Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl
I'm jealous of all you people going to Roadburn :( Hopefully I can make it next year.

Has anybody else picked up Red Fang - Murder The Mountains? I got it this morning and have had it on play since. Fantastic record.

'Wires':http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loKg4HBxqaQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelius
Apr 24, 2010

I know I'm probably late to the party, but I just listened to Boris New Album for the first time and I can't shake the feeling that I'm getting trolled.

It's probably even a solid record if you're into that sort of thing (that thing being J-Pop/Rock)but drat. Anyways, got high hopes for Heavy Rocks '11.

Going to see them in July, here's hoping for an all New Album Set :keke:

Also, Red Fang are indeed great, definitely give them a chance:
Prehistoric Dog (plus hilarious video):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Vcoq-QRo4

Psychedelius fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 12, 2011

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!
Posting this because gently caress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg2v2qB2jWA

Not nearly enough love for Colour Haze in this thread. Lets hope they work out the technical problems with the new album shortly, because it sounds like it's going to be incredible.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Psychedelius posted:

Also, Red Fang are indeed great, definitely give them a chance:
Prehistoric Dog (plus hilarious video):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Vcoq-QRo4

Hilarious vid and great song! I'll definitely be checking out more from these guys.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
I haven't heard the new Red Fang yet but is it as enjoyable as Prehistoric Dog? Their first album wasn't bad but nothing was as good as that first track and I was disappointed with it.

Anyway I've been listening to a lot of Causa Sui's Summer Sessions since they were posted about back a little bit ago and goddamn if I'm not loving the saxaphone on Volumes 2 and 3. What a great addition to that sound.

treetheheavy
Mar 28, 2005

Nothing as enjoyable as Prehistoric Dog on the couple of listens I've given it so far. It's a better album overall though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I didn't even know they released a new album. I'm all over that poo poo now.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
The new Atomic Bitchwax album "The Local Fuzz" is available on their website as a download for 9 bucks, and my first impression is that it kills. I was pretty disappointed by their last record, but this one is right up my alley. No vocals, no cheesy synths, and no real songs, just 42 minutes of back-to-back riffs. There are some general themes that they play around with, but most of the parts are very different, and it's hard to pick favourites. All the classic Bitchwax hallmarks are here: soaring leads, squelchy filtered bass licks and tricky drum patterns, and they even throw in some tasty organ.

Velocirocktor posted:

Anyway I've been listening to a lot of Causa Sui's Summer Sessions since they were posted about back a little bit ago and goddamn if I'm not loving the saxaphone on Volumes 2 and 3. What a great addition to that sound.

I don't normally dig sax but I love it on those Causa Sui albums. Especially love "Eugenie" and "Red Valley" off the third volume.

Thalamus posted:

Posting this because gently caress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg2v2qB2jWA

Not nearly enough love for Colour Haze in this thread. Lets hope they work out the technical problems with the new album shortly, because it sounds like it's going to be incredible.

Yeah that recording is amazing, definitely some of the best CH live footage I've seen. Only the pro-shot show from German TV in 2007 tops that one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP7AfqHF5QU
You can find that whole show on Dime a Dozen if you're so inclined (and Dime isn't shut down).

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 13, 2011

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

The new Atomic Bitchwax album "The Local Fuzz" is available on their website as a download for 9 bucks, and my first impression is that it kills. I was pretty disappointed by their last record, but this one is right up my alley. No vocals, no cheesy synths, and no real songs, just 42 minutes of back-to-back riffs. There are some general themes that they play around with, but most of the parts are very different, and it's hard to pick favourites. All the classic Bitchwax hallmarks are here: soaring leads, squelchy filtered bass licks and tricky drum patterns, and they even throw in some tasty organ.

Seconding the love for this record. Bought it at my local dealer with the comment that it's pure fusion jazz without the blowers or anything. I don't know thing one about fusion so I've no idea of this statement's accuracy but the album rules.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...

