, SciFi is the channel responsible for giving MST3K a few extra years. Comedy Central will forever be the bastards that took away my Turkey Day marathon.

The problem was they repeated the same ten episodes, when they had a library of hundreds available to them. I always got excited when I turned it on and it was "oh, Mole Men.. they played this one yesterday."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

They're doing a Syfy Original Movie based on Red Faction? I'll probably watch that just in the hope of seeing the T-1000 exploiting live action Geo-Mod technology.

Blood and Chrome is still the only one I know for sure I'll watch, although Legend Quest could be fun to watch just because I like hearing ridiculous historical conspiracy theory stuff, and In the Dark has the potential to be funny. The whole ghost hunter genre just sets up so many ways it could be riffed on.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Simstim posted:

I'd love for SciFi to do a series based on the Dumarest saga. The scripts could write themselves, just follow the books chronologically.

And I would LOVE for SciFi to do a miniseries on Ringworld.

After they screwed up Riverworld not once, but twice, are you sure you want to trust them with that?

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018
Just when you thought a cable show couldn't have worse ratings than SGU, Caprica, etc:

Marcel’s Quantum Kitchen (SYFY)
- 0.602 million viewers
- 0.4/1 HH
- 0.3/1 A18-49

That's even worse than the certain to be cancelled FX series Lights Out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't feel too terrible for that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Makarov_ posted:

Just when you thought a cable show couldn't have worse ratings than SGU, Caprica, etc:

- 0.602 million viewers
- 0.4/1 HH
- 0.3/1 A18-49

Prediction: this gets 4 seasons, Blood and Chrome gets 1 and a half.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Unfortunately there's a big difference there, being a "reality" show, Quantum Kitchen is probably cheap as poo poo to make and thus easier to keep around.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Makarov_ posted:

- 0.602 million viewers
- 0.4/1 HH
- 0.3/1 A18-49

Yeah, but it costs like 2 dollars to make, and I bet Siffy/NBC owns it outright.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Makarov_ posted:

- 0.602 million viewers
- 0.4/1 HH
- 0.3/1 A18-49

The only cooking show I like is Heston's Feast from the BBC.

One, because is doesn't rely on him acting like a oval office all the time or manufacturing 'drama' to make the show interesting.

Two, because he finds menus from hundreds of years ago and recreates them. What people used to find tasty is incredible. Frog blancmange. Snail porridge.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

For people who have missed Joe Flanigan of Stargate Atlantis fame, he'll be in a new Syfy picture Saturday evening which got a positive review:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/ferocious-planet-syfy-2011

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Teek posted:

For people who have missed Joe Flanigan of Stargate Atlantis fame, he'll be in a new Syfy picture Saturday evening which got a positive review:

And with John Rhys-Davies!

Joe Flanigan

quote:

Synn’s a burned-out soldier with a checkered past and all he wants to do is get through this babysitting gig so he can get busy with retirement and spend the rest of his days on his boat.

Sounds like he is really stretching his acting. Good for him I suppose.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Teek posted:

Oh yeah, totally watching this.

This Land That Time Forgot movie on before it isn't that bad either by Siffy movie standards.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Teek posted:

I just tuned into this and I'm assuming I haven't missed much: scientists test portal device, trap everyone in an alternate dimension? That about right?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Yeah, I just tuned in too. Can someone give a one sentence summary of the first hour?

Oh, and after Ferocious Planet is Savage Planet! This part of space is apparently just full of bad places.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

This is amazing, 15 minutes in the accents are horrendous. John Rhys-Davies bounces from his native british to a horrible southern accent completely at random, several of the others sound like Irish trying to sound American. Oh it's just glorious.

Polaron posted:

I just tuned into this and I'm assuming I haven't missed much: scientists test portal device, trap everyone in an alternate dimension? That about right?

Yeah that seems to be the general premise.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
This is really bad in all the best ways.

EDIT: Calling it now, it's not the right Earth.

EDIT2: Oh, come on! THAT'S how they end it?! Weak! :argh:

Polaron fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 10, 2011

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Weak ending, but a fun movie. Now for some adventures on Planet Oxygen.

This is like the weirdest beginning to a movie.

Macheted arm -> pit of ruins -> green slime -> regrown hand -> BEAR!

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

DorianGravy posted:

Macheted arm -> pit of ruins -> green slime -> regrown hand -> BEAR!

AAH, I saw that one! As I remember it was pretty horrible. Those bears cause some shenanigans.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DorianGravy posted:

Weak ending, but a fun movie.

That's basically every Siffy movie that is any good to begin with. And I totally understand it. That's amateur writing's signature - way frontloaded with no idea how to do a good ending. Hell, even big budget major productions do that, like BSG and Lost.

Overall I enjoyed it, because it was enjoyably horrible and it had Colonel Sheppard.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

IRQ posted:

Oh yeah, totally watching this.

This Land That Time Forgot movie on before it isn't that bad either by Siffy movie standards.

Their Land That Time Forgot wasn't as good as the original (which says a LOT) but yeah, it was decent. So was their post apocalyptica movie with Sean Bean a few months ago. Not great, but watchable.

Ferocious Planet fit that bill as well. Far better than the alien invasion one a few weeks ago that had horrible cgi (worse than FP), 4 different and inconsistent alien designs, horrible acting, an insane plot, and tropes from 10 other alien movies. SyFy movies tend to do better when they keep it simpler.

I also loved the fact that John Rhys-Davies had such high billing and was in it for about 5 minutes. :laugh:

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Battle of Los Angeles was pretty hilariously awful. It was fun picking out which guns where just repainted nerf guns. I know I saw a Raider for certain.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Magnus Condomus posted:

Battle of Los Angeles was pretty hilariously awful. It was fun picking out which guns where just repainted nerf guns. I know I saw a Raider for certain.

