Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Spread spectrum is off and I've reseated at this point. No idea about the BCLK, but I would assume it's still at factory settings. Like I said, I'm 90% sure it's just the video card being bad but the way the keyboard locks up when it happens makes me a little worried about the PCIe bus/chipset as well. I don't have enough hardware to do a proper bench test which is making this more difficult that I expected.

Oops yeah, I :downs: and read your original post wrong, of course it's the videocard. Did you buy this videocard along with mobo (i.e. did it work properly in another board before this one?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Sorry for the derail.. I'd like to gauge interest here in buying my extra P8P67 Pro.

I bought a spare to make sure three builds went well (quickly), and have an unboxed spare. I'm trying to decide whether to eBay it or SA Mart it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

necrobobsledder posted:

Looks like the Xeon E3-1220L isn't in stock... anywhere. I can't find the sucker anywhere. It's definitely in the ARK but I guess it hasn't made its way into distribution yet. The 1220L is significantly different from the E3-1220 in TDP and cache, so it's great for home file servers and the like where you care more about power usage than the performance. I don't think any of these Xeons include Romley support since that'll be on LGA1356 and LGA2011 (I seriously wonder if they picked LGA2011 for the year of release instead of for technical reasons). I believe these chips don't include the SAS controllers that the later Xeons will have.
This doesn't really seem like a good option from either a cost or power standpoint. That's a slightly worse chip than the Core i5 2390T, with the on-die graphics disabled to cut the TDP from 35W to 20W. Once you count the graphics card, it's more expensive and uses more power than the i5 2390T. A better option would be a Core i3 2100 (if you don't need the deleted features), while it has a 65W TDP, actual power usage will be similar. As a general rule, higher TDP processors complete the same workload with less total power used, because the efficiency gains from completing the job faster are greater than from using lower power for a longer time. The i3 doesn't have Turbo Boost which hurts its efficiency somewhat, but it still has SpeedStep, so idle power will be pretty much identical, and that's where it will spend a majority of its time.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

greasyhands posted:

Are there reports of this being a problem with the board? Either way I would RMA it, not having AHCI is unacceptable on a new build.

Bios problem/bug with ahci in Gigabyte in general. After digging, I've been finding out I'm not alone. :(

AHCI mode works fine if the box boots some other way (eg: I installed win7 that way), so it's definitely a bios bug.

Edit: Hey, they released a new bios (f3)! And what do you know, it boots. Had to re-enable the ahci drivers in win7 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976)

unknown fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 8, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

movax posted:

Oops yeah, I :downs: and read your original post wrong, of course it's the videocard. Did you buy this videocard along with mobo (i.e. did it work properly in another board before this one?)

All new everything (except the power supply, which has been a very reliable 500W OCZ thing). But I think I found a guy to lend me an 8800GT for bench testing so that should settle things.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
What program is everyone using to see/stress their temperatures? I just want to double-check I mounted this heat sink properly.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
I'm not sure about everyone else but CoreTemp and Prime95 worked for me

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

weinus posted:

I'm not sure about everyone else but CoreTemp and Prime95 worked for me

Is there anything number-wise I should be shooting for? Running at about 30 degrees at idle at the moment. The stress test is next.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Is there anything number-wise I should be shooting for? Running at about 30 degrees at idle at the moment. The stress test is next.

30C idle is excellent; I would say staying under 60C load/stress test on air is pretty good as well if you're ~4.7GHz or so overclocked. I don't recall off hand what the Intel upper limit is.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
CoreTemp is telling me 32C idle, max of about 48-49 with Prime95. This is with no overclocking, default settings on the P8P67 pro. Time to memtest and then go through the overclocking guide

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
CoreTemp is for AMD CPUs, RealTemp is for Intel CPUs. On popular CPUs they may read the same, but CoreTemp tends to have old/wrong TjMax values for new and less common Intel CPUs, resulting in wrong readings. I'd recommend against using Prime95 because it doesn't stress a CPU very much, I use OCCT because it offers both a regular CPU Torture Test that's similar to Prime95, as well as a Linpack test mode to produce maximum load. Linpack will easily heat a CPU to 10-15C beyond Prime95 or the OCCT Torture Test, and I've had it find errors in just a few minutes on systems that were 24 hours Prime95 stable but having occasional issues. I use the regular torture test for an initial test to see if the system is stable enough for testing and properly cooled, then run Linpack to make sure it's solid and won't overheat no matter what.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

Well then!! Looks like I couldn't have been more wrong. Thanks for the info :)

edit: FYI the version of RealTemp linked on techpowerup is old and wouldn't read my CPU frequency correctly. This one works: http://www.mediafire.com/?n99nq4kn95u6i6a

weinus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 9, 2011

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I grabbed an i7 2600k at microcenter yesterday. What are you non stock heatsink people using for cooling ?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Arctic Freezer 13.

the wobble
May 22, 2005

Bryter Layter
Doctor Rope
I use this enormous thing; Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B CPU cooler. A bit confused at first because the pc refused to cold boot because the fan didn't start spinning. (lowered the warning fan speed in bios eventually) Great cooler.

edit; I had to place the fan in a pull configuration because it interfered with the height of the heat spreaders of the Corsair Vengeance memory on a Asus P8P67. Works great.

