Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Just chiming in to say that I saw Red Desert for the first time the other day and I can't remember the last time I've seen a film this visually astounding. I was hooked right from the beginning with what has to be the most haunting opening title sequence I've ever seen in my life and I'm anxious to go back and watch it a second time. What an impressive picture. :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

New Makioka Sisters cover:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The "Smiles of a Summer Night" Blu cover doesn't have Bergman's name on it anywhere. :raise:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

The Lucas posted:

New Makioka Sisters cover:

I know I'm alone, but I actually preferred the original cover. :(

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
It was a fine concept, but the colors they chose were odd.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKB4CFmMMvQ

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

They just tweeted that they shot a "closet" video with Guy Maddin. I'm guessing he's there for My Winnipeg, but something earlier would be nice. MW already has a pretty good release (although not on Blu).

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

They just tweeted that they shot a "closet" video with Guy Maddin. I'm guessing he's there for My Winnipeg, but something earlier would be nice. MW already has a pretty good release (although not on Blu).

I'd kill for a Criterion blu of The Saddest Music In The World. There's a chance that could eventually happen, too, since it's the other Maddin in IFC's catalog.

Also, good lord, what is he going to pull out of that closet?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Well, one of the cf.org guys emailed him, and this was the response:

Guy Maddin posted:

Alas, it means nothing. I was just visiting the offices and they let all visitors into the closet. I got greedy.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc
I was thinking about how I would react if given a chance at the closet... I would want to grab so many things, but then you can't take too much without looking like a jerk. It would be a horrific moral experience.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'd go hunting for a Tokyo Olympiad and Carlos Saura Flamenco Trilogy since those are the only ones I really want that I don't already have. Maybe the Allan King set since neither the library nor Netflix has acquired it yet.

Actually, now that I think about it, I might as well grab all the ones I haven't seen yet. If I don't like them, I can always sell them.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

So the people at cf.org are doing the usual sleuthing and it looks like we're probably getting Naked on blu-ray because the page says "Restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Mike Leigh, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition", which is pretty telling.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

DetoxP posted:

So the people at cf.org are doing the usual sleuthing and it looks like we're probably getting Naked on blu-ray because the page says "Restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Mike Leigh, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition", which is pretty telling.

I was just coming here to post this. La belle et la bete as well. Both must-buys for me.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Signs are pointing to Leon Morin being one of the announcements. Never seen it, but Melville + Belmondo seems promising.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

some guy at cf.org talking about some twitter feed posted:

He posted these trailers:

Leon Morin
Naked
Beauty and the Beast
Music Room

now a post about Life During Wartime.

Oh my god if we get Music Room this soon and virtually out of nowhere I'm gonna freak.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

New covers:

B&B is an improvement, but I liked the old Naked cover more.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

What the gently caress?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FFD is hyperventilating atm.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

Criminal Minded posted:

FFD is hyperventilating atm.

I just peed at my desk and now I'm going to get fired for being gross.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Okay, this looks like the lineup, will post additions/subtractions/changes if any come up:

#6 - BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (BR, 7/19)

* High-definition digital transfer from restored film elements, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
* same features as previous DVD release

#24 - HIGH AND LOW (BR, 7/26)

#307 - NAKED (BR, 7/12)

* Restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Mike Leigh, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

#572 - LEON MORIN, PRIEST (DVD/BR, 7/26)

* New high-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Archival interview with director Jean-Pierre Melville and actor Jean-Paul Belmondo
* Visual essay by French film scholar Ginette Vincendeau
* Original theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic and novelist Gary Indiana

#573 - THE MUSIC ROOM (2-disc DVD/BR, 7/19)

* New digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
* Satyajit Ray (1984), a feature documentary by Shyam Benegal that chronicles Ray’s career and includes interviews with the filmmaker, family photographs, and extensive clips from his films
* New interview with filmmaker Mira Nair
* New interview in which Ray biographer Andrew Robinson discusses the making of The Music Room and the film’s cultural significance
* Excerpt from a 1981 French roundtable discussion with Ray, film critic Michel Ciment, and filmmaker Claude Sautet
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Philip Kemp as well as reprints of a 1963 essay by Ray and a 1986 interview with the director about the film’s music

