Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Brennanite posted:

Where do you guys find nice, inexpensive maternity clothes? I don't want anything fancy, just semi-fashionable and not $$$. I think others have mentioned Target, but mine sucks. A row of plain tees and a rack of capris does not a maternity section make!

My favourite stuff for maternity were probably yoga pants. Not officially maternity, but they have lycra in them (or something stretchy, whatever), I could pull them below my belly and wear them postpartum while I lose the baby weight. I also liked nursing tanks. I had a problem finding maternity wear that was awesome and not a zillion dollars, because there are some truly great things if you're willing to fork out the cash :( . For work, I just modified some of my lab shirts by adding matching fabric panels. Sort of made them into A-line tops, but it got the job done.

ETA: In terms of dressing up, open cardigans, scarves and hoop earring/various accessories were what I used to make me not look like a total slob. I was lucky because it's a lot easier to layer in winter with that sort of stuff over neutral and plain maternity clothing.

ChloroformSeduction fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Ooo, those are all good suggestions. Turns out Old Navy and Gap maternity items are on sale today, so I picked up a couple of nice shirts, a swimsuit and a dress for my graduation. Hopefully I'll be able to find some shorts at Penney's over the weekend and finally have clothes that fit again. Hurray!

Also, ChloroformSeduction, yoga pants are awesome and if I didn't live on the surface of the sun, I would never wear anything else. Instead, getting dressed is a delicate balance between naked and work-appropriate.

Never be pregnant in the summer. :(

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

Brennanite posted:

Ooo, those are all good suggestions. Turns out Old Navy and Gap maternity items are on sale today, so I picked up a couple of nice shirts, a swimsuit and a dress for my graduation. Hopefully I'll be able to find some shorts at Penney's over the weekend and finally have clothes that fit again. Hurray!

Also, ChloroformSeduction, yoga pants are awesome and if I didn't live on the surface of the sun, I would never wear anything else. Instead, getting dressed is a delicate balance between naked and work-appropriate.

Never be pregnant in the summer. :(

I'd have to disagree on being pregnant over the summer, at least in Indiana. I would much rather be able to run around in skirts/shorts/tank tops than have to wear 80 million layers of clothes and worry about falling on the ice and busting my rear end.

Another suggestion I have is to keep an eye on Motherhood Maternity's sales. I've been a few times and picked up some maternity jeans and pants for BOGO marked down to $15.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

ChloroformSeduction posted:

My favourite stuff for maternity were probably yoga pants. Not officially maternity, but they have lycra in them (or something stretchy, whatever), I could pull them below my belly and wear them postpartum while I lose the baby weight. I also liked nursing tanks.

These were also my 2 favorites pre and post pregnancy. I love the maternity tops Target carries cause they offer good support and are under $20. I still wear mine all of the time and they're both holding up really well.

I, too, preferred being pregnant in the summer. I fell at least 2 times early in my pregnancy on ice. Yea, no thanks. D: However, I was also lucky to have a mild Indiana summer pregnancy 2 years ago whereas dreamcatcherkwe had a lovely Indiana summer pregnancy (100% humidity and 95+ degree weather no thanks!) last year. Aericina, here's hoping we have a mild summer yet again this year.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I lived in leggings and floaty long tops / short dresses for the last three months of pregnancy, it was possibly the most femininely dressed I have ever been.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
It's entirely possible that I still live in yoga pants now, a year postpartum. :blush:

I also live in the desert aka the surface of the sun.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Fire In The Disco posted:

It's entirely possible that I still live in yoga pants now, a year postpartum. :blush:

I also live in the desert aka the surface of the sun.

Liam's almost 4 and I'm still wearing nursing bras and maternity tops. I'd be wearing the pants too if they didn't fall off me all the time. I'm too cheap to buy new clothes, all my monies go to my kid.

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 14, 2011

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Wife had a second ultrasound today. 8 weeks along, and we got to see a heartbeat.

So awesome. :)

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Juanito posted:

Wife had a second ultrasound today. 8 weeks along, and we got to see a heartbeat.

My wife is at 8 weeks too.. have you told anyone?

