Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Come here Paul Kidby, come here so I can give you a big cuddly hug.

ibroxmassive posted:

He's sailing down the Styx to rescue Death, who in exchange will make Sam the God of Coppers and therefore immortal.

And it will be awesome.

Like he'd accept another loving promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm pretty sure Sam Vimes would accept Godhood only for the length of time necessary to go to Cor Celesti and arrest the lot.

...Holy poo poo I'd read that.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

For those who can't get enough of the guy in person here he is talking about his disease and most of you have heard him say this stuff before but heck, there's no such thing as too much Pratchett.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/04/13/3190827.htm

He talks about his disease being somewhat physical rather than just memory, which I guess at least bodes well for continuing writing in the short term at least (does it? I'm not sure now that i read this back to myself). Poor guy here he is suffering and we're all omg when is the next book!? Guy can't catch a break!

I'm hanging out for the next book though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nilbop posted:

"What can the harvest hope for, if not the care of the reaper man?"

That's such a fantastic line it elevates the book on it's own.

it's the response that's amazing, though the line is damned good.

SeanBeansShako posted:

A young looking Sam Vimes. Time cannot hold back his fury!

Do you honestly think Sam Vime's Fury can ever be contained? He did fight off a quasi-demonic thing of pure vengeance with nothing but his subconscious after all.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

seaborgium posted:

it's the response that's amazing, though the line is damned good.

I can't find the response anywhere but I'll set you up for it with Death's appeal;

Death posted:

LORD, WE KNOW THERE IS NO GOOD ORDER EXCEPT THAT WHICH WE CREATE...
THERE IS NO HOPE BUT US. THERE IS NO MERCY BUT US. THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE IS JUST US.
ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION.
AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END ONE DAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS.
LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

ConfusedUs posted:

That hourglass is the most intriguing thing on the cover. It's pure speculation, but knowing Sam, he's out to save someone from an unjust Death.

I hope you're right, because my first thought was that Vimes had in some way gotten hold of his own hourglass, and have to solve a crime before it runs out.

And I hope I'm wrong, because what about Young Sam?:ohdear:

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

I can totally see Vimes trying to arrest Blind Io/Death. Just as I can totally see Carrot persuading him to give them community service.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Staggy posted:

I can totally see Vimes trying to arrest Blind Io/Death. Just as I can totally see Carrot persuading him to give them community service.

And sentencing them to godding/harvesting souls as punishment.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Mr. Moon posted:

Scar over his eye = post Night Watch.

Come on people, that's clearly the current Sam Vimes. Let's not mess about with time travel theories when we should be wondering what the hell he's doing on a paddleboat riding a flash flood in a valley with a flock of chickens.

Perhaps a return to Uberwald? Or just a trip to the Copperheads? I can't think of anywhere on the Sto Plains that has that kind of geography. Terry has been hinting at a lot of stuff re: the Unholy Empire in recent books.

There is the slightest possibility he's back in Koom Valley, a place known for both Trolls and catastrophic flooding. Full-sized boats and/or chickens would've had to have been imported, of course.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Nilbop posted:

I can't find the response anywhere but I'll set you up for it with Death's appeal;

Yes.

e: YES.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Iacen posted:

And I hope I'm wrong, because what about Young Sam?:ohdear:

The bells rang out six times and young Sam looked around hopefully. "Ga?"

AHEM. WHERE'S MY COW?

Young Sam clapped his hands together happily.

IS THAT MY COW? NO, IT IS AN ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION, IT GOES WITH EVERYTHING. EVENTUALLY.

WHAT? FINE, IT GOES HRUUUGH!

"Hugh! Buglit!"

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I could live with that. I think Where's My Cow? is one of Pratchett's most adorable ideas.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Iacen posted:

I could live with that. I think Where's My Cow? is one of Pratchett's most adorable ideas.

You should buy a copy then.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

There is the slightest possibility he's back in Koom Valley, a place known for both Trolls and catastrophic flooding. Full-sized boats and/or chickens would've had to have been imported, of course.

Bloody Koom Valley!

I hope we get another appearince from Mr Shine.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SeanBeansShako posted:

I hope we get another appearince from Mr Shine.

Yeah, him diamond.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

Flatscan posted:

You should buy a copy then.

I was kind of disappointed that this was a picture book of Vimes reading a picture book, rather than just the picture book. Still cool though and it still gets read to my kids, the unsigned copy anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Moon posted:

Scar over his eye = post Night Watch.

