Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

bhsman posted:

Bav I'm really glad to see you continue to make use of this account ever since I (indirectly) convinced to join last year. :unsmith:

Oh man, I trawl SA all the time. Thanks for dragging me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Bavius posted:

I've almost finished a thing.

I've told myself to just finish the arm, glue it together and call it a day, but it so rainy out I'm hesitant to prime the arm bit I constructed.

I think I like how the white came out. Also did my first ever jewels. They look okay... anything you think I could improve for the next one?

I'm not a fan of that helmet, but you really made it work here. Nice job!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hell Diver posted:

I had to crank out a quick picture for my oath, but the Ogryn are done. So, rest easy Fix, they found a good home.

Bonus picture of whole group so far.

I know I'm a page late but drat them Ogryn look good. Surprised you didn't make the guy with the beret the commander, since that's the bossest head in that set.

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006
Been lurking a while and I've seen the great work being put out by some of you so I'd like to put my models out there for your consideration. This is only my most recent stuff, some might remember my older stuff from Eternity of War (is that even still going?)

Comments and crits appreciated.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Really nice stuff over the last page and a half dudes!

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

So, see these old-school models?

I got these last week, and yesterday I finished scrubbing the paint off of them. The metal assault-marine dude is gonna have a GK halberd (for Vanguard Vets), the Commissar with glasses is quite possibly the best commissar model ever, and the plastic devastator is... well, I kind of mutilated it in TBP fashion trying to separate the parts from the whole, but I managed to save the rocket launcher arm and the beakie head. The legs are disturbingly thin and spindly, and the torso is all kinds of hosed up, but at the very least I've got a kickass RT rocket launcher for my modern marines. The rest is recoverable, but this is possibly the worst Marine model I've ever seen.

The Blue Pyramid fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 10, 2011

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Chenghiz posted:

I'm not a fan of that helmet, but you really made it work here. Nice job!

Thanks! I wasn't sure it would look decent, but decided to try painting it anyway.

TBP, that commisar will be awesome.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

The Blue Pyramid posted:

this is possibly the worst Marine model I've ever seen.

first marine model

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What's with all the badass new painters lately? Pretty sweet stuff.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Fyrbrand posted:

What's with all the badass new painters lately? Pretty sweet stuff.

Did I miss anything when I skimmed over everything since your orks? :orks::respek::v:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PaintVagrant posted:

first plastic marine model
:viggo:

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

PaintVagrant posted:

first marine model

I normally like the old metals and some of the old plastics, but this dude's proportions are horrible. At least the missile launcher is cool

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

PaintVagrant posted:

Really nice stuff over the last page and a half dudes!

*checks the last page for my models*

:mad:

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Here is my first daemonhammer terminator. Its boltgun metal with with a wash of devlan mud. This edging is done in mithril silver. Metallics + lovely cellphone makes it difficult. Im not sold on my basing yet. Overall, its leaps and bounds better then my first vanilla space marines and tyrnids but any advice would be appreciated.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
You know, if I did Grey Knights, I'd get myself a couple of flexible ammo belts. The pic they use for it is pretty horrible, but there are 5 styles of ammo belt there that are supposed to be a fit for bolters. They have larger ones for heavy bolters as well. They're a semi-flexible resin cast around a wire, so you can gently bend them to the shape you need them. A bit expensive at 6 quid for 5, each is 50mm long so one pack should see you a through a squad. If anyone gets them be sure to measure the feed aperture on the storm bolter to make sure you get a good fit.

e: wait, maybe scratch that. Dakka has a review up saying the quality ain't that good.

quote:

NOTE: Those hoping to use these to replace the new clips on the plastic grey knights should know that they are all slightly bigger than the ammo feeds on the metal miniatures. I do no know how they will fit with the new plastics as I have not been able to get my hands on them. However, you should note that the belt on the metal minis closely resembles the Y segment belt in the "Large ammo belt" set, that belt is nearly twice as large as the metal mini's belt though.

ee: here's the seller's thread on Dakka with more pics and size discussion.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 11, 2011

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That reminds me, I'm still looking for just one Grey Knight arm with a stormbolter.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

That reminds me, I'm still looking for just one Grey Knight arm with a stormbolter.

Terminator? afaik all the old metal pagk's had the storm bolter arm as part of the body and just the nemesis arm separate.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Bhyo posted:

Terminator? afaik all the old metal pagk's had the storm bolter arm as part of the body and just the nemesis arm separate.

Power armored. Surprised nobody's piped up since I figure there'd be spares from psycannons and such.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

Power armored. Surprised nobody's piped up since I figure there'd be spares from psycannons and such.

The power armour psycannons are all two handed and dont have storm bolters. Theres bound to be spare plastic ones though.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
drat, I get tied up for work for a couple of months and you guys pump a ton of stuff out.

