Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
http://www.mondesishouse.com/2010/03/10-questions-withjohn-steigerwald.html

quote:

MH: I get the sense that you think America has gotten a little "soft". What happened to our country?

JS: America is becoming more feminized all the time. Women getting involved (overly involved) in their kids' teams, Very few male elementary school teachers. You hear stories about tag being forbidden on school playgrounds. Effeminate men are celebrated (ever seen Adam Lambert and the fuss that was made over him?). I have a chapter in my book explaining why I would rather have the Three Stooges babysit my kids than Mr. Rogers because Mr. Rogers --who was a better person than I could ever hope to be and did a lot of great things--was a sissy. You're no longer allowed to discourage boys from being "sissies" because that would make you "homophobic". The country will get softer and softer the more we depend on the nanny state to take care of us.There are people in power now who want to take care of us from cradle to grave and they can't find their way to the supermarket. I'm a big self reliance guy and there's less and less of that going around every day.

what a prick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
It's like Reading Roulette except there's a bullet in every chamber.

quote:

A Sad Day At PNC Park

I was at PNC Park today. Not for the game. I had to do some remote radio work from Atria’s restaurant for TribLive radio.

It was the first time I had been that close to a Pirates game in several years and it made me sad.

It was the kind of day that I used to hope we would get for an opener and all the sights and sounds reminded me of why baseball used to be my favorite sport.

There wasn’t a day in sports that I looked forward to more than the Pirates home opener. I skipped school and went to my first one in 1960.

Everything looked the same but I knew that it was all superficial and I wondered how many of the people I saw were kidding themselves.

I saw a lot of guys my age and I wondered if they were there out of habit or if they were there pretending that these were the Pirates that they grew up with.

The longer I was there the more annoyed I became.

I left at noon and went home.

If you had told me 20 years ago that I would walk away from a home opener on a 60 degree, cloudless less day, I would have told called you crazy.

The next Home Opner I go to will the one that is played in the first season of the MLB salary cap.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Badfinger posted:

It's like Reading Roulette except there's a bullet in every chamber.

let's go bucs

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Holy poo poo this guy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

God drat it, how does this dickhead exist outside of a Halo server.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Ben Rothlesburger: Might be a tad out of line with entitlement while raping women.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

toadee posted:

Ben Rothlesburger: Might be a tad out of line with entitlement while raping women.

At least we know he's not a sissy, like that disgusting Mr. Rogers.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
If the current thread name change wasn't so perfect the Mr. Rogers reference would HAVE to go here.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Note: Santonio Holmes is a punk who will end up in a bad way.

WOULD BEN BASHERS RE- ELECT CLINTON?

Just as I was thinking about putting the blog and myself to bed on a Saturday night, a question popped into my head.

How many of the people who are taking every possible opportunity to bash Ben Roethlisberger and say that he should either be suspended or run out of town, were Bill Clinton voters?

Especially the women.

(Clinton was elected because of the support he got from female voters.)

There have been a lot of women showing up on this blog showing no mercy for Roethlisberger.

I’ve agreed with most if not all of them.

I wonder how many of them were among the “it’s only about sex” crowd who felt sorry for Clinton and thought he was being unfairly persecuted (and prosecuted) for having consensual sex outside of his marriage, which, we were constantly reminded, was nobody’s business.

Remember Juanita Broderick?

She went on NBC and, with tears streaming down her face, said that Bill Clinton raped her.

Clinton’s supporters dismissed her. Called her a liar who was just trying to ruin him politically. Said she was a Repuiblican operative.

How about Kathleen Willey? Remember her?

She claimed Bill groped her when she came to him asking for help after the death of her husband.

Clinton’s supporters called her a liar.

How about Paula Jones? She said Bill exposed himself to her.

(You know, maybe Ben should give Bubba a call and find out what a guy should do when women refuse to stop telling lies about you.)

Then there was Monica Lewinsky. I’ll bet that name rings a bell.

She was a 21 year-old college kid when the President of the United States of America took advantage of her immaturity and the influence of his position of authority to convince her to perform oral sex on him, under his Oval Office desk, while he was on the phone with the chairman of the Armed Forces Committee.