#574 - LIFE DURING WARTIME (DVD/BR, 7/26)

* New digital transfer, supervised and approved by director of photography Ed Lachman (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Ask Todd, an audio Q&A with director Todd Solondz in which he responds to viewers’ questions
* Making “Life During Wartime,” a new documentary featuring interviews with actors Shirley Henderson, Allison Janney, Michael Lerner, Paul Reubens, Ally Sheedy, and Michael Kenneth Williams, and on-set footage of the actors and crew
* New video piece in which Lachman discusses his work on the film
* Original theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Sterritt

My take:

Beauty and the Beast - Amazing film, will glady upgrade from the DVD. Like the new cover.

Naked - Amazing film, will gladly upgrade from the DVD. Not too fond of the new cover.

High and Low - Amazing film, will gladly upgrade from the DVD.

The Music Room - Amazing film, will gladly upgrade from the piece of poo poo import DVD. It's about goddamn time we got some Ray. Nice batch of supplements. Hate that cover, though.

Life During Wartime and Leon Morin - Haven't seen either, looking forward to both.

A spectacular month, best of 2011 so far.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

That cover for Naked is just... hmm.

Nice to see some Todd Solondz. I'd love to see a Happiness Criterion.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh lord, I want Beauty And The Beast bad now.

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007
What a spectacular month. After watching Wes Anderson and James Ivory talk at length about The Music Room, I wanted to see it. Looks like the opportunity is coming.

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!
GOD DAMNIT!! I just bought the High and Low Criterion DVD last month. DAMNITTTT

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

That is a really really ugly cover for Life During Wartime but I'm getting it anyway.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I've said this before and I will say it again: what is going on with the Criterion covers? Most new ones are either: bland, inappropriate, ugly to the eyes or just plain lovely.

Good month though, except Life During Wartime which I didn't like at all. I can't believe that they really passed the opportunity to release Certified Copy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
As ugly as The Music Room's cover is (the font on "Satyajit Ray" is awful) and as goofy as Naked's cover is, the real loser has to be Leon for sheer dullness. Part of the fun of Criteron's covers is not only that they look good but that they say something about the film. Fish Tank, for example, is one of their best not only because it's active and exciting but because it really nails the look of the film (milky blue, handheld) and the general concept (Mia is trapped and frantic to escape).

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

bmmello posted:

I've said this before and I will say it again: what is going on with the Criterion covers? Most new ones are either: bland, inappropriate, ugly to the eyes or just plain lovely.

Yeah, I've been wondering this too. Maybe they switched designers or lowered the allotted budget to cover design??

And I just watched Kuroneko on Hulu on ps3 using the free trial thing, and while the interface and design is nice, the streaming quality is pretty lovely. It looks good but it freezes and skips frames and was pretty annoying for the first half of the movie.

toro913
Aug 7, 2007
The Sweet Smell of Success cover is worth a whole year of bad ones.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I've never complained about a Criterion cover before, but that Naked bluray cover is just awful. Why would they even want to change it in the first place?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

The Cameo posted:

Also, good lord, what is he going to pull out of that closet?

A drat lot.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Phantom Carriage, so awesome.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

Phantom Carriage, so awesome.

Oh loving sweet. I swear I was one day away from watching this on crappy Youtube sliced up into 8 parts.

I wonder if it will include both scores.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The Victor Sjostrom film? Oh man, I've wanted to see that for ages!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

One of my favourite silents. I hope it doesn't take too long to come out.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion hasn't released a DVD-only title outside Eclipse since August, so hopefully it's not an exception.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee
I've been waiting for Phantom Carriage to come out on DVD ever since I saw it two years ago on TCM and my DVR cut off the last minute. I'm amazed it's taken this long to come out.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

For those who have seen it, is The Music Room worth pre-ordering? or just renting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Kart Barfunkel posted:

For those who have seen it, is The Music Room worth pre-ordering? or just renting?

I don't know how to answer those questions because I don't know how to account for anybody's tastes other than mine, but it's a loving masterpiece in my opinion so there ya go. :)