Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

wallaka posted:

No emissions compliance.

It came from the factory like that though, I did not chop it out. In 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
EGR isn't necessary for emissions compliance, it's just one of the many tools in a carmakers compliance toolbox. See also: air pumps, extra catalytic converters, carbon offsetting. Your Jeep must've been able to pass the 2000 emissions standard without an EGR.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

jamal posted:

it's probably fine but if you really want to know do a leakdown and compression check.

this really only happens to DI cars. The pcv system burns oily blow-by mist and on a non-di engine the fuel is injected right before the intake valves which keeps them pretty clean. This doesn't happen on a di motor so all the crap starts to accumulate in the intake system. A water/meth kit or a catch can would keep things cleaner.

Just like EGR and diesels.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Splizwarf posted:

EGR isn't necessary for emissions compliance, it's just one of the many tools in a carmakers compliance toolbox. See also: air pumps, extra catalytic converters, carbon offsetting. Your Jeep must've been able to pass the 2000 emissions standard without an EGR.

This. The GM Atlas engines, for example, don't have EGR valves. Supposedly they were able to control emissions enough with VVT that it wasn't needed.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

lazer_chicken posted:

This. The GM Atlas engines, for example, don't have EGR valves. Supposedly they were able to control emissions enough with VVT that it wasn't needed.

Weird, do they close the exhaust valves/open intake valves early?

MooMoo
Jul 29, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/o4eAz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LPF7S.jpg

The clutch packs inside the reduction gear went bad, well in one of them.

http://i.imgur.com/SYd2H.jpg

I took that out of a busted A/C compressor, the bearings all wiped up. Running without oil is a bad thing yeah? d thing yeah?

The images broke the forum so you should click the link if you feel like it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's impossible to get a good photo, but this is one of the presses I manage:

[

It's a 4000T(combined pressing force) Komatsu 4 station mechanical transfer press.

The transfer system is the bit that picks the panel up from one die & moves it to the next die, from the inside it's the white bar running horizontally. We're looking from W1(entry) towards W4(exit).

The feeder bar we're looking at is lifted & pushed by massive(2m diameter) cams in the basement. The lift system is a pair of pushrods running along under the floor, driving massive rack & pinions.

[]

This is one of the lift gearboxes, the only pic I got that didn't have one of my co-workers looking 'thoughtful' in it. Wait, there's some holes in the side - what did we take out?

Well...

[

That looks okay, what about the shaft supporting it?

[

Well, not so good. The shaft on the right is eccentric by 1.5 mm, to allow us to set the intermesh between the left & right pinions correctly. The collar on the left sits between the bearings at each end of the gear above. The little shred on the far left is almost all that remains of the rear support bearing.

This locked up the feeder system, meaning the tooling inside the press couldn't be removed (the feeder has to lift all the way up before the dies can be driven out the sides of the press), we have no spare shaft, the Japanese manufacturer has no on-the-shelf spare for this 20 year old press & was reluctant to release the drawing, they quoted 2 weeks to make & ship a new part to us.

Thanks Komatsu.

Anyway, with threats of legal action we got a drawing out of them & got a shaft made locally in 18 hours.

Also, it took 8 hours to pull the shaft out of the gearbox, it was that badly hosed.

I didn't get a picture but the 'master' pinion that drives the double gear above is really badly damaged - 3 teeth in different locations are down to 50% width remaining - probably where the bearing rollers dropped out & got munched like candy. We'll build up some stock with crossed fingers then strip it down at Easter & send the gear to be copied.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 20, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

got a shaft made locally in 18 hours.
Hahaha, oh Christ, that's going to show a blip in your tooling maintenance expenditure.

Not so much a horrible mechanical failure as a decision process one, I've seen someone insist that they only need three $5 components, regardless of things like minimum order values, batch setup charges and fast-tracking premiums. So that'll be $2,400 to you, squire, sign on the dotted...

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

wallaka posted:

No emissions compliance.

