Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Ork converters are the single best redeemer of this goddamn hobby.

EDIT: Going to use my status as a top-of-pager to dedicate this page to amazing Ork conversions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

HOW PRESUMPTUOUS OF ME

thos're the two favorites of mine, now here's a couple more great ones I've saved.

My heart just melts into butter going through that folder. I loves me some ork conversions.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

A few things still on my desk. Wow I got to paint a lot...

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

9 out 10 dentists agree...
That Mr. Potato Head Stompa is my favorite Ork conversion.

Edit: Went looking for the conversion log for potato stompa and...wow, how have I not seen this guy's page before? He is the God of all things Orky.

http://www.irondogstudios.com/

Chet AwesomeLaser fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 13, 2011

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

bhsman posted:

Cool, lemme know if you find it.

Hey dude, was it the one with the sort of half-mask? Exposed forehead and hair? Because I used that one. I thought there was a different one, but if that's the one you were looking for, I've already put it on a guy.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fix posted:

Hey dude, was it the one with the sort of half-mask? Exposed forehead and hair? Because I used that one. I thought there was a different one, but if that's the one you were looking for, I've already put it on a guy.

Nah, the one without the half-mask. This one:

http://www.thewarstore.com/product31244.html

If you don't have it, either, than that's cool. :) I appreciate the effort.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

bhsman posted:

Nah, the one without the half-mask. This one:

http://www.thewarstore.com/product31244.html

If you don't have it, either, than that's cool. :) I appreciate the effort.

Oh! Ok, I found that one. Emailing you.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'm surprised you don't have my address down on a notecard or something by now. :v: Thanks again.

VVV Got a picture?

bhsman fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 13, 2011

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Here to bug this thread again: I guy at my store wants me to paint a water elemental for him, and I have no idea how to make it look good. Help!

I was thinking of just priming it white, and going the usual route of darker to lighter blues and then washing it to blend better, but I'm not sure if that would suffice.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
You could just prime it white and the wash it with blue, leave the concentration of the wash to create your shadows and highlights. Leave the highest parts white like the crests of waves*

*This is dependent on what sort of water elemental it is.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

No Pun Intended posted:

You could just prime it white and the wash it with blue, leave the concentration of the wash to create your shadows and highlights. Leave the highest parts white like the crests of waves*

*This is dependent on what sort of water elemental it is.

He didn't care. I was considering doing it a sea-green instead of a standard blue but since it isn't mine I don't want to experiment and have it turn out like poo poo.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If you gave us a link or picture that would go a long way towards giving us a better idea of what to tell you; is it more anthropomorphic or some kind of floating blob? Etc.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

bhsman posted:

If you gave us a link or picture that would go a long way towards giving us a better idea of what to tell you; is it more anthropomorphic or some kind of floating blob? Etc.

Oh, I forgot to mention: it's this guy
http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/TSR/TSR95052-20_500.jpeg (can't upload at work)

So it doesn't really look like water. If anything it'll look like blue flame, but he wants it done and it won't take more than half an hour to do, I hope.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Maybe basecoat a mid-blue, wash it a bunch with green/blue washes, then lightly drybrush with an offwhite all over and then again with white-white on the facial features?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Stick a tiny boat on it.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Uber Kosh posted:

Could I get some comments on my attempt to Nurgle-ify some Chaos Knights please guys?

In response to this, does this paint scheme look Nurgle-y enough?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Uber Kosh posted:

Before I read your text the first thing I thought was "Nurgle Chaos Steed" so I'd say yes. :)

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have leftover GKT bits? I'm looking for stormbolter arms and one of those ward staves in particular. Actually the regular GK stave is the same I think so that would work too.

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009
Here is a Khador Juggernaught that I painted.

Criticisms are welcome, especially if you're telling me how to make my orange look better.

Oh God please someone help me with my orange.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Paging PV re: orange (and blue!). PV to the painting thread.

Edit: to actually be helpful, I would say it looks pretty decent. What did you want help with specifically?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
get dem rivets with a little bit of brown ink or something. Thin it down a bunch and don't use a whole lot, just enough to add some shading

e

crime fighting hog posted:

painting on some turpentine after using it.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 14, 2011

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I want to try out some of that rust powder. Any good links for buying and what do I do to make it stay on? I've heard of either just spraying varnish on it or painting on some turpentine after using it.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

I want to try out some of that rust powder. Any good links for buying and what do I do to make it stay on? I've heard of either just spraying varnish on it or painting on some turpentine after using it.

MicroMark has a 3 or 4 part rusting kit. It looks super bad-rear end, and you can vary the amount of rust you have from light to loving all over.

