Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Is there some massive bug on P8P67 boards I wasn't aware of? Got my new Pro in last night, hooked everything up and it seemed like all 4 of my SATA drives were being seen, install everything in the OS, reboot and suddenly one of the ports isn't seeing a drive.

This happened with my LE board and thought it was bad, but now that it's happening again I don't quite know what to think.

Tried googling but most of the links seemed to be about what to do with their board and the recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Did you get a Rev3 P8P67Pro? If not :ughh:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

LooKMaN posted:

Did you get a Rev3 P8P67Pro? If not :ughh:
I did, both the LE I had previously [which had the same problem] and the PRO are all Rev3 versions. Pro actually came shipped with the latest firmware

movax
Aug 30, 2008

real_scud posted:

Is there some massive bug on P8P67 boards I wasn't aware of? Got my new Pro in last night, hooked everything up and it seemed like all 4 of my SATA drives were being seen, install everything in the OS, reboot and suddenly one of the ports isn't seeing a drive.

This happened with my LE board and thought it was bad, but now that it's happening again I don't quite know what to think.

Tried googling but most of the links seemed to be about what to do with their board and the recall.

Can BIOS see the drive, or not? Try reseating/replacing cables? Did you attach to a Marvell port and then disable it in BIOS on accident?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

movax posted:

Can BIOS see the drive, or not? Try reseating/replacing cables? Did you attach to a Marvell port and then disable it in BIOS on accident?
BIOS comes and goes as well with seeing the drive. They're all on the Intel ports, Marvell one's are un-used and disabled in the BIOS.

Last time I got the drive to be consistently seen on the LE mobo by installing it on the other 6G port which seems wonky that all 4 don't work.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

You sure the cable itself is good? My board came with a bad SATA cable that was causing the connected drive to randomly disappear and subsequently Windows would BSOD because it got sad that the system volume wasn't there any more. As soon as I replaced the cable (and it was already connected to a 6Gbps port, so it wasn't caused by the recall problem) the problem disappeared.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

chutwig posted:

You sure the cable itself is good? My board came with a bad SATA cable that was causing the connected drive to randomly disappear and subsequently Windows would BSOD because it got sad that the system volume wasn't there any more. As soon as I replaced the cable (and it was already connected to a 6Gbps port, so it wasn't caused by the recall problem) the problem disappeared.
Well I think the cable is good because it's been in use for a while and never had an issue and as soon as I connected it to the 6gb port it was fully functional, guess I can try out one of the pack-in cables tonight.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Quick question for i5-2500k owners.

I'm running an overclock (4.3ghz right now, 4.5ghz bsod'd on me). I'm running Real Temp 3.67, and it's reporting (under 100% load)

core 0: 53
core 1: 60
core 2: 59
core 3: 55

Should there be this much disparity between the cores? Or is my heatsink (a coolermaster 212+) improperly seated/thermal paste not properly applied? I thought I did a good job of spreading the paste around on the chip, not realizing that the instructions called for the paste to be put on the heatsink instead.

Should I re-do it?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My Core 2 Duo E7200 that I gave to a friend recently, always reported individual core temps about that disparate, something like 7C difference between the two cores at full load. It's been in at least two different motherboards with I think three different coolers and always did the same thing no matter what - stock or overclocked and overvolted. In my inexpert and totally anecdotal opinion, as long as none of them are beyond safe temps and all are stable, it's fine.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Drewjitsu posted:

Quick question for i5-2500k owners.

I'm running an overclock (4.3ghz right now, 4.5ghz bsod'd on me). I'm running Real Temp 3.67, and it's reporting (under 100% load)

core 0: 53
core 1: 60
core 2: 59
core 3: 55

Should there be this much disparity between the cores? Or is my heatsink (a coolermaster 212+) improperly seated/thermal paste not properly applied? I thought I did a good job of spreading the paste around on the chip, not realizing that the instructions called for the paste to be put on the heatsink instead.

Should I re-do it?

No, it's fine. Goddamn you guys are you really all this anal retentive?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Yeah thats nothing, I've seen mine with 10-12 difference between cores.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

greasyhands posted:

No, it's fine. Goddamn you guys are you really all this anal retentive?

Hah. This is the first computer I've ever assembled, and the first I've ever overclocked. Want to make sure I don't blow it up.

Good to know that everything is okay.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

real_scud posted:

Well I think the cable is good because it's been in use for a while and never had an issue and as soon as I connected it to the 6gb port it was fully functional, guess I can try out one of the pack-in cables tonight.
Looks like the non-usable SATA ports is an issue with a lot of the P8P67 boards, I like the board for it's other features and don't care enough to do another RMA for a different board so I think I'm just going to keep the 4th drive on the 6gb port and call it a day. It won't matter in the end because hopefully soon I can start swapping out old HD's with some newer 6gb models and then everything will be dandy.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Kashwashwa posted:

The performance of my system seems to be degrading or something... it keeps freezing while playing Bad Company 2. Now I'm running at everything being stock speeds, and it seems to be stable, but what is this poo poo?

