Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Serious Woman
Sep 9, 2010

fallenturtle posted:

Anyone had an experience out there with contraction tracking Android apps?

When I was in labour, we used this one. Worked great!

Also, based on the advice folks here have given, I've stopped trying to entertain Zoey and it seems to be working out much better. I just let her watch me do things, talk to her, sing to her, read to her, etc. Also, she hated our Moby wrap until today. I have no idea what changed but hey, it made for an easier day!

Question: When did you/when are you folks planning on returning to work? The earliest I can return to work is at 17 weeks, June 20 (technically I can return whenever I want but my husband can't use any of the 17 weeks) and the latest I can return is at 52 weeks, February 20, 2012. Whatever I don't take in leave, my husband will take the remaining portion. As it stands, I'm looking to return to work just after Labour Day. Do you guys wish you could have stayed at home longer or did/do you want to go back to work? i'm contemplating going back to work in June but part of me is greedy and wants the summer off. Just looking for opinions on the pros and cons of returning to work early or late.

edit: new page, here's a picture of a baby!

A Serious Woman fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
My original plan was to go back to work when Cecilia was 12 weeks old. In the US, maternity leave is laughable. You generally qualify for 12 weeks of unpaid time off, but that is about all employers are required to provide. My employer was considered quite generous-- I got 2 weeks off before my due date (she was actually born on the first day of my maternity leave, at 38 weeks exactly), and then 6 weeks of paid leave, as well as the option to take 6 more unpaid.

By the time she was 3 or 4 weeks old, I was pretty sure I didn't want to go back at all. We started messing with finances, and we knew it would be really, really tight. We went back and forth for a few more weeks about it, but by the time Cecilia was 10 weeks old, we'd decided that we could make it work. So I ended up putting in my two weeks' notice and then using accrued vacation time to cover those two weeks, so I never went back at all.

It has not been easy, that's for sure. We never have extra money for anything gratuitous, and that is harder with a baby than it ever was before. But I wouldn't change anything. I am thrilled to be a stay-at-home mom, and I know that my mental state would not be very good if I was still working. We'd have more money, but less happiness.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

My employer only allowed me 6 weeks of leave (Yes, I'm in the US, how could you tell?) so after my first was born I went back at that time. I did manage to talk him into letting me work part time for a good while. After my second baby was born, we decided that it made more sense financially for me to remain home considering my job was a 2 hour commute and didn't pay very well.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Fantasmo posted:

My wife is getting upset because our 6 week old seems to enjoy being left on his back more than being held. He'll pay more attention to us when we play with him on his back, but fusses within a couple minutes of being held. It's really making her sad. Also it's hard to maintain eye contact while holding him. He just looks around everywhere.

Has anyone else gone through this? Is it normal?

My kid was never very cuddly in the first few months, and hated being held close to me. But he's 4 1/2 months now and much more open to being held close (he actually tolerates a Moby these days) and hugging. I don't think being cuddled and held is a natural desire in all babies. Some are just more independent than others.

We made a little hugging game, starting when he was a few weeks old: when he was on the changing table and threw his arms out wide when startled, I would call out "Hugs!" and give him a hug. Now that he's older, I can call out "Hugs!" and he giggles when I hug him.

And yeah, your kid's eyes are getting better now and seeing things more clearly so he's probably more interested in looking around than at you guys. My kid was the same way, he was fascinated by this picture we have over the couch and would just stare at it for a while. I think as long as he makes occasional eye contact and generally acknowledges your presence it's all good.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Speaking of which, Ariza, what happened with your situation? Is your wife all right?

I went into work today to discuss my part-time return. Bug will be 6 months when I'm back. We're locked into the school year schedule (starts in April), otherwise I might stay home a little longer...

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

MarshallX posted:

Should Mom pump after breast feeding? Baby looks quite content but she said she still feels a bit heavy.

