Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Muffinpox posted:

Didn't your MR2 try to crush you to death also? Your cars hate you.

The engine clip I bought had bees in the intake that stung up my face. I also dropped a rear cross-member on my head and went unconscious for a few hours, until my mom woke me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Itchy_Grundle posted:

It was the gearset, not the flywheel. He's OK barring some "grapefruit sized" knots on his right leg. Anyone have a line on a Fiat 131 transmission or an idea for an engine/tranny swap? It's a 1976 Fiat Mirafiori.

Please tell him "In Mother Russia, gears bang you."

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Paul Boz_ posted:

The engine clip I bought had bees in the intake that stung up my face. I also dropped a rear cross-member on my head and went unconscious for a few hours, until my mom woke me up.

I would have given up ages ago.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would have given up ages ago.

Some drop cross-members to remember; others drop cross-members to forget. :patriot:

RoboCriminal
Sep 21, 2007
Sup
This total outcome of this thread for me has been a strange desire to wrap every transmission attached to an engine producing more then 200hp in depleted loving uranium.

Glad you are mostly alright man.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

pending horrible mechanical failure.
x-post to "what on ur car"

Is that a loving wooden spacer?

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Transmission explosion

Holy gently caress. I'm pretty sure I'd have poo poo my pants.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

metaxus posted:

The same one that's in the LeMons wiki article?

Well holy crap, it is.

DJ Commie posted:

If its the Fiat twin-cam engine, a Spider trans will work.

Isn't that transmission shorter, requiring a fabricated driveshaft? I also heard that they're more prone to failure than the 131 transmission.

Here's some crappy cell phone video of the transmission after the rest of it was dropped from the car:
View My Video

Itchy_Grundle fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 12, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Godholio posted:

Is that a loving wooden spacer?

Like I said in the other thread, I really, really hope this was just a case of "hey lets do a mockup to see what it'd look like with 20mm spacers" before pulling the trigger on a set of $350 spacers. Otherwise, I'm rooting for the asteroid at this point :suicide:

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Shroomie posted:

How in the... :confused:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I bet that guy was pissed when the third head gasket was leaking too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Shroomie posted:

what in the gently caress?

valve and guide have a bad breakup? the kind where she throws all his poo poo out on the street followed by gasoline and a match?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Shroomie posted:

So THAT'S where one of those bullets from Lost went!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Shroomie posted:

Was this your piston from a few pages back...?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"I'm sure we can port it out a bit more, pass that die grinder over here"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Shroomie posted:

That's actually not a horrible mechanical failure at all, it looks perfectly clean and nice.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

God drat salt.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
335i we have in here. like 30k miles and religious oil changes with bmw 5w30 synthetic:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

jamal posted:

335i we have in here. like 30k miles and religious oil changes with bmw 5w30 synthetic:

Direct injection engine?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Maybe he's running lovely lovely gas. Like eating really nutritious food to be healthy and then huffing 3 cans of spraypaint out of a paper bag every day.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Splizwarf posted:

Maybe he's running lovely lovely gas. Like eating really nutritious food to be healthy and then huffing 3 cans of spraypaint out of a paper bag every day.

Direct injection models all have issues with valve stems getting gunked up from PCV gas. Older engine designs "washed" the stems with gas on each injection.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
The B7 RS 4 loses ~1 hp per 1000 miles traveled due to carbon buildup. My car has 38K miles, and has never been de-carboned. :(

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Direct injection models all have issues with valve stems getting gunked up from PCV gas. Older engine designs "washed" the stems with gas on each injection.

yep.

needs a cusco catch can bro

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I wonder what the internals of my decade old 120,000km Skyline look like

I certainly don't think I've lost 120hp, hell it only had 260 to start with

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

it's probably fine but if you really want to know do a leakdown and compression check.

this really only happens to DI cars. The pcv system burns oily blow-by mist and on a non-di engine the fuel is injected right before the intake valves which keeps them pretty clean. This doesn't happen on a di motor so all the crap starts to accumulate in the intake system. A water/meth kit or a catch can would keep things cleaner.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

jamal posted:

Isn't this why God gave us seafoam?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

jamal posted:

it's probably fine but if you really want to know do a leakdown and compression check.

this really only happens to DI cars. The pcv system burns oily blow-by mist and on a non-di engine the fuel is injected right before the intake valves which keeps them pretty clean. This doesn't happen on a di motor so all the crap starts to accumulate in the intake system. A water/meth kit or a catch can would keep things cleaner.

Yeah it's a DD version of the VQ.

Seems fine for now but I'm suspicious as to why Nissan ditched the DI system after only a few model years :tinfoil:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

oh you mean you have a g35

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Still a Skyline when its RHD and was originally sold in Japan :)

Anyway I don't think the Infiniti badged models got the DI engines.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
This was posted in the Stupid poo poo thread, but I thought it warranted a mention here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_Disaster

quote:

The blast leveled nearly 1,000 buildings on land. The Grandcamp explosion destroyed the Monsanto Chemical Company plant and resulted in ignition of refineries and chemical tanks on the waterfront. Falling bales of burning twine added to the damage while the Grandcamp's anchor was hurled across the city. Sightseeing airplanes flying nearby had their wings shorn off, [4] forcing them out of the sky. Ten miles away, people in Galveston were forced to their knees; windows were shattered in Houston, Texas, 40 miles (60 km) away. People felt the shock 100 miles away in Louisiana. The explosion blew almost 6,350 tons of the ship's steel into the air, some at supersonic speed.

:aaaaa:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Petekill posted:

This was posted in the Stupid poo poo thread, but I thought it warranted a mention here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_Disaster

:aaaaa:

Heh. :science: But yeah the people saying that anfo will detonate on its own, generally speaking no, its onyl shock sensitive, you need a small booster charge with a high brisance to set it off. But if you BOIL the poo poo then I can see it getting a bit :ese: about wanting to become nitrogen gas instead of a solid/liquid.

I wonder how many fish washed up on the beaches from the hydrostatic shock...

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
guess they should switch the emissions crap to direct injection too

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Wiglaf posted:

guess they should switch the emissions crap to direct injection too

:psyduck:

What does this even mean?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

:psyduck:

What does this even mean?

The EGR valve hooks up with the intake instead of going directly into the cylinder, causing that carbon buildup.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
How is that going to work without some kind of valve that gets caked in poo poo like the intake valve does right now?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Godholio posted:

How is that going to work without some kind of valve that gets caked in poo poo like the intake valve does right now?

No need for EGR, since each cylinder gets a precision metered charge of fuel...

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Muffinpox posted:

The EGR valve hooks up with the intake instead of going directly into the cylinder, causing that carbon buildup.

That's not from EGR, that's from the PCV venting oily mist into the intake.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sponge! posted:

No need for EGR, since each cylinder gets a precision metered charge of fuel...

I wish, my MS3 is turbocharged and direct injected, and still has both EGR and PCV gunking the hell out of the intake valves. I really don't want to know what mine look like.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wish, my MS3 is turbocharged and direct injected, and still has both EGR and PCV gunking the hell out of the intake valves. I really don't want to know what mine look like.

How does my low-tech Jeep 4.0 get away with no EGR? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

EightBit posted:

How does my low-tech Jeep 4.0 get away with no EGR? :psyduck:

No emissions compliance.