I'm running memtest to see if there's a problem there, but I'm not really sure what to try next.

I noticed there's a new BIOS update from gigabyte, so I'll try that too.

Is this during a) when bombs are armed and b) when people type in chat? BC2 has some problems that only some people get involving these two things and freezing, no fix :(

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
I should have updated my post yesterday.

There were two problems - my video card was overclocked (which I forgot), apparently too much. BC2 was causing my video card to crash or something, causing my entire system to freeze.

Then, I had an old version of my motherboards BIOS, which would cause it to reset and revert to default BIOS settings if the reset switch was pressed - which is what I would do when my system froze up.

So I updated my BIOS, set video card to default specs, and everything is going good.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world
Had a really weird issue with a 4 year old Samsung HD recently. I was playing music and it suddenly froze, the event log reported an iaStor drive timeout. I thought nothing of it, restarted foobar and continued working. Several hours later I noticed none of my programs could write to the drive and opening it in explorer gave "Access Denied". The event log was being spammed by "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.".

I put it down to bad sectors and rebooted to try and copy stuff off the drive, it got a few gigs in and then disappeared again. I then booted off a Win7 installer to run chkdsk, which completed a full chkdsk /r without error. I then ran a full badblocks non-destructive RW test which also ran without error. I booted a Linux live environment and proceeded to copy everything off the HD without a problem. The moment I was back in Windows, the drive would crap out and die within minutes.

Only thing I can put it down to is some kind of weird issue with the Intel SATA drivers causing some kind of chipset issue (P8P67 Pro bB3). Hopefully the B3 really did fix the SATA controller...

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Has anyone exchanged a board at Micro Center yet? I received an e-mail saying that they are handling exchanges by offering "full credit" for defective boards in the form of a store gift card, but I purchased my P8P67 as part of a combo-deal back in January and a full refund would leave me about $40 short of the current price of a new board.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

The_Franz posted:

Has anyone exchanged a board at Micro Center yet? I received an e-mail saying that they are handling exchanges by offering "full credit" for defective boards in the form of a store gift card, but I purchased my P8P67 as part of a combo-deal back in January and a full refund would leave me about $40 short of the current price of a new board.

I exchanged mine at the Micro Center in St Davids and pointed the price difference out when they were doing the exchange. The guy handling exchanges grumbled a little bit and wandered off for about 5 minutes before returning, but ultimately I got out of there with the new board without paying the $40 difference.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Same here, except they had to get a manager and weren't grumbly, just time-consuming. Stand up for your combo pricing!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

chutwig posted:

I exchanged mine at the Micro Center in St Davids and pointed the price difference out when they were doing the exchange. The guy handling exchanges grumbled a little bit and wandered off for about 5 minutes before returning, but ultimately I got out of there with the new board without paying the $40 difference.

Son of a bitch, I was hoping to upgrade mine to a Pro, that's going to make things more difficult.

Did they give you a gift card for the delay, like they mentioned in that survey they sent out last month?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Shmoogy posted:

Son of a bitch, I was hoping to upgrade mine to a Pro, that's going to make things more difficult.

Did they give you a gift card for the delay, like they mentioned in that survey they sent out last month?

I didn't get a survey, and I didn't get a gift card. :mad:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'm replacing my intel board, and can either RMA it or sell it and get an asus p67 pro, do the asus boards really have alot of issues or do these just crop up when doing heavy overclocking, or are overrepresented due to the popularity of the board? The main reason I would switch boards is the additional internal SATA ports but its not a huge dealbreaker.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I just did the exchange at Micro Center and there were no problems. They didn't even bother with the store credit when I told them I was getting the same model, they just let me swap boards. No grumbling, no managers, no nothing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

dud root posted:

Yeah thats nothing, I've seen mine with 10-12 difference between cores.

It mostly depends on where physically the core is located. The core right next to GT should theoretically be the warmest since it has more "stuff" going on near it. Or if you're not using GT, the middle two will probably be the warmest.

e: clarity

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 16, 2011

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It mostly depends on where physically the core is located. The core right next to GT should theoretically be the warmest since it has more "stuff" going on near it. Or if you're not using GT, the middle two will probably be the warmest.

Also, the thermal sensors aren't exactly carefully calibrated scientific instruments. Even if the cores are all exactly the temperature they still aren't going to read out the same.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ika posted:

I'm replacing my intel board, and can either RMA it or sell it and get an asus p67 pro, do the asus boards really have alot of issues or do these just crop up when doing heavy overclocking, or are overrepresented due to the popularity of the board? The main reason I would switch boards is the additional internal SATA ports but its not a huge dealbreaker.

