Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Is it just me or do your valves have writing on them?

The valves are marked either "INT" or "EXH", followed by "HERCULES" and the part number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bucephalus posted:

The valves are marked either "INT" or "EXH", followed by "HERCULES" and the part number.

I want an engine where each part is labelled like this.

Every single part :colbert:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cakefool posted:

Build-by-number kits available soon!

Cushy
Oct 11, 2004

The Conqueror

Cakefool posted:

Also, every part should have a bar code, and/or an RFID tag.

contentz:

My uncle likes to drop the clutch on things, I believe this is from his tractor.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

c355n4 posted:

Is that an acorn?! :psyduck:

I thought it was a tiny pumpkin

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cushy posted:

Also, every part should have a bar code, and/or an RFID tag.
Machine-readable 2D data matrix marking is pretty common, especially for aerospace parts, where you are concerned with lifetime traceability back to source.

Phangor
Apr 22, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What starts with F and ends in UCK?

Firetruck!

quote:

This South Euclid ladder truck was heading down Wrenford Road April 4 when it came to an unexpected, abrupt and uncontrolled stop. The U-bolts that hold the differential to the leaf springs snapped, causing the differential to roll out the back. Several tow trucks came to the scene. Those tow truck operators considered several options while trying to figure out how to hook up the truck and load the broken parts. It took about four hours to clear the road.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Phangor posted:

Firetruck!
That must have made quite an impressive noise.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I'm sure whoever was driving it at the time shouted a word that also started with an F and ended with UCK.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Nothing to see here.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

There was a joke here about saying "what happened to my FIRETRUCK?" and why he would just yell only the word FIRETRUCK.
Along the lines of "KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHN!!!"

"FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRREETRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!"

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
See, my editing the stupid joke out is pointless if you're just going to put the stupid joke back in the thread.

Your Khan joke is better than mine was anyway.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Phangor posted:

Firetruck!

:smith:

You just know that completely ruined everyone's day/week/maybe month at that particular fire station.

I wonder how much damage that caused.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Cakefool posted:

not if you know what hotspots are, unless you don't mind pulling out all of your ignition advance. :doh:

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

dietcokefiend posted:

:smith:

You just know that completely ruined everyone's day/week/maybe month at that particular fire station.

I wonder how much damage that caused.

Quite a bit of damage. It looks pretty bad, it will probably need a new driveshaft, u-bolts for the leaf springs, maybe leaf springs and possibly a transmission but probably not depending on what the driveshaft did when it slid out of the pumpkin. Also its going to need bodywork from where the rear of the truck was dragging on the ground. All of which is probably pretty expensive for a big truck like that. Atleast the pumpkin should still be good though, they just need to put it back on.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Would a local fire department have insurance on its vehicles to cover damage like that, or would they be big enough to self-insure?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Insurance probably. These days with local budget issues most can barely afford additional staff.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wiglaf posted:

not if you know what hotspots are, unless you don't mind pulling out all of your ignition advance. :doh:

I know not of your spark ignition, It's compression ignition & direct injection all the way over here buddy. :colbert:

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Cakefool posted:

I know not of your spark ignition, It's compression ignition & direct injection all the way over here buddy. :colbert:

My mistake. Don't forget to dremel your name into the piston heads.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I wonder how much of a Haynes manual I can engrave onto a crank?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Spark plugs are for the easy crowd....

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Going back to the RR track discussion for a second, being a wussy, health-and-safety-minded European, I can't believe the kind of track US railroads think it's ok to put a hundred tons of locomotive onto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g11qWro1LzQ (lunacy starts about a minute in)

Aside from the risk of derailing, as these rails basically look like spaghetti, it seems the train here is at severe risk of just ploughing into the ballast and beaching itself.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man, try getting tax money out of Americans for road upkeep, let alone rail

(Canadians are no better though)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Doesn't rail upkeep just come from the RRs profits?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Considering most rail in the US (everything outside of light commuter rail) is privately-owned, I'm absolutely shocked there's not a bottomless government subsidy for the rail industry for track maintenance and upkeep.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Geoj posted:

^
Considering most rail in the US (everything outside of light commuter rail) is privately-owned, I'm absolutely shocked there's not a bottomless government subsidy for the rail industry for track maintenance and upkeep.

