Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Ah, over bearing fly-by-wire systems. yet another way of engineers putting too much faith in code/tech over trusting the pilot to fly the drat airplane. You know, because the guy doing the coding is obviously less likely to make mistakes.

god drat boffins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
If the AF A330 was entering a storm, wouldn't the turbulence be intense? Even if the pilots knew the airspeed indicator(s) failed, how could they have any time or power to do anything short of catching a glimpse of the primary instruments in that kind of turbulence? Let alone maintaining 5% nose up pitch with 85% power. I think the amount of turbulence played a huge role in the crash. Ive been in a cockpit trying to maintain wings level during wake turbulence and that was a challenge to see the attitude indicator in a 172.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I've found that sometimes it's nicer not to be able too having seen an altimeter unwind a few hundred feet in a couple of seconds. I near enough shat.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I haven't watched that Nova documentary yet, but my manager was talking about it the other day. He said their weather radar showed bad weather, but they thought it was ok behind it only to encounter more severe weather or something like that.

As in a lot of crashes, it seems to be a perfect combination of all the wrong things to happen all at once.

Side note, I used to do contract maintenance on Virgin America's A320/319s. Last fall they'd bought a whole bunch from some airline in the Middle East. One was departing after being in service some time and the pilots noticed faults in the airspeed. The mechanics worked on it for some time and when they opened up the pitot system they found sand all throughout it. It took some time to get new parts and all those planes went under heavy scrutinizing.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Do modern airliner avionics not use GPS? Even if you're in a storm and the pitot-tube based airspeed indicators fail, the GPS is going to tell you your speed and direction.

routlej1
Apr 1, 2010

Nothus posted:

Do modern airliner avionics not use GPS? Even if you're in a storm and the pitot-tube based airspeed indicators fail, the GPS is going to tell you your speed and direction.

GPS can tell you your groundspeed, but not your airspeed. The difference depends on the local windspeed, which you can't measure with GPS.

You groundspeed is important for navigation, as it tells you when you're going to reach your destination, but you need the airspeed to make sure you don't exceed the safe airspeed for the particular conditions.

Fixed wing airplanes will stall if they fall below a particular airspeed (more accurately if the wings have too high an angle of attack), or indeed too high an airspeed (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffin_corner_%28aviation%29). At the high speeds and altitudes airliners fly at, this safe range of speeds can be very narrow, hence the need for reliable measurement of airspeed.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
Spotted in the skies near Andersonville, GA... Why is #3 smoking?

(click for massive)

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
thats very strange - i thought "FIFI" was the only flying b29...

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
edit: nevermind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wORtl7YfOX4

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 8, 2011

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
It's got Fifi's tail number...

e: durr, and control horns.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 8, 2011

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Boomerjinks posted:

edit: nevermind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wORtl7YfOX4

That's the old version. The current plane now spans 20' and is powered by 4 150cc flat twin engines. Performance is decidedly non-scale.

BTW - all photos were taken from the ground - including the initial one. I'm having a print framed, and will be presenting it to Mac when I come up for the next fly-in.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

buttcrackmenace posted:

That's the old version. The current plane now spans 20' and is powered by 4 150cc flat twin engines. Performance is decidedly non-scale.

BTW - all photos were taken from the ground - including the initial one. I'm having a print framed, and will be presenting it to Mac when I come up for the next fly-in.

certainly had me fooled - that thing is awesome... what a great shot.

edit: and clever too... you scale operators have this down

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008

LobsterboyX posted:

thats very strange - i thought "FIFI" was the only flying b29...

It is at my local airport this weekend! KIFP! I am planing on going up Sunday for a ride. Pic's if I do for sure!

edit: gently caress that. it is $600 and rides are only offered in the DFW area. It is $1200 if you want to ride upfront!

gigButt fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 9, 2011

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I bet you can still go check it out... even before i flew in the b17 they would let anyone in to see it up close and climb around in it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

gigButt posted:

It is at my local airport this weekend! KIFP! I am planing on going up Sunday for a ride. Pic's if I do for sure!

edit: gently caress that. it is $600 and rides are only offered in the DFW area. It is $1200 if you want to ride upfront!

Go up and see it, they'll still let you take pics and check the plane out. She's a wonderful old bird, tell her I said hi if you go.

e- and don't forget to donate!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

gigButt posted:

Big WWII airshow coming up in June in PA with lots of warbird rides: http://www.maam.org/wwii/ww2_rides.htm

I took a ride in that SNJ once. It was awesome, but I was really disappointed he wouldn't do any aerobatic maneuvers :(

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
I still plan on going to the airport on Sunday. Its has been really cold here the past few days, 55 degrees :) and windy. Hopefully Sunday will be nice.

Rides in the P-51 at $1000 too. I dislike money.

Psionic Sasquatch
Oct 31, 2006
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

ack! posted:

Side note, I used to do contract maintenance on Virgin America's A320/319s. Last fall they'd bought a whole bunch from some airline in the Middle East. One was departing after being in service some time and the pilots noticed faults in the airspeed. The mechanics worked on it for some time and when they opened up the pitot system they found sand all throughout it. It took some time to get new parts and all those planes went under heavy scrutinizing.

That's pretty nuts. What type of AMT are you? I do contract maintenance as well, mostly on A319/320s

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
anyone know of any operating DC3/C47 in so cal that offers rides?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

LobsterboyX posted:

anyone know of any operating DC3/C47 in so cal that offers rides?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Douglas_DC-3_operators

Edit: hrm, this looks like it's historical operators, not modern ones. There are still something like 300 operating, many of which still in commercial passenger service, so there are rides to be had somewhere.

grover fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 9, 2011

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

gigButt posted:

I flight instruct out of KTUS, and Fifi has been sitting on the ramp here today, probably because of weather.

