Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MuonManLaserJab posted:

Getting older definitely causes brain damage, yet is reputed to be safe.

Getting older isn't safe; it's just safer than the alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

colonel_korn posted:

Not to interrupt :science:-chat but here's a cool submission from the Pan-Ams:

http://www.bjjfights.com/bruno-malfacine-vs-wellington-megaton-dias-2011-pan-ams/

Bruno showed that at Cobrinha's grand opening. All I managed to do was hit people in the face over and over again.

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- JIU-JITSU (18 Submissions)
- QUANTUM PHYSICS

fatherdog posted:

Getting older isn't safe; it's just safer than the alternative.

Engineered negligible senescence?

But yeah, "acceptably safe" and "completely harmless" are different things, is what I meant.

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- JIU-JITSU (18 Submissions)
- QUANTUM PHYSICS

colonel_korn posted:

Not to interrupt :science:-chat but here's a cool submission from the Pan-Ams:

http://www.bjjfights.com/bruno-malfacine-vs-wellington-megaton-dias-2011-pan-ams/

Awesome. I assume Malfacine was the winner since he's listed first? I was hoping against hope that 'Megaton' would pull out a flying hammerlock that would require the sobriquet 'Megaton hammerlock'.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Attention SoCal goons -

quote:

UFC veteran Mark Schultz is holding a wrestling clinic focusing on takedowns for both wrestling and mixed martial arts.

The clinic will be held Wednesday, April 20, from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the wrestling room at Santa Ana High School in Santa Ana, Calif.

The clinic is completely free of charge. You don’t need to be a member of any wrestling or mixed martial arts organization. There are no requirements other than to show up.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRAMnY95Sx8&feature=player_detailpage#t=23s

If you really hate me and wanna see me lurch around like a retard then get choked in my first every grappling match then peep this vid.

Bonus points for my amazing side control defense of grabbing his legs and praying.

(music added by a friend)

Also can anyone tell what he got me with? You cant really tell in the video but it was some weird gi choke

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Chexoid posted:

If you really hate me and wanna see me lurch around like a retard then get choked in my first every grappling match then peep this vid.

Bonus points for my amazing side control defense of grabbing his legs and praying.

Also can anyone tell what he got me with? You cant really tell in the video but it was some weird gi choke

Get a haircut, hippie

(It was a bow-and-arrow choke, ask your coach about it)

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Did you learn alot?

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Chexoid posted:

Like every white belt ever you need to work on your posture and negating your opponents grips. Cheers, I lost my first grappling match by a double digit point deficit, just come back smarter, and stronger. You've found something you're weak at, make it better.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Chexoid posted:

Wasn't able to hit it up this weekend because I got stuck at work :(

Glad you got to go, I heard my gym did pretty well :) Lins MA

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Hey the guy who kicked my rear end is from Lin! if you ever meet Mohamed Somji tell him his side mount is a son of a bitch.

But yea, the main thing I learned is that real competition is at least twice as fast as normal sparring, even at 100%. I had no time to think at all, every time i thought of something to do I had to defend something else.

Also re-watching it I cant believe how bad my posture was. Ack. Gotta work on that. (and my posture in general, Jesus H.)

Hopefully ill do alot better next time, without first fight jitters.

(on the other hand, the awesome little jig/skip thing i do at the start of the match rules, and i will make no apologies for it)

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 3, 2011

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

fatherdog posted:

Attention SoCal goons -

daaaayuumn. Wish I could do a takedown clinic with one of the Shultz bros. Those two were mean as gently caress. Think it was Mark who broke some dude's arm in the olympics with a kimura while defending a single leg takedown.

Either way, everyone in SoCal should go to this.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYKMJjzkQ14

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

imtheism posted:

Think it was Mark who broke some dude's arm in the olympics with a kimura while defending a single leg takedown.
Here's one video of it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Senor P. posted:

Here's one video of it.

The Diaz brothers watched this clip at some point very early in their lives.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
My Padilla & Sons gi just arrived last night, I tried it on and I felt like I was swimming in it. I understand that these things shrink but how should the initial fit feel?

For reference the sleeves with my arms fully extended go up to my knuckles and in the chest/shoulder area, its VERY roomy.

Should I ask for a size smaller?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fawker posted:

My Padilla & Sons gi just arrived last night, I tried it on and I felt like I was swimming in it. I understand that these things shrink but how should the initial fit feel?