& a picture (while the processor hasn't anything to do)

the wobble fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 11, 2011

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

I use the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nodoze posted:

I grabbed an i7 2600k at microcenter yesterday. What are you non stock heatsink people using for cooling ?

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, a relic from the 775 days.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
I switched to a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ on my 2500k and I'm running at 40 idle and 60c load @ 4.4 ghz. I'm using a Biostar TP67B+ and it works great. I could probably OC it further but what's the point, the CPU was already fast at stock speeds.

I will say this though, that Hyper 212+ is huge.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
You'll get a million 212+ replies (I use one) and it's $20 at Fry's right now. http://www.frys.com/product/5971334

It'd be silly to buy anything else unless you need a small form factor.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

greasyhands posted:

I prefer the Xigmatek Gaia which is a very similar design. The boost for me over the 212+ is the rubber grommets mounting the fan, and they give you enough grommets to mount a second fan for push-pull config.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nodoze posted:

Noctua NH-D14

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

greasyhands posted:

You'll get a million 212+ replies (I use one) and it's $20 at Fry's right now. http://www.frys.com/product/5971334

I had a Hyper 212 in my old machine and I was considering getting the 212+ so I will probably just do this

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
i5 2500k clocked at 4.32Ghz under a Hyper 212+ here.
I also Bought 2 more coolermaster fans and stuck them on the heatsink in push/pull but I didn't notice they had 3 pin connectors instead of 4 pin So I fit the 4pin fan that came with the heatsink as a rear exhaust. The two cpu fans are connected to 3pin chassis headers running on the p8p67's Turbo profile while the rear exhaust is on the CPU header running in a custom user profile, 20% at 20C and 100% at 64C. There's a fourth intake fan at the bottom front of the case just hooked to a 3pin-molex adaptor.
Current cpu temperature is 29C, maxes out at 61C under load with ambient room temp at 25-30C.

Will this be enough or will I need to rework the fans before summer heatwaves kick indoor temps to the 55-60C spikes I've seen in the last 6 years?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

You Am I posted:

Noctua NH-D14

Seconded.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

You Am I posted:

Noctua NH-D14
Thirded, though when I get my new mobo I think I'm going to switch it to using the lower rpm's for the fans cause I can actually hear them outside of my P182 which I definitely couldn't when i had my old Scythe 775 HSF

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The Thermalright Silver Arrow for $74.99 is the best heatsink currently available, and it comes with two of the best fans on the market, the Thermalright TY-140, which push the most air with the lowest noise of any 140mm fan. Here's a review of the Silver Arrow comparing it to the previous king, the Noctua NH-D14. Here's a 140mm fan roundup where the Thermalright TY-140 won. At $75 it's kind of expensive, but if you're looking to overclock as far as you can with low noise levels, nothing will compete, and when you consider the two great 140mm fans are $26 together on their own, its not a bad deal.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Alereon posted:

The Thermalright Silver Arrow for $74.99 is the best heatsink currently available, and it comes with two of the best fans on the market, the Thermalright TY-140, which push the most air with the lowest noise of any 140mm fan. Here's a review of the Silver Arrow comparing it to the previous king, the Noctua NH-D14. Here's a 140mm fan roundup where the Thermalright TY-140 won. At $75 it's kind of expensive, but if you're looking to overclock as far as you can with low noise levels, nothing will compete, and when you consider the two great 140mm fans are $26 together on their own, its not a bad deal.

Jesus, that thing is a worthy successor to the Ultra 120.

In other news, for those of you on the fence on waiting for Ivy Bridge, a magic gnome told me that the 7-Series will indeed have integrated USB 3.0. Ivy Bridge will run on 6-series boards (pending BIOS update), Sandy Bridge will happily run in 7-series boards as well.

Also PCIe 3.0 on CPU, hooray! Now where are the PCIe 3.0 cards...

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

movax posted:

Jesus, that thing is a worthy successor to the Ultra 120.

In other news, for those of you on the fence on waiting for Ivy Bridge, a magic gnome told me that the 7-Series will indeed have integrated USB 3.0. Ivy Bridge will run on 6-series boards (pending BIOS update), Sandy Bridge will happily run in 7-series boards as well.

Also PCIe 3.0 on CPU, hooray! Now where are the PCIe 3.0 cards...

That seems entirely nondickish of intel.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

So I've assembled my first PC. i5-2500k with a coolermaster 212+ and a P183 v3 case. Real temp 3.67 is reporting temperatures from 48c to 57c. I'm not doing anything crazy at the moment. Is this bad?

