Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

thehustler posted:

I think I'm in love with Joy from Drop the Dead Donkey.

You mean there's people who aren't? :psyberger:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

cloudchamber posted:

I assume he's talking about Crimson Petal and the White.

Just caught up on this on iPlayer, it's really rather good.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Kevin Bridges on HIGNFY, I'm pretty sure he made that dog poo poo joke on another show last week.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Game shows are far too incestuous when it comes to guests, and they all seem to focus on a relatively small band of comedians.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 15, 2011

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Just caught up on this on iPlayer, it's really rather good.

Crimson Petal is pretty fantastic. I went into it half-dreading that they'd turned the book into another pretty-pretty costume drama, but they've really managed to capture the dank, desperate, claustrophobic atmosphere of the book very well.

And while Romola Garai as Sugar is excellent, the actress playing poor, deranged Agnes Rackham just steals the show. I can't decide whether I want to shake her or sympathise with her

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

pisshead posted:

Kevin Bridges on HIGNFY, I'm pretty sure he made that dog poo poo joke on another show last week.

That happens all the time, if a stand-up sees a chance to fit some existing material in there they will take it. They are essentially advertising their live shows and DVDs, remember.

eclipse
Mar 12, 2003

It's gone rather dark all of a sudden...
If you listen to the News Quiz enough then you realise that Jeremy Hardy is on roughly an 18 month loop, and has been since about 1994.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

BizarroAzrael posted:

That happens all the time, if a stand-up sees a chance to fit some existing material in there they will take it. They are essentially advertising their live shows and DVDs, remember.

It's expected I guess. I do feel bad for comics because they can play the same show every night at a theatre/comedy club, but the moment they make a joke on TV it's dead and can't be used again!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lurchibles posted:

It's expected I guess. I do feel bad for comics because they can play the same show every night at a theatre/comedy club, but the moment they make a joke on TV it's dead and can't be used again!

Well for a specific instance Jimmy Carr on HIGNFY last series I think, said "People with Tourette's; what makes them tic?" which I knew was previosuly in one of his routines since I had it on DVD, so the joke was already "done with" since he'd finished the tour and committed it to DVD, he just got a little extra mileage from it.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

So people go to the shows and buy the DVDs to hear the same joke they've heard on three panel shows and six stand-up shows?

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
The very best stand up comedians produce 3 or 4 full hour long sets in their whole career.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

pisshead posted:

So people go to the shows and buy the DVDs to hear the same joke they've heard on three panel shows and six stand-up shows?
Usually the jokes / routines you're seeing on TV are from their previous show, or earlier. They're advertising their style of humour so that you'll think they are funny and want to go and see them the next time they tour near you, which will be a new show that you won't have already seen 90% of (unless you saw it when they did it at Edinburgh).

There's also the idea that an hour / 90 minute show will have a better through-line that makes everything in it funnier, even if you've heard some of the individual bits before. Though with straight up "gag" comedians like Jimmy Carr this isn't really the case.

Then you get people like goon favourite Stewart Lee who couldn't fit their style of presentation and humour into a panel show.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

pisshead posted:

With Jimmy Carr, by the time that joke is on TV he's already touring an entirely new show around the country. I've seen him twice, in the same place, a year apart, and there wasn't a shared joke between both shows.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ibroxmassive posted:

With Jimmy Carr, by the time that joke is on TV he's already touring an entirely new show around the country. I've seen him twice, in the same place, a year apart, and there wasn't a shared joke between both shows.

He's got something like four DVDs out, each one new, each one a year after the other, the man knows how to work. And according to Stewart Lee's book he is a ridiculously decent man to boot.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Graviton v2 posted:

The very best stand up comedians produce 3 or 4 full hour long sets in their whole career.

Louis CK, arguably one of the best stand up comedians working, produces a new hour of material each year. He doesn't reuse anything at all. Once he's performed it he's done.

I'd love to see Peter Kay try that.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

FreakyZoid posted:

Usually the jokes / routines you're seeing on TV are from their previous show, or earlier.

Unless it's Russell Howard, in which case you will have heard all of the jokes before on Mock the Week or whatever else he's been on. Every single loving one. It was a massive waste of money, but at least the wife has stopped nagging me.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Flatscan posted:

Unless it's Russell Howard, in which case you will have heard all of the jokes before on Mock the Week or whatever else he's been on. Every single loving one. It was a massive waste of money, but at least the wife has stopped nagging me.

I saw Frankie Boyle once and literally every single one liner (because that is basically his whole act, a bunch of unconnected bits) had already been said on Mock the Week.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Metrication posted:

I saw Frankie Boyle once and literally every single one liner (because that is basically his whole act, a bunch of unconnected bits) had already been said on Mock the Week.

I just started reading his book "My poo poo Life so Far", and while i'm only halfway into the introduction his one liners even dictate the way he writes. It's just one liner to one liner to one liner and it's getting pretty damned hard to read.