Congratulations :)

There's often a couple of day where your boobs feel like super hard heavy rocks just when the milk is changing from colustrum to 'milk milk', it passes pretty quickly as your milk supply regulates to meet the needs of the baby.

Missa
Dec 10, 2006
Your stupidity frightens me, but then again, I hit myself in the face with a wiimote once.
Finally, my little Zoey made her arrival! She kept us waiting a few days-was due on April 2, but beat the doctor on April 5.

I went into (pre)labor at noon, went to the hospital at 'strong enough that I couldn't talk' at about 10pm. Got my water broken at midnight. 6 cm. At 1:09 am I was 9 cm. The nurses went to call the doctor. I felt a ton of pressure, and Zoey was here at 1:14 am.
The doctor got there at 1:20.

One of the cats approves.

I would recommend the pain meds free approach for everyone. I had an epidural with my first and felt so crappy after the birth. This time around I was up and about within the hour, and I had the same degree of tearing.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

A Serious Woman posted:

Question: When did you/when are you folks planning on returning to work? The earliest I can return to work is at 17 weeks, June 20 (technically I can return whenever I want but my husband can't use any of the 17 weeks) and the latest I can return is at 52 weeks, February 20, 2012. Whatever I don't take in leave, my husband will take the remaining portion. As it stands, I'm looking to return to work just after Labour Day. Do you guys wish you could have stayed at home longer or did/do you want to go back to work? i'm contemplating going back to work in June but part of me is greedy and wants the summer off. Just looking for opinions on the pros and cons of returning to work early or late.

Aaaw, your baby is cute!

I'm going back to work when my kid is 9 months, his dad will stay home with him for 3 months after that. I think I'll be pretty ready at that point. I miss work and am excited to start. I will have to pump at work, but I think that will go pretty well.

I kind of wished I could have had leave over the summer, so next baby I will try to have in the spring ;)

Next time I might return earlier so his dad can stay home more. I wouldn't return until the kid is 6 months or later though, as I think it's easier when the baby can get a little solids and doesn't ONLY eat boob milk.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I've been thinking about getting the Hypnobabies course. Have any of y'all done the classes or home study course?

I'm pretty sure I want to do natural birth, and I think laboring and/or birthing in a birth tub is something I may to do, too. But - I'm not religious, or spiritual, and I've got little patience for psuedo-science dressed up as actual science. However, I do 'meditate' semi-regularly to help myself relax and to quit thinking so I can get to sleep. I'm hoping that the Hypnobabies scripts will help me do the same sort of thing, just more powerfully, and while I'm attempting to push a person out of my hoohoo.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I did Hypnobabies along with Bradley childbirth classes. I didn't do much with workbooks with the HB, just listened to the tracks at night. I do think it really helped though; I was very much able to be inwardly focused during labor. The nurses were surprised at how quiet I was while pushing, and I was so deeply focused that I actually drifted off between contractions. So I think it worked well, even if I didn't follow it as intended.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Do your guys LO's always sleep right after nursing? grayson stops eating and seems to be sleepy but if you pick him up and he goes full wide eyes and squirmy for at least an hour before sleeping again.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

MarshallX posted:

Do your guys LO's always sleep right after nursing? grayson stops eating and seems to be sleepy but if you pick him up and he goes full wide eyes and squirmy for at least an hour before sleeping again.

Without fail! Liam's 5 weeks old today and I still have to poke him periodically during a feed to keep him with the program long enough to eat enough at one time. But as soon as I pull him off, he snaps right back awake. Most annoying during the night...

So the discussion a couple posts back was all about when to return to work, (like we have a choice in the matter here in the US, but anyway) and FITD talked about her decision to stay home with Cecelia. I've had a lot of anxiety the past week or two and this seems as good a in as any to let off some steam:

I had been working two days a week after I had Midget, but now it no longer makes sense for me to do so, so I'm not going back after my leave this time. I will stay home (probably, barring something unexpected) until Liam is in kindergarten--5+ years. It is by far the most logical decision for us financially and logistically with two kids.