Come on people, that's clearly the current Sam Vimes. Let's not mess about with time travel theories when we should be wondering what the hell he's doing on a paddleboat riding a flash flood in a valley with a flock of chickens.

Perhaps a return to Uberwald? Or just a trip to the Copperheads? I can't think of anywhere on the Sto Plains that has that kind of geography. Terry has been hinting at a lot of stuff re: the Unholy Empire in recent books.

My assumption was that it was a picture of Vimes piloting Leonard of Quirm's latest going-under-the-ocean-safely-in-an-enclosed-airtight-boat device.

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, him diamond.

I was so disappointed he wasn't a bigger part of that book, would love to see some more of him.

Given the events in Thud! and how much Terry has played up Koom Valley in general and in particular with Vimes relationship with the Trolls and Dwarves, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was almost a direct follow up.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yes.

e: YES.

That's not even close to big enough, are you really trying?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Good enough.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Given the riverboat maybe he's heading to Genua?

Also do any other Australian Goons have tickets to go see Terry speak at the Opera House on sunday?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm re-reading bits of Discworld again at the moment. It's still awesome. I've jsut finished Thud, and I think it's one of my favorites. I've just done the Watch arc, but I couldn't find my copy of Fifth Elephant :(

My girlfriend is going to start reading Pratchett with the Death books just as soon as she finishes American Gods, which I also loaned her. We watched the TV adaption of Going Postal last night and she loved it, even after I explained that the books were much better.

My mum reminds me strongly of Nanny Ogg, except without all the husbands. She used to love a drink, taught me dirty songs, is very 'inappropriate' around my friends and girlfriends, and occasionally imparts stunning wisdom. She's also extremely cheerful most of the time, even now she's got cancer. I can imagine Nanny reacting in pretty much the same way to the disease as mum did - "I'm not dead yet! Get me another drink!"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

I'm re-reading bits of Discworld again at the moment. It's still awesome. I've jsut finished Thud, and I think it's one of my favorites. I've just done the Watch arc, but I couldn't find my copy of Fifth Elephant :(

My girlfriend is going to start reading Pratchett with the Death books just as soon as she finishes American Gods, which I also loaned her. We watched the TV adaption of Going Postal last night and she loved it, even after I explained that the books were much better.

Going postal isn't bad for Sunday Evening fodder, apart from a few excrutiating scenes cough cough it was actually pretty decent, particularly with the casting.

quote:

My mum reminds me strongly of Nanny Ogg, except without all the husbands. She used to love a drink, taught me dirty songs, is very 'inappropriate' around my friends and girlfriends, and occasionally imparts stunning wisdom. She's also extremely cheerful most of the time, even now she's got cancer. I can imagine Nanny reacting in pretty much the same way to the disease as mum did - "I'm not dead yet! Get me another drink!"

That sucks dude, I know a bunch of people in that situation, but your mum has got the best attitude to confront it and here's hoping it all goes well :)

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Going by the size of the boat and the speed the drawing suggests the wheels are going at, it's almost certainly powered by that weird Device found at the end of Thud! which means the book is almost certainly going to be another Dwarves-as-Muslims metaphor, and if he's so keen to be going at speed that suggests the hourglass represents a time limit rather than the Death, plus he looks mighty pissed off and has a gremlin on him, and Taken came out a year or so ago so I am gonna be totally autistic and guess that the next plot involves sinister Dwarven mafia men have taken Young Sam/Lady Sybil as collateral to force Vimes to kill Carrot within some amount of time, except Vimes wigs the gently caress out and shanks some bitches up except for the bitches who defenceless, cause that'd be too far. Also the boat's probably made by Leonard Da Quirm, at Vetinari's behest, because you can't have a Vimes book without Vetinari.

And hey, if I've guessed right it'll be dead impressive and if I haven't nobody'll remember. :spergin:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

jfjnpxmy posted:

Dwarves-as-Muslims metaphor

What? I've never heard about this one.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Probably referring to the more in-depth look at dwarf religion and society in Fifth Elephant and Thud. Though whether they're a fantasy equivalent to Judaism, Islam or some hybrid is up for debate.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Nilbop posted:

Come here Paul Kidby, come here so I can give you a big cuddly hug.

Like he'd accept another loving promotion.

I like this, but I meant young Sam. It'd be the Vimesy thing to do, make him a copper who can curse the bastards in Cori Celesti in a lightning conductive breastplate.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ibroxmassive posted:

He's sailing down the Styx to rescue Death, who in exchange will make Sam the God of Coppers and therefore immortal.

And it will be awesome.