NuclearGuru posted:

Ufomammut/YOB/Bongripper tour, laying waste to everything in their path.

gently caress me, that would be a world-ender. We'd all be dragged down into the crushing abyss, where unnameable horrors from beyond time would shred our souls and melt our faces.

Speaking of melting faces, I stumbled upon a new (to me) band that you all should check out: Fister They appear to have only one full album, entitled Bronsonic, which appears to be all about how awesome Charles Bronson is, or something. Anyway, fuzzy, sludgey riffs abound, check 'em out.

Edit: That Olde Growth album is loving amazing.

Diseased Yak fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 13, 2011

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
I've been on a bit of a drone kick this week, but I'm having trouble finding something that suits my taste. I really dig a bunch of the recommendations in the OP and figure maybe yall can point me in the right direction. Random/glitch/noise types just don't do it for me right now. Early Earth seems so close, super simple and focused on the guitar's tone, but the sound is way too clean.
Its hard to explain, maybe an example of what I want will help: http://soundcloud.com/modemo/evil-procrastination

It doesn't have to be that simple, but maybe something I can play around with, or play over, or keep on in the background w/o getting too distracted. I dunno... Doom Goons, can ya help a brother out?

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008

Xlyfindel posted:

I've been on a bit of a drone kick this week, but I'm having trouble finding something that suits my taste. I really dig a bunch of the recommendations in the OP and figure maybe yall can point me in the right direction. Random/glitch/noise types just don't do it for me right now. Early Earth seems so close, super simple and focused on the guitar's tone, but the sound is way too clean.
Its hard to explain, maybe an example of what I want will help: http://soundcloud.com/modemo/evil-procrastination

It doesn't have to be that simple, but maybe something I can play around with, or play over, or keep on in the background w/o getting too distracted. I dunno... Doom Goons, can ya help a brother out?

Try Black Boned Angel.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Yessss... That'll do nicely. Looks like they've got a number of releases out going back a ways, should keep me busy.
Thanks

edit: any others?

Xlyfindel fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 14, 2011

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I know it's been a long, grueling six months or so since "Run Thick in the Night" was released, but U.S. Christmas are set to release their next album, "The Valley Path" in May.

http://neurotrecordings.blogspot.com/2011/04/usx-appalachian-masters-of-dark.html

Nate Hall of USX also has a solo record coming out in the near future.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
For drone, check out monument of urns, black shape of nexus, bones of seabirds and uhhh ill post more when i get home.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
Wow, thanks a ton for the Colour Haze reccomendation, can't believe I've never heard of them. Found this incredibly good video of some dudes longboarding downhill for a solid 4 minutes to one of their songs that just completely melted my brain, thought I'd share: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGUaxkmfv5c&feature=related

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Not sure, stoner rock? Either way it kicks rear end. Brazilian band Monster Coyote from their album Stoner to the Boner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GcaprXtZyw

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
Oh, maaaaaan...

In June, Cathedral is coming to Brazil for the first and last time ever.

The downside: instead of coming to a major city, such as São Paulo, like any other sensible band, like Anathema (who's also coming, and in the very same month as well... but I don't think I'll see them because We're Here Because We're Here just sucks so much), they're coming to the small countryside town of Varginha for a festival called Roça'n Roll. It's a city that's only famous for being the Brazilian equivalent of Roswell, sort of. Somehow I find it oddly fitting for the band, though.

The trouble is I will have to take a plane and then go through a 400km bus trip. This, plus tickets, transportation (cab rides), food and hotel, is going to completely ruin my finances, but it'll be worth because it's loving Cathedral.

Dammit, I dunno whether I should get excited or pissed, so I'm pretty much both right now.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Anyone enjoying the new Pentagram album? I've had a chance to listen to it a few times now, and it's a pretty cool record overall. The highlights are 8, Into the Ground and Death in First Person. The album really picks up after the first two tracks, which are mediocre as openers really.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 15, 2011

Cobra Sandwich
Mar 7, 2011

MR.B posted:

Has anybody else picked up Red Fang - Murder The Mountains? I got it this morning and have had it on play since. Fantastic record.

