Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

More thoughts on crossovers...

xzzy posted:

Do I just gotta get skinnier legs? Is a technique thing I gotta sort out? Is there a difference in feel between hockey skates and figure skates?

I have the same problem as you as far as not having toothpick legs goes. There's been some great advice from guys probably a lot more qualified than me already (I just started skating last April, so I've only been at this a year), but. One of my skating instructors in my first learn-to-skate class suggested practicing crossovers off the ice by walking sideways up a staircase in my skates (leave your soakers on, though). So if you have access to a staircase, that might be a way to do some practicing when you can't get ice time.

bewbies, thanks so much for this thread. I have found some dead useful info in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nick Cage posted:

(
)
(
)

shape turning on your outside edges.

So I made a go of this at lunch, and think I need more details. Does this practice come from a book I can buy, or is there a youtube somewhere that illustrates the exercise?

I'm just not sure where my balance should be. If the "(" curve is supposed to be done on my right foot, as I suspect it is, my balance still needs a lot of work because I took a number of spills trying to get it right. Either due to balancing on the wrong part of the foot, or bad posture, whatever.

I'm fine with falling down, but I want to be sure it's due to needing practice and not due to doing it completely wrong.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

So I made a go of this at lunch, and think I need more details. Does this practice come from a book I can buy, or is there a youtube somewhere that illustrates the exercise?

I'm just not sure where my balance should be. If the "(" curve is supposed to be done on my right foot, as I suspect it is, my balance still needs a lot of work because I took a number of spills trying to get it right. Either due to balancing on the wrong part of the foot, or bad posture, whatever.

I'm fine with falling down, but I want to be sure it's due to needing practice and not due to doing it completely wrong.

Yeah, you're supposed to do the ( curve on your right foot to work the outside edge. Here's a sort-of extreme example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV5v8-Na8vI&feature=related Obviously you don't need to make that big of a curve when you're just starting. It's definitely tough to figure out how to get on and stay on the outside edge.

The Laura Stamm stuff is pretty good, there's a book and DVD.
http://www.amazon.com/Laura-Stamms-Power-Skating-DVD/dp/B000HT201G/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

http://www.amazon.com/Laura-Stamms-Power-Skating-4th/dp/0736076204/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302806699&sr=8-1

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is another good one, it gives me nightmares. We used to have to do this until we couldn't feel our legs anymore :(

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Thufir posted:

Yeah, you're supposed to do the ( curve on your right foot to work the outside edge. Here's a sort-of extreme example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV5v8-Na8vI&feature=related Obviously you don't need to make that big of a curve when you're just starting. It's definitely tough to figure out how to get on and stay on the outside edge.

The Laura Stamm stuff is pretty good, there's a book and DVD.
http://www.amazon.com/Laura-Stamms-Power-Skating-DVD/dp/B000HT201G/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

http://www.amazon.com/Laura-Stamms-Power-Skating-4th/dp/0736076204/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302806699&sr=8-1
Yes, outside edges are supposed to be hard. It's what separates the men (i.e. that young girl in the video) from the boys (i.e. half the grown men on your beer league team).

Stamm has a lot of good stuff. Good drills that focus on the little parts of your skating.

bewbies posted:

This is another good one, it gives me nightmares. We used to have to do this until we couldn't feel our legs anymore :(
This drill is such a loving bitch. So hard. You have to have very good balance to be able to do that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bewbies posted:

Christ...

I'm taking a power-skating class right now and one session she bungee'd our ankles together and tried doing:
((
))
((
))
((

So goddamn hard, everyone was falling over.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Christ...

I'm taking a power-skating class right now and one session she bungee'd our ankles together and tried doing:
((
))
((
))
((

So goddamn hard, everyone was falling over.

What is her name?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

Jesus gently caress, I'm gonna need some leg pads if that's where I want to be in the long run. I whacked my knee pretty good today and it's already sore.. doing anything like that (or the video Thufir posted) I'm gonna need to find some way to not bruise myself falling. I'm just not confident enough to throw my balance around that much, and I think it's limiting how far I'm willing to push.