I know lots of moms (and dads) would be envious of being able to do this, and that makes me feel like an even bigger heel. Just typing this out brings tears to my eyes; I am so overwhelmed by the thought of staying home with the kids all the time. That I don't get that break anymore where I get to wear a different hat. I have been at my job for 9 years and I like it. I have good friends there and I'll miss doing the work, and seeing my co-worker friends so often. Yes, we socialize outside of work, but it's not the same. It felt good to work PT--I got to wear the Mommy Hat and the Alistair Hat and switch back and forth and it was good to always get a break from both roles. It made me better at both, in retrospect--I got a break from home, so when I was home I really appreciated being with Midget. And I was always fresh going to work, even if I was always playing catch-up with the goings on.

Now, I feel like at any given moment, I am short changing one of them--or both of them--not to even mention housework or anything. Being short with Midget and having him tell me to "talk nicely" or "take a breath, Mommy". :cry: Letting Liam cry for a minute because I am right in the middle of something with Midget--or not interacting with him like I want to during his awake time. Having to tell Midget to wait for the umteenth time because Liam is nursing (still, again, it's all the same since he eats constantly right now). I know it's a learning curve, figuring out how to juggle two. And I remember that this super-needy stage of Liam's doesn't last forever (and that I will probably miss it when it's gone).

I guess, the long and the short of it is that I feel really overwhelmed by becoming a FT SAHM, by learning how to deal with both kids, and feel like a total poo poo that I even have the audacity to feel like this. I love my boys! Why do I feel like such poo poo at the prospect of spending every day with them?! Anyone else have trials and tribulations when having a second kid and/or quitting their job to stay home?

P.S.--I've tried to work this post over to keep it brief and not sound like a selfish snatch as much as possible, so please forgive me. (I feel selfish though, and that's part of my little complex at the moment.)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

AlistairCookie posted:

So the discussion a couple posts back was all about when to return to work, (like we have a choice in the matter here in the US, but anyway) and FITD talked about her decision to stay home with Cecelia. I've had a lot of anxiety the past week or two and this seems as good a in as any to let off some steam:

I had been working two days a week after I had Midget, but now it no longer makes sense for me to do so, so I'm not going back after my leave this time. I will stay home (probably, barring something unexpected) until Liam is in kindergarten--5+ years. It is by far the most logical decision for us financially and logistically with two kids.

I know lots of moms (and dads) would be envious of being able to do this, and that makes me feel like an even bigger heel. Just typing this out brings tears to my eyes; I am so overwhelmed by the thought of staying home with the kids all the time. That I don't get that break anymore where I get to wear a different hat. I have been at my job for 9 years and I like it. I have good friends there and I'll miss doing the work, and seeing my co-worker friends so often. Yes, we socialize outside of work, but it's not the same. It felt good to work PT--I got to wear the Mommy Hat and the Alistair Hat and switch back and forth and it was good to always get a break from both roles. It made me better at both, in retrospect--I got a break from home, so when I was home I really appreciated being with Midget. And I was always fresh going to work, even if I was always playing catch-up with the goings on.

Now, I feel like at any given moment, I am short changing one of them--or both of them--not to even mention housework or anything. Being short with Midget and having him tell me to "talk nicely" or "take a breath, Mommy". :cry: Letting Liam cry for a minute because I am right in the middle of something with Midget--or not interacting with him like I want to during his awake time. Having to tell Midget to wait for the umteenth time because Liam is nursing (still, again, it's all the same since he eats constantly right now). I know it's a learning curve, figuring out how to juggle two. And I remember that this super-needy stage of Liam's doesn't last forever (and that I will probably miss it when it's gone).

I guess, the long and the short of it is that I feel really overwhelmed by becoming a FT SAHM, by learning how to deal with both kids, and feel like a total poo poo that I even have the audacity to feel like this. I love my boys! Why do I feel like such poo poo at the prospect of spending every day with them?! Anyone else have trials and tribulations when having a second kid and/or quitting their job to stay home?