Only her sister knows, we're planning on telling our mothers on Mother's Day (8th May here). Not telling anyone is killing me.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Whitey Ford posted:

Only her sister knows, we're planning on telling our mothers on Mother's Day (8th May here). Not telling anyone is killing me.
Our parents knew at 4 weeks. :) And with the heartbeat confirmation, we've told siblings today. Yes, it's very early. But we can't keep it a secret, it's too exciting for us and our immediate families. Everybody is thrilled. :)

I know your mothers will be so thrilled on Mother's Day. I told my mom via chat (since I didn't want to wait until after work) and she used all caps for about 10 minutes.

deadhoarse
Oct 18, 2004
We had our first child a few weeks back. Everything's going well so far, he's well behaved...eating and sleeping well. I may just be worrying too much, but something has been bothering me.

During labor, the doctor noticed his heartbeat dropping a bit, so he put a fetal scalp monitor on to keep a closer eye on the heartbeat. Everything was fine after that, he was delivered soon after. But today I noticed that I can still see a bit of a scab where they attached the monitor. I'm concerned that it's going to leave a mark, and that he won't ever be able to wear a buzz cut without a bald patch showing. Has anyone here had a scalp electrode/monitor attached to their child? Did it leave any lasting marks?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

deadhoarse posted:

We had our first child a few weeks back. Everything's going well so far, he's well behaved...eating and sleeping well. I may just be worrying too much, but something has been bothering me.

During labor, the doctor noticed his heartbeat dropping a bit, so he put a fetal scalp monitor on to keep a closer eye on the heartbeat. Everything was fine after that, he was delivered soon after. But today I noticed that I can still see a bit of a scab where they attached the monitor. I'm concerned that it's going to leave a mark, and that he won't ever be able to wear a buzz cut without a bald patch showing. Has anyone here had a scalp electrode/monitor attached to their child? Did it leave any lasting marks?

In short, yes I have, and no it didn't. :D

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Juanito posted:

Congrats man, I remember feeling my own heart jump into my throat the first time I heard the heartbeat. We didn't tell anyone until like, maybe three and a half months again but at least part of that was because announcing right before her sister's wedding would be a dick move so just close family knew. It is awesome, and it just gets awesomer, and at the end you get this (just three days new):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

deadhoarse posted:

Grayson still has a scab from his, don't worry about it. The "clip" is actually a small corkscrew that screws into the scalp, so it's going to take a bit to heal.

Edit: You can see it at the end here:

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Whitey Ford posted:

I'm at 8 weeks as well! We're going to have a bunch of goon babies in November, I guess! I've already told all of the parents like two weeks ago, and gave them the go-ahead to spread the good news (with the caveat that if I have a miscarriage or something, it's their job to go back and spread the lovely news too). We're waiting to tell most of our friends and coworkers for another few weeks since I haven't been in yet for my ultrasound. I may wait until Mother's Day before I start writing about it on my blog or mentioning it on facebook.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Looks like Valentine's Day was a pretty special time for many goon households. I got knocked up last year around the same time as well, and announcing it to our families on Mother's Day was pretty awesome.

Congrats to all the November babies!

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

I'm also 8 weeks pregnant and it looks like we're having twins (fraternal). We've told our parents and my brother, but we're keeping it from everyone else until we're out of the first trimester. We are very private people who don't really like sympathy, so we wouldn't want to deal with that if anything happened to one or both of the twins.

I'm still very hesitant in my excited. My husband and I tried to get pregnant for a year and a half, including fertility treatments, and then I had to have surgery when I was 4 weeks pregnant (we found out I was pregnant while in the ER) because I had an ovarian torsion and a burst cyst that caused me so much internal bleeding that I lost 70% of my blood and needed three transfusions. So yes, we're still being very cautious.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Grayscale, I'm glad you made it this far even after the surgery and everything. I hope everything else goes well for the rest of your pregnancy.