Grandfathering lobbyism.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Muffinpox posted:

Weird, do they close the exhaust valves/open intake valves early?

Different cam profiles can go a long way to whether you need EGR or not. Best example I've got is the LS1 as installed in the F-Body - 1998 through 2000 used EGR because of the cam specific to that application. 2001 and 2002 went to a smaller cam and added the LS6 intake manifold - eliminated EGR and kept power levels the same.

For the record, the '97-'00 Corvette LS1 never needed EGR due to the cam they put in that one.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
my e30 running on megasquirt passed smog check with flying colors.. just tuned it for 14.7 AFR across the board and let it rip, all the numbers were like 1/2 of max (usually they barely pass, if I'm lucky)

I'm of the opinion that a modern direct injection motor should not need such crap on it. But really a turbo could cause the same issues just from typical bearing leakage.

That is a pickle, not sure what the best way around it is. More air filtering?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Regular maintenance.

:chord:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Wiglaf posted:

But really a turbo could cause the same issues just from typical bearing leakage.
Accidentally doing it in the glorious pursuit of more grunt is one thing, forcing an innocent engine to sniff its own farts is quite another.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Friend just posted this of his custom turbo S2000:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Where's that oil filter and attached metal supposed to be?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
remote oil filter

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Where, not what. I'm assuming it's not supposed to be dangling in the middle of everything.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Godholio posted:

Where, not what. I'm assuming it's not supposed to be dangling in the middle of everything.

Looks like a perfectly logical place for a remote filter to me. Better than most manufacturers do anyway.

LO Technology
Mar 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

thelightguy posted:

Looks like a perfectly logical place for a remote filter to me. Better than most manufacturers do anyway.

Remote oil filters shouldn't even be in your car. It's not convenient or environmentally correct.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

LO Technology posted:

Remote oil filters shouldn't even be in your car. It's not convenient or environmentally correct.

Burning oil off your exhaust is the EPA approved method of disposal! Seriously, what the gently caress?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

LO Technology posted:

I'll take a filter somewhere where I can get a strap wrench around it any day over a filter jammed up in between the fork of the Y-pipe.

LO Technology
Mar 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

thelightguy posted:

I'll take a filter somewhere where I can get a strap wrench around it any day over a filter jammed up in between the fork of the Y-pipe.

I keep all my remote oil filters in my gun safe. I change them religiously. Well, ok, sometimes I punch them.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Also, how is a remote filter setup not "environmentally correct"? Because it adds a quarter to half a quart to the pan?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Geoj posted:

Also, how is a remote filter setup not "environmentally correct"?

Yeah I'm curious about this myself. Unless "remote filter" means spraying the oil out, filtering it through national park soil and the fur of squirrels and then sucking it back up again.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ola posted:

Yeah I'm curious about this myself. Unless "remote filter" means spraying the oil out, filtering it through national park soil and the fur of squirrels and then sucking it back up again.
Now, were I to give you the choice between that and a FRAM filter...

LO Technology
Mar 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Geoj posted:

Also, how is a remote filter setup not "environmentally correct"? Because it adds a quarter to half a quart to the pan?

A remote filter setup is about as environmentally correct as you can get. Keeping it in the car (glovebox etc.) is not.

You should ideally keep your remote filters in your SHTF-room below your moms cellar or - if that's not an option - in your gun-safe. Just remember to change them every 10K miles.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

thelightguy posted:

It just looks like it's not even attached to anything and is just sitting there at an odd angle. Apparently it's just me.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

LO Technology posted:

LO Technology posted:

A remote filter setup is about as environmentally correct as you can get. Keeping it in the car (glovebox etc.) is not.

You should ideally keep your remote filters in your SHTF-room below your moms cellar or - if that's not an option - in your gun-safe. Just remember to change them every 10K miles.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has no idea what the gently caress you're talking about anymore.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 16, 2011

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Could you imagine if everyone used them? Total game changer to the environment.

