Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifted77ford
Apr 7, 2011
My ride be a 1977 Ford F150 with a 429 4 inch lift on 35s:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lifted77ford posted:

did you just get it off Craigslist?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

Shaocaholica posted:

I really like this photo.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
Got my car back from being stolen.

Photo before the cowl hood came unlatched and snapped off on a luckily empty road.

Photo with the new hood from a few weeks ago, although the car is fairly dirty here.

I need to get it nice and clean on a nice day, and take some good photos once I get my hood, front clip, and drivers side front fender replaced with a reproduction and painted with the money from selling some guns. The original maroon paint is still in great shape though.

Current plans are to install a set of KYB Gas shocks, along with hotchkiss 1 inch lowering springs, and a rebuilt Monte Carlo SS quick ratio power steering box. The car already handles quite well with the unknown performance springs on the back, and the nice lightweight Monte Carlo SS wheels and I imagine a few other things I don't know about, so I imagine with a set of brand new shocks, springs, and the power steering box, along with the lightweight wheels, and a decent set of rubber, with the meaty 255s on the back, it should handle quite well, especially for a car of its type. After that I'm installing a rear differential with a 3.08 or 3.23 rear end, which should work nicely with the shift kit I have installed on the TH-350, the car shifts incredibly fast and smooth, I'd say easily less than half a second at optimum RPM, it also lets my shift the car manually which helps squeeze everything I can out of the lightly worked 305 going through horrible 2.21 gears. Lightly worked meaning a 305 with an Edelbrock Performer 500 CFM carb on an Edelbrock ignition setup, there is an MSD distributor cap although I think it may be the whole distributor and timing setup, is there an easy way to check this? The car has had all emissions equipment removed and the AC, so no EGR valve. The headers are still stock but the exhaust is a set of true dual cherry bombs. No idea if the heads are stock or modified as the previous owner did not know much about the car at all and I think he was selling it for someone else or inherited it. Overall those modifications should open up the 305 a fair bit, especially considering it is not too tired, only 117,000 km on it when I purchased it.

With the suspension work done, good tires, and the nice quick gearing in the rear endalong with a torque converter, I'm either going to build up the 305 to do something different. I don't really have the space or tools to do a swap, and I like to be different when it comes to modifying cars. I know a local dude who has a 1980 Monte Carlo with a 305, 4.56:1 gears, TH350 with TCS 3200 stall converter, and 27x10.5 MT ET streets and the fastest time he has to date is a 12.935 and 103.66 mph, so I'd probably ask him for advice, as my goal is 250-300 hp and over 300 lb ft of torque which should make for a reasonably quick street machine. These cars aren't too heavy, weighing in at around 3200 lbs with a driver and tank of gas. After all that is done, I'll probably be happy with the car but when I get a thirst for more power I will probably do a swap to a bigger engine and either a 5 speed manual or auto, but thats a long ways down the road.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Lifted77ford posted:

Holy poo poo that's awesome. Whats the 429 out of and is there anything done to it?

z3bracak3
Apr 22, 2010

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

The car has had all emissions equipment removed and the AC, so no EGR valve. The headers are still stock but the exhaust is a set of true dual cherry bombs. No idea if the heads are stock or modified as the previous owner did not know much about the car at all and I think he was selling it for someone else or inherited it. Overall those modifications should open up the 305 a fair bit, especially considering it is not too tired, only 117,000 km on it when I purchased it.

Have you had any trouble after removing the smog equipment removed? My father did this to my car and I'm curious if there's anything else beyond removing the pieces? You're car is really nice though, I think I like the way the LS looks over the SS. Glad you got it back too!

boondocksts
Sep 28, 2004
the blazing s4

Shaocaholica posted:

Don't really post on AI much but here's my -humble- 2011 Lancer GTS.

Great pictures, and your car looks awesome. Not over the top, but still pretty mean looking. The mudflaps add a nice touch.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Scabrous Teat posted:

I really like this photo.

boondocksts posted:

Great pictures, and your car looks awesome. Not over the top, but still pretty mean looking. The mudflaps add a nice touch.

Thanks. The mug flaps are all the rage with kids these days.

I went to a Lancer(not EVO) meet in So Cal last week. I was older than most of the members by almost a decade and I'm only 28 :( Seems like people in my age group are typically buying EVOs while those with much less income are buying the GTS. Funny thing is I -think- my annual income is more than most EVO owners.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Shaocaholica posted:

I went to a Lancer(not EVO) meet in So Cal last week. I was older than most of the members by almost a decade and I'm only 28 :( Seems like people in my age group are typically buying EVOs while those with much less income are buying the GTS. Funny thing is I -think- my annual income is more than most EVO owners.

Shame on you for buying responsibly. :v:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Shaocaholica posted:

How dare you. At least 50% of your income should be going to your car (I don't do this either)

When I went to the only Corvette club meeting I ever went to my wife and I were the youngest people there by about 20 years.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Photo with the new hood from a few weeks ago, although the car is fairly dirty here.

I think you should keep this hood.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

z3bracak3 posted:

Have you had any trouble after removing the smog equipment removed? My father did this to my car and I'm curious if there's anything else beyond removing the pieces? You're car is really nice though, I think I like the way the LS looks over the SS. Glad you got it back too!

No problems as far as I know, although the only thing my car had I think is the cats and the EGR valve. I need to buy some high temperature gasket maker and fix a small vacuum leak on a plate on the intake manifold before I really bother tuning the carb right though but the car runs very well right now, just a fair bit ritch, especially when its warmer out.

travisray2004 posted:

I think you should keep this hood.

Yeah at first I was worried the car would look too plain and stock but its been growing on me a lot, I need to get all the bolts in though so it sits right, also the guy before me removed the safety catch for some reason.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

timb posted:

No, I just bought them. Reviews seemed good to me, and the price was right. I've got about 750 miles on them right now, little sidewall roll, they're quiet and seem to only get stickier the harder I push them.

Did you notice your problems from the get go or after a few thousand miles?

From the get-go. I took the car to a local road course for a fun day about 1000 miles after they went on and by the end of the day you could plainly see where the tires had rolled over enough that the edge of the sidewall had been touching the pavement, and coming out of some of the harder corners they were on the cusp of losing it. My Focus was taken out by a deer so I gave them to my little brother (who also has a Focus) with maybe 40% tread left, and he immediately commented on how loud they were, especially after he replaced them with a set of Hankook Ventus V12s.

I guess its possible BFG has changed the design/compound since I last had a set (2007/8) but aside from their wet handling I can't really say anything good about them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Das Volk posted:

How dare you. At least 50% of your income should be going to your car (I don't do this either)

When I went to the only Corvette club meeting I ever went to my wife and I were the youngest people there by about 20 years.

I remember there was a Corvair owner on here who was quite a bit younger than the enthusiast crowd :v:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Just got an 05 Honda Element to deal with winter and dirtbiking.

AWD
5 speed
premium sound

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
Just drove this off the lot yesterday :cool:

'09 Focus SE, 35k on the odo. Runs smooth as hell.

I'll snag better pics when I'm not home and have my camera on me.

Great Orb! fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 10, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Insurance on Evos is also brutal at 18, a kid at my college who was a freshman in '07 had a brand new 9 MR and said it was almost 5k/yr to insure.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Spring time is in full effect. I uncovered my car and put on new front tires today.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Priss In Plate posted:

Just drove this off the lot yesterday :cool:

'09 Focus SE, 35k on the odo. Runs smooth as hell.

http://i.imgur.com/HExH4.jpg

I'll snag better pics when I'm not home and have my camera on me.

Auto trans or manual? We've had our '08 now for about 6 months and LOVE it still. Perfect commuter car.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Muffinpox posted:

Insurance on Evos is also brutal at 18, a kid at my college who was a freshman in '07 had a brand new 9 MR and said it was almost 5k/yr to insure.

There's a guy on 9glancers who has a GTS and pays $868/month. Thats PER MONTH. Something about speeding tickets and street racing.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Shaocaholica posted:

There's a guy on 9glancers who has a GTS and pays $868/month. Thats PER MONTH. Something about speeding tickets and street racing.

Jesus...I pay less than that per year for my Shelby. At some point, it's just not worth it to drive any more...

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

angryhampster posted:

Auto trans or manual? We've had our '08 now for about 6 months and LOVE it still. Perfect commuter car.

Automatic. I have to consider that I'm still rubbish with a stick and that other people will (rarely) drive it.

Only thing I'm not digging is the lack of cruise control and coil-on-plug spark plugs :can:. However, I'm getting cruise control installed next week!

Great Orb! fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 9, 2011

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Priss In Plate posted:

Automatic. I have to consider that I'm still rubbish with a stick and that other people will (rarely) drive it.

Only thing I'm not digging is the lack of cruise control (and coil-on-plug spark plugs :can:), but I'm getting that installed next week!

The lack of CC bothered me at first, but we took ours on a 1000 mile road trip for CHristmas and I got used to it quickly. Where are you getting your CC installed? How much?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Muffinpox posted:

Like it matters, something tells me someone who is 18 and is driving a brand new Evo has a trust fund to pay for everything anyways.

Priss In Plate posted:

coil-on-plug spark plugs :can:

I thought coil-on-plug was better than a single coil...?

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 10, 2011

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Finally got around to getting a picture of my new car, 07 335i with 24k miles on it:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Neat view.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

angryhampster posted:

The lack of CC bothered me at first, but we took ours on a 1000 mile road trip for CHristmas and I got used to it quickly. Where are you getting your CC installed? How much?

It was included with the price actually but they didn't have the parts at the shop. So it's going to be installed for free. :)

Geoj posted:

I thought coil-on-plug was better than a single coil...?

