Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Evfedu posted:

Anyone able to recommend a good book about love?

I'm basically asking for a romance novel, but those two words have a connotation of ripping bodices and ripped torsos, rather than ripping yarns. Anyone read a vaguely recent book that's the equivalent of a good romantic comedy? People meet, like one another and end up getting it together, and that's all you find yourself asking for?

Preferably without the horrible "stuff this poo poo forcefully into a three act structure" that every romcom in history has.

I've asked this same question in this thread before but didn't get many suggestions. Someone mentioned High Fidelity but I couldn't get into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Film was good, book was OK. Hornby is a bit of a whiny poo poo at the best of times (worst of times being the practically impenetrably miserable How To Be Good).

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Quantify! posted:

What are some good books about modern Arab or Arab-American women? Themes of "oppression" and "sexuality" are most useful. Fiction or non-fiction.

I have a bunch of stuff by Hanan al-Shaykh ordered already.
I realize that Afghani and Arab aren't the same thing, but Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns, about two Afghan women living through the Soviet invasion and mujaheddin infighting, Taliban rule, etc., with a pretty heavy focus on womens' oppression in that society. I'd definitely check it out if you're willing to go for the Muslim world as a whole instead of something about Arabs specifically.

If you're set on Arabs specifically, I have a couple friends who said Randa Abdel-Fattah's Does My Head Look Big In This? was really good. I haven't read it personally, so this is more of a second-hand recommendation, but it's all about a Palestinian-Australian teenager's decision to wear the hijab full-time, so I'd imagine it brings up a lot of questions about the woman's place in Islam/Palestinian culture and so on. Sorry if neither one is what you're looking for, I'm just starting to get into Middle-Eastern/Islamic literature myself.

Also, if The Story of Zahra is one of the books you're ordering by al-Shaykh, let me know how it is! Some dick on Amazon spoiled the whole thing for me in a review, but I'm still really interested in reading it (partly out of spite for that spoiling rear end in a top hat :argh:).

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Also, if The Story of Zahra is one of the books you're ordering by al-Shaykh, let me know how it is!
It is, I will. Thanks for the suggestions.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Evfedu posted:

Anyone able to recommend a good book about love?

I'm basically asking for a romance novel, but those two words have a connotation of ripping bodices and ripped torsos, rather than ripping yarns. Anyone read a vaguely recent book that's the equivalent of a good romantic comedy? People meet, like one another and end up getting it together, and that's all you find yourself asking for?

Preferably without the horrible "stuff this poo poo forcefully into a three act structure" that every romcom in history has.

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm looking for a readable book about the history of human civilisation. Like most people I've grown up with a patchwork of historical knowledge, fuzzy in most parts and brightening in areas that are more famous or have had movies made about them. I know, for example, that Australian society began when the First Fleet landed in 1788, and I know that the population really boomed with the Victorian gold rushes in the 1860s, but what about all the in between stuff? When did Sydney go from being a ramshackle bunch of houses to being a proper city - and what was society like when it did?

That was just an example, though - I'm looking for a global history. Also so I can follow the rise of civilisation chronologically, rather than by area, which is how people usually seem to read about it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

freebooter posted:

I'm looking for a readable book about the history of human civilisation. Like most people I've grown up with a patchwork of historical knowledge, fuzzy in most parts and brightening in areas that are more famous or have had movies made about them. I know, for example, that Australian society began when the First Fleet landed in 1788, and I know that the population really boomed with the Victorian gold rushes in the 1860s, but what about all the in between stuff? When did Sydney go from being a ramshackle bunch of houses to being a proper city - and what was society like when it did?

That was just an example, though - I'm looking for a global history. Also so I can follow the rise of civilisation chronologically, rather than by area, which is how people usually seem to read about it.