Finally got done with the first space dude I've ever bought:

Lengthened and reposed the legs then freehanded the banner. My thumb hurts.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That looks pretty dope, dude.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fix posted:

That looks pretty dope, dude.

Agreed. Now base him!

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
Finally made a lightbox. Still not great, but better.
Oath crosspost:

Also great work Angryboot!

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Angryboot posted:

drat, I get tied up for work for a couple of months and you guys pump a ton of stuff out.

That space marine comander kit is so dope. I think yours turned out awesome!

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thank ya thank ya; I'll base it when I get around to build a table and decide what terrain color I'm gonna go with.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Angryboot posted:

I love what you've done with the pose, Space Marine Commander just straight up doesn't give a gently caress.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Do anyone here have the link to that plastic mold that you could re-use by putting it on hot water? I remember seeing it somewhere on SA, but I can't find it in any of the 'ham OPs.

The product was a rectangular cube that looked like clear plastic. When you put it in hot water it got soft, you put two cubes together around whatever you wanted to make (a sword or a detail) and let it harden, make the thing you want out of green stuff by putting it in the mold and then, after you were done you could re-use the mold by softening it again in hot water.

Also, is there a GF9 equivalent based i Europe? I need some green stuff and modelling tools.

crime fighting hog posted:

Right should have been more clear

Dark, bluish/purple basically.

I'll give it a shot, Sushi. I've been taking breaks from my Cryx to do models for a D&D group that plays at my store, and its been a lot of fun so far.

I tried this for my wood elves. White undercoat, (badab black on some of them at least, but I can't remember which was better) and a mix of ogryn flesh and that purple wash.

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=XAS1fUiO8rBA4lPm5VI37oh4l5k2TGxc

I tried highlighting some and re-applying the 50/50 wash, but I can't remember what came out best.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 11, 2011

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
more work on the kan... decided to build a grot zooka first but!! not having access to magnets and wanting to be cheap and save money I built a kind of.. dual slot system to keep the gun in place and let me swap it out for other guns i'll be building :)

Didn't turn out to bad I think

red is where the pin goes and purple is kind of a tbar slot system

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Your kan looks awesome. For more inspiration here's a kitbashed killa kan (is there another kind?) I made using dread legs from AOBR, some battlewagon and trukk bits, and a small pressure vessel from a Pegasus Hobbies Chemical Plant Set.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Glad to see that the wrecker kan has become a TG staple. I'm so proud. :allears:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Miles O'Brian posted:

Glad to see that the wrecker kan has become a TG staple. I'm so proud. :allears:

:hellyeah:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Miles O'Brian posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For more inspiration here's a kitbashed killa kan (is there another kind?)

My nine are:
One new plastic box of kanz
6 pieces of PVC pipe
arms/guns from some mec assault style game
and plasticard/rivets/random bitz for engines

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 11, 2011

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have a shitload of weird arms and weapon systems from the big mechs in that clix game. They look like they'll work super well for kit bashed kanz. Basically building ork poo poo owns.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
What diameter of PVC pipe do you use? I've never actually seen a Kan but I was thinking about adding some homemade poo poo to my AoBR orks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JesustheDarkLord posted:

What diameter of PVC pipe do you use? I've never actually seen a Kan but I was thinking about adding some homemade poo poo to my AoBR orks.

Kan bodies are about an inch in diameter or so. You don't have to be terribly precise; just look at pictures of kanz adjacent to regular models and use that as a guide.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I bought a bunch of questionably assembled warmachine figures from a guy for cheap. They are all pewter/white metal assembled with cyanoacrylate. Is there a good way to disassemble them and clean the old glue off so I can clean up their mold lines and then reassemble?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I'm stealing your idea.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
^^^^ Imitation is the finest form of flattery. So thanks!
and when you make yours look 50x better than mine I will want to :suicide:

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I actually got them from a lot I bought (they were severely under converted) but they are wide enough that they are capped with 25mm bases (~1") and the segments were around 1.5" tall.

If you got the gubbins and the patience to make hundreds of rivets go for it!

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 11, 2011

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GEMorris posted:

I bought a bunch of questionably assembled warmachine figures from a guy for cheap. They are all pewter/white metal assembled with cyanoacrylate. Is there a good way to disassemble them and clean the old glue off so I can clean up their mold lines and then reassemble?

I had to look up what "cyanoacrylate" was because it sounded Very Serious but it turns out that it's just regular old super glue! Use acetone or acetone-based nail polish remover. It turns the glue all rubbery and weak so you can just peel/scrape it off. Be careful with the fumes, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My experience is that a few days soaking in Simple Green will also loosen up superglue, although you might need to take a hobby knife or pin to it to get it off. Worth trying if you don't have an appropriate solvent around.

• Locked thread