I'm sorry you're having a hard time :( Is it because of the cost of daycare that it's financially better to stay home? I'm afraid I don't have any advice; I'll be back to work soon - just this: There is nothing wrong with you for feeling this way! I love my kid to pieces but I look forward to going to work (even if I will miss him a lot during the day, my little babyyyyyy waaah! ;) ). Staying home all day every day is just not for me (even if we do not literally stay home, we go out all the time, but you know what I mean). It's not for everyone.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\/\
Yeah, with the cost of care and the income disparity (even if I worked FT) between me and my husband, it just doesn't make financial sense to work with two. Our pre-Liam arrangement was that my MIL watched Midget on the two days I worked, but she can't take them both. It would be hard on her, physically (bad knee), to have them both (not to mention some other family issues with some of my grown siblings in-law that they have found their way back to their parent's house), so we decided a while back not to ask. So, that would leave putting them both in PT daycare, which pretty much eats my entire take home. Or, leaving Liam with MIL and putting Midget in PT care, which would only net us an extra $400/month or so. Running the kids to two separate places two days a week for long days isn't worth $400/month.

Anyhow, it is just the least amount of disruption (for the kids) and hassle for me to stay home, rather than jump through a bunch of hoops for little financial gain. And I just cannot justify to myself working for the sake of working, just because I may want to, when there is little to no upside for our family as a whole.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Fantasmo posted:

My wife is getting upset because our 6 week old seems to enjoy being left on his back more than being held. He'll pay more attention to us when we play with him on his back, but fusses within a couple minutes of being held. It's really making her sad. Also it's hard to maintain eye contact while holding him. He just looks around everywhere.

Has anyone else gone through this? Is it normal?

For what anecdotal evidence is worth, I was the same way as a baby. I hated (and still hate) to be touched excessively and didn't like being held at all. My mom gave up on breastfeeding very early (within the first couple of months) because I fought her constantly. As soon as I could walk that was pretty much the end of being held, and they had trouble even getting me to hold their hand in public places - we compromised on me holding onto one of their fingers.

But don't worry, I'm still a normal person (for a goon) and have a lovely connection to my parents and family. Some babies just don't like a lot of physical contact.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Staying home once you have 2 kids seems to be another common thing in the US. Pricing out full time childcare in our area runs about $1200 a month ($700 for infant, $500 for 2 year old). A minimum wage job, which is pretty much all I am qualified for, will get me about $1500 a month. $300 doesn't go very far at all, especially once you factor in the cost of transportation, food, etc.

I love staying home, just sometimes I wish we had a little extra spending money, afford some things that would make staying home a little more enjoyable.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

AlistairCookie posted:

P.S.--I've tried to work this post over to keep it brief and not sound like a selfish snatch as much as possible, so please forgive me. (I feel selfish though, and that's part of my little complex at the moment.)

It's hard being around demanding little people all day. Do NOT let yourself feel bad about not loving it. I'll be honest, I don't love being a stay home mom all the time. Some days are better than others, of course, but for the most part, it's very nerve wracking being someone's bitch all the time.

The comforting thing is that a) your kids are young enough they won't remember most of what happens during this time (I'm assuming your oldest is fairly young) and b) it gets better. You will adapt and find a way to get everyone's needs taken care of. Everyone will survive and be reasonably happy.

Personally, I think it's good for the older kid to learn to wait. I'm not a servant. I am not there to do my daughter's bidding. She's had to learn that sometimes snacks don't magically appear the moment she asks for them and that this ok. In fact, she might even be able to get it herself! Woo, independence!

Once the baby gets a bit older, I promise you it will be easier. Until then, it's all about triage. The one that cries the loudest gets served first. ;)

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
AlistairCookie - that sucks. :( Even if it doesn't make the most financial sense, maybe you could try to figure out a way to have some sort of part-time job if it really helps to keep you sane and happy. I feel like a happy, well-adjusted parent who may not be home 100% of the time is far preferable to a miserable, resentful stay-at-home parent.

I hope you're able to figure out a solution that makes you happy - in the end, you enjoying your life IS a really big upside for your family as a whole.

(...said the non-parent who hasn't had to deal with day care costs yet.)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
The feminist in me rages at this. It should be possible to combine family and work! :argh:

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
I feel really bad for you guys down in the USA. Up in Canada we get 52 weeks paid and I think a lot of people take it for granted and don't really appreciate how much time you get to be with your baby when they are growing up.

Anyone have tips on post-feeding? Grayson will get sleepy and fall off the nipple shield but once you go and pick him up to put him in his playpen for a nap he goes crazy and screams like a maniac but will latch again but only for a few minutes. We try soothing him to sleep but doesn't seem to work, he just wakes up again. If we give him 1oz from a bottle that mom had previously pumped he instantly falls asleep.

Is he not getting enough to eat? He's still producing at least 8 wet diapers daily so that tells me he is, but maybe he wants to FEEL more full/satisfied?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
It sounds to me like he doesn't want to be put down. Can he be worn for naps? It's really common for young babies to sleep best being snuggled-- remember, he was held 24/7 up until recently!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sometimes an extra 20ml is all it takes for Bug to go from crazy to asleep for 6 hours. Whether she drinks it or not, she seems to find it comforting.

A Serious Woman
Sep 9, 2010

MarshallX posted:

I feel really bad for you guys down in the USA. Up in Canada we get 52 weeks paid and I think a lot of people take it for granted and don't really appreciate how much time you get to be with your baby when they are growing up.

Yeah, but you only get 55% up to a yearly maximum insurable amount of $44,200. This means the maximum weekly benefit you can get $468 per week, not including deductions. It's definitely still better than nothing but it works out to much less than 55% for me. I know I shouldn't be complaining at all considering my employer provides top up for the entire 52 weeks but it's absolutely appalling that someone making minimum wage in Ontario would only qualify for about $200 a week. We might have it better than our counterparts in the US but we still have a long, long way to go yet.

MarshallX posted:

Anyone have tips on post-feeding? Grayson will get sleepy and fall off the nipple shield but once you go and pick him up to put him in his playpen for a nap he goes crazy and screams like a maniac but will latch again but only for a few minutes. We try soothing him to sleep but doesn't seem to work, he just wakes up again. If we give him 1oz from a bottle that mom had previously pumped he instantly falls asleep.

Is he not getting enough to eat? He's still producing at least 8 wet diapers daily so that tells me he is, but maybe he wants to FEEL more full/satisfied?

Not sure if you're wife has figured out side nursing yet but I know it saved my sanity a few nights. A number of times I just let Zoey side nurse as long as she wanted while I dozed. And we were using a nipple sheild as well so it's totally doable! It takes a bit of time to figure out but it's worth pursuing. There have even been a few times during the day I would side nurse her on the couch and when it seemed that she had finally fallen asleep, I would get up all stealth style to do chores around the house! I've had people say to me that it's a bad idea to nurse your child to sleep because it could create a habit but honestly, I say nuts to that. It certainly didn't create a bad habit for us because she's sleeping on her own every night.

Missa posted:

Finally, my little Zoey made her arrival! She kept us waiting a few days-was due on April 2, but beat the doctor on April 5.

Congrats, Missa! Looks like our girls share not only the same name but the same spelling as well.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We nursed to sleep until very recently and she does fine now without it (she's 3 months). I still feed her before bed, but lay her down when she is done eating and drowsy but still awake. She wakes up twice to eat during the night, but the second time I bring her into bed with me I snooze while she eats/sleeps. I had to go back to work when she was 2 months,and nursing her in bed is the best thing ever when I have to get up at 6am.

Missa
Dec 10, 2006
Your stupidity frightens me, but then again, I hit myself in the face with a wiimote once.