Cartoon History of the Universe by Larry Gonick does a decent job. There's a fairly heavy focus on indo-european history but it's mostly chronological and DOES cover history in other parts of the world as well, especially in the later volumes, and it's interestingly researched and thoroughly scientific even when discussing history from religious sources (Moses, etc.)

edit:

http://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-History-Universe-Vol-Pt-1/dp/0385265204
http://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-History-Universe-Volumes-8-13/dp/0385420935/ref=pd_sim_b_1
http://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-History-Universe-Volumes-8-13/dp/0385420935/ref=bxgy_cc_b_img_b

The only caveats I'll give about these are that

1) He tends to focus on "interesting" over "proven." Everything's well-researched, but given a boring theory and a cool sounding theory, each of which is potentially valid based on what we know, you'll get a panel on the cool one and maybe a footnote on the boring one, even if the boring one has more evidence. Still, he notes that he's talking theories when he does that kinda thing, and gives his sources.

2) They have a pretty weird mix of lots of religious history -- Jesus, Confucius, Buddha, Moses, etc. -- through an entirely secular/scientific lens. Given the author's obvious atheism, it's kinda weird that he spends that much time discussing religion at all, but then I guess it's a big part of human history.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 12, 2011

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

freebooter posted:

I would love something like this, too. That's what I thought I was getting when I read "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, but turns out that book is about the history of science(still, one of the most fascinating books I've ever read). So, seconding this post.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

freebooter posted:

If you're looking for all the in between stuff, I'm pretty sure that book would run 5000 pages. It may be more useful to focus on certain areas, eg Norman Davies's Europe is thorough and very readable.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Novels that have a similar vibe to "Norwegian Wood" or to the Wong Kar Wai movies set in modern day (Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, etc)?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 22, 2016

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, I really wanted to recommend something for both of you, but I haven't really found a book yet focusing on Post-Elizabethan England or the Holy Roman Empire. The closest I've found to the former was Schama's History of Britain and Norman Davies' Europe for the latter, but both works cover more ground and consequently can't go into the kind of depth on these eras that I'm sure you're looking for.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 22, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I also placed an order for Cartoon History of the Universe, Vol. 1 Hopefully it's good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

blue squares posted:

I also placed an order for Cartoon History of the Universe, Vol. 1 Hopefully it's good.

Good luck, let me know what you think of it =)

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm looking for a light book that explains what Marx's ideology was. I'd rather not read what Marx wrote as his stuff is pretty dense but a version that makes it easier to digest.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I'm looking for a light book that explains what Marx's ideology was. I'd rather not read what Marx wrote as his stuff is pretty dense but a version that makes it easier to digest.

The main thrust is here, I copied that into OpenOffice and got 19 pages. It's pretty doable.

If not, how easy-to-digest do you want? "The rich want to gently caress the poor, and they are."

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
What's a good translation of Dante's Inferno? I've been kicking around Amazon, looking at the masses of editions available and Ciaran Carson's seems to stand out but if anybody's read one they especially liked, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

blue squares posted:

Those books are great. My entire knowledge of world history comes from those books. It got me through AP History, more or less

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

Kismet posted:

Huh, I'm not sure. You mean where to start on a Faust-related reading list? I suppose it depends which titles you want to read. Goethe's Faust and Marlowe's Dr Faustus are both basically re-tellings of the same story, and would probably be fairly heavy going to read one after the other unless you're really into reading variations of the Faust story (like me :woop:). They're both worthwhile, but maybe with a gap between them. Personally, if you were only to read one, I'd recommend Goethe's Faust, which is longer but has vastly more depth and human interest to it. There are also multitudes of translations available - my favourite modern translation is Walter Kaufmann's, which chops out quite a lot of Act II but does a good job of sticking close to the original text while keeping it readable and capturing the humour.

Again, though, it depends what you're interested to read. Goethe's Faust is certainly the one to read first if you then want to move on to The Master and Margarita. However, if you want to get the most out of Confessions of a Justified Sinner, you should probably read Doctor Faustus. Marlowe and Hogg were both writing against very specific religious backgrounds in the UK, so they share a number of themes and explore similar philosophies.

As for Eric? It's light comedy relief, and only really superficially based on the story of Faust. Read it whenever you need a lighthearted boost in between the other books. :)

So yeah, my recommended order would probably be:

Doctor Faustus - Christopher Marlowe
Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner - James Hogg
Faust Eric - Terry Pratchett
Faust - Goethe
The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov

Other people may disagree, in which case I'd be interested to hear other ways of approaching the books. I think my own reading order was Eric > Faust > Faustus > Confessions > Margarita, but then I got hooked and ended up revisiting all of them in different combinations. It's also a woefully incomplete reading list, which is why I came here for more recommendations.

