Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Anyone have a recipe/guide to painting dark elf skin? Like, for drow? I imagine I can just wing it with dark purple but was wondering if there's a decent article on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

crime fighting hog posted:

Anyone have a recipe/guide to painting dark elf skin? Like, for drow? I imagine I can just wing it with dark purple but was wondering if there's a decent article on it.

I do 50/50 chardon granite/your favorite black (I use P3), wash badab, highlight with basecoat, final highlight pure chardon granite for my Salamanders scouts. They have drow-like skin, so they might work.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Someone's Dark Eldar were Dheneb Stone with Ogryn Flesh wash.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

SRM posted:

Someone's Dark Eldar were Dheneb Stone with Ogryn Flesh wash.

Right should have been more clear

Dark, bluish/purple basically.

I'll give it a shot, Sushi. I've been taking breaks from my Cryx to do models for a D&D group that plays at my store, and its been a lot of fun so far.

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 9, 2011

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Does anybody have any suggestions for brushes to use for dry brushing? Obviously they wouldn't need to be of WNs7 quality, but, on the other end of the spectrum, I don't want to get something so cheap that it sheds bristles all over the place. I'm just looking for a few cheap but durable brushes with somewhat stiff bristles. Even better if they can be ordered from Dick Blick or Amazon.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

I'd say Charadon Granite, built up with layers of warlock purple and increasing amounts of dheneb stone.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd say Charadon Granite, built up with layers of warlock purple and increasing amounts of dheneb stone.

This for that effect.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hmm, that's a hard one. For a skin tone like that picture I'd say mix Hormagaunt Purple with maybe Charadon Granite for a dark, purplish base. Then yeah, probably add charadon granite to highlight and depending on the result maybe lay a bit of Leviathan Purple back into the recesses.

I think Warlock would be too intense of a purple, but hormagaunt has a chalkier, pastel look to it that'll produce a more subdued purple like in the picture.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Oh, that picture didn't load when I posted. Hormagaunt, definitely.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Could I get some comments on my attempt to Nurgle-ify some Chaos Knights please guys?

X13Fen fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 9, 2011

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Uber Kosh posted:

Could I get some comments on my attempt to Nurgle-ify some Chaos Knights?

Looks ok. One thing you nurgle-ify them could be done while painting. Have some joints/openings in their armor have leaks/stained-streaks of bile or other vile liquid coming out of them.

Don't make it over the top, just something soft and subtle, like rust-runoff stains on armored vehicles and the like. Like this, with bile instead of rust:

(specifically referring to the runoff-streaking under the black thing)

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Has anyone got any advice for pinning Hive Guard, or pinning in general? I've got a pin vice but I'm having a hell of a time working out how to drill the hole in the legs to make them look flush.

Not making me look forward to doing the Zoanthropes.

Also the dakkadakka pinning tutorial is blank. :(

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Acidix posted:

BEST
DAY
EVER

Far better item from the same site:

http://puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=20

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Cassa posted:

Failed my Pinning check :(

Pinning, in three easy steps (sorta):

1) fit the pieces together to ensure they will fit how you like them to, memorize what it looks like.
2) Drill hole into one piece, insert rod/wire/paperclip into hole, glue in place. When the glue dries, cut rod/wire/paperclip down to size with appropriate tool (I prefer metal snips).
3) Place a dab of white-out (or paint) on the end of your rod/wire/paperclip section and try to fit the pieces back together carefully. When you pull them apart again (carefully), you'll have a dot of white-out on the other side, exactly where you want to drill. Drill here, add glue, combine.

Pinning, easy-style:
1) drill hole, insert paper clip of slightly smaller size. Cut to desired length, but don't glue.
2) estimate where you want the other hole to be. Drill here.
3) add glue to both holes, insert paper clip section. It should wiggle enough to allow you to get the piece together without checking it.

Pinning by not pinning (:wtc:):
1) mix J.B. Weld together, apply carefully.
2) press parts together and secure them (rubber bands, gravity, soft clap, so on).
3) wipe off excess. Wait 24 hours.

Optionally, pin as normal but use J.B. Weld in the socket you create on one side, and superglue elsewhere to hold the parts together while it cures. Remember, strong rubber bands are good for holding parts together and will preserve your sanity.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I had to crank out a quick picture for my oath, but the Ogryn are done. So, rest easy Fix, they found a good home.

Bonus picture of whole group so far.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Sole.Sushi posted:

Pinning, in three easy steps (sorta)

Thanks heaps man, totally spaced out on the white out idea.

I actually asked my dad about how he used to put his metal dudes together, and he wound up soldering the legs to the Hive Guard but I think I'll give pinning another try.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cassa posted:

I actually asked my dad about how he used to put his metal dudes together, and he wound up soldering the legs to the Hive Guard but I think I'll give pinning another try.

Aww, hamming with your pops. :3:

Some may call it child abuse, I just call it bonding with your dad.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hell Diver posted:

I had to crank out a quick picture for my oath, but the Ogryn are done. So, rest easy Fix, they found a good home.

Bonus picture of whole group so far.