IMHO, they are over-represented because it's one of the best boards you can purchase for overclocking. Asus support will take care of you if you have to RMA. They're solid boards with an excellent EFI-based BIOS. I can confirm their BIOS engineers work continuously and BIOS updates are released when necessary.

Getting a P8P67 or higher is the way to go. (Do not get the LE. IMO, you should get the PRO or above, but that's because I detest Realtek ethernet.)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's also the cheapest high-end board, with SLI support, both extra SATA and two eSATA ports, and a USB 3.0 bracket for four ports out-of-the-box. Then you've got FireWire, which is a nice extra if you need it, and BlueTooth for re-using accessories you might have for your console/phone or doing gimmicky phone app overclocking :pcgaming:

It's just a really good value for what you get on the board, especially in a good combo deal where you're not paying face value for it, and yet not quite over the top.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

doing gimmicky phone app overclocking :pcgaming:

Ahaha, poo poo I forgot all about that! (I have my BT radio off all the times pretty much).

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

movax posted:

Ahaha, poo poo I forgot all about that! (I have my BT radio off all the times pretty much).
Which I can't get working because I don't have tethering enabled and when I try to connect to my computer via wifi it doesn't find it either. Oh well, seems neat in theory but a bit lacking with an iPhone.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
You have to pair your phone with your desktop, the way you would a headset with your phone.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
What? No posts about the Z68 getting a release date? (May 8)

Am I the only one who decided to wait for this after the recall?

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Bagarthach posted:

What? No posts about the Z68 getting a release date? (May 8)

Am I the only one who decided to wait for this after the recall?

Was there really any reason to wait? It looks like there are a few extra overclocking goodies, an SSD related feature, and...?

If you wait to buy hardware based on such minor revisions you'll never actually buy any hardware.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Faceless Clock posted:

Was there really any reason to wait? It looks like there are a few extra overclocking goodies, an SSD related feature, and...?

If you wait to buy hardware based on such minor revisions you'll never actually buy any hardware.

When the cheapest P67 boards comes with Crossfire and USB3.0 as baseline standard it's really hard to care for Z68. Ditto for LGA 2011 when 99.99% of us won't need more than a overclocked 2500K.

And I still don't get why Intel is selling i5-760 at the same price as a 2500K. They really believe there will be idiots falling for buying last-gen stuff at current gen prices?

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

freeforumuser posted:

They really believe there will be idiots falling for buying last-gen stuff at current gen prices?

Yes. I know someone who just ordered an LGA1156 board and processor thinking it was the latest. It is one number higher, after all. (it was just an i3 for a basic office pc, so he didn't do any research, but still :doh:)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Has anyone else who did a RMA through Asus just kinda...gotten left with their old board? My credit card has not been charged, the RMA label they gave me doesn't work...what to do now?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

freeforumuser posted:

And I still don't get why Intel is selling i5-760 at the same price as a 2500K. They really believe there will be idiots falling for buying last-gen stuff at current gen prices?

They always do this. There will be people with lower-end LGA1156 systems looking to upgrade for quite a while into the future. Even high-end LGA775 chips still command a pretty high price - a Q9550 is $290. Why let it go for cheap, if people will still buy it at a high price?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Faceless Clock posted:

If you like to transcode video, Z68 will let you use a video card (and thus multiple monitors using digital input) and Quick Sync. Oh, and you can overclock the CPU on the Z68 as well.

But for most of us, yeah, P67 is perfectly fine.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Space Gopher posted:

They always do this. There will be people with lower-end LGA1156 systems looking to upgrade for quite a while into the future. Even high-end LGA775 chips still command a pretty high price - a Q9550 is $290. Why let it go for cheap, if people will still buy it at a high price?

Intel is the epitome of an "arrogant" company; I remember reading somewhere that they essentially never drop prices. Who else are you going to buy a x86 CPU from, AMD? They have the massive R&D budget and workforce to build and design top-end processors, and we're willing to pay the bucks for them. (case in point: they continually manage to sell Extreme Edition SKUs).

Get Z68 if you want transcoding, or to use the integrated GPU + overclock. The next chipsets to look at would be the 7-series (USB 3.0 woo) or the X79. I don't think we'll see the 7-series in 2011, no idea when the X79 was slated to launch.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Intel has pretty regular price drops, especially in response to AMD products. The main issue is that since AMD hasn't been performance-competitive for a long time, Intel has had no reason to be price-competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but the top-end Intel CPUs (excluding Xxxxxxtreme Editions) have been priced reasonably for quite a while. Back when I got my C2Q, the Q9450 was just out, was the quasi be-all end-all IIRC and cost "only" 300 eurobucks. I paid the same for the i7-2600. Back during the P3 times, the upper models were way more expensive. I paid way more for that P3-933 I owned, and there were 1.1GHz variants out.