Does anyone make "practice pads" that I can strap over my jeans when I go to a lunch skate, or are full shin guards the only way to go? Something for elbows would be nice too.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

poser posted:

What is her name?

Sadistic Bitch, apparently.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

poser posted:

What is her name?

Alyssa, she's a figure skater. I can never feel my legs afterward :cry:

redlandmover
Mar 28, 2010

Habibi posted:

Sadistic Bitch, apparently.

THIS!!!

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

bewbies posted:

Hahaha gently caress this drill forever. I've got a crap knee and when I do this all I think is "Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch."

xzzy posted:

"practice pads"

You should be able to get full shin guards and some hockey elbows pretty cheap, otherwise you can try going to a skate shop (as in skateboard) and just buy some hard plastic knee and elbow pads. You definitely want to minimize that fear of falling to improve as fast as possible, most of the falls I see beginners make is because of not trusting their edges enough, not shifting their weight enough, not committing when they'd be fine if they just weren't so freaked out about maybe falling over.

As everyones already reiterated, don't be put off by the outside edge drill, outside edges are supposed to be hard and getting used to them will make a big difference.

Bend your knees more.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got a great shooting drill from a guy I play with who has an absolutely killer snap shot, it is a great way to learn the mechanics of flexing the stick and moving the blade.

Get some pucks and set up at about the top of the circles. Angle both of your feet parallel to the goal line (if you're a right handed shot, they'll be facing directly at the right side boards). You then shoot; you start with the puck literally behind your butt (just behind the front foot heel) and try to let it go as hard as you can by flexing the stick off the toe and launching it. You'll find out very quickly if you're shoveling it (it won't go anywhere), flipping it (it will flutter and probably go over the net), or maximizing your energy transfer. Since you can't move your feet you're not getting any weight transfer, so you're entirely dependent on your wrists and stick to shoot the puck.

If you practice this until you can reliably hit corners while doing this, you're going to have a very useful snapper. He worked with a couple of guys with mediocre shots for about 10 minutes, and their improvement was noticeable during this really brief lesson. I did it for about half an hour after our game and I felt like I was shooting it better also.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
"Behind your butt" like the puck is really behind you?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

gigabitnokie posted:

"Behind your butt" like the puck is really behind you?

Yeah. Here I made an MSPaint diagram

You're facing the direction of the red arrow, the black things are your skates. I think this makes sense, let me know if it is confusing.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

bewbies posted:

You're facing the direction of the red arrow, the black things are your skates. I think this makes sense, let me know if it is confusing.

This is confusing.

if the red circles are my hands and the puck is behind me and I am facing in the direction of the thin red arrow, I am Gumby.

This all makes sense if I am facing the other way but you've said the opposite

OHHHH, I get it I think. Shoulders square to the net, feet point to the boards, reach back, wrist only.

This is much more doable than I previously imagined

oddIXIbbo fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 15, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

oddIXIbbo posted:

This is confusing.

if the red circles are my hands and the puck is behind me and I am facing in the direction of the thin red arrow, I am Gumby.

This all makes sense if I am facing the other way but you've said the opposite

I don't have a stick with me here at work but I'm pretty sure I can do that without being particularly flexible.

Edit: try turning your shoulders a little bit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I assume there's a lot of torso twisting in the exercise. You can definitely get the stick behind you if you need too.

I'm just not sure how it helps with snap shots. :iiam:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

bewbies posted:

Oh, I get it now. You aren't shooting the puck forward. You should mention that next time you explain it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, you turn your torso so your chest is facing the target, feet remain facing parallel to the goal line.

