Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There's a binder sitting on someone's desk here, who took a Cisco class ~10 years ago and they didn't have computers or routers in the classroom to work on, and they must not have even had a copy machine because all the notes are hand-written. Your picture reminds me of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Tony Montana posted:

Got your CCIEs yet? How far off are you?

I'd say bout at least two or four years before I get there. I had gotten my CCNA in Jan 2008 with a three year break. It took my CCNA almost expiring to get my rear end back on the horse because I'll be damned if I stay at the status quo or let that work go to waste. I want to move forward.

So it really depends on how much time and practice I can get in per day to keep this timeline. I plan on my CCIP/ CCNP this year. I already have ROUTE and I'm working on MPLS + BGP by late May or early June. Then finish QOS by the summer and switch and tshoot over the fall and winter.

Working for a SP is a huge advantage since everything is built. I get real world examples to observe and piece together stuff in my lab for the picky details.

The drawback is, I dont have much exposure to switches and IGPs such as EIGRP/ OSPF. I will have to revisit ROUTE again before I do TSHOOT.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I don't have any certs or a college degree! I win!

I go through phases of being really interested in networking, and other phases where I want to come home, have a Sierra Nevada, and play xbox to forget about networking.

Most of what I do these days isn't even Cisco related; I spend most of my time doing F5 and Palo Alto work.

By the way, Palo Alto has the worst hold music. It's like a ten second casio keyboard dance beat that just repeats for INFINITY.

ragzilla posted:

Unless you're jwh in which case it means you get to deal with the braindead server guys who don't realize why it's a bad idea to extend a layer 2 between datacenters on different coasts.
They still bring this up all the time. It makes me want to murder.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

jwh posted:

I don't have any certs or a college degree! I win!

I go through phases of being really interested in networking, and other phases where I want to come home, have a Sierra Nevada, and play xbox to forget about networking.

Most of what I do these days isn't even Cisco related; I spend most of my time doing F5 and Palo Alto work.

By the way, Palo Alto has the worst hold music. It's like a ten second casio keyboard dance beat that just repeats for INFINITY.

They still bring this up all the time. It makes me want to murder.

Haha. When I was in TAC we setup our own CUCM cluster so we could beta test new features. This was awesome since we could set our own hold music. Muppet's theme always had one of two outcomes: laughter or rage. It was great.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I've long held that this is the best hold music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auS-ndWXLso&feature=related

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

jwh posted:

I've long held that this is the best hold music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auS-ndWXLso&feature=related

Oh man, that is really good!

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Had my first-ever TAC session, and apparently I've found/run into a bug already (was setting up an IPSec VPN, and couldn't get the loopback working so clients VPNed in could get back out to the internet). Out of curiosity, how often do these kind of things crop up?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Jimmy Carter posted:

Had my first-ever TAC session, and apparently I've found/run into a bug already (was setting up an IPSec VPN, and couldn't get the loopback working so clients VPNed in could get back out to the internet). Out of curiosity, how often do these kind of things crop up?

Uh. I dunno how to answer this. poo poo breaks with every vendor. Simple stuff that really should have been caught by dev test.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

You'll find bugs all the time. If you're bleeding edge enough you'll be the one reporting them for the first time too!

thiscommercialsucks
Jun 13, 2009

by T. Mascis

CheeseSpawn posted:

The drawback is, I dont have much exposure to switches and IGPs such as EIGRP/ OSPF. I will have to revisit ROUTE again before I do TSHOOT.
Good because you'll learn plenty about EIGRP and OSPF in the ROUTE cert, and the "basics" of BGP (which is still rather complicated.) They also took IS-IS out of ROUTE.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Bardlebee posted:

How long have you been working on this?

A couple of months, I picked up some books just before Christmas after getting my CCNP in November. If I can keep my current study rate, I may get the company to spring for a CCIE Written bootcamp as a final touch before I go and write the exam.

My big issue right now is a lot of really cool security poo poo keeps coming out and those blinking lights call to me. Soooo shiiiiinyyyyyy...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel like I have Cisco ADHD. I can't make myself focus on ROUTE before I start reading about MPLS, QoS, BGP, and all that poo poo. On one hand I'm learning a lot about a ton of interesting stuff. On the other hand I can only say I "know of" this technology because I can't make myself stick with anything long enough to practice it in any amount of detail.

Maybe once I finish skimming all my advanced material it'll actually make going back and doing ROUTE easier. I know I basically went through all of BSCI while I put off working on my CCNA and then it made my CCNA stuff super easy after the fact. Meh, guess we'll see.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

workape posted:

A couple of months, I picked up some books just before Christmas after getting my CCNP in November. If I can keep my current study rate, I may get the company to spring for a CCIE Written bootcamp as a final touch before I go and write the exam.

