Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Wow at the beginning when Bill said "let's meet our panel" on quick glance I thought Andrew Sullivan was Rob Reiner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
That was pretty decent. I usually disagree that the interview guest is useless, but this time the comedian guy didn't add anything.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Dudebro posted:

That was pretty decent. I usually disagree that the interview guest is useless, but this time the comedian guy didn't add anything.

It felt like after Colin Quinn's 5 minutes the show just went right back to panel. Good, do more of this.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Radio Nowhere posted:

It felt like after Colin Quinn's 5 minutes the show just went right back to panel. Good, do more of this.

I felt like at the end of the show, he sat further away from Bill than when he came out. Was a nice image, since he had gently caress all to say.

After a few lovely weeks and almost giving up on the show, I actually liked this episode.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 10, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dudebro posted:

Colin Quinn isn't a comedian.

He is a black hole of comedy, where laughter goes to die and happy emotions are unable to escape the vortex of anti-comedy.

John Jhonson
Sep 20, 2008

IRQ posted:

Colin Quinn isn't a comedian.

He is a black hole of comedy, where laughter goes to die and happy emotions are unable to escape the vortex of anti-comedy.

I don't know why he gets any credit for being a halfway intelligent or politically conscious comedian. His opinions are always pitifully simplistic and puerile, and he seems overly pleased with himself for forming those opinions. He's part of the Dennis Leary "lol let's just nuke everybody" school of comedy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So what does everybody think of this episode?

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Two idiots yelling at each other.

Fun fact: Ed Schultz was a right wing talk radio guy for half his career until someone even crazier started working at a rival station in Fargo and beating him in the ratings, so he switched political identity.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Those two idiots basically ruined the panel. When people just talk over each other the whole time nothing ever gets said.

It was impossible for me to take Dr. Kaku seriously because he makes weekly appearances on GameTrailers TV to talk about the scientific soundness of Super Mario Brothers. Irshad Manji was really cool, though. Way better than a celebrity.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 16, 2011

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why do so many people in this thread hate Bill Maher?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

It was impossible for me to take Dr. Kaku seriously because he makes weekly appearances on GameTrailers TV to talk about the scientific soundness of Super Mario Brothers.

Watching now. Panel just started. How awkward is this? I love it when it is awkward.

EDIT: Oh, Ed and Steele. Ok yeah haha ok I get the comments now. Ed is going to at least be right if not restrained and Steele is going to live in his fantasy bubble like he does in every interview he ever does. This man is so sad. He always looks so defensive because he knows his party is insane and he doesn't really know why he is doing it anymore. I think he is milking his 15 minutes.

EDIT 2: How can Steel say "that's not right" to "Letting the Bush tax cuts expire solves 75% of the problem". Do these people have no shame?

This chick on the panel is sending mixed messages and she is reeking of :smug:. Not a fan.

JESUS STEEL. Tax cuts do not loving raise revenue. These people are insane.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 16, 2011

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
I guess it's worth noting Steele seems to have dropped the Bootsy Collins shuck & jive routine; maybe we'll get a nice tell-all when he gains the rest of his self-respect.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Ugh. When I saw Schultz and Steele were going to be on, I preemptively rolled my eyes. And god, was I right. Only halfway through the show, and it's already annoying the poo poo out of me...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
My only consolation for this episode is that the next new one, the week after next, is probably going to be much worse for having Breitbart on yet again...

I got a laugh at the audience flipping out on Steele's classic "we don't know" bit on those enchanted vouchers for Medicare running out of steam early in a given year though!

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I have never seen Ed Shultz before today and all I can say after this episode is I sincerely never want to see or hear him ever again.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why do so many people in this thread hate Bill Maher?

I like him, but he can be a smug tool about some of the dumbest stuff, like his interview with the guy who wanted to raise awareness about not saying "Retarded."

His Islamophobia is really grating, too.

But ultimately, I like him.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

SERIOUS posted:

I have never seen Ed Shultz before today and all I can say after this episode is I sincerely never want to see or hear him ever again.

Are you just annoyed with his personality or don't agree with him?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

SERIOUS posted:

How could you not like the liberal Rush Limbaugh? He has the #1 progressive talk radio show which shows how crappy that field is.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is it me, or does Michael Steele remind anyone of a muppet? Ed Shultz seemed like a big mouth radio host and at least he wasn't echoing what Steele said. Amy Walter seemed like the sanest one there, but didn't say too much because of the other two. If you watch Overtime, Michiu Kaku literally doesn't say a word.

oh my god, Irshad Manji is awesome.

Going to look for more of her stuff. omg, she's Canadian too :allears:

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 17, 2011

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Dudebro posted:

Is it me, or does Michael Steele remind anyone of a muppet?

I take it you don't watch the Daily Show.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

cheap sunglasses posted:

I take it you don't watch the Daily Show.

The Daily Show videos are here

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

God, I miss puppet Steele. And Gitmo by the way...

Maybe they can make puppet Trump when the Republican primaries kick off (assuming he actually runs this year)...

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Paul Ryan has a very Guy Smiley-ish quality to him, though I think they or someone else trotted him out to ridicule Mitt Romney in the '08 election.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
I was very confused when the 4th panelist came in. The two ladies in the show had a very similar haircut and shirt, like they were the Double Dragons of politics.