"Tell me," said Blind Io. "Is there a god of policemen?"
"No, sir," said Carrot. "Coppers would be far too suspicious of anyone calling themselves a god of policemen to believe in one."

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Probably referring to the more in-depth look at dwarf religion and society in Fifth Elephant and Thud. Though whether they're a fantasy equivalent to Judaism, Islam or some hybrid is up for debate.

I'm halfway through Fifth Elephant right now. How the dwarf community is described is definitely a parallel to immigrants in general, but I don't think it's specific enough to nail it down to any existing religion or ethnicity.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

John Dough posted:

I'm halfway through Fifth Elephant right now. How the dwarf community is described is definitely a parallel to immigrants in general, but I don't think it's specific enough to nail it down to any existing religion or ethnicity.

It's much more obvious in Thud. Have you read that yet?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Dwarves and trolls represent minorities, that's all. Terry had his idea of dwarves in Ankh-Morpork down before 9/11 Changed Everything, muslim minorities were just a part of that.

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Heck, maybe it's personal selection bias but I am an Orthodox Jew and I always thought the Dwarves were more of a nod in my direction. (Either the Dwarves or the Golems anyway)

My Rabbi would definitely be Bashfullson though :3:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The Dwarves definitely give off more of a religious-fundamentalist-of-any-stripe feeling than specifically Muslim stuff. Hell, what with all the Scottish cultural shibboleths that Pratchett adapted for them (Scone of Stone and all) I couldn't help but get a Free Presbyterian feeling from them.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
I kinda figured having them be a bunch of head-down-and-work-hard types who're segregated from the people around them but essentially nice folks, being noised up by the hateful rhetoric of a few fundamentalist radical clerics, who want all their women covered up, to have their own law in a land that is not their own, use the threat of an enemy state as a way of radicalising impressionable young moderates and are dead keen on declaring things not-Dwarf, was pretty much analogous to the UK Muslim population, who're mostly head-down-and-work-hard types who're segregated from the people around them but essentially nice folks, being noised up by the hateful rhetoric of a few fundamentalist radical clerics who want all their women covered up, to have their own law in a land that is not their own*, use the threat of an enemy state as a way of radicalising impressionable young moderates and are dead keen on declaring things haraam. Your mileage may vary.

* Except not really because that's largely a bogeyman conjured up by the Daily Mail and The Sun, but whatevs.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

jfjnpxmy posted:

I kinda figured having them be a bunch of head-down-and-work-hard types who're segregated from the people around them but essentially nice folks, being noised up by the hateful rhetoric of a few fundamentalist radical clerics, who want all their women covered up, to have their own law in a land that is not their own, use the threat of an enemy state as a way of radicalising impressionable young moderates and are dead keen on declaring things not-Dwarf, was pretty much analogous to the UK Muslim population, who're mostly head-down-and-work-hard types who're segregated from the people around them but essentially nice folks, being noised up by the hateful rhetoric of a few fundamentalist radical clerics who want all their women covered up, to have their own law in a land that is not their own*, use the threat of an enemy state as a way of radicalising impressionable young moderates and are dead keen on declaring things haraam. Your mileage may vary.

* Except not really because that's largely a bogeyman conjured up by the Daily Mail and The Sun, but whatevs.

Nilbop posted:

Dwarves and trolls represent minorities, that's all. Terry had his idea of dwarves in Ankh-Morpork down before 9/11 Changed Everything, muslim minorities were just a part of that.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

jfjnpxmy posted:

Not entirely inaccurate, though the Daily Mail and Sun have blown it out of proportion.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2010/jul/05/sharia-law-religious-courts
It's an interesting little article and worth a read.

Anyway Nilbop probably hit it on the head, but it's always interesting to see how different people interpret a text.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I thought racial/ethnic/religious minority immigrants were a thing in England well before 2001. :confused:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Doc Hawkins posted:

I thought racial/ethnic/religious minority immigrants were a thing in England well before 2001. :confused:

A few hundred years, yup.

Limehouse in the East End of London in the latter half of the 19th Century was pretty indistinguishable from Shanghai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Dwarves can't be a fundy Islam/Christianity stereotype, because they don't even recognise gender. Their creation myths are literally on the Adam and Steve level. Maybe a dwarf couple is from different genders, but dwarves don't give a poo poo about it. No good fundy of any religious stripe would put up with that.

I definitely see more of a generic culturally-different-immigrant-in-a-big-city approach than one based on mimicking any real-world culture beyond the needs of whichever terrible, awesome pun Pratchett's making at any one point in time.