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009

Fyrbrand posted:

Edit: to actually be helpful, I would say it looks pretty decent. What did you want help with specifically?

You can't really see it that well in the pictures, but the brush strokes are pretty visable, and the gradients in the orange kind of suck even though I did like 15 coats.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Uber Kosh posted:

My first reaction was "God drat that looks ugly and gross." So, yes, its a great nurgle scheme. Well painted, too.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Wondermoose posted:

You can't really see it that well in the pictures, but the brush strokes are pretty visable, and the gradients in the orange kind of suck even though I did like 15 coats.

Blending is another one of those things thats all down to practice and skill. I still can't blend so my oranges and yellows always look pretty crap. I second doing something with the rivets though, they have so many and look really good when they stand out.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Washout is right re: blending. Just takes time and practice. If you're getting brush strokes, thin your paint more.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Alright, not 100% done but I wanted to ask for a bit of advice.

Should I color the hilt of the blade gold or silver? Should I leave the rest of the pole black, not really sure what to color it. There are touch ups, but these are the ones I'm not sure about.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
You used the ridiculous wolf head.

And then you painted a little doggy nose on it.

:geno:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Bavius posted:

Alright, not 100% done but I wanted to ask for a bit of advice.

Holy gently caress that blade!

How about a starfield? It's all the rage here and even if it's only splatter, it looks awesome. Might be tough to get it going unless you mask everything though.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Miles O'Brian posted:

You used the ridiculous wolf head.

And then you painted a little doggy nose on it.

:geno:

I like it. Wolfy wolfhelm of Wolfenstein - HO!

Starfield eh? Maybe, might be able to pull that off.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 14, 2011

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009
Thanks for the advice on my juggernaught guys, I'll wash the rivets with devlan mud or something and pick them out with a brighter highlight next time.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Pw pw pw, I love that servo skull.

Anyone have advice on using oil paints on your models ? I'm going to be trying out some W&N Winton Burnt Umber on my Eldar. It'll be for shading blood red, both through the airbrush and for making a wash for the panel grooves. Over at least one coat of gloss, obviously.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 14, 2011

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I saw some awesome basing tutorials that used tree bark for boulders and such. I'd like to try it but the guides didn't mention anything as to if I should wash the bark first to clean off some dirt or if it takes paint any differently. I assume I prime it and paint it as normal but does anyone here do the same?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

I saw some awesome basing tutorials that used tree bark for boulders and such. I'd like to try it but the guides didn't mention anything as to if I should wash the bark first to clean off some dirt or if it takes paint any differently. I assume I prime it and paint it as normal but does anyone here do the same?

I guess if there is a lot of dirt on it you could wash it. Bare bark is probably a lot more absorbant of paint than it would be if it were primed, so I'd go ahead and prime it first.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Bavius posted:

It's like Snoopy the marine.
But I don't mean that in a bad way, colors and blade look good. I would say not gold on the hilt of the blade, a boltgun with black wash feels right.

For reals, after reading the last few posts I am inspired to paint, does not happen usually. Way to go.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

WhiteOutMouse posted:

It's like Snoopy the marine.
But I don't mean that in a bad way,

You just made me think... Bright red spear!

Like his house.

This isn't being goofy, either. Bright red is an effective counterpoint to blue and white--that's why it's on so many flags. And this way, he's the :911: or :britain: spacewolf.

or :australia: or :newzealand:

... or :norway: :tito: :france:

It's a *really* good combo, and I think it would look sharp.

And also it would be a fun kind of nickname/homage to an awesome character.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

NecronSchmecron posted:

Holy gently caress that blade!

How about a starfield? It's all the rage here and even if it's only splatter, it looks awesome. Might be tough to get it going unless you mask everything though.

Hey now, it's not just splatter, gotta drybrush on some nebulae or it looks like polka dots.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
His actual technique is, first, he takes a base color, applies it wet, and then puts the model near his amp. He then shreds and rips, causing the vibrations of the stereo to blow the paint thinner in some areas, and lighten them--letting the base coat shine through.

Then, he stands behind a waterfall of paint, his axe at the ready, and tearing out killer fingering, the power of his playing is transmitted through the waterfall causing it to spray, like the blood of a stabbed beast, at the model--never landing on an area that shouldn't have stars, despite not using any masking.

Finally, cranking it all the way, he plays a single powerchord--electricity leaps from his instrument, through paint pots of his choosing, and writhes across the model like a snake made of chromatic lightning. The image of its passing is indelibly seared on the skiff and it is infused with ROCK.

he's going to make a video tutorial and post it on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I'm just happy to have found this picture, apparently some organizer took it at a tournament I was at recently, I found it floating around online. Way better shot than I can take.

• Locked thread