Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawrenceOfHerLabia
Feb 4, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Mullah Nasrudin posted:

I thought Louis was really trying hard to get some more juice out of these people, but it just doesn't work out as well as the first time he met them. They're so litigious in their speech and behavior toward outsiders that even an experienced guy like Theroux can't mine them for much more.

And the one point about this cult that I don't think I've seen any interviewer or documentarian bring up is that all the crazy and horrific poo poo they say is actually in the Bible and mainstream Christians held pretty much the same view as them for centuries. I don't personally know anybody more outraged about the Phelps' than my staunchest Christian friends and I have to think it's because they're just embarrassed about the old-fashioned dark side of their own religion being brought back out in the open.

In a way I have more respect for the Phelps' than the so-called mainstream Christians who pick and chose the good bits from the bible and leave the rest. At least the Phelps' aren't being hypocritical or inconsistent when it comes to obeying the sky fairy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

LawrenceOfHerLabia posted:

In a way I have more respect for the Phelps' than the so-called mainstream Christians who pick and chose the good bits from the bible and leave the rest. At least the Phelps' aren't being hypocritical or inconsistent when it comes to obeying the sky fairy.

I doubt it. More likely, they pick and choose their own passages to live by; their choices and interpretations are so far away from mainstream that even other firebrand preachers hate them.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Also, when analyzing the Phelp's it's better to ignore the Biblical scripture they cite and refer instead to theories of group psychology. Look at the personality of their leaders, their relationship with wider society, the distribution of power and duties, the inter-dependencies, the sources of income, etc. These will give you far better insight into how and why they act the way they act than Biblical quotes. After all, everyone from gays to liberals to right-wing nuts love to quote the Bible; you can support almost any social movement with creative interpretation.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

In a way, you are confused for even remotely thinking Phelps cult are not being hypocritical or inconsistent. They also are picking and choosing parts of the bible. What are the "good parts" you speak of?

Respect for the Phelps'

:laffo: :laffo: :laffo:

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Every word in this post is wrong.

iCloud Strife
Jul 24, 2007

by angerbeet

Baron Bifford posted:

Also, when analyzing the Phelp's it's better to ignore the Biblical scripture they cite and refer instead to theories of group psychology.
I agree that this explains their behavior, but why give the Bible and the majority of Christian history a pass on its explicit bigotry? The Phelps' seem like they've stepped out of a time machine from... oh... ANY time in the Christian world from before 1960.

quote:

you can support almost any social movement with creative interpretation.
True, but the Phelps' don't need a creative interpretation at all to say that gays deserve eternal torture in literally a lake of fire.

LawrenceOfHerLabia
Feb 4, 2005

by Ozmaugh

WouldDesk posted:

Respect for the Phelps'

I think the Baby Jeebus needs to bless you with a new sarcasm meter.
Hypocritical Christians in my America? Say it ain't so!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mullah Nasrudin posted:

I agree that this explains their behavior, but why give the Bible and the majority of Christian history a pass on its explicit bigotry? The Phelps' seem like they've stepped out of a time machine from... oh... ANY time in the Christian world from before 1960.

I believe you'll find this behavior in all societies across all time. The Hindus, Buddhists and Muslims all have their nutcase sects.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Sure don't care about whatever you guys are arguing about in the Documentaries thread.

Did you guys know that now, with youtube's recent changes to its filtering interface, if you want to search for a playlist, you just add a comma and a space and the word "playlist"? This is awesome for finding entire albums that are queued up, or piecemeal doc's and videos that were uploaded in parts before the restrictions on video length were lifted. Examples:

"Pink Floyd The Wall, playlist" (find a queued up playlist that plays each video sequentially)

"Ant Documentary, long" (find a long video that matches the search terms "ant documentary"

Here's a practical example:

"The Golden Age of Steam" - a broad spectrum survey of steam locomotion. Pretty cool, good comentary"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh5wvNwa57U&playnext=1&list=PLD9516D980891BE64

(Hope that links to a playlist and that the link works right)

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918
Apologies if this has already been posted. It's a Louis Theroux documentary about survivalism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpfJpHco11I

Pretty drat interesting and infuriating at times. You can find the rest on the "related videos" thing on the left.

Does anyone have any more documentaries about survivalism? This stuff is weird and fascinating.