It is useful because it really forces you to use the flex of the stick to shoot as you can't use your legs/weight shift to get any velocity. After working like this for a while and then going back to a normal shooting technique you'll be shocked how much easier it is.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Now I just want to go work on that and outside edge drills but there's no stick and puck time on the rink calendar at the moment :(

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

Now I just want to go work on that and outside edge drills but there's no stick and puck time on the rink calendar at the moment :(

Everything at my rink got canceled today because of some stupid figure skating bullshit thing so now I have almost nothing to do for the next nine hours which is agonizing

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Everything at my rink got canceled today because of some stupid figure skating bullshit thing so now I have almost nothing to do for the next nine hours which is agonizing

At least I have my skills clinic tomorrow morning. At 6:50 AM. Roughly 6.5 hours after the expected regulation end of Preds-Ducks :doh:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

At least I have my skills clinic tomorrow morning. At 6:50 AM. Roughly 6.5 hours after the expected regulation end of Preds-Ducks :doh:

if my rink had a skills clinic at 6:50am i'd be there all the time. and i'm a college student so that's like torture, really

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Lawnie posted:

if my rink had a skills clinic at 6:50am i'd be there all the time. and i'm a college student so that's like torture, really

It's kind of expensive and they only run it for 4-6 weeks at a time, apparently depending on the whims of the director of hockey but it's a lot of fun and has been really helpful. 6:50 is an improvement, it used to be at 6:00.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
One of my favorite drills is to practice shooting on the net with your body positioned behind the goal line.

Forehand, Backhand, etc. Really improves accurracy, forces you to try shooting from an akward angle considering all you see is the side of the net when shooting, it forces you to blindly figure out how to make the shot without having to see it.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
This

bewbies posted:

And this

Verman posted:

are both awesome. I wish the Caps would stop having playoff games on nights I usually play hockey.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I can't stop laughing at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZcUcw7rDuw&feature=related

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

trilljester posted:

I can't stop laughing at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZcUcw7rDuw&feature=related

This guy seriously knows how to stroke it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's like an old car chase where they speed up the film to make it look faster.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I liked the "catch the falling glove" drill.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
I signed up for a beginner class but I have no idea what people wear to these things. Do I need hockey pants? Will sweatpants suffice or make me look like even more of a doofus? Excellent op by the way. Makes me wish I'd gone to the rink a few times leading up to this.

robcat fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 16, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

robcat posted:

I signed up for a beginner class in Oakland but I have no idea what people wear to these things. Do I need hockey pants? Will sweatpants suffice or make me look like even more of a doofus? Excellent op by the way. Makes me wish I'd gone to the rink a few times leading up to this.

I would get at least: Gloves, shin/knee pads, elbow pads, helmet, stick. They might not let you on the ice without that stuff, definitely need a helmet. If you're committed to playing hockey might as well start looking for hockey pants too.

edit: and a CUP!

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
The site said gear may be available for per-session use in the class so I'm hoping they just have some crappy old things to use. Definitely getting a cup though...that's not really an ideal "borrowed" piece of equipment.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Just pulled the trigger on some X:40 skates to replace my X:20s that I've realized are 1/2 size too big. Anyone ever bake your own skates at home? Ice Warehouse has a video guide that makes it not look too hard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBqRt701oZQ

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Thufir posted:

Just pulled the trigger on some X:40 skates to replace my X:20s that I've realized are 1/2 size too big. Anyone ever bake your own skates at home? Ice Warehouse has a video guide that makes it not look too hard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBqRt701oZQ

That's almost exactly what I do (I do 200 for 5 minutes because my oven is dumb) and you're right, it's really simple.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

Just be very careful with the temps, better to pull it out too soon and have to put it back in than to have it get too hot. Also make sure you pull OUT on the laces and not UP, pulling up will sometimes rip out the eyelets.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

bewbies posted:

Yeah, you turn your torso so your chest is facing the target, feet remain facing parallel to the goal line.

It is useful because it really forces you to use the flex of the stick to shoot as you can't use your legs/weight shift to get any velocity. After working like this for a while and then going back to a normal shooting technique you'll be shocked how much easier it is.

Was screwing around in the basement and remembered to try this, seemed to help, will see when next time at the rink/court since I only have about 15ft to shoot inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Being the only team in the league who doesn't play with any ringers is awesome.

Lost 7-4 last night. Two ringers scored 6 of their 7 goals, one of them had 4. We ended up outshooting them too. :sigh: