Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Welp, I've given up on ASUS. My first P8P67 Pro wouldn't post so I went out and got just the vanilla board since Fry's was out of the Pro. This time it powers on but won't display anything. I go through the normal steps of reseating the video card, ram, etc and clearing CMOS to no avail. After being on for about 30 seconds a small flame shot out of the motherboard. Guess I'm going back to Gigabyte once I return this. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

movax posted:

What? Pro has a bracket (at least if you do your RMA via Asus, you get a new retail box, not just a bare board. So I have two of everything now!)
Oh so it does, I guess I was thinking of the Deluxe breakout box.

I'm not RMA'ing the board through Asus, just getting a refund through NewEgg since I want to do an upgrade from an LE to at least a Pro.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

greasyhands posted:

I had this problem for a few before I figured out you had to press enter after entering the FSB speed- it appears to set it even if you don't, but it actually doesn't until you hit enter.
Ah ok. Might see how long it stays stable on the 103 clock before changing. Thanks for the info :)

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
Sorry for shifting gears on the current topic folks, just had a couple questions about these new platforms. I'm currently using a Core2 e5200 dual core with a GTX 460 1gb. I'm trying to run most of my games at 1920x1080. Will moving to a 2500k system really make much difference? Most of the benchmarks I manage to find compare the new systems with the previous gen i-series stuff.

Almost 100% of my system usage is PC gaming (Just Cause 2, Red Faction Guerrilla, GTA4, etc. etc... and a handful of flash games).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

A lot of newer games are taking advantage of CPUs with more than two cores. GTA4 was a huge CPU hog, it used to max out my Q6600 system, and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 runs far better on a quad core CPU than a dual core.

This Tech Report has a good review of the SB chips, and compares it to other CPUs:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20188/7

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
Thanks! That's probably the most comprehensive review I've yet seen (and it uses the same video card with a somewhat similar processor). Didn't realize I was that far behind the curve already. :)

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I've been trying to go through the last few pages of the thread to see if the Sandy Bridge issues have been worked out. I'm looking to build a new computer, and wanted to make sure the kinks were out of the system before investing in a new processor and board. From what it looks like the manufacturers have updated boards to fix some of the issues seen previously.

Is this true, or do I need to wait a while longer before jumping into the Sandy Bridge world?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Vectorwulf posted:

Thanks! That's probably the most comprehensive review I've yet seen (and it uses the same video card with a somewhat similar processor). Didn't realize I was that far behind the curve already. :)

The only reason I upgraded from my E6600 to 2600K goodness is because I was beginning to get CPU bound in games. I don't like closing all my other apps to play games and have a habit of leaving VMs running accidentally, so the extra threads + 16GB RAM really comes in handy. (I had the C2D paired with a GTX460 as well and was getting abysmal performance in many titles).

@Falco: yes, hardware kinks are out, feel free to purchase Sandy Bridge hardware.

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 2, 2013

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

Falco posted:

I've been trying to go through the last few pages of the thread to see if the Sandy Bridge issues have been worked out. I'm looking to build a new computer, and wanted to make sure the kinks were out of the system before investing in a new processor and board. From what it looks like the manufacturers have updated boards to fix some of the issues seen previously.

Is this true, or do I need to wait a while longer before jumping into the Sandy Bridge world?

The only available boards retail wise are all fixed, but if you are paranoid, look for things that indicate revision 3 or stepping 3 on the model. They've removed the older models from new inventory completely, so you should have no problem finding the right boards.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Gembolah posted:

What games were you getting "abysmal" performance out of? The E6600 is a little dated, but with an OC should still be perfectly serviceable. Of course, all of this is subject to cost-benefit- is it worth a $500+ platform upgrade worth not having to turn down settings in some games

Disclaimer: playing at 2560x1600. IIRC, my E6600 was overclocked to ~3.2GHz or so. Force Unleashed, Black Ops, ME2 and a few others I'd get some nasty stuttering/lag. Same graphics card, 2600K, smooth as butter.