Everything I see that Ogryn with the blue shades I just go and... :swoon:

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
So ah.. I got inspired the other day and decided to try scratch building myself a kan, with the plans that if it turned out ok I'd build maybe nine or so? anyways I've never actually seen a kan model in the flesh before so I imagine the scale is out.. Could anyone post a picture of a kan next to a boy or something?

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

9 out 10 dentists agree...

Bang3r posted:

Could anyone post a picture of a kan next to a boy or something?

That looks great so far.

pw pw pw posted:

Chet, I love the bright simplicity of your hams. They are retro in the best way.

Thanks, they do look a little more neutral in real life though. I blame the iPhone camera...it over saturates everything.

Chet AwesomeLaser fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 9, 2011

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Chet, I love the bright simplicity of your hams. They are retro in the best way.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

SkunkDuster posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions for brushes to use for dry brushing? Obviously they wouldn't need to be of WNs7 quality, but, on the other end of the spectrum, I don't want to get something so cheap that it sheds bristles all over the place. I'm just looking for a few cheap but durable brushes with somewhat stiff bristles. Even better if they can be ordered from Dick Blick or Amazon.

If you've got a hobby store or a GW nearby, consider picking up one of the Citadel Small Drybrushes. I bought one two weeks ago and it's the single best drybrush I've ever had, then again I'm probably the only person that prefers the citadel brushes.

EDIT: Link

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat470016a&prodId=prod20028a

Apparently there's a small, medium, and large size

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

I don't know how you feel about Reaper's paints, but they have a "Dark Elf Skin" triad that I like to use. Mind you, I don't use them for skin, I just like the colors. Although I was planning to paint my High Elves with that skin color when I get around to it (In 2032).

Here they are on my Dwarf Lord:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Chet AwesomeLaser posted:

Nacho, nacho ork...I want to be a...nacho ork :orks:

I have not see you around here long but I can tell I am going to like you.

SkunkDuster posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions for brushes to use for dry brushing?

Once I inevitably destroyed my starter brush that came in the starter set after day one I used it as my drybrush. I am a freak about recycling though. I am by no means the best painter but I never though a dry brush needed to be fancy. Just something to make chain mail really easy to paint.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Everything I see that Ogryn with the blue shades I just go and... :swoon:

It literally pained me to get rid of that one, but I'd never do it the justice goodbuddy Hell Diver did. Nice work on the lot!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted some orks. Nothing special, and the combo of blue pigments and metallic paints makes taking photos basically a :lol: fest.

Edit: and Reinholt too for good measure.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 9, 2011

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I just want to say that I discovered zip kicker the other day and it has greatly increased my model construction speed.

Everything I own is now assembled and the last models are primed and drying.

There's a lot of painting in my near future.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Fyrbrand I'm stealing your colour scheme ok.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Go for it dude! It's basically the easiest thing in the world. When I'm not lazy I can crank out 10 boyz in a couple of hours, easy.

Edit :lol: just noticed one of my dogs mooning the camera. dogs own.

Brodin
Mar 30, 2011
Those orks look pretty dang good, love the deathskull blue you got going on, especially how it's dabbed on the armor and guns.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

Chet AwesomeLaser posted:

That looks great so far.

Oh thank christ it's in scale, I always tend to make things to big (my boss is the size of a dreadnaught)

ps to echo everyone else, your orks look great!

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

That's a lot to do! (and there's some more in the garage with the primer drying)

Finished Spawning Vessel with 4 Acolyths.
Double, double, toil and trouble...

Spell Martyrs in progress.

Need to add platinum highlights to all the rivets / borders on the armor, and add some normal highlighting.

Also, the wash seems to have sat a lot near the neck, i'll try to lighten that up.

Again, I'd love tips and criticisms. Nothing is sealed yet, so I can still add more highlights or whatever.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 10, 2011

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Inverse Icarus posted:

:beck:

drat man, you been busy painting! I wish I could get some painting time in. I have a ton of models to paint, and tonight I spent an hour giving them a pre-primer wash.

Should be priming about 40 models tomorrow!

(also, that : beck : emoticon is hilarious. I was looking for an image equivalent of :words: but did not see one.)

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 10, 2011

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

whoever bought that emoticon must be extremely disappointed

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

whoever bought that emoticon must be extremely disappointed

Or really really happy.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I've almost finished a thing.

I've told myself to just finish the arm, glue it together and call it a day, but it so rainy out I'm hesitant to prime the arm bit I constructed.

I think I like how the white came out. Also did my first ever jewels. They look okay... anything you think I could improve for the next one?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You can't seem the gem too well but it looks pretty good. Maybe a little brighter near the bottom and more black on the top but you might be going for a really deep red.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I plan on actually making a light box so I can take a decent photo.

My buddy showed me how he does his Eldar gems and I tried to emulate them. It is a very deep red.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Bav I'm really glad to see you continue to make use of this account ever since I (indirectly) convinced to join last year. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

A finished Spell Martyr.

I'm thinking of putting even more platinum on the rivets/edges. Not sure what else to do.

I love the gore of the exploding chests so much.

• Locked thread