My big issue right now is a lot of really cool security poo poo keeps coming out and those blinking lights call to me. Soooo shiiiiinyyyyyy...

Out of curiosity, how are you studying for the lab? Do you have some practice labs from somewhere or is it your own set up?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Martytoof posted:

I feel like I have Cisco ADHD. I can't make myself focus on ROUTE before I start reading about MPLS, QoS, BGP, and all that poo poo. On one hand I'm learning a lot about a ton of interesting stuff. On the other hand I can only say I "know of" this technology because I can't make myself stick with anything long enough to practice it in any amount of detail.

Maybe once I finish skimming all my advanced material it'll actually make going back and doing ROUTE easier. I know I basically went through all of BSCI while I put off working on my CCNA and then it made my CCNA stuff super easy after the fact. Meh, guess we'll see.

BSCI is pretty rough. Because there are a lot of commands that give you similiar information, but perhaps not the specific information the question wants. Also Routing protocols are not intuitive, and when you get a series of questions about why OSPF would choose an E2 route over a lower cost E1 route you say to yourself "what the gently caress?" And you miss all 10.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On the upside, at least they pushed IS-IS off until CCIE when they restructured BSCI into ROUTE. Well, maybe that isn't really an upside :(

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
ISIS is not on the CCIE RS. It is in SP though.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

inignot posted:

Oddly enough for me this conjurers up images of preening MBA douche bags who babble on about synergizing the paradigms with forward looking customer empowerment strategies. Typically they accomplish very little while burning immense amounts of cash and time.
I don't think you know what a Solution Architect is.

A CCIE won't get you this job. A MBA would probably help you with soft skills, but anyone that's been in the tech game a while knows that's where the money is and always has been.

This is current, I pulled it off SEEK just then.

I don't think I really need to talk beyond this, A valid career path and with cloud services becoming more prevalent (as I've already said in this thread) don't fear the cloud, become the cloud.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Tony Montana posted:

I don't think you know what a Solution Architect is.

In his defense Tony, you have to admit IT as an industry has the most hosed up naming schemes known to man. It's not like the medical field where someone says Physician Assistant or Podiatrist and you know exactly what they do and a general idea of what they are capable of...

It is full of "Network Engineer" jobs that are just guys who run the cables. It is full of "Network Engineer" jobs who are just guys who look after a windows server, the routers/switches, and the computers. It is full of "Network Engineer" jobs that are really just people who look after a small business network.

And this is just one example. I could go on and on about "Network Technician" and "Network Analyst" or "Network Administrator". In the end, 7 out of 10 times I find the title does not match up with what it should be. I mean poo poo, my new job at this Army Center (if they ever call me goddammit!!) is called NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR! I mean come on! What am I going to be doing? Configuring and setting up of Cisco equipment and planning implementation for them. I am NOT going to be touching Windows/Unix and I am NOT going to be messing with some database. So what the gently caress?

Welcome to IT job names! :stare:

EDIT: Tony, the correct response should have been "No one knows what a Solution Architect could be". I admit, it does sound like some wind bag job. But the description is anything but that... another case and point.

Bardlebee fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 14, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

inignot posted:

ISIS is not on the CCIE RS. It is in SP though.

Oh whoops! So they actually relegated IS-IS to SP entirely, huh? Is there really no place for it outside of a provider environment?

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
Question:

I have a serious problem that is pissing me off. I have my 1811 router giving out DHCP information. It sends DNS IP info to the computers as well as the following 192.168.2.240 and 192.168.11.220. One DNS server is off-site in case one goes down an yada yada. The problem I am having is that at this one location half of the PC's come up with my ISP's DNS information!

So it will look like something like 66.46.143.156 (arbitrary numbers here) for the DNS info when I do a ipconfig /all.

When I do a ipconfig /release and /renew it fixes it, bringing back to MY DNS info like I want.

This causes some serious issues with people adding their own printer.

The way we have our router set up is like this:

NETWORK-----ROUTER----ISP ROUTER----DSL (INTERNET)

I don't know how the hell I am getting DNS info from my ISP on these machines. But I want to punch them. Additionally I don't have this setup at my other location and the DNS info works fine. It looks like this:

NETWORK-----ROUTER----CABLE (Internet)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can you put your config file on codepad or something?

thiscommercialsucks
Jun 13, 2009

by T. Mascis

Bardlebee posted:

Question:

I have a serious problem that is pissing me off.
Under ip dhcp pool whatever_your_pool_name_is try doing no import all. Actually before you do that, do a sh ip dhcp import and see what it says. I think I remember running into a similar problem where the DHCP server would import information gleaned from interfaces running a DHCP client (which in your case is probably the interface facing ISP ROUTER.) I'm not sure if I'm right here, but do you see what I'm saying? If the no import all command doesn't do anything, is it possible to set a static IP on the ROUTER interface that is facing ISP ROUTER? That should clear things up.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Martytoof posted:

Oh whoops! So they actually relegated IS-IS to SP entirely, huh? Is there really no place for it outside of a provider environment?