Yeah that was the alien one I was talking about. It was so low budget and incoherent. It was like watching a movie on MST3K.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Battle of Los Angeles was made by Asylum though, not Siffy, their entire business model is "make lovely B-movie, name it something dissimilar enough to a feature film not to get sued, release it at the same time, make money off stupid people and grandmas."

See also: Snakes on a Train, Transmorphers, etc.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

IRQ posted:

Battle of Los Angeles was made by Asylum though, not Siffy, their entire business model is "make lovely B-movie, name it something dissimilar enough to a feature film not to get sued, release it at the same time, make money off stupid people and grandmas."

See also: Snakes on a Train, Transmorphers, etc.

Ah, but this was the first one to "Premier" on Syfy before the DVD release.

--edit, actually I could be wrong about that. MegaPiranha may have premiered on SYFY as well.

Magnus Condomus fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 10, 2011

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sanctuary is back on tonight. I'm really looking forward to it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

http://io9.com/#!5793136/farscape-creator-teams-up-with-syfy-for-huge-new-series

This hopefully will make up for my complaint earlier that there's no big genre ideas coming from the network. Now to wait and see just what it will be.

Hopefully not Alien Nation, I'm a bit burned out after the poor showing of V.

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 19, 2011

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I agree with the first reply there, I would accept SeaQuest DSV: The Next Generation.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
If you weren't looking forward to the latest Asylum knockoff The Almighty Thor airing this Saturday, you will be after watching this trailer:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/04/21/almighty-thor-trailer-the-asylum/

Yes, that is Thor firing an Uzi. Also there are dinosaurs. :colbert:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
No way the other dude from 21 jump street is in it. I'm watchin.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

So did anyone catch The Almighty Thor this past weekened? How was it?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

SyFy prepping Warehouse 13 spinoff around HG Wells in the 1800s:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/syfy-prepping-warehouse-13-spinoff-188019

It sounds similar to the Houdini show they had in the pipeline. Wonder if this means both might go to series or if it'll come down to which has the best pilot.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/syfy-developing-series-about-harry-houdini-and-arthur-conan-doyle-solving-mysteries/

I think the Houdini show sounds better in theory, at least being able to possibly explore the occult and magic.

Teek fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 13, 2011

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Astroman posted:

I feel that every day "Syfy" exists is one less day somebody else could be trying to do a REAL Science Fiction channel. Like that "Space" thing they have up in Canada.

It's not going to happen for many years. The whole industry has been moving away from theme channels and towards the same generic mash of poo poo. I mean, I honestly think if you started a whole channel themed around reality TV - literally some of the cheapest poo poo you can air - you'd eventually start to have non-reality programming creep in.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's not going to happen for many years. The whole industry has been moving away from theme channels and towards the same generic mash of poo poo. I mean, I honestly think if you started a whole channel themed around reality TV - literally some of the cheapest poo poo you can air - you'd eventually start to have non-reality programming creep in.

The irony there is the Fox Reality Channel lasted for about five years, then was re-branded as National Geographic Wild.

But yeah, the only theme channel I can think of off the top of my head that still sticks to its theme is the Food Network, and even then it's "ultimate pastry showdown!!!!11" poo poo half the time.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Johnny Longtorso posted:

The irony there is the Fox Reality Channel lasted for about five years, then was re-branded as National Geographic Wild.

But yeah, the only theme channel I can think of off the top of my head that still sticks to its theme is the Food Network, and even then it's "ultimate pastry showdown!!!!11" poo poo half the time.
The networks's with really weak themes that lend themselves to cheap reality shows like Food Network, Animal Planet, HGTV, etc. stick to their themes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Holy poo poo Starblazers

So Starz Media actually buys themselves airtime late at night on the SyFy channel US and shows 2-episode blocks of anime late Thursday night/early Friday morning, some good (TTGL), some bad (Chrono Crusade), some just badly dubbed (Monster), and it turns out they've actually been airing the original Starblazers for a few weeks now.

Sure it looks bad but given it's age that's not surprising

The block is taking a break in June as it always does, but until then you too can bask in the nostalgia of early 80's english localization and dubbing!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Syfy has picked up the first two seasons of Lost Girl, a Canadian show about a succubus. Has anyone seen it before? Any good?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/18/syfy-lost-girl/

It sounds like the type of show which would work better on Cinemax...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cardboard Box A posted:

Holy poo poo Starblazers

So Starz Media actually buys themselves airtime late at night on the SyFy channel US and shows 2-episode blocks of anime late Thursday night/early Friday morning, some good (TTGL), some bad (Chrono Crusade), some just badly dubbed (Monster), and it turns out they've actually been airing the original Starblazers for a few weeks now.

Sure it looks bad but given it's age that's not surprising

The block is taking a break in June as it always does, but until then you too can bask in the nostalgia of early 80's english localization and dubbing!

Somebody should buy time and goddamn show Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Teek posted:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/syfy-developing-series-about-harry-houdini-and-arthur-conan-doyle-solving-mysteries/

I think the Houdini show sounds better in theory, at least being able to possibly explore the occult and magic.
It can either play out like history did which would be really fun or it can be really boring and dumb which is what the article implies. Houdini was always the rationalist and contrary to what that article says Doyle was insane.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 18, 2011

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Teek posted:

Syfy has picked up the first two seasons of Lost Girl, a Canadian show about a succubus. Has anyone seen it before? Any good?

It sounds like the type of show which would work better on Cinemax...
It only sounds like a Skinemax show, it's not actually explicit, and it's mostly done for humor. With the budget it certainly fits right in with SciFi shows.

Astroman posted:

Somebody should buy time and goddamn show Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Someone would have to license and dub it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Teek posted:

I liked it, but mostly for the sidekick character.