E: Oh, and since this post is not yet long enough, anyone else who's interested by ambiguous themes of religion, biblical prophecy and ultimate evil should really read Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose. I wouldn't call it Faustian, but it's definitely a cracking read and ticks a lot of similar mental boxes.

Somehow I missed this reply. Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted and I can see why you add The Name of the Rose to it.
On a slight derail, I tried tricking friends into believing an april's fool this year that The Name of the Rose II: Revenge of Jorge de Burgos was ready for preorder. No luck :argh:

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Read Marx's stuff* with Wikipedia and Marxists.org open beside you.

* The Communist Manifesto, as suggested, and Chapter 1 of Capital (on commodities and commodity fetishism).

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

barkingclam posted:

What's a good translation of Dante's Inferno? I've been kicking around Amazon, looking at the masses of editions available and Ciaran Carson's seems to stand out but if anybody's read one they especially liked, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

This is the version I read in my Dante class in college, it seems to be a really good translation (I don't read Italian, so I can't say exactly how faithful of a translation it is) and there is a ton of additional info and end-notes (at the end of the canto, not the end of the book, which is nice).

One complaint I have is that the spots for the end notes aren't marked in any way in the text so you find yourself flipping back and forth between the text and the end notes more than you need to. Other than that I thought it was fantastic and really a fascinating read. The amazon reviews seem to warn against the Kindle version, though, so try and pick it up in hard copy.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Anybody want to recommend some Kindle store non-fiction?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Arnold of Soissons posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Autobiography-Benjamin-Franklin-ebook/dp/B000JMLMXI/ref=cm_lmf_tit_2

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rough-Riders-ebook/dp/B000JMLDD2/ref=pd_sim_kinc_95?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

http://www.amazon.com/Through-the-B...02890531&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Eaters-Tsavo-African-Adventures-ebook/dp/B002RKRQ4Y/ref=pd_sim_kinc_17?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

http://www.amazon.com/Theodore-Roosevelt-an-Autobiography-ebook/dp/B004TPAPHA/ref=pd_sim_kinc_40?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Arnold of Soissons posted:

It's a shame there isn't more of his stuff on Kindle, but you can never go wrong with John McPhee. Here's Uncommon Carriers which is as good an introduction to him as any. It's a shame neither of his anthologies are available, they're really good reads.

Here's another one I read recently. Under Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader, a really in depth and detailed look at North Korea. It's everything you could want to know about the most secretive country on the planet and more. The refugee stories are mind blowing, too.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

hellvis454 posted:

I need a recommendation on a book (or series) about "the war in heaven", i.e. war between angels and demons.

Not the biblical thingie, more like Darksider's computer game setting.

Anything worth a nickel on this subject?

Thanks.

God's Demon, by Wayne Barlowe, is more or less about this. I read it a while ago and enjoyed it. The author is an illustrator apparently and that comes through in the images and locations he describes. It takes place long after the war in heaven, with one of the demons wanting to fight back against lucifer and return to heaven. There are all kinds of twisted demons and Beelzebub is composed of millions of black flies and there are huge demonic fortresses constructed of human souls etc. It's not great literature, I guess, but "cool" is a good descriptor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Any good nonfiction books on con games? Just watched The Sting and have been reading a bunch of financial crime fiction where the crimes get analogized to basic con games, so I'm wondering if there's an index/history of con games somewhere that I could read. Thanks!

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Also, if The Story of Zahra is one of the books you're ordering by al-Shaykh, let me know how it is! Some dick on Amazon spoiled the whole thing for me in a review, but I'm still really interested in reading it (partly out of spite for that spoiling rear end in a top hat :argh:).
I didn't care for it much. It didn't have much depth and could've been any "wartime novel".