I'm also 8 weeks now, so I guess there'll be an explosion of November goon babies. My first appointment is on Tuesday and I'm excited and nervous at the same time; though I do believe it's just blood draws/family history on Tuesday and I may not get the physical exam until a week later when I meet with my OB. I'm still debating on telling my parents on Mother's day or waiting until we see them in June and I'm definitely out of the first trimester to tell them in person.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
I know I read that some women can develop diarrhea towards the end of their pregnancy, but what about nausea? For the past two days I've woken up feeling awful. Is this something I should be concerned about? Shall I email my doctor or just wait until my appointment on Wednesday? I'm 39 weeks along.

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

foxatee posted:

I know I read that some women can develop diarrhea towards the end of their pregnancy, but what about nausea? For the past two days I've woken up feeling awful. Is this something I should be concerned about? Shall I email my doctor or just wait until my appointment on Wednesday? I'm 39 weeks along.

You can become nauseous because your stomach is getting all smushed up and pushed out of place by the uterus. Someone said in the other thread that 1st tri morning sickness is hormonal, and 3rd tri sickness is mechanical.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
I feel so, so terrible when Grayson is stuffed up. For the past two nights it has sounded like he's got really nasty mucus in his sinuses, whenever he tries to breathe through his mouth he makes that frog noise, whenever he tries to breathe through his nose it sounds awfully tough.

We cleared him out with an aspirator and it helped but last night we had the same problem again.

I almost think it's our humidifier causing it...

A Serious Woman
Sep 9, 2010

MarshallX posted:

I feel so, so terrible when Grayson is stuffed up. For the past two nights it has sounded like he's got really nasty mucus in his sinuses, whenever he tries to breathe through his mouth he makes that frog noise, whenever he tries to breathe through his nose it sounds awfully tough.

We cleared him out with an aspirator and it helped but last night we had the same problem again.

Zoey had the same issues. We turned the humidifer off and it went away within a day or two. Sometimes I found even the aspirator wouldn't really work and she'd be laying through snorting. I called our provinical telehealth line (Ontario, I think you're in the province as well?) and the health nurse told me to use a few drops off saline. I picked up a bottle for less than $10 at Shoppers. Everytime I use it on her, she instantly sneezes out tons of boogers. Maybe this might work for Grayson?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

MarshallX posted:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/vicks-vapopads-refill-pads/ID=prod6000966-product

I use these things in both the kids rooms at night when they're stuffy. I couldn't find a link for the plug-in for them in your wall, but they're all on the shelf together. I assume you can get them in Canada, but I might be wrong. They smell better than adult Vicks!

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
I'm also due in November - Currently 11 weeks pregnant.

Is anybody else suffering from crippling morning (and afternoon, and evening) sickness, and found a magic cure? I'm hoping the magic week 12 that everyone keeps telling me about will mean the end of my nausea. I've tried all of the obvious things (ginger, tea, saltines, eating frequently) and have 2 prescriptions from the doc but it rarely works.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Making the world a better place... with cookies!

yawnie posted:

Is anybody else suffering from crippling morning (and afternoon, and evening) sickness, and found a magic cure? I'm hoping the magic week 12 that everyone keeps telling me about will mean the end of my nausea. I've tried all of the obvious things (ginger, tea, saltines, eating frequently) and have 2 prescriptions from the doc but it rarely works.

I never found a magic cure, and 12 weeks came and went with no relief. I ended up being sick until two weeks before I delivered. I had one prescription that actually seemed to make it worse, but the second one helped, so if you're already on that course you might just need to try something different. Sea bands helped me immensely, I wore them from the time I woke up until I went to bed, except for in the shower.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

yawnie posted:

My morning sickness seems to be getting a tad better finally, but my daily routine has had to change too. I feel like I'm constantly snacking on something; the longer I go between meals the worse I feel. If something needs to get done, I have to do it immediately after eating. I'm usually useless after dinner though - nothing seems to help in the evenings. When it's too awful to deal with, I just put on a Hypnobabies track and try to fall asleep.

Lrigwoc
Aug 16, 2007
Reverse
Is there one pregnancy book in particular that anyone would recommend for the pregnancy itself and maybe the first couple of months? Amazon is...overwhelming, to say the least. I was hoping to find what basically amounts to a "pregnancy bible", but I am quickly beginning to realize that may not even exist.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I am halfway through http://www.amazon.com/Mother-All-Pregnancy-Books-Conception/dp/0764565168/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303250756&sr=8-1 and I think it's pretty good so far. It's more practical/sensible compared with some of the other omg you must not drink caffeine or eat cheese or breathe nail polish fumes.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I'd go to the bookstore and see what there is..