Granted, I could have squeezed more life out of it if I bothered to close Firefox/torrents/everything else before playing games, but the E6600 lives on in my server now.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

You Am I posted:

This Tech Report has a good review of the SB chips, and compares it to other CPUs:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20188/7
I wish more review sites would include min fps. Its the most important statistic!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

dud root posted:

I wish more review sites would include min fps. Its the most important statistic!
Yeah, I have always found Tech Report's reviews great for both detail and benchmarking.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

movax posted:

Disclaimer: playing at 2560x1600. IIRC, my E6600 was overclocked to ~3.2GHz or so. Force Unleashed, Black Ops, ME2 and a few others I'd get some nasty stuttering/lag. Same graphics card, 2600K, smooth as butter.

Granted, I could have squeezed more life out of it if I bothered to close Firefox/torrents/everything else before playing games, but the E6600 lives on in my server now.

Just to add to this I upgraded from a e5200@3.3ghz to a 2500k that I run at 4.4ghz and kept the same video card. My performance increased dramatically, not just from a raw FPS perspective but all the stutters I used to get are gone.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
So I upgraded my system to a i5-2500k and everything appears to be in working order. My power supply doesn't have a 8-pin CPU connector but 2 x 4-pin connectors for the CPU. I currently have both plugged in and no apparent problems have popped up. Is this safe for the long term? Should I look at getting something like:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3204

or just get a new power supply altogether?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Joink posted:

So I upgraded my system to a i5-2500k and everything appears to be in working order. My power supply doesn't have a 8-pin CPU connector but 2 x 4-pin connectors for the CPU. I currently have both plugged in and no apparent problems have popped up. Is this safe for the long term? Should I look at getting something like:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3204

No that should be fine because a lot of the PSU's have exactly what you're describing and they can either be pushed together to power 8-pin boards, or if you have an older one they only use one of them and are perfectly fine.

edit: Like the Corsair HX PSU I just got had two 4's that snap together to form the 8-pin version

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Joink posted:

2x4-pin is just for flexibility, in case you have a 4-pin motherboard. Same reason ATX connectors come as 20+4-pin instead of straight 24. The wiring is the same as a one-piece 8-pin, right? Four yellow 12V lines and four black ground lines? If so, no worries. Heck, even my tippity-top-of-the-line Seasonic Gold PSU has a 2x4-pin connector instead of an 8-pin.

If you'd like an opinion on whether your PSU is worth its salt, go ahead and post its make and model (and, if you can see 'em on the side of the PSU, the amperage ratings for all of its rails).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Intel has branded the Z68's SSD caching feature as "Smart Response." Intel REALLY needs a better marketing department...

mdk
Oct 5, 2003
mdk

movax posted:

I play games at 2560x1600 also. I had a Q6600 oc'ed to 3.8GHz along with a pair of 6970's and games were incredibly CPU limited. Switched to a 2600K and even at stock speeds everything runs much, much better.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

real_scud posted:

No that should be fine because a lot of the PSU's have exactly what you're describing and they can either be pushed together to power 8-pin boards, or if you have an older one they only use one of them and are perfectly fine.

edit: Like the Corsair HX PSU I just got had two 4's that snap together to form the 8-pin version

Yea looks like its nothing. Running at 4.6GHZ and 1.3V CPU Vcore with idle temps around 40'C. Haven't pushed it higher but I think i'll wait until I get an aftermarket cooler on the thing before I try.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Well, just got my replacement p8p67 motherboard. I took everything out of my old one and put on the new one. Now my new one is giving me a memory error (Memory Check light is red). The system appears to be testing. The memory light is constant red. At the very end of the test, the CPU light flashes red one time and the system restarts. Everything worked fine before (Except the faulty SATA connections).

No sounds at all during this whole power up/red light/restart. It looks like ill be on my 3rd motherboard. :(

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

strategery posted:

Well, just got my replacement p8p67 motherboard. I took everything out of my old one and put on the new one. Now my new one is giving me a memory error (Memory Check light is red). The system appears to be testing. The memory light is constant red. At the very end of the test, the CPU light flashes red one time and the system restarts. Everything worked fine before (Except the faulty SATA connections).