'Wires':http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loKg4HBxqaQ

Just picked up the new Red Fang today and it is indeed fantastic! Only heard about this band recently and have been blasting Prehistoric Dog at my workmates ever since.

Would be cool to see em live.

Clean Cup
Mar 4, 2009

keratas posted:

Anyone enjoying the new Pentagram album? I've had a chance to listen to it a few times now, and it's a pretty cool record overall. The highlights are 8, Into the Ground and Death in First Person. The album really picks up after the first two tracks, which are mediocre as openers really.

Yeah, I like it a lot. It's not a perfect album but it's a solid release. I played it for some friends yesterday and a couple of them are going to pick up copies.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power
If anyone has a band that released record in the last year and wants it reviewed on stereokiller.com shoot me a PM.

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!

amplifier worship posted:

Wow, thanks a ton for the Colour Haze reccomendation, can't believe I've never heard of them. Found this incredibly good video of some dudes longboarding downhill for a solid 4 minutes to one of their songs that just completely melted my brain, thought I'd share: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGUaxkmfv5c&feature=related

That's such a great song that it convinced my to buy four of their albums after I heard it. Totally worth it.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
My sunny summer afternoon plans:
{a whole bunch of orange, including great lakes orange peel ale, some orange goblin thru an orange amp, and the orange box version of portal through which i wil jump into orange portals by the severals}

edit: Also, call me crazy, but Ocean Chief's "Tor" and "Fluidage" definitely deserve to be on the reccomended listening list for the OP. Ocean Chief - Through Iraq I Ran is one of the few full versions available online as most of their tracks are too long to be on YouTube. This is seriously heavy Swedish doom that needs to be heard. If you haven't heard "Sorceror on Dope" with your amp turned up to 11, you're missing out.

"Leagues of slow riffage fuzz, awesome vocals, huge power trio sludge from SWEDEN. You need a back up bag to get through this one. Better get a spare lighter too. THIS IS DOOM!"
doommood
AllThatIsHeavy.com

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 17, 2011

NuclearGuru
Jan 4, 2011

amplifier worship posted:

My sunny summer afternoon plans:

orange stuff

edit: Also, call me crazy, but Ocean Chief's "Tor" and "Fluidage" definitely deserve to be on the reccomended listening list for the OP. Ocean Chief - Through Iraq I Ran is one of the few full versions available online as most of their tracks are too long to be on YouTube. This is seriously heavy Swedish doom that needs to be heard. If you haven't heard "Sorceror on Dope" with your amp turned up to 11, you're missing out.

"Leagues of slow riffage fuzz, awesome vocals, huge power trio sludge from SWEDEN. You need a back up bag to get through this one. Better get a spare lighter too. THIS IS DOOM!"
doommood
AllThatIsHeavy.com

This man is livin the dream. Ocean Chief rules too.

NuclearGuru fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 16, 2011

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know what the drumming style is called starting here in Orange Goblin's "Beginner's Guide to Suicide"? I know I've heard it all over the place, but I really like the way they used it, and I don't know what it is called.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEEo-smePjc&t=4m30s

Also, for the love of god, don't post a 2500x3500 timg. And don't quote it if someone does. I have a pretty good connection speed, and those images took me 15-20 seconds to load. Every image host ever lets you resize images as you host. There's no need for a beer can to take up twice the space of my entire monitor.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Sounds like a regular uptempo rock beat.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also, for the love of god, don't post a 2500x3500 timg. And don't quote it if someone does. I have a pretty good connection speed, and those images took me 15-20 seconds to load. Every image host ever lets you resize images as you host. There's no need for a beer can to take up twice the space of my entire monitor.

My computer is slower than every beard in this thread, man. I'm running 128mb on a 2G hard drive with parts I found in the trash and slammed together into a barely functional box just because I'd rather spend the $200 on records and brews and I know how to put together a lovely computer out of pieces I found on the street. If my timg screws up your monitor, I thoroughly apologize, but in all seriousness, you probably need a better monitor/resolution. This thing actually successfully serves as a space heater, and it takes upwards of ten minutes just to turn it on. We're talking Moss slow, here.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

cheap sunglasses posted:

Sounds like a regular uptempo rock beat.
I guess you're right. On second listen, it's probably the bass/harmonica bit that I was liking so much with the rest of the song, and I just noticed the drums more.