TRILL makes extensive use of ISIS. Expect it to come back to CCNP level stuff if TRILL content becomes CCNP level. I mostly see enterprises using EIGRP, or more rarely, OSPF.

ISIS is pretty nice for an SP environment, I'm trying to get our IGP moved over to ISIS at some point (v6 will be helpful here, since I have permission to set it up for IPv6 loopback distribution, rather than setting up OSPFv3)

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ruro posted:

You'll find bugs all the time. If you're bleeding edge enough you'll be the one reporting them for the first time too!

Having worked a lot with F5 and Netscalers I've found at least a few new bugs for each platform. Netscaler has been really good about implementing fixes for me though, which is pretty awesome.

As far as Cisco I've only run into one weird buggy issue that I couldn't find info on and they gave me a work around after a few days of debugging (turning off cef on the interface, what?)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ragzilla posted:

TRILL

Sounds like another thing I'll be reading about this weekend instead of practicing EIGRP/OSPF/BGP :q:

thiscommercialsucks
Jun 13, 2009

by T. Mascis

ragzilla posted:

TRILL makes extensive use of ISIS. Expect it to come back to CCNP level stuff if TRILL content becomes CCNP level.

My favorite Trill:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just made this very joke on Twitter. Must be incredibly predictable :(

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

thiscommercialsucks posted:

Under ip dhcp pool whatever_your_pool_name_is try doing no import all. Actually before you do that, do a sh ip dhcp import and see what it says. I think I remember running into a similar problem where the DHCP server would import information gleaned from interfaces running a DHCP client (which in your case is probably the interface facing ISP ROUTER.) I'm not sure if I'm right here, but do you see what I'm saying? If the no import all command doesn't do anything, is it possible to set a static IP on the ROUTER interface that is facing ISP ROUTER? That should clear things up.

EDIT: Scratch all this, your solution worked. I also used the following:

ip name-server 192.168.2.240 192.168.11.220
no ip import all
ip domain name <My domain server name>

But I don't know WHICH one fixed the problem. I suppose I could find out via trial and error. I guess I will have to figure out why.

Bardlebee fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 14, 2011

thiscommercialsucks
Jun 13, 2009

by T. Mascis
ip name-server is what the router itself uses for DNS lookups, like if you ping google.com from the CLI. That command is in global config mode ,e.g.

balls(config)#ip name-server 8.8.8.8

Same goes for ip domain-name e.g.

balls(config)#ip domain-name jiggled.net

[no] import all is under dhcp pool configuration and doesn't have "ip" in it. e.g.

balls(dhcp-config)#no import all

I'm glad things worked, I just wanted to clear up the commands since it's important. I'm pretty sure it was "no import all" that fixed the problem since, again, ip name-server sets the local DNS servers, and the default DHCP pool configuration setting of import all will import the router's local DNS servers and domain-name into the DHCP database. I think. Also it will import the domain-name and DNS settings from interfaces using ip address dhcp.

thiscommercialsucks fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 14, 2011

workape
Jul 23, 2002

abigserve posted:

Out of curiosity, how are you studying for the lab? Do you have some practice labs from somewhere or is it your own set up?

We just went through a refresh around my company so I have more gear coming in, but here is what I have on my desk right now:

2x 2801
1x 2811
1x 3845
1x 3925
2x 2610XM
1x 3560
1x 2924xl

I've got more kit that is supposed to be showing up in the next couple of weeks and I am going to start building out my lab. Incidently I found an old 3600 up stairs that is being used for something retarded so I am going to replace it and pull it into my lab setup as well.

On a more technical note, I got DCNM set up this morning and it is pretty damned cool. The discovery feature worked perfectly, my only complaint is that the documentation for installing it is over 100 pages for what really amounted to I think about a 12 dozen steps. Looking at it, I really wish I would have been able to get it operational before I went live with the gear in the Data Center. There are some buttons I really want to push and see what they do, but I'd rather not dork up my prod environment.

thiscommercialsucks
Jun 13, 2009

by T. Mascis

workape posted:

DCNM
How do I get this. Also have you ever set up something like OpenNMS (painful) or Zenoss? How does it compare? Does it only talk with Cisco devices or can you import SNMP MIBs? Sorry for the gay questions I just wanted your opinion.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

How do I get this. Also have you ever set up something like OpenNMS (painful) or Zenoss? How does it compare? Does it only talk with Cisco devices or can you import SNMP MIBs? Sorry for the gay questions I just wanted your opinion.