For reference the sleeves with my arms fully extended go up to my knuckles and in the chest/shoulder area, its VERY roomy.

Should I ask for a size smaller?

My Padilla hung between my wrist and knuckle, I washed/dried it on hot and now it comes to just above my wrist. The chest was a little big and shrunk down to about right. I'm 6ft 1 about 160 and it's an A2 gold weave.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I sat down and tried to evaluate my guard game yesterday and realized that I only go for the De La Riva all the time without really thinking about it. What are some good sweeps from it? All I do is try to trip the non-hooked leg or take the back.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

nemoulette posted:

I sat down and tried to evaluate my guard game yesterday and realized that I only go for the De La Riva all the time without really thinking about it. What are some good sweeps from it? All I do is try to trip the non-hooked leg or take the back.

http://www.grapplearts.com/De-la-Riva-Guard.html

^Is a good start from the man himself. Sleeve control is really important to sweeping forward. Notice also that you need to be able to flow into a modified half guard or Reverse De La Riva depending on your opponents actions. Rolling inverted for the 50/50 is an option too if that's your thing.

One of my friends just had a seminar with De La Riva in London and I'm looking forward to picking his brain next time he's in the States.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Whats the word on de la riva and the potential for knee injuries? I've always been a little hesitant about using it because it seems like a great way to hurt myself.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Xguard86 posted:

Whats the word on de la riva and the potential for knee injuries? I've always been a little hesitant about using it because it seems like a great way to hurt myself.

I hear its fine, but if knees are a worry just start by trying to go for the deep de la riva, which alleviates a bunch of the worries by making the other guys' knee be the one pressured. I'm just not big on it because my guard control isn't that good yet.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Hmm didn't think about that. I have long flexible legs so DLR should be good for me, and I was playing with it for awhile but I worry about exploiting my flexibility too much because I often hear about the ruined knees and backs people get from relying too much on twist and turning.

I used to always use the crazy rubber band guard, but I've made a conscious effort in the past 2 years to tone that down and work a more fundamental, simple defense/sweep/sub combo.

I've only been purple for less than a year, but I feel like I need to start building a personal game. I had some parts as a blue belt, but now I'm really trying to go back through everything and figure out where I want to focus for each position.

...poo poo's hard.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
De La Riva is by far my best guard position. I play almost exclusively with the deep hook, and I haven't had any problems with my knees. I've heard of guys dropping there weight onto the dlr hook and that causing problems, but it's never been an issue for me.

Also, I'm not especially flexible and that's not a problem for me at all with de la riva, your hip movement is much more important than your level of flexibility.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I've thought about it all day and it seems like the deep hook would keep your knee aligned with your hip, avoiding the torquing or chance for someone to come down on the knee at a bad angle. I am going to play with this tomorrow and see how it works for me.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
The no gi portion of Abu Dhabi World Pro was held over the last few days. Rafael Mendes finished first in his division(65 kg) and second in the open division, losing a referee's decision to Rodolfo Vieira. I can't wait to see Rafael's matches, that kid is insane.

Results.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 9, 2022

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
So I've been working on my d'arce choke and it's gi variation with the lapel for the last little while. I've become really sneaky at getting it from the turtle position using this entry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3I0Vq61wI4

...the mount position using this entry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwo_vSFSoH4

...and side control and knee on belly using a whole bunch of entries.

The one position I still have issues getting it in though is from the top half guard when the guy has the underhook. I know the key is to keep the head controlled and stuff into the chest but once I get that whizzer/overhook over the bottom guy's arm, he'll stiffen up or use his free hand to push against my body and prevent me from stuffing his head in. The upside is that this makes it really easy to pass the guard and get into a more advantageous position but I'd like to be able to get it semi locked in before I pass so I can finish the choke right away.

On a related note, I was searching YouTube and I saw what seems to be an armless d'arce. I was wondering if anyone been able to successfully implement this into their game, it seems like more of a neck crank than a choke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv7emivmP5I

JayBulworth fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 10, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

JayBulworth posted:

On a related note, I was searching YouTube and I saw what seems to be an armless d'arce. I was wondering if anyone been able to successfully implement this into their game, it seems like more of a neck crank than a choke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv7emivmP5I
Nope, not really a crank. It's a power guillotine variant. Look where his choking arm shoulder. If he were executing it on a turtle opponent, I'd just call it a power guillotine but his variant is using on an opponent on his side.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Was gonna buy a Brazillian Top Team patch from my BJJ club so I could get it signed by Big Nog when I get to meet him at the Toronto UFC fan expo.