Mine was just because the turbo manifold got in the way of OEM filter location, i picked an easier spot to get at. But I'll tell ya, how many oil drops I've saved from hitting the pavement..

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
E: loving SALR...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Lowclock posted:

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has no idea what the gently caress you're talking about anymore.

I LOVE ACID!!!!!

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Cakefool posted:

4000T Komatsu Transfer

I'd love to hear what kind of noise one of those makes when it shits the bed, or did it just kind of sieze up and grind to a halt?

Along the same line, I was doing some construction management for an automotive press plant and got to see my contractors drop the Crown for a 2500T Press after driving the truck out from underneath it. Total damage? Two bent oil lines and a drip tray. :cool:

What I thought was going to happen when I saw the crane's rear end lift 15 feet in the air? :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dave Inc. posted:

I'd love to hear what kind of noise one of those makes when it shits the bed, or did it just kind of sieze up and grind to a halt?

They tend not to make much noise when they go wrong, they're such a bastard to fix that it's worth coating them into sensors. With this failure the excess torque in the lift system was detected by the PTO (which takes power from the idle end of the slide drivetrain & sends it downstairs to the cambox) & shut the press down.

Best failure I got to witness was the bearing of the lift cam follower collapsed, Production stopped the press when the shrieking became too much, sparks were flying out of the cambox, 2 storeys up. It took 6 hours to cut the follower off the bearing, then we had to cut the bearing & pin out before fitting the spares we actually had.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Different cam profiles can go a long way to whether you need EGR or not. Best example I've got is the LS1 as installed in the F-Body - 1998 through 2000 used EGR because of the cam specific to that application. 2001 and 2002 went to a smaller cam and added the LS6 intake manifold - eliminated EGR and kept power levels the same.

For the record, the '97-'00 Corvette LS1 never needed EGR due to the cam they put in that one.

Power levels were higher in the 2001/2002. The LS6 manifold has a lot to do with that.

Ballcock
Jul 1, 2005

Safety Control Rod Axe Man
It's more a human failure than a mechanical failure, but is nonetheless awesome/terrifying. Here is a video of a man wrestling with a runaway 2-stroke diesel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1MnXkHhlM

Ballcock fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 17, 2011

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009
I had yet another 2.0T Audi A4 in the shop with a destroyed HP fuel pump this week but this one was a little more horrible than most - the shrapnel from the pump destroyed all the cam bearings in the head so I replaced it with an Audi reman unit. Road test was fine - no problems, oil pressure and temps perfect until I pulled into the shop parking lot and the car quit with no warning. Attempts to crank resulted in the starter saying "ungh" and the engine not rotating. With the trans in 6th gear we could push the car about a foot and the engine would lock. At first I suspected a hydrolocked cylinder but all bores were dry. Pulled the head looking for some piston-valve contact or a dropped valve - nope. Cams would rotate freely with the head removed so it was something in the tranny or the rotating assembly. When I dropped the oil pan I found the problem - the high pressure oil pump helical gears had jammed due to a small piece of flashing that must have been left over from when the head was remanufactured. When they jammed, the crankshaft kept turning long enough to snap the chain drive to the pump where it then wrapped back around the pump sprocket and jammed the engine. To make matters worse, the drive sprocket on the crankshaft was ruined too.

Oil pump/balancer assembly: $1700
Crankshaft: $800
Gaskets+hardware to re-install both: $300
Labor to re/re crank and pump: 10ish hours

At this point, Audi Goodwill agreed to replace the longblock which I will be installing on Monday. Longblock price (includes everything but the exhaust mani/turbo and timing belt/tensioner): $6000 plus less labor than to re/re the crank.

I though I had some pics on my phone but they didn't turn out very clear - I'll get some better ones tomorrow.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Hey, it is the Chrysler Pentastar :v:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

[and a bunch more]

It's funnier if you pretend those are all from the same vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Phanatic posted:

It's funnier if you pretend those are all from the same vehicle.

As I was scrolling down I got to thinking "how could these all have possibly come from the same engine at one time?!"