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

That's pretty bad for idle temps. Ideally you'll be in the high 20s, low 30s.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

weinus posted:

That's pretty bad for idle temps. Ideally you'll be in the high 20s, low 30s.

It seems like it's idling at 30 to 32. As well, the case fans are set at low. No overclocking as of yet, I'd like the thermal compound a chance to cure.

What is SOP for a new heatsink anyway? 24hrs of prime95?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Drewjitsu posted:

It seems like it's idling at 30 to 32. As well, the case fans are set at low. No overclocking as of yet, I'd like the thermal compound a chance to cure.

What is SOP for a new heatsink anyway? 24hrs of prime95?

Using Arctic Silver or workalikes, any 100 hours of load temps will cure it. The performance difference isn't huge, so you don't need to pull your punches or anything, but might I suggest Folding@Home instead of Prime95? If you're sure it's stable, at least. Might as well have that processing time do a little good.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

incoherent posted:

That seems entirely nondickish of intel.

It isn't the first time, considering how many Core 2s you could run in 775 with a BIOS update only. Still good though, I'm 100% certain that Asus will release updates for their P8P67s, it's relatively minor and it's their flagship board.

And Intel USB 3.0 hardware (more importantly, and their drivers) will be a welcome addition. I don't have anything USB 3.0 at the moment, so can't comment personally on the NEC performance, but the NEC firmware leaves a bit to be desired.

PCI Express 3.0 is cool I guess...little bit of "future" proofing on Intel's part. I want to say it maintains similar trace/physical routing requirements as 2.0, but really cuts down on data overhead by changing the line code from 8b/10b.

Theoretically, x16 Gen 2.0 should deliver (4Gb/s * 16 = 64Gb/s) in each direction, Gen 3.0 should deliver (8Gb/s * 16 = 128Gb/s) in each direction, which is :psyduck:

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
The performance of my system seems to be degrading or something... it keeps freezing while playing Bad Company 2. Now I'm running at everything being stock speeds, and it seems to be stable, but what is this poo poo?

I'm running memtest to see if there's a problem there, but I'm not really sure what to try next.

I noticed there's a new BIOS update from gigabyte, so I'll try that too.

Manos
Mar 1, 2004

movax posted:

And Intel USB 3.0 hardware (more importantly, and their drivers) will be a welcome addition. I don't have anything USB 3.0 at the moment, so can't comment personally on the NEC performance, but the NEC firmware leaves a bit to be desired.

I know for my current system it took 2 firmware updates on my usb3 addon card AND a firmware update on the usb hdd dock to get a hard drive to not reset its connection every 5 seconds. The current state of affairs certainly has a lot of room for improvement.

fed_dude
May 31, 2004
Just put together a nifty little machine with an i5 2500k. This is the first time in my 25 years of playing with computers that I have a system that could be considered above average, so I'm pretty excited about it. I definitely plan to overclock it to 4.5, as that seems the max it'll stay stable at with a cheapo aftermarket cooler. I don't know that I need it, but will probably have to get some nice games just so I can make use of it. Basically I just wanted to brag to someone who might care :)

I only have 4 gigs of ram right now, is it worth it to go to 8, will I see much of a performance difference playing something like Crysis 2? Should I got to 12 or more? Besides an aftermarket cooler, RAM seems like my cheapest upgrade possibility.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fed_dude posted:

I only have 4 gigs of ram right now, is it worth it to go to 8, will I see much of a performance difference playing something like Crysis 2? Should I got to 12 or more? Besides an aftermarket cooler, RAM seems like my cheapest upgrade possibility.

Based purely on DDR3 price trends, I would get 2x4GB now, and then buy another 2x4GB right before DDR3 begins to phase out (and the price goes up).

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Crysis 2 is 32bit so it can't see more than 3.5GB including video ram.

That said 8GB is nice for doing other things at the same time as gaming as long as they are not HDD bound. DoW2, WoW and BF:BC2 can run at the same time with full settings with about 5-10 seconds delay on alt tabbing. Everything runs smooth when it has focus except windows pops up a warning that you should disable aero but I've been ignoring that.

Task manager performance tab has about 6GB memory in use and 80% average cpu load across all four cores when testing this.

Also youtube slows any game down if you have flash hardware acceleration enabled but that's down to video card.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Verizian posted:

Crysis 2 is 32bit so it can't see more than 3.5GB including video ram.

And relatively few games are large address aware, in which case they're stuck with 2GB.

Verizian posted:

That said 8GB is nice for doing other things at the same time as gaming as long as they are not HDD bound.

Maybe you mean CPU bound? HDD bound things will benefit the most from more RAM, since more memory means less paging, and a larger disk cache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Brainfart, was thinking of a project a friend of mine is doing, rendering 720p video using a second hand AthlonFX rig with a 320GB 5400rpm HDD is painful to watch.