When I showed up yesterday, I learn that we dont have them anymore because our gym is no longer affiliated with BTT Canada :(

Instead we're now affliated with Team Lloyd Irvin :D

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Any of you guys friends with Dustin Denes on Facebook? he posts these awesome videos of himself driving up a1a on his way to the academy. So funny and good motivation from a great champ. The baddest gringo around imho.

If you guys arent you definately need to add him!

jiu jitsu chop is coming, secret basement dojo session, tech straight outta rio de janiero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvVGJ2yGNkY&feature=BF&list=WL4B2015B4404A61D1&index=1

always be closing fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 11, 2011

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNRkvo0Lops

This was from a tournament just over a week ago. I'm in the white gi. I think this was my 8th time competing at blue belt? Lost count already, but my third win, and I got kimura'd in my second match. I can't catch a break at blue. However, I feel like I finally did not mentally break myself down or anything, so at least I'm getting better in that department!

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

hopper2k posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNRkvo0Lops

This was from a tournament just over a week ago. I'm in the white gi. I think this was my 8th time competing at blue belt? Lost count already, but my third win, and I got kimura'd in my second match. I can't catch a break at blue. However, I feel like I finally did not mentally break myself down or anything, so at least I'm getting better in that department!
Passes looked good. Sweeps were pretty good.

Only thing I really saw was that you hung out on the back too long when he started to beat it. As soon as he's out of RNC position you need to be scrambling to stay on top, so he doesn't spin and end up in your guard.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Guess its time to buy a jockstrap/cup. Got my balls mashed when someone passed my guard. Sucked so much. I hated wearing a cup when I played rugby... made all of my movements feel so uncomfortable. But I guess getting my balls ground into a paste would be more uncomfortable

Also, there was a new student today who was spazzing like crazy. Ive got all these scratches on my arms/neck from this guy from when he would try to escape from the bottom. I hope he never comes back.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

fawker posted:

Ive got all these scratches on my arms/neck from this guy

Sounds like an intense roll, it's understandable why your nads hurt.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

fawker posted:

Guess its time to buy a jockstrap/cup. Got my balls mashed when someone passed my guard. Sucked so much. I hated wearing a cup when I played rugby... made all of my movements feel so uncomfortable. But I guess getting my balls ground into a paste would be more uncomfortable

Also, there was a new student today who was spazzing like crazy. Ive got all these scratches on my arms/neck from this guy from when he would try to escape from the bottom. I hope he never comes back.

I bought a spider guard cup a while ago, it's not the greatest for absolute ball protection but it's by far the most comfortable of the ones I've tried (Nutty Buddy and Shock Doctor).

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Holland Oats posted:

I bought a spider guard cup a while ago, it's not the greatest for absolute ball protection but it's by far the most comfortable of the ones I've tried (Nutty Buddy and Shock Doctor).

I just have some normal cup from Academy, and I'd be interested in another option. I just do BJJ right now. I mainly have it so I can actually try to do stuff from half guard, and don't ever really take any shots to the pills.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Caio Terra speaks out against jits competitors that use roids to get an edge in tournaments. Any opinions or thoughts on this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H93vTXeYwG0&feature=youtu.be

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Comprido wrote a letter about it as well.

If anyone knows what the hell he's talking about as far as dragging a dead guy off the mat at the 2000 Mundials, that would be nice. Google is giving me nothing.

If BJJ/sub grappling became an Olympic sport or there was big money involved, steroid testing might actually be a thing, but as it is, nobody gives a poo poo about grappling and the IBJJF is too busy being afraid of leg reaps to do anything about it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Death Bucket posted:

Comprido wrote a letter about it as well.

If anyone knows what the hell he's talking about as far as dragging a dead guy off the mat at the 2000 Mundials, that would be nice. Google is giving me nothing.
From an old Comprido interview:

quote:

2000 ended up being your true consecration. What do you remember from that World Championship, set apart by your wins over Nino Schembri and Margarida?
There was an odd moment, sad, in fact, which was the death of that young fellow during the championship, Jean. I had fought several times, was in the warm-up area and the moment the guy fell down I thought, from afar, it was Erik Wanderley from Belo Horizonte, who I was friends with. I ran over there nervously, say it wasn’t him and helped carry the stretcher out of the Tijuca Tennis Club.