Edit: I mean the crazy paranoid "THE UN IS GOING TO TAKE AWAY OUR HOMES" people, not the cool survival guys who just like to hang out in the woods.

o3o fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 9, 2011

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Did anybody else notice that one of the Phelps' girls makes a reference to Antoine Dodson when answering Louis' questions?
She starts with "Weeeell, obviously..." and her sisters start to giggle.

It was awesome.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Non Serviam posted:

Did anybody else notice that one of the Phelps' girls makes a reference to Antoine Dodson when answering Louis' questions?
She starts with "Weeeell, obviously..." and her sisters start to giggle.

It was awesome.
You know people were saying that before Antoine Dodson right? And that the phelps hate homosexuals?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

uG posted:

You know people were saying that before Antoine Dodson right? And that the phelps hate homosexuals?

OMG, really? The dude from https://www.godhatesfags.com is anti-gay? This is an unexpected turn of events.
It was still awesome (EDIT: by that I mean hilarious)

To contribute:

Death of Kim Il Sung
It's not really a documentary (unless you speak Korean, I guess) just a video covering the TOTALLY SPONTANEOUS reactions after Kim Il Sung's death (the father of the current insane North Korean tyrant, Kim Jong Il). I just finished a book about North Korea, so the whole phenomenon surprises me. Though a lot of it is clearly staged, there are actually a lot of people who cried like that, and who even committed suicide after Kim Il Sung's death. It's like North Korea is one big experiment on cult mentality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrvIM1ENcbA

NOTE: The video is hosted by an insane pro-north korea retard, so don't pay attention to the propagandistic title.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 9, 2011

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
edit: n/m

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Non Serviam posted:

OMG, really? The dude from https://www.godhatesfags.com is anti-gay? This is an unexpected turn of events.
It was still awesome (EDIT: by that I mean hilarious)

To contribute:

A video covering the TOTALLY SPONTANEOUS reactions after Kim Il Sung's death (the father of the current insane North Korean tyrant, Kim Jong Il). I just finished a book about North Korea, so the whole phenomenon surprises me. Though a lot of it is clearly staged, there are actually a lot of people who cried like that, and who even committed suicide after Kim Il Sung's death. It's like North Korea is one big experiment on cult mentality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrvIM1ENcbA

NOTE: The video is hosted by an insane pro-north korea retard, so don't pay attention to the propagandistic title.

Goddamn accordingto that video North Korea

a.) constantly sounds like it's in the middle of a large tornado

and

b.) is apparently on always on a ship at rough seas.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

WouldDesk posted:

In a way, you are confused for even remotely thinking Phelps cult are not being hypocritical or inconsistent. They also are picking and choosing parts of the bible. What are the "good parts" you speak of?

Respect for the Phelps'

I used to immaturely laugh at the Phelps clan, since freshman year of high school in 1997 really. They were so stupid, backwards and offensive, it was hard to take seriously.

Then I read up on how Phelps treated his own family. All the beatings. The daily marathons for 3 year olds. The starvation of his children, while he forced them out into the streets to sell chocolate for his drug addiction. Shooting a neighbors dog with a shotgun. They are driven by their fathers sheer all encompassing world-hate and sadism, and most of the children took up his fight for their own survival.

It's not funny any more. They really need to be eradicated.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

GOP posted:

I used to immaturely laugh at the Phelps clan, since freshman year of high school in 1997 really. They were so stupid, backwards and offensive, it was hard to take seriously.

Then I read up on how Phelps treated his own family. All the beatings. The daily marathons for 3 year olds. The starvation of his children, while he forced them out into the streets to sell chocolate for his drug addiction. Shooting a neighbors dog with a shotgun. They are driven by their fathers sheer all encompassing world-hate and sadism, and most of the children took up his fight for their own survival.

I was laughing at the comment of the person I was responding too for saying they have respect for the Phelps as I do not think they were being sarcastic as they have said since then. And it was not an immature laugh, I legitimately find it mind boggling how anyone could respect them. Sure, they need to be eradicated and whatnot. I am sure there are plenty of people (public and private groups) watching them, where did you read about the things you refer too? I would like to read them.

But, on the the documentaries now :eng101:

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

WouldDesk posted:

I was laughing at the comment of the person I was responding too for saying they have respect for the Phelps as I do not think they were being sarcastic as they have said since then. And it was not an immature laugh, I legitimately find it mind boggling how anyone could respect them. Sure, they need to be eradicated and whatnot. I am sure there are plenty of people (public and private groups) watching them, where did you read about the things you refer too? I would like to read them.

But, on the the documentaries now :eng101:

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to attack what you said.

