Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Vegard posted:

Nogueira is a saint and even he lost his temper on TUF. I have no idea what you want from the man.

To not break people's arms and get Chute Boxe in trouble for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

The original question was about wrestling in an MMA context, hence the term "MMA Wrestler". Josh is better.

German suplexes performed in an MMA context -

Koscheck: 0
Severn: 2

Severn is clearly the superior wrestler

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Well, with that bit of information yes, Dan Severn is a better MMA wrestler.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Former UFC Superfight Champion Dangerous Dan The Beast Severn is 52 years old, 98-16-7 and recently won the prestigious Elite-1 MMA Heavyweight Championship. In addition, he defeated the seasoned veteran Cal Worsham via unanimous decision in February. He already has 2 fights scheduled within the next month.

Has Josh Koscheck ever won a belt in MMA?

Vegard
Mar 20, 2011

henkman posted:

Sometimes these things happen in MMA.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

henkman posted:

To be fair to Coleman, I really don`t think he realized Shoguns arm was injured. Once he stepped back a realized, the only reason he got all angry and roid-ragey was because someone from Shogun`s corner (Ninja?) was in his face and shouting at him.

I can understand both sides being upset but its not like Coleman purposely double legged Shogun so his arm would break and a riot would happen.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
He a threw tiny japanese ref to the side like he was Brett Rogers. That's not something the World's Nicest Man Would do

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

henkman posted:

He a threw tiny japanese ref to the side like he was Brett Rogers. That's not something the World's Nicest Man Would do
I think you are this tiny japanese ref.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'm merely interested in the well-being of MMA. A roidraging purple Ohioan is not good for this sport. Anyone who loses to Randy Couture is not good for this sport.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Chuck Lidell has been terrible for the sport of MMA

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
He later beat Randy. Twice. He's a good man doing God's work.

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

henkman posted:

He later beat Randy. Twice. He's a good man doing God's work.

that's a much better avatar, kudos

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Alright, an actual combat sports question.

Say you're Dan Hardy training for GSP.

He's going to wrestle the poo poo out you, if he gets on top of you, that round is essentially over.

Your striking isn't sharp enough to be competitive, and you don't have that one-shot KO power to even make it a hail mary option.

Why wouldn't you just train kneeing people in the face everytime they shoot a double? Just stink up the joint circling backwards, and the second you see his shoulders drop, throw the knee.

Isn't this essentially the strategy employed in the Aoki/Anime match?

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.
I'd say that against a smart fighter like GSP that's a great way to lose a decision.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Street Horrrsing posted:

Alright, an actual combat sports question.

He's going to wrestle the poo poo out you, if he gets on top of you, that round is essentially over.

Your striking isn't sharp enough to be competitive, and you don't have that one-shot KO power to even make it a hail mary option.

Why wouldn't you just train kneeing people in the face everytime they shoot a double? Just stink up the joint circling backwards, and the second you see his shoulders drop, throw the knee.

I tend to agree, I would also train the gently caress out of guillotines or any sub you can hopefully snatch off a takedown.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Except GSP isn't stupid and the first time he sees that he's just going to stay standing and out point you.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Street Horrrsing posted:

Aoki doesn't have a great chin and started the round off by shooting from several feet away (his wrestling is okay but he doesn't have a shot like Chael or GSP, and his standup isn't good enough to help him close the distance on a K-1 level striker)

The other thing about a gameplan revolving around kneeing a wrestler is that if you aren't fast enough or if the other guy's chin is good enough, they WILL put you on your back. IIRC Mir hurt Brock with a knee in their rematch, but essentially gave Brock a free takedown which he used to finish the fight just a minute later.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
watch Franca vs Sherk to see how well that strategy can work against people who can wrestle while unconscious. Franca got in a hard knee at least once every round, he kneed Sherk's brains out 5 seperate times, it didn't matter. Sherk would complete the shot, then compose himself while holding hermes on his back.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009
Isn't the "knee counter shot" or a variation an argument typically used by traditional martial artists for why grapplers are the suck. Needless to say, the very existence of MMA today is due to martial artists getting schooled on myths like the one above.

Besides, it seems like a strategy for making you incredibly vulnerable to a feint.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The knee counter shot is a great idea if you're a deluded strip-mall karate student and you think that a double-leg takedown is executed by bending over and walking forward to grab the legs, instead of actually shooting for them. See also wing chun "anti-grappling."