The people there tried an unsuccessful cardiac massage on him and the atmosphere was totally tense; I remember that we asked for the Sportv guy to turn off the camera but he didn’t, and we argued. So, the moment I stepped pack into the gymnasium, I heard those words: “Ring 1, Antonio Schembri and Rodrigo Medeiros!” I went in shaken, but it was a good strategy by the CBJJ, I don’t know if it was Siriema or Andre: put on a fight that will catch the attention of the crowd and erase that tragic image from everybody's head. And, even distracted, it was the best fight I fought in my whole life.
We fought and I realized something had changed with the cheering spectators, one time he was on my back - "OOH, he's gonna get it" -, shortly after I took him down and went after his arm, he reversed and went after mine, I got him back with a kimura… And it ended with a submission.

It is cool to fight against an idol, and it is thanks to Nino that the fight was, without a doubt, the best fight of my career. I think I was always a good fighter, but never a phenomenal one. I got results that count against phenomenal fighters, but I never was a Leozinho, a Nino, a Ricardinho Vieira. I had beautiful fights, but was never a phenomenon. So that year I ended up winning the quarter-final against Nino, who was a god, and in the final Margarida, who was also super-tough, even though I was already familiar with his style.

The guy who died was Jean Mesquita a BTT brown belt.

http://www.fcfighter.com/news0008.htm

quote:

Ricardo Libòrio (Brazilian Top Team) decided not to fight in the Worlds because of the death of his student, Jean Mesquita. One week later, Libòrio won the medium-heavy master category, defeating Flàvio Carneiro (21-0) and in the final Andrè King for a big point advantage

http://translate.google.com/transla...%26prmd%3Divnso

quote:

With the death of Ceará fighter jiu-jitsu Jean Mosque, on July 29 last, came to the fore another dangerous practice among supporters of the "cult of the body: the use of vitamins and steroids for animals, even more dangerous.

Mosque died at three minutes of fighting, during the 5th World Jiu-Jitsu, the Tijuca Tennis Club, (north of Rio de Janeiro). He had a cardiopulmonary arrest due to the use of vitamin complex Potenay, circulatory stimulant for veterinary use. Other substances, including anabolic steroids for sale in Brazil with animals banned by the Ministry of Health, are obtained illegally and ingested the same dose to the animals.

Translated obit:

http://translate.google.com/transla...%26prmd%3Divnso

quote:

RIO - The jiu-jitsu Jean Magellan Mesquita, 24, died Saturday afternoon during the World Championship of the sport, which was held in the Tijuca Tenis Clube, Tijuca in the northern zone of Rio Mosque had a cardiorespiratory arrest lightning while fighting Rogerio Nogueira.

The body of a young man, who was born in Ceara, should be taken today to Fortaleza, where they are buried in the Cemetery of Peace When the match was two minutes, Judge Andre Luiz Candido asked that the two fighters stand up because Minotaur applied a shaved, similar to a creeping coup, the opponent. When standing, Mosque fell asleep. Candide, as well as other witnesses, ensured that the fighter had not received any blow or hit harder.

Medical staff on duty, the River Rescue, went to the mat to meet Mosque, which was submitted to chest massage and mouth to mouth. Another measure taken by the doctors was intubate the fighter for the air come into your lungs. After ten minutes of tension in the gym, the couple came to regain consciousness, but started to faint. Then he was taken to the Andaraí Hospital, also in the west. The medical team boss Lucio Monte Alto, said Mosque died when he was treated at the hospital. High returned to the site of the championship and broke the news to other participants. The competition was halted for 30 minutes and then resumed.

FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP - Mosque came to Rio only to dispute the championship jiu-jitsu, the first of which participated. Brown belt, the young man belonged to the Brazilian Top Team and was a champion of sport in the heavyweight category in the North and Northeast.

About a thousand competitors from all over the world participated in the championship, which began Thursday and ended Saturday.

Although the practitioners of Jujitsu have a reputation for violence, for engaging in fights, there is no previous reported cases of death struggles of the sport, despite the direct physical contact. There traumatic blows, as in boxing.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Also if other sports can't stop steroids with all the money and attention thrown at the issue, there is no way that a marginal sport like BJJ can afford to do so except in the most rudimentary ways. Steroids are cycled on and off and one can use them for recovery purposes well in advance of a competition and cycle off if the only testing is pre or post match.