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any good nonfiction books on con games? Just watched The Sting and have been reading a bunch of financial crime fiction where the crimes get analogized to basic con games, so I'm wondering if there's an index/history of con games somewhere that I could read. Thanks!
Not exactly what you asked for but Kevin Mitnick's The Art of Intrusion and The Art of Deception are good books on social engineering. It's entertaining and more modern than most books on the subject, which seem to be aimed at senior citizens who want to protect themselves against check washers.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Quantify! posted:

I didn't care for it much. It didn't have much depth and could've been any "wartime novel".
Not exactly what you asked for but Kevin Mitnick's The Art of Intrusion and The Art of Deception are good books on social engineering. It's entertaining and more modern than most books on the subject, which seem to be aimed at senior citizens who want to protect themselves against check washers.

I was curious for recommendations along perhaps a more general line of white collar crime, perhaps not unlike American Greed or related shows. I just finished reading Inside Job and would like more true crime non fiction. Will check out these two books myself.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009

I picked up a book called The Con Artist Handbook by Joel Levy five or six years ago. Although rather brief, it does serve as a good catalogue of confidence games throughout history.

(On a side note, you might also want to check out the British TV series Hustle and its 'non-fictional' counter-part The Real Hustle as well as the movies House of Games and Nine Queens).

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Good luck, let me know what you think of it =)

Read the first 24 pages of Cartoon History today, really good so far. Thanks a ton for recommending it!

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Has anyone read any Sheri Holman? I heard a neat podcast with her and I was wondering if her work was any good and where one might start with it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Mr. Banana Grabber posted:

Has anyone read any Sheri Holman? I heard a neat podcast with her and I was wondering if her work was any good and where one might start with it.

I'm only familiar with her latest, Witches..., which is fantastically well-written, but my understanding is that The Dress Lodger makes the best starting point. She visited my store recently and was really great, both reading and discussing her work.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
A friend of mine is apparently looking for cheesy fantasy novels that include (I quote) "Dungeons, quests, dragons, knights riding dragons, good, evil, dark wizards, evil magic, mighty heroes etc." He has tried some of the DnD books and said they were not really goony enough to merit reading.

Sorry if this is a retarded question.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Megafunk posted:

A friend of mine is apparently looking for cheesy fantasy novels that include (I quote) "Dungeons, quests, dragons, knights riding dragons, good, evil, dark wizards, evil magic, mighty heroes etc." He has tried some of the DnD books and said they were not really goony enough to merit reading.

Joe Abercrombie has what you need.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Quantify! posted:

Joe Abercrombie has what you need.

Joe Abercrombie is almost exactly opposite of what Megafunk is looking for if his friend has said the loving D&D books aren't goony enough.

Which kind of begs the question, if licensed books based on Dungeons and Dragons isn't goony enough, what is? I think your friend is going to have to delve into the black abyss of fan-fiction to find what he's looking for.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

Megafunk posted:

Wouldn't the Dragonlance books be just the thing?

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

If someone could recommend me a good horror novel/short story collection, it'd be much appreciated. I've never really read horror before and I figured I might as well get into it, since I'm in the mood to be scared.

Books that are horror-ish that I've read are:
Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist
It by Stephen King
Horns by Joe Hill
My Work is Not Yet Done and Teatro Grottesco by Thomas Ligotti
Pretty much every Edgar Allen Poe story
Some Lovecraft short stories...whatever's in the Penguin compilation, I've read.

Akarshi fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 24, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Wouldn't the Dragonlance books be just the thing?

Yeah, if Dragonlance isn't goony enough I have no idea. Hell, it's licensed AD&D fiction, what more does he want? Spock riding a dragon?

Maybe Goodkind, just for terribility points? Does he want good-awesome-schlock or honestly bad?

He could try the original Conan novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Akarshi posted:

If someone could recommend me a good horror novel/short story collection, it'd be much appreciated. I've never really read horror before and I figured I might as well get into it, since I'm in the mood to be scared.

Books that are horror-ish that I've read are:
Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist
It by Stephen King
Horns by Joe Hill
My Work is Not Yet Done and Teatro Grottesco by Thomas Ligotti
Pretty much every Edgar Allen Poe story
Some Lovecraft short stories...whatever's in the Penguin compilation, I've read.

Since you already know him, Stephen King's short story collection Skeleton Crew is pretty drat good.