No sounds at all during this whole power up/red light/restart. It looks like ill be on my 3rd motherboard. :(

Are you sure you mounted the RAM correctly? The DIMM slots on my B3 board are a lot tighter than the board before that, and I had to try a few times and use quite a bit of force to get rid of the same problem.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

strategery posted:

Hmm, maybe it's been awhile since I've installed my P8P67, but isn't that button by the memory check light intended to get the system to boot to BIOS so you can bump memory voltage if needed? Definitely check the manual, I know I had a similar problem to you; had to keep trying to boot with one stick of RAM until I got into BIOS and could bump up DDR3 voltage.

Also I didn't see a generic "cool upcoming hardware" thread, but PCIe 3.0 support is beginning to appear (BIOS wise, anyways):
code:
Label Comments:
<redacted>
1.Generic PCIe 3.0 support (more testing required no HW available)
<redacted>
See Release Notes for details.
:woop:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Figured that things wouldn't go over smoothly.

Apparently I've bent a pin when taking the board out. The clerk at my usual shop noticed and called their main support guy to decide. He was immediately being a human being, by not saying hello or anything and telling me "I'm not taking that back" in a caveman manner. When I asked him if that's really an issue, since the board's declared de facto broken anyway, he became a raging homo. So I figured, gently caress 'em, cut my losses and went to the other shop on the other side of the road and got a new one.

In retrospect, I should have kept my cool and asked for a box cutter, which is how I fixed it in two seconds, and now the "bent" pin is where it should be, flush with the rest, you wouldn't even know it was bent. But I guess I have to go through RMA directly with Asus (and then sell it on Ebay), since I called him a tremendous rear end in a top hat for being so goddamn irritating. :shobon:

Then again, if he's the main support guy, I wonder why he didn't even consider trying to put it back into place himself.

Also, I took the opportunity to put a bigger CPU cooler on it. The stock one that came with the i7-2600 kinda lost my confidence in it, after noticing the noise it made trying to cool down my video encoding few days ago.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
For the record, Intel released the Sandy Bridge-based Xeon E3 series for workstations and entry-level servers. These parts have hit Newegg. Almost all models are a variation on the i7-2600 series, except the E3-1220(L) and E3-1225, which are most like the i5-2500 series. The 1220L and 1260L are particularly interesting: the former is a dual-core part, 2.2 GHz base/3.4 GHz turbo, with a TDP of 20W; the latter is quad-core 2.4/3.3 GHz part with a TDP of 45W. At the top end, the E3-1280 foregoes integrated graphics but runs at 3.5 GHz/3.9 GHz turbo, which I believe is the highest stock clock speed I've ever seen, beating out the P4 Prescott 2M 672 @ 3.8 GHz.

Intel has also released an updated Nehalem-based Xeon line with up to 10-core processors with up to 30 MB(!) of L3 cache, but those are not Sandy Bridge and therefore boring.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

What kind of temperatures should I be seeing on a 2500k at stock speeds with the Intel cooler? It idles around 30C which seems well enough, but if I throw it under Prime95 for some load testing it shoots up to 60C+ and the fan RPM never budges from 2000. On my old E6600 the fan speed would start ramping up around 50C which seems right, 60C seems high to me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Intel SATA 3Gb ports vs the Marvell 6Gb. Which ones are the better option? With 3Gb drives? I keep noticing that Marvell gets a small bad rap all the time. Why's that?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

strategery posted:

The RAM LED came on for me as well when I replaced my P8P67 with a new one, but I re-seated the memory and it started up. It definitely requires what I would characterize as an uncomfortable level of force to get the memory to really seat properly.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Combat Pretzel posted:

Intel SATA 3Gb ports vs the Marvell 6Gb. Which ones are the better option? With 3Gb drives? I keep noticing that Marvell gets a small bad rap all the time. Why's that?

This old Anandtech review compared Intel SATA 2 ports vs. Marvell SATA 3 ports for the same drives. Basically, Marvell ports are slower despite supporting a faster standard on paper; they can't handle the same number of IOPS, which translates directly to all types of drive speed.

It's not a huge difference, and for a plain ol' storage drive they work fine, but they just aren't the best things.

As for whether you get better performance plugged a SATA 2 (3 Gbps) drive into a SATA 3 (6 Gbps) port, absolutely not; the port will only run at SATA 2 speeds in that case.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

What kind of temperatures should I be seeing on a 2500k at stock speeds with the Intel cooler? It idles around 30C which seems well enough, but if I throw it under Prime95 for some load testing it shoots up to 60C+ and the fan RPM never budges from 2000. On my old E6600 the fan speed would start ramping up around 50C which seems right, 60C seems high to me.