A Serious Woman posted:

Not sure if you're wife has figured out side nursing yet but I know it saved my sanity a few nights. A number of times I just let Zoey side nurse as long as she wanted while I dozed. And we were using a nipple sheild as well so it's totally doable! It takes a bit of time to figure out but it's worth pursuing. There have even been a few times during the day I would side nurse her on the couch and when it seemed that she had finally fallen asleep, I would get up all stealth style to do chores around the house! I've had people say to me that it's a bad idea to nurse your child to sleep because it could create a habit but honestly, I say nuts to that. It certainly didn't create a bad habit for us because she's sleeping on her own every night.

Congrats, Missa! Looks like our girls share not only the same name but the same spelling as well.

I nursed my first daughter to sleep basically every time she needed to sleep for about the first year. Everything can create bad habits. :rolleyes: But, she was able to put herself to sleep shortly before her first birthday-she was just a comfort nurser. Side nursing saved me hours of sleep.

And, thanks, A Serious Woman I love the phonetic spelling. I had a chuckle when you announced her earlier in the thread. It's not a common name or spelling. :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Missa posted:

I nursed my first daughter to sleep basically every time she needed to sleep for about the first year. Everything can create bad habits. :rolleyes: But, she was able to put herself to sleep shortly before her first birthday-she was just a comfort nurser. Side nursing saved me hours of sleep.

I agree with this a thousand times. Advice from outside people often is do not do xyz because it will form bad habits. For me, self-preservation won out. If Cecilia slept, I slept. Therefore, I was willing to do what comforted her, so we could both rest. Besharing? Yep. Nursing to sleep all the time? Check. And in fact, now, at a year old, she nurses to sleep half of the time and goes to sleep after nursing the other half. She did that all on her own with no help from me. I really advocate doing what makes the most harmony for your family, as hippie-dippie as that sounds, and worrying later about making changes.

Here's another anecdote to support that: Cecilia needed to be held to sleep for the first three months. All sleeps, all the time. I would try her in the swing and never had any success. But somewhere around 3-4 months, she began to be okay with being put in the swing asleep and would stay asleep for 15 minutes. Then 20. Then an hour. Finally, she would take upwards of a 4 hour nap in the swing. It just took her body getting a little more mature.

Dr. Retarded
Jul 28, 2007
"It gets two squeaks, 'cuz it's the funniest one of all!!!"

MarshallX posted:

pumping after nursing
I was advised to pump after most, if not all nursing sessions in the beginning while using the nipple shield. I pumped myself into oversupply, but that was pretty easy to regulate in a few days and now I have more milk in the freezer than I will ever need - I have even donated about 400 ounces, which is something I am really proud of. If she isn't too tired, I personally think it is a good idea to pump after nursing and I plan on doing it with my next baby, nipple shield or not.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah having been on both ends of that stick, oversupply is a hell of a lot easier to deal with than undersupply.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Alright. I'm at 38 weeks and I still haven't felt any contractions. At least, if I am having them, I don't notice. The most I've gotten are menstrual-like cramps, which my doctor says is perfectly normal. Is it normal for me not to feel any contractions this late in the game? Because every time I go in for my weekly check-up, he asks if I've felt anything and I feel like such a failure for not feeling a drat thing.

Another question: can anyone tell me the difference between a sports bra and a sleep nursing bra?

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
I didn't feel any contractions until after my water broke five days after my due date.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

foxatee posted:

Alright. I'm at 38 weeks and I still haven't felt any contractions. At least, if I am having them, I don't notice. The most I've gotten are menstrual-like cramps, which my doctor says is perfectly normal. Is it normal for me not to feel any contractions this late in the game? Because every time I go in for my weekly check-up, he asks if I've felt anything and I feel like such a failure for not feeling a drat thing.

Another question: can anyone tell me the difference between a sports bra and a sleep nursing bra?

I had some Braxton Hicks, but they were pretty noticeably just those, as they only consisted of my belly tightening, and nothing else. But the first time I had real contractions that I could feel down to my cervix, I was going into active labor.

edit: You also can have contractions that you can't really feel, but are definitely there. Have you had any non-stress tests? During those the monitor can pick up contractions, so you can look to see if you've had any.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 11, 2011

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

foxatee posted:

I never felt anything more than menstrual-like cramps and braxton hicks right up until my contractions started for real.

A sleep nursing bra is much less supportive, and also has easier access to the boobs I think.

A Serious Woman
Sep 9, 2010

foxatee posted:

I'm going to go ahead and agree with what everyone's been saying; I didn't have any contractions until I went into labour and believe me, once you have them, you'll know it's them!

Also, having bought both a sports bra and a sleeping bra, I would totally recommend the sleeping bra. Better access to the boobs and it felt less tight, like my boobs had some breathing room if that makes any sense.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Dr. Retarded posted:

I was advised to pump after most, if not all nursing sessions in the beginning while using the nipple shield. I pumped myself into oversupply, but that was pretty easy to regulate in a few days and now I have more milk in the freezer than I will ever need - I have even donated about 400 ounces, which is something I am really proud of. If she isn't too tired, I personally think it is a good idea to pump after nursing and I plan on doing it with my next baby, nipple shield or not.

I think our plan right now is to stick to pumping until we can't anymore and then switch to formula, nursing with the nipple shield is just not going well for Mom, emotionally and physically (soreness, bleeding, frustration, baby not getting enough food, 1.5 hours for each feeding). We are past the point of it being a bonding experience for Mom and baby and are at the point where she is dreading feeding times, which isn't healthy.

I'm sure everyone has been through this exact same thing but for us, we need to change something up.

I think having my FIL at our house for three weeks from Nova Scotia is probably not helping the entire situation as Mom has to retreat to the bedroom every time she wants to feed and feels like she needs to entertain FIL while baby sleeps. I've told her the latter needs to stop today as I am back at work and she needs her sleep.

MarshallX fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 11, 2011

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

The stories from this thread have really cemented it for me that I don't want any family at my house for at least the first 2 weeks after I have my baby. (They all live 2000+ miles away, but our moms are dying to come 'help' for a few weeks.) It sounds so loving stressful; no amount of cooking, cleaning, and doing laundry is going to mitigate the fact that people are milling about in my house when I just need peace and quiet and a goddamn nap. I'm wondering if maybe I'll feel differently as the birth gets closer, or is it time to start perfecting the "no you can't come until December" conversation?

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.
I will never understand why so many family members think that the best time for a visit is just after the birth of a baby, especially when they plan to stay at the home of the new parents. It boggles my mind.

If this is how you feel, then perfect your "no, we prefer not to have visitors right away" speech now. Make sure you and your partner agree and that neither of you backs down. Extended visitors and new babies rarely mix well; don't feel guilty for wanting some time alone.

(Of course, this isn't the case for everyone -- some people have family situations that allow this to work, I just think it's the exception rather than the rule.)

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

MarshallX posted:

I think our plan right now is to stick to pumping until we can't anymore and then switch to formula, nursing with the nipple shield is just not going well for Mom, emotionally and physically (soreness, bleeding, frustration, baby not getting enough food, 1.5 hours for each feeding). We are past the point of it being a bonding experience for Mom and baby and are at the point where she is dreading feeding times, which isn't healthy.

I'm sure everyone has been through this exact same thing but for us, we need to change something up.

I think having my FIL at our house for three weeks from Nova Scotia is probably not helping the entire situation as Mom has to retreat to the bedroom every time she wants to feed and feels like she needs to entertain FIL while baby sleeps. I've told her the latter needs to stop today as I am back at work and she needs her sleep.

:smith: I hear ya'. I hated the nipple shield with Midget--it hurt like a SOB! 90 minutes is too long to mess around. By the time he's done, he's ready to eat again and your poor wife is probably ready to lose her mind.