But, if you were like me, and said that, oral sex aside, his actions spoke volumes about what a phony, immature, out of control creep he was, you were told that you needed to grow up–that it was just sex. It was his personal life and none of your business.

How is that argument any different from the ones being made in defense of Ben Roethlisberger, who has not been formally charged with any crime?

I realize that Roethlisberger, as quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers ,is much more important to citizens of the Steeler Nation than the President of the United States, but do you see where I’m coming from here?

Bill Clinton is ancient history, I know, but he’s still a huge star in the Democrat party and his wife could be running for president again in 2016 if not sooner.

I’ve felt from the beginning of Ben’s Georgia Nightmare that, whatever the government investigators found out, the undisputed facts of the case had already convicted him of being a jackass and a bad citizen.

And I’ve always felt the same about Bill Clinton. It was never about the sex for me. It was about how stupid and reckless he was and how it exposed (pardon the pun) him as one of the worst phonies in the history of the human race. (Believe me. I always kept in mind who he had to go home to every night.)

And I’ve always made the argument that the people who continued to support him would have demanded that their kid’s high school principal be fired immediately if he had done with a student teacher what Clinton did with Lewinsky.

Ben won two Super Bowls.

Bubba balanced the budget.

So, here I am many years later asking: If you didn’t think Bill Clinton should have resigned (as hundreds of newspapers, including the Post-Gazette did) or been impeached, can you justify calling for Roethlisberger to be run out of town or even suspended?

Just asking.

Fire away.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

NAILED BY THE DONUT POLICE

I’m coming to you almost live this weekend from our cottage in Canada and this morning I got a good dose of the Canadian Nanny state. (They really should just change the name to Nanada.)
One of our family traditions when we come up here has been to go into town to Tim Horton’s for donuts the first morning.
My favorite was the chocolate angel. It’s creme-filled with chocolate icing. I was thinking about it on the drive into town. When I stepped up to the counter, I saw that there were no chocolate angels on the shelf and there wasn’t a sign showing that they were temporarily out.
So, I asked the woman if I could have two chocolate angels and she said, “Oh, we don’t make them anymore.” I knew they were one of the most popular items in the store and when I asked why they were no longer available, she said, “Too many trasnsfats. We can’t sell them anymore.” I said, “Why, because the government said so?’
She said, yes and said something about the Minister of Health. Or maybe it was the Minister of Pastry.
I said OK and made another choice and then made a snide remark to my wife about the Nanny State.
And that brings me to my favorite part of the story.
My daughter was still in line when the woman, who had been in line behind me, said to the clerk, “I’m glad that they’re doing something about this. I’m diabetic and there are a lot of diabetics who shouldn’t be eating that stuff. I shouldn’t even be eating this muffin.”
Unbelievable.
This idiotic woman knows that she’s diabetic and that she should be careful about her diet, but she still wants the government to protect her from herself. She wants someone to stop her from buying the muffin that she just bought.
She also wants the government to stop ME from eating a chocolate angel donut.
How the hell did the human race become this stupid?

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

MY loving DONUTS

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Oh God no NOT WOMEN!!! NOT WOMEN!!! :supaburn:

I am more self reliant than this fucker by far I would bet.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Bryan Stow Snow: Asking for it.
Big Ben: Victim of the liberal media.
Canada: Nanny State.
Mr. Rogers: Fag.

:allears:

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
The government of Nanada would respond to this if they weren't busy drinking tea while extending their pinkies in the air and sucking on each other's cocks

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

stuart scott irl posted:

seriously

Is it just me or does he look like a Will Farrell parody of himself?

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
John Steigerwald. That's the answer. We did it guys, we found him. It's generally guileless to draw analogies from politics to sports but he does it in such a contemptible and sophomoric way that the only thing I can say is that he is truly The Worst Sports Journalist and I can't see anyone taking that mantle from him.

drat, it's like he's trolling. Here's a column entitled "Dead Babies $30" (no colon)

quote:

DEAD BABIES $30

I’m ambivalent on the death penalty, mainly because it lets killers off too easy.