That's a little high, but not crazy, and well within spec. Burn-in testing usually causes higher temperatures than regular loads, anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

This old Anandtech review compared Intel SATA 2 ports vs. Marvell SATA 3 ports for the same drives. Basically, Marvell ports are slower despite supporting a faster standard on paper; they can't handle the same number of IOPS, which translates directly to all types of drive speed.
That's still somewhat of a difference. I guess I'll have to replug the drives tomorrow and pray that it doesn't mess a lot with the system. My boot and system drive is on one.

Factory Factory posted:

That's a little high, but not crazy, and well within spec. Burn-in testing usually causes higher temperatures than regular loads, anyway.
Yah. Doing things like playing Crysis 2 at maximum settings doesn't faze the CPU or its cooler much at all. Doing a video encoding in Premiere makes latter suddenly sound like a motocross engine.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

strategery posted:

Try moving the clear RTC jumper (next to the mobo power light) for about 15 seconds with the power disconnected and then move it back. That fixed a problem similar to what you're having when I tried changing my RAM frequency.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

strategery posted:

So I did all the suggested actions. Finally - for whatever reason - the computer now boots up to bios with one stick of ram. Do I set the bios any differently? There is a setting to set to optimized defaults.

EDIT: Just saved without changing anything and shut down. Restarted with both sticks of ram and went back to red light/no screen.

EDIT2: So went to one stick again and then swapped sticks. Turns out one of them somehow went bad while transitioning to the new MB. :(

strategery fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 8, 2011

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh
Try reseating the CPU. I had similar issues after I replaced my HSF until I removed and reseated.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Combat Pretzel posted:

Aside from the poor performance already mentioned, they don't have particularly stellar reliability. I had stability problems on my last system which I eventually determined coincided perfectly with having anything (even a DVD drive) on the marvell controller's ports. A number of people have posted in the SSD thread with similar issues.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Whelp ordered a new P8P67 Pro to replace my LE board that is funky and has some bad SATA ports. Think this'll actually be the first time I've ever had to take off a HSF from a mobo to seat it on another so this should be fun.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

chutwig posted:

The RAM LED came on for me as well when I replaced my P8P67 with a new one, but I re-seated the memory and it started up. It definitely requires what I would characterize as an uncomfortable level of force to get the memory to really seat properly.

Same thing happened to me. Also, gently caress the Cooler Master 212...i think there is more blood on that thing than thermal paste now.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Is there a known issue with with P67 boards seeing the display blank out, occasionally with repeating vertical bars? I'm 90% sure that it is just a bad video card but I'd like to know I didn't miss anything before I RMA.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Is there a known issue with with P67 boards seeing the display blank out, occasionally with repeating vertical bars? I'm 90% sure that it is just a bad video card but I'd like to know I didn't miss anything before I RMA.

Well, uh, the P67's shouldn't have integrated graphics, so I assume you're talking about your videocard? Cable seated properly? What's your BCLK? PCIe spread spectrum on or off?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

movax posted:

Well, uh, the P67's shouldn't have integrated graphics, so I assume you're talking about your videocard? Cable seated properly? What's your BCLK? PCIe spread spectrum on or off?

Spread spectrum is off and I've reseated at this point. No idea about the BCLK, but I would assume it's still at factory settings. Like I said, I'm 90% sure it's just the video card being bad but the way the keyboard locks up when it happens makes me a little worried about the PCIe bus/chipset as well. I don't have enough hardware to do a proper bench test which is making this more difficult that I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Looks like the Xeon E3-1220L isn't in stock... anywhere. I can't find the sucker anywhere. It's definitely in the ARK but I guess it hasn't made its way into distribution yet. The 1220L is significantly different from the E3-1220 in TDP and cache, so it's great for home file servers and the like where you care more about power usage than the performance. I don't think any of these Xeons include Romley support since that'll be on LGA1356 and LGA2011 (I seriously wonder if they picked LGA2011 for the year of release instead of for technical reasons). I believe these chips don't include the SAS controllers that the later Xeons will have.