I've tried OpenNMS and it really was a complete pain in the rear end. As near as I can tell, DCNM only manages the Nexus products, but I've only got about 7 hours of work into it so I am not 100% sure. I am going to see if I can get it to manage some of my routers as well just for discovery and monitoring.

brent78
Jun 23, 2004

I killed your cat, you druggie bitch.
I need to find a contractor in the Sacramento, CA area that can do some BGP/routing work on some 3800's. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bardlebee posted:

In his defense Tony, you have to admit IT as an industry has the most hosed up naming schemes known to man. It's not like the medical field where someone says Physician Assistant or Podiatrist and you know exactly what they do and a general idea of what they are capable of...

It is full of "Network Engineer" jobs that are just guys who run the cables. It is full of "Network Engineer" jobs who are just guys who look after a windows server, the routers/switches, and the computers. It is full of "Network Engineer" jobs that are really just people who look after a small business network.

And this is just one example. I could go on and on about "Network Technician" and "Network Analyst" or "Network Administrator". In the end, 7 out of 10 times I find the title does not match up with what it should be. I mean poo poo, my new job at this Army Center (if they ever call me goddammit!!) is called NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR! I mean come on! What am I going to be doing? Configuring and setting up of Cisco equipment and planning implementation for them. I am NOT going to be touching Windows/Unix and I am NOT going to be messing with some database. So what the gently caress?

Welcome to IT job names! :stare:

EDIT: Tony, the correct response should have been "No one knows what a Solution Architect could be". I admit, it does sound like some wind bag job. But the description is anything but that... another case and point.

This is what I meant when I said earlier 'be brutal as gently caress'. I don't mean be a smug dickhead, I mean know that most companies don't even know what IT is and its up to you to make sure you're not getting dicked when you rock up for your first day.

I do find this is once again an IT companies vs internal IT thing, where doing IT for IT companies is superior because management the people that drive the ship are IT people themselves and understand your motivations and pain. Its also more fun because they really understand why you do what you do and can ride waves of innovation without getting caught up in all the buzzwords and bullshit. Engineers rule at IT companies (or the ones I've worked at anyway) and everyone takes a backseat to the technical people, because we make the money and we do the work. Salespeople, business people and even management ask us careful quesitons about what we think should be done next and why a new technology would be good for a client, etc. Obviously you've gotta find a good firm for it to be like that, but once you do it pretty much rocks in comparison to fulfilling often mindless direction floating down from on high in some mega-corporation.

Solution Architect pretty much always means what I showed in that ad. A super-engineer across multiple disciplines who can design from go to whoa, explain it all in a presentation and meet with key stakeholders without coming across as a geek. Obviously this is a pretty hardcore ask and hence you get paid toward a quarter of a million dollars a yet. Back to what I said at the beginning of this post, if someone is calling the position a Solution Architect and that's not what it is it's up to you to call them out.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

brent78 posted:

I need to find a contractor in the Sacramento, CA area that can do some BGP/routing work on some 3800's. Can someone point me in the right direction?

How are you paying them? I'll ask if anyone is interested in pulling a side gig.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

ip name-server is what the router itself uses for DNS lookups, like if you ping google.com from the CLI. That command is in global config mode ,e.g.

balls(config)#ip name-server 8.8.8.8

Same goes for ip domain-name e.g.

balls(config)#ip domain-name jiggled.net

[no] import all is under dhcp pool configuration and doesn't have "ip" in it. e.g.

balls(dhcp-config)#no import all

I'm glad things worked, I just wanted to clear up the commands since it's important. I'm pretty sure it was "no import all" that fixed the problem since, again, ip name-server sets the local DNS servers, and the default DHCP pool configuration setting of import all will import the router's local DNS servers and domain-name into the DHCP database. I think. Also it will import the domain-name and DNS settings from interfaces using ip address dhcp.

Thanks for defining this for me. It's strange that import all didn't show up after I said "No import all" usually it should if its not default right?

brent78
Jun 23, 2004

I killed your cat, you druggie bitch.

Tremblay posted:

How are you paying them? I'll ask if anyone is interested in pulling a side gig.
Cold hard cash US American dollars, even if they aren't worth poo poo these days.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

brent78 posted:

Cold hard cash US American dollars, even if they aren't worth poo poo these days.

Email me: jbusby@gmail.com I know a few guys in that area that could pull it off.

ps, boiler up.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

brent78 posted:

I'll do it if you don't mind me doing everything remote <_< (from Australia)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

Engineers rule at IT companies (or the ones I've worked at anyway) and everyone takes a backseat to the technical people, because we make the money and we do the work. Salespeople, business people and even management ask us careful quesitons about what we think should be done next and why a new technology would be good for a client, etc.

What magical company do you work at?