I was looking at it more cost-wise. They're rather expensive to replace/fix/what have you. :ohdear:

epix
Aug 7, 2004
Took off the winter wheels and blizzaks and put on the summer wheels.. Typhoon is still in hibernation for a few more weeks.

epix fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 10, 2011

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Priss In Plate posted:

It was included with the price actually but they didn't have the parts at the shop. So it's going to be installed for free. :)

Is it aftermarket or a factory unit? From what I understand, you can't get factory cruise unless you have Sync installed on the car.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

angryhampster posted:

Is it aftermarket or a factory unit? From what I understand, you can't get factory cruise unless you have Sync installed on the car.

From what I understand, all you need to do is get the steering wheel, connect it, plug it all in, and use the Ford IDS scan tool and enable it on the car's computer system. At least, that's what the mechanic said to me.

For reference (on a 2010 Focus SE, basically the same car): http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224003

Great Orb! fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 10, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
I'm surprised that cruise control isn't a standard feature. If the car is pedal-by-wire there's no reason not to include it by default, unless the manufacturer is being cheap. How much can the buttons and a few extra feet of wiring cost over the standard steering wheel?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Geoj posted:

^
I'm surprised that cruise control isn't a standard feature. If the car is pedal-by-wire there's no reason not to include it by default, unless the manufacturer is being cheap. How much can the buttons and a few extra feet of wiring cost over the standard steering wheel?

Considerably less than the profit margin for making someone buy an expensive package to get it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

MikeyTsi posted:

Considerably less than the profit margin for making someone buy an expensive package to get it.

Exactly. IIRC, it's only available from the dealer if you have Sync (that may have been my confusion), which is a ~$1000 option on a $14k car.

Boss
Feb 23, 2011
Gave the work truck a good clean for the summer.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

angryhampster posted:

Exactly. IIRC, it's only available from the dealer if you have Sync (that may have been my confusion), which is a ~$1000 option on a $14k car.

I'm sure you can get the dealer to enable it for a backroom fee if you ask. My friend bought his 5.0 with CAGS disabled after he mentioned how much he disliked it but before he knew he could do it himself. Once it's out the factory doors the dealership can pretty much do whatever, especially if it's a walking point for only a few hundred dollars.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 10, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MikeyTsi posted:

Not questioning that there's a profit motive at play, but with almost all cars coming out today being pedal-by-wire I would think at some point cruise control is going to go the way of power steering, power brakes, airbags and air conditioning as "options" and just become a standard feature.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Geoj posted:

Not questioning that there's a profit motive at play, but with almost all cars coming out today being pedal-by-wire I would think at some point cruise control is going to go the way of power steering, power brakes, airbags and air conditioning as "options" and just become a standard feature.

A lot of those would be considered safety features (A/C aside) and those tend to be tacked on as standard if only to raise the desirability of the car. Cruise control doesn't really fit into that ideal. It's an easy money maker.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
A month or so ago, I picked up a 1975 BMW 2002. 5 days later, the thermostat failed, the engine overheated, the head gasket blew out and it started smoking wildly while dumping oil into the coolant system as well as coolant into the oil system. Catastrophic.

Thus began my project to tear the engine down on the side of the road outside of my apartment (during the 3 days a month it DOESN'T rain here in Portland during the winter). Carb, radiator, fan, belt, hoses removed. Valve cover off, timing chain and gear removed from cam, head removed with manifolds attached. Manifolds removed, head taken to machine shop for testing. Had it resurfaced after it tested out ok. Then began the reassembly process. I had to buy hundreds in tools, equipment and replacement parts. New water pump, thermostat, belt, gaskets, fan.. had to get a jack and jackstands, oil, plug wires, etc etc.

Then, today, the project ended. Reassembly was completed. I checked to make sure cam timing wasn't off by manually turning over the engine with a wrench for a while torqued all remaining bolts down, reconnected all the hoses, crossed my fingers and turned the key. It started and ran like a champ. Drained the oil, refilled it with new oil and motor flush, let it get warm, drained oil/flush, refilled with new oil. Ran it for a while again, let it get up to operating temp and drove it around for a while to get it up to full temperature. No more smoke and no overheating. All seems well with it. Tomorrow is the coolant system flush and then the fine ignition timing adjustments.

It may have horrible paint but it now seems to run fine, has a completely brand new E21 BMW interior and new carpet, the sunroof works great, it has a stack an inch thick of paperwork for tons and tons of little parts the previous owner replaced and maintenance he had done on it. It even has an upgraded Weber 32/36 carburetor. I think with a fresh paintjob, this will end up being an adorable little car. I may also want to shorten those diving boards BMW calls bumpers.

For being a bike-riding hippie who hasn't owned a car since 2006, I sure did dump a boatload of work into this old rattletrap in the last month.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 10, 2011

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

Catastrophe posted:

That is one nice car, man. :cheers: Classics are always nice, and I hope I can own an old Merc/BMW someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007

epix posted:

Took off the winter wheels and blizzaks and put on the summer wheels.. Typhoon is still in hibernation for a few more weeks.

Wow...those wheels