Edit: ¡VIVA ABORTION!

LuisX fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 18, 2011

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
I hate Michael Steele because he is so dishonest. I have never seen Ed before, is he an MSNBC guy?

I have no clue what the 4th lady (lesbian muslim?) was there for. Was she selling something?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

pkd88 posted:

I hate Michael Steele because he is so dishonest. I have never seen Ed before, is he an MSNBC guy?

Ed has a show on MSNBC. I don't get why people have a problem with him. Yeah he is fired up, but considering what he is fired up about who can blame him. I saw someone earlier bring up that he was originally conservative like it might be evidence that he is a phony or something but if you actually know the details of his story you can see why he changed his mind.

From the wikipedia article on Ed:

In the late 1990s, several events occurred which he said changed his political leanings to a more liberal understanding. One was his mother's (a former educator) battle with Alzheimer's Disease which began a long, slow decline of her mental health. Schultz found it frustrating trying to get her the services that she needed. The other was that he met a psychiatric nurse named Wendy who ran a homeless shelter in Fargo.[11] He attributed much of his political change to her, and although he had criticized the homeless on his show, he said in his book that she helped to humanize them. To his surprise, he found that some of the people he had insulted were veterans, and many were unable to get the psychiatric or medical services that might help them. He says that was the moment he began to look at poverty differently.[12]

He became a Democrat in 2000 marking the formal turn in his politics from conservative to liberal. He went out to do radio promotions in rural North Dakota, and told reporters about how he met farmers who were suffering and hard-working people who were going hungry, even though Republicans said the economy was doing fine. (Vowell 2004) He began to hold benefits to raise money for people in the heartland who were going through tough times.[13] In addition, he began questioning some of the assertions of George W. Bush; although he supported several Republican candidates in the 2000 election, he was becoming critical of other Republicans. Schultz considered running for the Democratic-NPL party nomination for governor against incumbent Republican John Hoeven in 2004, but decided to continue his career in radio.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I want to hit Breitbart with a blue whale. God this is horrible.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

IRQ posted:

I want to hit Breitbart with a blue whale. God this is horrible.

Yeah I can't believe he's even on the show. Then again he's on CNN.

And then again he's allowed to walk out of his house every morning without fear of death, so there is no justice in the universe.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Ugh I swear the only positive thing about tonight's show was John Waters dirty words, and even that was weak. I'm not that familiar with Laura Flanders (some TV show on "Free Speech TV", I think had a radio show on Air America) but her attempt to get an apology from Breitbart was horrible. Also noticed how quickly Brietbart pointed out what he thought was doctored video? My wife actually yelled at the TV "Gee I wonder how he knows that!?!"

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Another panel dominated by people with overblown personalities spitting at each other. It really makes you appreciate the guests who know how to have a civil conversation even when they disagree.

It was also sort of funny seeing Bill get uncomfortable, though. You can tell he was trying really hard to keep everyone cool-headed. It reminded me why I like him. He can be a huge tool about certain things, especially religion, but in general he's pretty good.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Surprisingly Laura Flanders was more annoying than Andrew Breitbart.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

-Atom- posted:

Surprisingly Laura Flanders was more annoying than Andrew Breitbart.

That's like saying death by fire isn't as bad as death suffocation. Both are awful and it's a whole argument in itself which is worse.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

pkd88 posted:

I hate Michael Steele because he is so dishonest. I

Michael Steele? Dishonest?

Surely you jest.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Michael Eric Dyson is on next week. So the show is guaranteed to be 100% better than this week just because of that.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
My only hope is that Breitbart is somewhat falling on account of him looking like some sort of disheveled hobo last night---the ep was even worse than I'd have thought.

Dyson should bring things back around next week indeed.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
That panel portion of the episode was a disaster. Not because of Bill but the panel was just a mess.

One thing I notice recently is left wing people are becoming louder and louder and directly confronting the opposition on their positions.

I appreciate the fact that blogging is an opportunity for people to get a place to spread their message but how do they make the jump to being on TV shows... honestly I don't know what I am saying, I am not even sure I agree with myself. I don't trust bloggers

The monologue was not bad and the Massachusetts Governor was good as well

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
Right wing conspiracy dude was no doubt a terrible human being, but I seemed to still be able to enjoy that episode. It was almost surreal, with they way those two were talking to each other and bill just sitting there not knowing wtf. I guess, like John Waters, I've been in a bit of a cynical anarchistic mood lately. Just have to laugh to keep from crying.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

HyperPuma posted:

Right wing conspiracy dude was no doubt a terrible human being, but I seemed to still be able to enjoy that episode. It was almost surreal, with they way those two were talking to each other and bill just sitting there not knowing wtf. I guess, like John Waters, I've been in a bit of a cynical anarchistic mood lately. Just have to laugh to keep from crying.

The biggest problem was that nobody (well me and I am the one that counts...) understood what they were talking about. What was he supposed to apologize for?

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

DVD Drive posted:

For releasing the Shirley Sherrod video edited in a way to make it sound racist. I guess he didn't though, Glenn Beck edited it? Either way that makes no sense because the unedited version is a non-story.

I was trying to figure that out too. So Glenn Beck edited Breitbart's video, for his RADIO program, and that's what got out? I dunno, I suppose I could watch it again to figure out exactly but gently caress it.