It doesn't help that i just came off of reading Charlie Brooker's "Dawn of the Dumb" so the difference in writing quality is huge.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Yeah I found Frankie Boyle's book incredibly hard to read. Very disjointed. I find that kind of gag machine comedian hard to watch do an hour's act as well.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

DrVenkman posted:

Louis CK, arguably one of the best stand up comedians working, produces a new hour of material each year. He doesn't reuse anything at all. Once he's performed it he's done.

I will give him a listen.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

FreakyZoid posted:

Yeah I found Frankie Boyle's book incredibly hard to read. Very disjointed. I find that kind of gag machine comedian hard to watch do an hour's act as well.

It's why carr is so popular, they follow a weird theme but they're not really that disjointed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Awww, White Van Man is almost over.

When do you reckon we'll see season 2 of Mongrels then?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ibroxmassive posted:

It's why carr is so popular, they follow a weird theme but they're not really that disjointed.

It's also why it's not always that funny. I watched Carr's last DVD and it was just meh.

It's like that unfunny tit who just rattled off puns for his whole act, he faded back off into obscurity and the only other time i've seen him since is on that Lee Mack series that's on Dave and he's still an unfunny tit in that too.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Uh tim vine didn't fade into obscurity. He has 3 DVDs out with another on the way.

Tim Vine owns. Suck my dick :colbert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pwbQvJDFzQ

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
tim vine is either brilliant or terrible and I can't decide which. Probably terrible. I do find this hilarious though (00:38)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SETRFm71Is

his reaction to nobody laughing at his joke is so :smith: it's fantastic

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

tim vine is either brilliant or terrible and I can't decide which. Probably terrible. I do find this hilarious though (00:38)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SETRFm71Is

his reaction to nobody laughing at his joke is so :smith: it's fantastic

Terrible...

Utterly. loving. Terrible.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Tim Vine has basically built an entire act on "dad jokes".

And its completely and utterly brilliant. If you don't like him you have no love for life. Or maybe in a more logical explanation, hes just not to your taste. Hes so unashamedly silly and charming that I find it impossible to dislike him when his jokes don't work, and it just makes the ones that do work so much more awesome.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Dicky B posted:

Tim Vine owns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pwbQvJDFzQ

You know, I could see Spike Milligan or Tommy Cooper doing this. Love it. The music is utter genius.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

A clip of a comedian bombing in front of a disinterested, demographically inappropriate audience is not really representative of their work. I've seen a similar clip of Louis CK bombing onstage.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

DrVenkman posted:

Don't quite a lot of comedians produce a new hour of material each year? Tim Vine has at least four hours worth of horrible-yet-amazing jokes. You see the same faces show up at Edinburgh every year with a new set. Most comedians do their job.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Speaking of terrible stand ups, I just realised watching Britain's Got Talent that one of the reason I loathe Michael Mcintyre is he's insincere in exactly the same way Tony Blair was.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Kitson puts together like two shows a year or something mental and he's one of the best comedians going. Absurdly talented. Also, Tim Vine is funny. He tells jokes.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Brown Moses posted:

Speaking of terrible stand ups, I just realised watching Britain's Got Talent that one of the reason I loathe Michael Mcintyre is he's insincere in exactly the same way Tony Blair was is.

Michael McIntyre has one redeeming feature, in that he is not Piers Morgan.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Michael McIntyre has one redeeming feature, in that he is not Piers Morgan.

Or Tony Blair of course.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
To quote Jerry Sadowitz: "He's a loving tiny-eyed insult to bobble-headed spastic cunts the world over.

But at least he's not Jack loving Whitehall".

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Comedians are like songs; everyone is apparently listening to the wrong ones and different ones suit different moods.

There's a lot of hate on for many of them in here. Or maybe I just like too many of them. :ohdear:

Anyone watching the new Great British Menu by the way? I didn't realise iPlayer was purging them per week. Urgh, I was a little behind and i lost the last 3 of the North East. That'll learn me.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Fishbus posted:

Comedians are like songs; everyone is apparently listening to the wrong ones and different ones suit different moods.

There's a lot of hate on for many of them in here. Or maybe I just like too many of them. :ohdear:

Anyone watching the new Great British Menu by the way? I didn't realise iPlayer was purging them per week. Urgh, I was a little behind and i lost the last 3 of the North East. That'll learn me.

This thread only universally likes Stewart lee, Charlie Brooker and David mitchell, because they fit the mysanthropic goon stereotype more or less perfectly. Its best not to listen to the internet regarding comedians to be honest, as everyone's tastes are different, its not worth the hassle.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 17, 2011

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
it might just be that only a handful of standups are good and the others are not funny

watch Hans Teeuwen btw, he owns.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I don't get why people watch stand up on TV. I love seeing a good comic live, but so much of the experience depends on the atmosphere and the audience. Maybe my attention span is ridiculously low.

On a completely unrelated note, is anyone else sick of shows about giving birth? Flicking through the channels has become a minefield lately. Every other show seems to feature gruesome childbirth scenes. And the women at my work won't shut the gently caress up about One Born Every Minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

it might just be that only a handful of standups are good
Yes, just like bands and art and food.