I think living in a 7 x 9 cell for 60 or 70 years is a fate worse than death.

But every once in a while a case comes along that makes me glad that we have that option.

The perp in question is 69 years old and, if he’s convicted, should get the needle. (Too bad there’s no more electric chair.)

His name is Doctor Kermit Gosnell. He “practiced” in West Philadelphia and specialized in abortions.

Mostly for low-income black women.

He’s accused of inducing labor and forcing the live birth of viable babies in their sixth, seventh and eighth month of pregnancy and then killing the babies by cutting their spinal chords with scissors.

He made almost $2 million in one year.

One witness told the grand jury that, after a 17-year-old girl gave birth to a six-pound, nine-ounce, 19-inch baby, Gosnell ”slit the neck” and then put the dead baby in a shoe box and then Gosnell said that the baby, “wasn’t really moving. It’s the baby’s reflexes.”

You don’t suppose this disregard for human life has anything to do with the fact that 70% of black women give birth out of wedlock, do you?

According to today’s Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Steven Massof, a 48-year-old man from Mt. Lebanon, admitted to a grand jury that he worked for Gosnell and assisted in the “abortions.”

He made $300 a week and $30 for each second- or third-trimester abortion patient.

Masloff should be charged with first-degree murder, too.

State regulators (probably some of the same geniuses who will oversee your healthcare some day) ignored complaints about Gosnell’s practice.

I have a question, though.

If it’s OK to kill a baby when it’s still inside the mother, why is it murder to kill the same living being when it’s lying on a hospital operating table five minutes later?

It’s the mother’s “choice” that the baby should die, right?

Could it have something to do with the fact that, when the scissors are used to pierce the skull of a “fetus” inside the womb, nobody sees it?

If I’m not mistaken, our president voted against a law in Illinois that makes it mandatory for doctors to give medical attention to babies that survive abortions.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

swizz posted:

John Steigerwald. That's the answer. We did it guys, we found him. It's generally guileless to draw analogies from politics to sports but he does it in such a contemptible and sophomoric way that the only thing I can say is that he is truly The Worst Sports Journalist and I can't see anyone taking that mantle from him.

drat, it's like he's trolling. Here's a column entitled "Dead Babies $30" (no colon)

:stare:
I rescind my comment from the previous page.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

quote:

You don’t suppose this disregard for human life has anything to do with the fact that 70% of black women give birth out of wedlock, do you?

:allears:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Please take just a little bit off those punches, John.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

how long am I allowed to keep posting these because lol

SILENT CAL, A NATION TURNS ITS LONELY EYES TO YOU

I don’t remember ever learning anything about Calvin Coolidge when I was in school, other than the fact that he was called Silent Cal, because he never said much.
Recently, I’ve come across some of his famous quotes and I now plan to find a good Calvin Coolidge biography to read.
One of my favorites is: “Any man who does not like dogs and does not want them about, does not deserve to live in the White House.”
I’m a big time dog lover and couldn’t agree more with that. I think you could do a good job of weeding out the bad presidents by finding the ones who didn’t get dogs until they were in the White House and realized it was the smart thing to do politically.
Here are some more quotes from Calvin Coolidge that make me think that we need a guy who thinks like him in the White House today.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Forever. I'm considering rededicating the entire forum to his blog.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

stuart scott irl posted:

I don’t remember ever learning anything about Calvin Coolidge when I was in school, other than the fact that he was called Silent Cal, because he never said much.
Recently, I’ve come across some of his famous quotes and I now plan to find a good Calvin Coolidge biography to read.
One of my favorites is: “Any man who does not like dogs and does not want them about, does not deserve to live in the White House.”
I’m a big time dog lover and couldn’t agree more with that. I think you could do a good job of weeding out the bad presidents by finding the ones who didn’t get dogs until they were in the White House and realized it was the smart thing to do politically.
Here are some more quotes from Calvin Coolidge that make me think that we need a guy who thinks like him in the White House today.