Freight rail is the poster child for deregulation and probably the only instance where it unambiguously worked well

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
My work truck just decided it didn't need all those fiddly gears in the diff anymore...

thumb is for scale

it left behind a pretty good bit of metal
We'll have it apart soon, I imagine the pinion should be in interesting condition too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

pending horrible mechanical failure.
x-post to "what on ur car"

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
This was more of my doing. Surprised nothing failed harder.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Transmission explosion this past Saturday at Lemons (Millville, NJ). It's my brother's car, these are his pictures and his synopsis below.

"Best I can figure... there was a slight crack somewhere that started leaking fluid, probably ran it dry, something seized (although it shifted perfectly and made no noise right up until the decisive moment) and jammed a reciprocating part which effectively transferred all of that rotational energy into splitting the crack wide open and ka-bam. Two laps before, I had a bit of smoke coming into the cockpit around the shifter boot, brought it in, initially we thought it was trans fluid leaking on the exhaust but then popped the hood and saw the dipstick popped up a few inches and a bunch of engine oil had leaked out at high rpm and figured it streamed back under the trans.. Topped the oil (was down maybe 3/4 qt. from that), wired the dipstick down just in case, took it back out with the expectation that the oil that had already leaked would smoke for a few laps. It did... and then after it exploded, I got it pulled off, made sure my leg was still attached, saw transmission parts under my clutch foot and the hole where the gearbox used to be, and made the astute deduction that it must in fact have been trans fluid after all. Not a drop on the track where it detonated, indicating that it had ALL leaked out. Surprised it still worked so well even up to the last 4-5 shift a couple of seconds before the end."

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Jesus loving Christ! :psyduck:

Your brother is lucky he didn't get injured.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Holy poo poo when you said exploded you weren't joking! :aaaaa:

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Catastrophic flywheel and transmission failures are great ways to emulate the end result of WWII tail and ball-gunners who had the displeasure of directly experiencing flack shrapnel.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

The King of Swag posted:

Catastrophic flywheel and transmission failures are great ways to emulate the end result of WWII tail and ball-gunners who had the displeasure of directly experiencing flack shrapnel.

That looks too far back to be a clutch/flywheel and he definitely wouldn't have feet if it were. It looks like the actual gearset in the gearbox decided to go kaboom from the splinedshafts.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

It was the gearset, not the flywheel. He's OK barring some "grapefruit sized" knots on his right leg. Anyone have a line on a Fiat 131 transmission or an idea for an engine/tranny swap? It's a 1976 Fiat Mirafiori.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Itchy_Grundle posted:

It's a 1976 Fiat Mirafiori.

The same one that's in the LeMons wiki article?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
If its the Fiat twin-cam engine, a Spider trans will work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamn. Note to self, if I ever build a Lemons car, put in a scatter shield.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Revolvyerom posted:

I sat here for a little bit, trying to figure out what previous post had mentioned an unfortunate situation that had prompted you to parody one.

That's pretty spectacular.

Not a parody of anything.

:nms:
[timg]http://i56.tinypic.com/1f7mu0.jpg[/img][/timg]

That's a pin sticking out of my hand. It will be like that for five weeks longer. Also, I found out last Friday that they actually removed an entire bone from the base of my thumb because it was shattered so badly that it could not be repaired.

B4Ctom1 posted:

edit: I didn't realize you meant this as a prank to wreck driveways :(

You should see what tossing a chicken carcass in a vat of that stuff will do :coolfish:

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Paul Boz_ posted:

Not a parody of anything.

[timg]http://i56.tinypic.com/1f7mu0.jpg[/img][/timg]

That's a pin sticking out of my hand. It will be like that for five weeks longer. Also, I found out last Friday that they actually removed an entire bone from the base of my thumb because it was shattered so badly that it could not be repaired.

You should see what tossing a chicken carcass in a vat of that stuff will do :coolfish:

Didn't your MR2 try to crush you to death also? Your cars hate you.