But there was this book length expose about the Phelps family on a site called baptistwatch.org.

Unfortunately, I can't find it now.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

GOP posted:

No, they don't.
If there's actual evidence of child endangerment (physical abuse) or drug-related crimes then they should be brought to court; otherwise, they should just be left alone.

The Phelps represent one of the beautiful things about the US. The right of people to say absolutely batshit insane things without the threat of being "eradicated".

As one of the many people who will burn in hell, according to these idiots, I couldn't care less about what they have to say, and find it specially offensive in certain occasions, but they have the right to say it, without the threat of "private groups" doing vigilantism because they don't like their message (which, as another poster said, is limited to quoting some of the craziest bible passages, not making them up).

Still obsessed with North Korea situation so...
Inside Undercover in North Korea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_268_pBvPs

quote:

Join National Geographic's Lisa Ling as she captures a rare look inside North Korea - something few Americans have ever been able to do. Posing as an undercover medical coordinator and closely guarded throughout her trip, Lisa moves inside the most isolated nation in the world, encountering a society completely dominated by government and dictatorship. Glimpse life inside North Korea as you've never seen before with personal accounts and powerful footage. Witness first-hand efforts by humanitarians and the challenges they face from the rogue regime.
The ending, with the reactions of the patients after the surgery, is particularly frightening.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 9, 2011

your heart
Oct 24, 2010

beating right next to me
Maybe an odd request, but does anybody have any documentaries that are just purely positive, happy experiences?

I watched Dear Zachary recently, and while it was great...it sure was depressing. And after watching Requiem for a Dream and Million Dollar Baby, I would really love to watch something that is just happy, life affirming and generally just fun.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Non Serviam posted:

Still obsessed with North Korea situation so...
Inside Undercover in North Korea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_268_pBvPs

The ending, with the reactions of the patients after the surgery, is particularly frightening.

Have you seen Kim Jong Il's Comedy Club? It's my favourite film about North Korea.

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918
Edit: nevermind

o3o fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 9, 2011

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

No, they don't.
If there's actual evidence of child endangerment (physical abuse) or drug-related crimes then they should be brought to court; otherwise, they should just be left alone.

The Phelps represent one of the beautiful things about the US. The right of people to say absolutely batshit insane things without the threat of being "eradicated".

As one of the many people who will burn in hell, according to these idiots, I couldn't care less about what they have to say, and find it specially offensive in certain occasions, but they have the right to say it, without the threat of "private groups" doing vigilantism because they don't like their message (which, as another poster said, is limited to quoting some of the craziest bible passages, not making them up).

Fred Phelps was disbarred for basically being a hate filled pest using the courts to settle scores with anyone who look at him funny. Once he began getting in trouble with the kids' school and the police for his violence, he resorted to more subtle techniques such as exhaustion (work after school and marathons for his kids) and starvation.
http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/encyclopedia/Westboro_Baptist_Church_%28Topeka%29/
Here's a book written by two of his sons who escaped. It's fascinating.
http://www.blank.org/addict/ or http://www.robertslevinson.com/gaylesissues/features/collect/phelps/bl_phelpsmain.htm
It's also an amazing story of how two brothers became friends again despite having been set on eachother like animals in their need to survive.

Quick timeline of Fred Phelps:
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/2001/spring/a-city-held-hostage/fred-phelps-timel

PS: Hell for humans is not biblical. Anyone who tells you that you'll burn in hell is making it up - taking from passages from Revelations about what will happen to the beast.
Revelations is 99% metaphor anyway so if any "christians" you know quote from it like it's real then you can be pretty sure they are somewhat wacko.

n3wt fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 9, 2011

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Omgkittens posted:

Maybe an odd request, but does anybody have any documentaries that are just purely positive, happy experiences?

I watched Dear Zachary recently, and while it was great...it sure was depressing. And after watching Requiem for a Dream and Million Dollar Baby, I would really love to watch something that is just happy, life affirming and generally just fun.

Some random happy/fun documentaries I've enjoyed:
The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
The Parking Lot Movie
Monster Camp
King of Kong
Helvetica
Super High Me
Man On Wire
Encounters At The End Of The World

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Non Serviam posted:

The right of people to say absolutely batshit insane things without the threat of being "eradicated".