I just bought this book yesterday at Borders, because my wife had checked out and liked it.
Your Pregnancy Week by Week.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0738211095/

It's got a lot of information, and it's easy to read. Each week is a separate chapter.

We also have What to Expect When You're Expecting, this would probably be more of a general pregnancy book. Tons of info.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Your Pregnancy Week by Week is a good one. I liked that one a lot when I was pregnant. My day that started a new week of pregnancy was Tuesday, so Monday nights my husband and I would read the next chapter to see what was going on the upcoming week. :3:

As for books about the first couple of months, I would suggest "The Happiest Baby on the Block" (they have a DVD as well if that's preferable) and Dr. Sears' "The Attachment Parenting Book."

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002
me gusta besar el pollo desnudo!!
I liked Dr. Sears's Baby Book a lot: http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Book-Everything-Revised-Updated/dp/0316778001/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303259875&sr=8-1

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Making the world a better place... with cookies!
I like Vicki Iovine's The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. I don't have a favorite general baby book, but anything Dr. Sears is probably good and I also like The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley.

Lrigwoc
Aug 16, 2007
Reverse
Thanks for the suggestions, ya'll. I ended up getting a Dr. Sears book for now. Haven't decided on an actual pregnancy book.

And I'm the guy in this relationship.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

Lrigwoc posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, ya'll. I ended up getting a Dr. Sears book for now. Haven't decided on an actual pregnancy book.

And I'm the guy in this relationship.

For the guy in the relationship especially, you can learn a lot from The Birth Partner. I had the book throughout late pregnancy but only started reading it at 37 weeks... and went into labor at 38 weeks, so I'm sure I missed out on a lot of good stuff in the second half of the book. My husband is not a book reader, though, so I just read it in bed while he was playing a video game and asked him periodically if he knew about X thing; if he said no he'd pause and I could read it to him or talk to him about it. We also read and practiced with Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way, but that was a pretty specific book tailored to the type of labor and birth we wanted.

untitled
Jun 4, 2004

Feet!!! Not that I'm into that sort of thing....

yawnie posted:

It was about week 14 for me, nothing really helped much. It does end for most women, so hang in there. I had a miserable time with it, so you def. have my sympathy.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I liked the Mayo Clinic guide to pregnancy. If you plan on breastfeeding, I suggest picking up a copy of the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I am currently reading it, wish I would have read it when I was pregnant, instead of when I was trying to learn to breastfeeding.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
My wife didn't do well on a 1 hour glucose test, next week she'll have to take a 3 hour glucose test, hopefully all will be fine. Her mom has had serious issues with diabetes though, so we'll have to worry until we get the results.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
I failed my 1 hour glucose, but passed the 3 hour. The failure rate for the 1 hour is relatively high (25%), but the percentage that go on to fail the 3 hour and be diagnosed is in the single digits (~4%). Don't worry too much! Also, certainly gestational diabetes is not to be taken lightly, but the real danger is in having it and not knowing it. If you know, you can manage it with diet and/or medication and be healthy and have a healthy baby just the same.

The bummer for me was they make you drink an even stronger glucose solution for the 3 hour that is something akin to drinking Karo syrup right out of the bottle. Then you're just sitting there doing nothing while getting stuck every hour. And the baby goes bonkers when all that sugar hits your bloodstream! :D (Okay, so that's kinda funny and neato...)

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011
I too failed my 1 hour glucose test and then passed my 3 hour with flying colors. The hardest part of the three hour test for me was the sweet drink took my morning sickness to a whole new level and I had to fight to keep it down.

Hopefully your wife will have a good result in the 3 hour, though GD is definitely manageable. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Thanks for the replies. I shared them with her and I think she's a bit more relaxed about it. She's going to do this Tuesday morning. I forgot to ask when I booked this, but do you think she can take her prenatal vitamins the morning of, or should she probably skip those as well? I'm guessing skip..