Ultimately, whatever you need to do to be the best parents (esp. Mommy) you can be is the best decision for you. What's best for Greyson is what's best for Mommy. Pumping isn't that bad if you go into it with the mindset that it will be on your terms: you will pump what you can, when you can, and give formula when you don't have any milk pumped. It's when you are determined that your baby will ONLY get your pumped milk, so help you God, that you become a serious slave to the pump--I remember.

And you are right on that your wife's self-imposed role of hostess has to stop right now. I understand her feeling like that, I'm the same way, but it's too much with a new baby.

I have a question of my own: So my milk supply is crazy go nuts overnight and all morning long. Liam will feed off just one side sometimes and I'll have to pump. I have to pump during the overnight after he feeds because I'm still that uncomfortable. But then during the afternoon it levels off and by dinnertime through bedtime, they're coughing up dust. So I've been giving the extra milk in bottles from the morning hours in the evening to make up for it, so I guess in the end it's okay. It gives me the freedom to do a better bedtime with Midget since Dad can bottle, but I was wondering what's up with all that? To be clear, I still nurse Liam when he wants to, for (mostly) as long as he wants, but he gets frustrated and angry during the ~5-6pm and ~9pm feeds. Nurses for a bit, pulls away, screaming all pissed off, repeats for a half hour. Then he'll drink 3oz or better from a bottle, like I've given him nothing and be happy. He latches and nurses fine during any other time.

Am I just out of whack, or out of sync with him?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

AlistairCookie posted:

I have a question of my own: So my milk supply is crazy go nuts overnight and all morning long. Liam will feed off just one side sometimes and I'll have to pump. I have to pump during the overnight after he feeds because I'm still that uncomfortable. But then during the afternoon it levels off and by dinnertime through bedtime, they're coughing up dust. So I've been giving the extra milk in bottles from the morning hours in the evening to make up for it, so I guess in the end it's okay. It gives me the freedom to do a better bedtime with Midget since Dad can bottle, but I was wondering what's up with all that? To be clear, I still nurse Liam when he wants to, for (mostly) as long as he wants, but he gets frustrated and angry during the ~5-6pm and ~9pm feeds. Nurses for a bit, pulls away, screaming all pissed off, repeats for a half hour. Then he'll drink 3oz or better from a bottle, like I've given him nothing and be happy. He latches and nurses fine during any other time.

Am I just out of whack, or out of sync with him?

The milk you produce in the evening is often fattier than the morning milk. So even if it doesn't seem much, it's higher in calories and more filling.

Edit: It's common for babies to be fussy in the evening, see this: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 11, 2011

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\/\

Well I'll be damned. That's exactly what he does! I started wondering all those things too! (Did he not like my dinner? Do I not have any milk? Does he have gas? WTF baby?!)

Didn't like to read the emphatic DON'T give a bottle during this time--it's made Liam happier and given me time for uninterrupted bath/stories with Midget. :( I am reluctant to stop...but I'll start trying to nurse more and more as much a I can to work through this and try to wait longer before giving a bottle. He just gets so angry and incorrigible at the breast during that time--like he both wants it more than anything and it's simultaneously the LAST thing in the world he wants. I do think he is storing up for a longer sleep, like it said, though, because when we are finally done with all that and he has nursed, bottled, and nursed some more he is totally dead to the world. I mean, sleeps through a clothes change coma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Panne posted:

Edit: It's common for babies to be fussy in the evening, see this: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Thank you for this. Every night between 5 and 9pm, Natalie just hates the world and I have seriously questioned every action I've taken. I've gone through everything I've eaten that day trying to figure out what could be causing this. More than once, I've plopped her on dads lap and left the room to regroup. It's so confusing because during the day, everything is great and she's a happy baby that smiles at me and makes me feel wonderful. I'm just glad to know that I'm not alone with this.