Yeah, I agree with you there. But it pains me that their patriarch was never really brought to justice.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Dangerous Knowledge. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8492625684649921614

Couldn't find it posted in the thread, but it's brilliant in my not-a-mathematician opinion. It's about 4 mathematicians who basically went insane figuring out infinities. BBC4, so a proper, old-school doc without crazy amounts of gimmickry. It's pretty mind-blowing and I recommend it.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This movie looks pretty awesome. I can't wait until it gets wider distribution.
http://thehouseofsuh.com/

wikipedophile
Oct 22, 2004
Buff DK plz kthxbye
Thanks for everyone contributing, this has been a most informative thread!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pipski posted:

Dangerous Knowledge. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8492625684649921614

Couldn't find it posted in the thread, but it's brilliant in my not-a-mathematician opinion. It's about 4 mathematicians who basically went insane figuring out infinities. BBC4, so a proper, old-school doc without crazy amounts of gimmickry. It's pretty mind-blowing and I recommend it.

Man this ruled.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
If you dig Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations his earlier series from Food Network, A Cook's Tour, which follows a similar format can be found on the YouTubes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wFhJP3kSA8&feature=related

Darley
May 17, 2006
Into eternity (Michael Madsen 2010).http://documentarystorm.com/indie-films/into-eternity/

A beautiful and haunting film about Onkalo, a nuclear waste repository, dug deep into Finnish bedrock. Madsens approach is philosophical: Onkalo should safely contain deadly nuclear waste for 100 000 years. How can we ensure that? Should we leave a warning for the future generations? Would they understand us?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I just saw this at the Dallas International Film Fest, and it doesn't look like it has been mentioned in the last few pages.

http://interrupters.kartemquin.com/

The Interrupters is the latest documentary by Steve James (Hoop Dreams), and follows a year of the work of Cease Fire, a non-profit group in Chicago working to stem an epidemic of inner city violence. The documentary focuses on the reformed violent criminals that serve as outreach workers in the community, spotting potential violent offenders and trying to talk them down before they decide to commit an act of violence.

trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXmm0MZLGxY&feature=player_embedded

It's long- clocking in at just about 2.5 hours at the viewing I saw- but it's powerful, insightful, and deeply moving. I had a chance to sit in on a Q&A with James after seeing it too, and he's a very down to earth guy.

You'll probably have to search this out.

LawrenceOfHerLabia
Feb 4, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I searched the thread (possibly not very well) and didn't see this, so I'll post it. This BBC documentary series is called Human Planet, and explains how Homo Sapiens has adapted itself to different habitats.

No David Attenborough unfortunately, but John Hurt's a nice bloke. I think all the episodes are correctly linked from the website. Living 100ft up a tree was a memorable scene.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Human Planet was absolutely amazing. Fascinating on so many levels and with the awesome narration of Hurt, you can't go wrong. Highly recommend this to anyone.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
can anyone help me ID a documentary?

I *think* it was a BBC one, a couple years ago during the height of the financial crisis. It was a good introduction to how banking works, and there was a section on how lending is essentially creating money since a bank with £1000 can essentially lend it multiple times to different people. I wasn't Channel 4s "the ascent of money", but I think it was stylistically similar

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Pipski posted:

The man who made that documentary, David Malone, has his blog here

http://golemxiv-credo.blogspot.com/

It's mainly about banking and finance, current affairs etc. As you'd expect he has a very good way of conveying complex information about finance so you can get a good grasp on it. Highly recommended. Plus he wades into the comments which is always good for a blog

He also made this very good documentary if you like Dangerous Knowledge
Icon Earth
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5267904877110447555

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn

Fatkraken posted:

I *think* it was a BBC one, a couple years ago during the height of the financial crisis. It was a good introduction to how banking works, and there was a section on how lending is essentially creating money since a bank with £1000 can essentially lend it multiple times to different people. I wasn't Channel 4s "the ascent of money", but I think it was stylistically similar

I can help a little; that method is called Fractional Reserve Banking. I don't see anything on BBC iPlayer and there are currently no search results for "bank" on 4OD.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Fatkraken posted:

was it this?

Britain's Trillion Pound Horror Story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gd6-zfeeaM

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Went on a bit of a music doc binge the last few days. They've probably already been mentioned, but I put my full support behind loudQUIETloud a doc about The Pixies and Under Great White Northern Lights about The White Stripes. Both are really well made, so even if you don't have a prior interest in the bands they're worth checking out. And loudquietloud is available in its entirety on hulu!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baboon Nigga
Jan 3, 2011

The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer

Though this is only Amazon reviewers speaking, some of the more famous hits claimed by Kuklinkski may indeed have been committed by person(s) other than him.