I run at 1600x1200, on a 20+ inch 4x3 ratio monitor (which is more than a 20+ inch 16x9 because math). The timg works just fine once it finishes loading. I just don't want to have to scroll past 5000 pixels worth of images waiting to be loaded, and I don't want to have to worry that I've been knocked off my internet connection by the neighbor's lovely wiring again because your 3 megabyte beer can is loading slow.

Oh yeah, and don't image leech. Seriously, you can get probated/banned for it.

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

There isn't enough Dozer love in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAPxD5P9ZFA

smile.jpg
Jun 15, 2010

There isn't enough Routes love in this thread either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2w436wX6bw

Also now I feel obligated to check out some Dozer. Any recommendations?

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

smile.jpg posted:

You can't go wrong with either Beyond Colossal or Through The Eyes of Heathens.

Colossal even has a bit of Neil Fallon.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I just picked this up a couple days ago. Cheesy as gently caress. A+ would buy again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VNfCCxnHSg

(from "Stoned", by Acid Witch)

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I guess you're right. On second listen, it's probably the bass/harmonica bit that I was liking so much with the rest of the song, and I just noticed the drums more.

I've heard that kind of beat referred to as "boogie rock" before.

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

smile.jpg posted:

There isn't enough Routes love in this thread either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2w436wX6bw

Beyond colossal and Through the eyes of heathens if you like stoner metal.

In the tail of the comet and Madre de dios for desert stoner rock goodness.

Call it conspiracy is kinda meh.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh yeah, and don't image leech. Seriously, you can get probated/banned for it.

Erm, call me crazy, but I think that if this particular comment is directed towards me (which it seems to be) then I have grossly misconstrued the concept of image leeching.

fake edit: So I understood it was a bandwidth thing, but I had the direction of usage reversed, my bad; I just generally felt like anything Google Images turned up was on page 1 was safe, I'll edit that out.

also: Dozer is loving killer and if you dig those guys, check out Sasquatch for some serious rock.

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 17, 2011

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Roadburn: foregoing Shrinebuilder for other bands and not regretting it one bit.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I walked out after the first shrinebuilder song to see ufomammut, but man it was worth it. It was such an amazing weekend, I'm actually still here typing this from a coffeeshop :420:

Will post more about it when I get back but I can safely say sunn o))) definitely destroyed me more than any other band but Cough and Void of Voices were my favourite surprise acts.

What I saw of shrinebuilder was great though!

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 18, 2011

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
I just emerged from finals and finally got around to picking up Murder The Mountains. This is amazing, I'm glad I have a new jam for 4/20. That said, my favourite stoner rock has to be Truckfighters and Fu Manchu, I prefer that to pretty much everything else I've heard within the genre(s). Any suggestions regarding comparable tunes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Silber posted:

I just emerged from finals and finally got around to picking up Murder The Mountains. This is amazing, I'm glad I have a new jam for 4/20. That said, my favourite stoner rock has to be Truckfighters and Fu Manchu, I prefer that to pretty much everything else I've heard within the genre(s). Any suggestions regarding comparable tunes?

If you like the Fu check out Nebula, especially their older stuff. Eddie and Ruben played in Fu Manchu up until "In Search Of..." and their early sound with Nebula is very similar.
Truckfighters are part of a contingent of great Swedish stoner rock bands- look into Asteroid, Dozer, Lowrider and Sgt. Sunshine if you dig them. Dozer were already mentioned on this page, and I'd go with other folks' recommendations and get "Through The Eyes of Heathens" first out of their stuff. I prefer Asteroid's second album to their first but they're both good. Sgt. Sunshine's self-titled is one of the best "stoner rock" releases I've ever heard so I'd recommend that one the most out of all my suggestions.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 18, 2011