In this time of economic strife and uncertainty, what we need is the man who was president for the 8 years immediately preceeding the start of the great depression. Also must love dogs.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Steiggy is also in the running for worst announcer in the NHL, by the way. He is just unbelievably awful on-air. You all are aware that he's the play-by-play guy for the Pens, right? Oops, didn't look at the picture and got the wrong Steiggerwald. :ughh:

quote:

Remember when the Pirates took two of three at Wrigley Field?

People who witnessed it will be telling their grandchildren about it 50 years from now.

The Pirates destroyed the mighty Cubs and roared out of Chicago and headed home to Pittsburgh after taking two of three from the mighty Cardinals in St. Louis.

Where they lost three out of four to the Rockies.

That mans the Pirates have lost four out of six.

I guess this post is just a counterpoint to the post where he was excited about the Bucs winning three of the first four, right?

But seriously, anyone in Pittsburgh who gives poo poo to Mr Rodgers should be run out on a loving rail. That's beyond the pale, goddamn.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 12, 2011

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

MorningView posted:

Forever. I'm considering rededicating the entire forum to his blog.

Be sure to highlight his versatility

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDWAOkTK5l4

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
/\/\/\/\/\/\ amazing

Mornacale posted:

Steiggy is also in the running for worst announcer in the NHL, by the way. He is just unbelievably awful on-air. You all are aware that he's the play-by-play guy for the Pens, right?

What the gently caress, I thought this was just some crazy guy with a blog who got an article published in some lovely paper by happenstance. I cannot believe he is in any way the public face of a franchise. Are the Pens owned by Lyndon LaRouche?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tavarin posted:

haha, his "WOOOOOOAH YOU CAUGHT ME AREN'T I JUST WACKY!!!!" look after he took his finger out from under the basketball and it kept spinning owns.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
There is a book.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the Steigerwald who does Penguins games isn't John, thankfully. his name is Paul! I was trying to find out if they're brothers and I do believe I've found my answer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2om0LsSDk8

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Continuing the theme of sportswriters with bad political opinions, LZ Granderson wants to bring back poll tests:

quote:

Weed out some of the ignorant by making people who want to vote first pass a test modeled on the one given to those who want to become citizens.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Hey, here's the most-hated man in the Pirates blogosphere pimping Steigerwald's blog: http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/archive/2010/03/11/check-out-the-john-steigerwald-blog.aspx

You could probably find a ton of Smizik material for this thread. Not many sportswriters openly hate one of the teams they cover.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

stuart scott irl posted:

Holy poo poo.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Tavarin posted:

There is so much prime av material there I can't even begin

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
This makes me so thankful for Bob Uecker. The only things he really has strong opinions about are how much bourbon he is allowed to drink (correct answer: all the bourbon) and whether that one crazy lady is allowed to keep stalking him.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Currently withdrawing my life savings and buying you all John Stiegerwald 'tars

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Badfinger posted:

There is a book.

Hahahah, oh my godddddddddddddddddd.

Waitaminute, this guy used to be the sports anchor on KDKA, right? I knew I recognized that smug face from when I lived in Pittsburgh for a couple years as a kid.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

stuart scott irl posted:

Currently withdrawing my life savings and buying you all John Stiegerwald 'tars

Me first, I want to stop looking at loving Ronny Cedeno forever.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My God, for a second I thought you guys were just posting some random crazy dude who just found the internet and blogging, but he's an actual "journalist" :stare:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

seiferguy posted:

My God, for a second I thought you guys were just posting some random crazy dude who just found the internet and blogging, but he's an actual "journalist" :stare:

WE DON'T LIKE NO LIEBRAL MEDIA SISSIES IN STILLERS COUNTRY JUST REAL MEN LIKE STEIGERWALD

e: YINZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Can we buy that smilie so that every time we post a stupid article bashing SABR stats for some retarded reason followed by a mother's basement statement we can just follow it with that. It encapsulates everything I've ever felt and more.

Edit: Man this guy is the gift that keeps on giving. I could read his stuff forever.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 12, 2011