I'm guessing that since a B-29 is hellishly expensive to insure, the CAF doesn't fly it anywhere near icing or hard IFR conditions, both of which are covering a good chunk of Arizona today...

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I think many of the remaining DC3s are flying around Africa. Also I wouldn't be surprised if there were some in alaska/canadian territories.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

cloudstrife2993 posted:

I think many of the remaining DC3s are flying around Africa.

We need to bring a few of those bitches back home.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

cloudstrife2993 posted:

I think many of the remaining DC3s are flying around Africa. Also I wouldn't be surprised if there were some in alaska/canadian territories.

There's a reality tv show called Ice Pilots on Canadian television about an airline that still operates C47s and other vintage aircraft (Curtiss Commandos!) in the Northwest Territories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6elwdyx4GU

http://www.buffaloairways.com/

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I saw one at the airport in Long Beach CA, a few months ago, I called the operaters, they fly freight to catalina, they have 3 of them - they said there is no way i can ride on it.

guess i need to show them this...

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

LobsterboyX posted:

I saw one at the airport in Long Beach CA, a few months ago, I called the operaters, they fly freight to catalina, they have 3 of them - they said there is no way i can ride on it.

guess i need to show them this...

If they won't let you ride with that, they have no heart.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Minto Took posted:

If they won't let you ride with that, they have no heart.

so then i suppose i have to get my pilots license and certs for twin engine.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Went to the USS Intrepid Sea-Air-Space museum today and took some pics for anyone interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djcobol/sets/72157626464852276/

Saw a couple old guys arguing about whether or not "that big black plane" was a SR-71 or an A-12. Once that was settled, they started arguing again whether or not the A-12 was worthy of the "Blackbird" moniker.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

so then i suppose i have to get my pilots license and certs for twin engine.

Plus a tailwheel endorsement, and a DC-3 type rating, since they weigh over 12,500lbs.

If you're looking for a ride in a DC-3, I think there's a place in Texas that does them, and there are also outfits in California and Georgia that actually do training in them.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

DJCobol posted:

Went to the USS Intrepid Sea-Air-Space museum today

For some reason I am bothered by the fact that the A-12 isn't pointing the same direction as the carrier. That's a pretty good museum, though. The sub is also badass.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

DJCobol posted:

Went to the USS Intrepid Sea-Air-Space museum today and took some pics for anyone interested:

Saw a couple old guys arguing about whether or not "that big black plane" was a SR-71 or an A-12. Once that was settled, they started arguing again whether or not the A-12 was worthy of the "Blackbird" moniker.
Do they have a Concord now, too?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

DJCobol posted:

That's a better discussion than the two old timers arguing about the F-14 being an air force asset like I saw at a show in '03. It was unbelievable to listen to, I felt bad for the guy that said it was just naval.

grover posted:

Yeah, it's on a barge next to the Intrepid :laugh:

Supposedly, they are getting a shuttle, too.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

grover posted:

Yep, had it for a few years now. That thing is cramped inside, even in first class.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Those pics own man, especially the Tiger MiG. I need to get down there this year, despite living an hour from NYC I've never actually been on the Intrepid.

Never saw the Statue of Liberty, either.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

VikingSkull posted:

Those pics own man, especially the Tiger MiG. I need to get down there this year, despite living an hour from NYC I've never actually been on the Intrepid.

Never saw the Statue of Liberty, either.

Do it in the next month or so if you want to see the Concorde then. The guide said it will be closing for a while for maintenance and repairs.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
To hell with the Concorde, it doesn't have guns on it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DJCobol posted:

Yep, had it for a few years now. That thing is cramped inside, even in first class.

I think it would have been pretty tolerable for four hours, compared to eight hours for the same route.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

While "SR-71 Blackbird" is a name so cool it crashes the prom on a motorcycle and snatches the cheerleader from the football captain, there is something even cooler about it when it was utterly mega secret and referred to as "the article".

Ola fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 10, 2011

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
This is a Dornier Do-17 fast bomber AKA "The Flying Pencil"

It was designed in the 1930s as a 'freight aircraft' (because the Germans weren't allowed to build bombers :ssh: ) and was used for the first couple of years of WW2 as a front-line bomber before being withdrawn from the Luftwaffe in late 1941 and replaced by more modern designs. Some were used as glider tugs by the Germans, others were handed out to other Axis-aligned air forces who used them for a number of years before scrapping them. The last active Do017 was decommissioned by the Finnish Air Force in 1952, and there are none in private hands. So, essentially, no examples of this aircraft existed as all anywhere in the world.

Until now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12997528
See, one was shot down in the summer of 1940 and made an emergency splash-down landing off the coast of Kent. Two of the crew died, two survived (and became POWs) and the plane itself flipped over and sank to the bottom where it landed in the middle of the Goodwin Sands sandbanks. Which then buried the wreck in sand, preserving it to a certain extent.

The sands have shifted again recently, uncovering it and subsequently someone found it. So the Port of London Authority sent out a sonar boat last week to see how much of the wreck was left intact after all this time. The answer?

So now the RAF Museum want to raise it and are hoping to put in on display as the only surviving Do 17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Itzena posted:

So now the RAF Museum want to raise it and are hoping to put in on display as the only surviving Do 17.

That's not "surviving", that's raised from the dead! Hopefully they park it next to a DeHavilland Vampire.