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Halloween Jack posted:

The knee counter shot is a great idea if you're a deluded strip-mall karate student and you think that a double-leg takedown is executed by bending over and walking forward to grab the legs, instead of actually shooting for them. See also wing chun "anti-grappling."

the best part about this stuff is when they show it "working" by having another karate guy do some piss poor shot.

imagine the inverse:
"Yes you see striking doesn't work, as my bjj buddy here will demonstrate my ineffectively windmilling at me with his noodle arms. See, nothing happened."

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Street Horrrsing posted:

if you're dan hardy you don't acknowledge these things

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Xguard86 posted:

the best part about this stuff is when they show it "working" by having another karate guy do some piss poor shot.

imagine the inverse:
"Yes you see striking doesn't work, as my bjj buddy here will demonstrate my ineffectively windmilling at me with his noodle arms. See, nothing happened."
I've seen aikido guys do this. "You see, karate doesn't work against aikido because when your karateman attacker leads with a wheel kick..."

Wait, actually, I'm pretty sure I've read some BJJ books where you're advised to duck the lovely punch, hug, trip takedown and go from there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Haraksha posted:

Except GSP isn't stupid and the first time he sees that he's just going to stay standing and out point you.

But that's good for the Dan Hardys of the world. While GSP is a better striker than Dan Hardy, his advantage on the feet is much smaller than his advantage in top position.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Wait, actually, I'm pretty sure I've read some BJJ books where you're advised to duck the lovely punch, hug, trip takedown and go from there.

The major difference there is you can watch Gracies in Action 1 and 2 and see hours worth of examples of them doing exactly that

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah I kind of like hug trips. They're not exactly unsuccessful in MMA.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
it combines two of the greatest things in MMA, hugging and a takedown, to create an even greater thing, ground hugging :)

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
fence hugging is the best hugging because it allows you to press your hips sensuously into another man to maintain a "dominant position" on him.

edit: split infinitive

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Maybe I'm wrong but body lock takedowns seem pretty under-used, Forrest loveses them, so does Machida but I can't think of too man other fighters who use them prevalently, Jones just tosses bitches to the side.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

BlindSite posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but body lock takedowns seem pretty under-used, Forrest loveses them, so does Machida but I can't think of too man other fighters who use them prevalently, Jones just tosses bitches to the side.

:allears:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of the above, I know judo guys tend to be really ineffective against American-style wrestlers in general, but I'm wondering if they do noticeably better against Greco wrestlers because of their clinch-based takedowns.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
they do worse

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Jack of Hearts posted:

Speaking of the above, I know judo guys tend to be really ineffective against American-style wrestlers in general, but I'm wondering if they do noticeably better against Greco wrestlers because of their clinch-based takedowns.

(yeah I know Josh isn't really a greco guy, but still)

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
where's a rulon gif

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

too large of a file size

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

ForbiddenWonder posted:

too large of a file size

:drat:

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Why is Japanese MMA in such a terrible state? I used to watch Pride during its heyday, and while I know that it collapsed due to Yakuza scandals and losing their TV deals, I don't really know why all the other promotions seem to be in such bad financial health. What happened to collapse the Japanese MMA business? Why did Dream and Sengoku never really take off? Why is K1 seemingly on the verge of collapse?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's a pretty complicated situation. The way I understand it is that it's hard to get financing because even though it's not as bad as it was at the end of Pride, the Yakuza are still involved to some degree and people want to avoid working with them. There also haven't been any crossover stars recently. Basically, Japanese MMA would really benefit from someone who is already famous transitioning to MMA in order to create interest in the sport again.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Japan like's milking it's old stars instead of building new one's, and all their old stars have left/are walking corpses. Not that the UFC doesn't do that to some extent too, but it's a lot worse over there. They do their matchmaking........differently. Lack of public interest and lack of money. Someone who's been around for longer than I have can probably go in depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Jack of Hearts posted:

the lack of gi really kills the judo guys. You have to be very good at Judo, facing a not-very-good grappler. Plus, it seems like a lot of
those throws end up with the thrower on the bottom, or scrambling, which is not good.

Greco on the other hand translate very well to MMA. Especially as fighters get older, probably because it requires less athleticism and speed, with more static strength plus timing and trickiness.