Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Went and played pickup yesterday. The ice was terrible, Im pretty certain the zamboni didn't even scrape any decree of ice, I think it just put down water.

In addition to having really rough ice to start, I hit a hole while skating backwards on D and slid on my rear end. It was also relatively warm so the ice was pretty soft, making hard turns a little suspect. I lost edges several times given my skates are on a new sharpening within the last 2 sessions I've skated.

Overall it was a pretty low scoring skate but pretty high paced. I couldn't find the net on anything and I had 2 really good deflections. Its nice to see the same guys week after week and you eventually know how everyone plays. I had a lot of fun again and I cant wait to get into a league on ice though my roller league is about to start up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh yeah, we got called for icing while we were on the PK :banjo:

Ref realized it after the bench was yelling and he gave us a faceoff in the offensive zone. We got a few good shots on goal and almost got a shorty from it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

trilljester posted:

I can't stop laughing at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZcUcw7rDuw&feature=related

Laughing in loving amazement. I think I stumbled on to this video in our old player thread. drat.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

trilljester posted:

I can't stop laughing at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZcUcw7rDuw&feature=related
His skates are so wide when he does normal forward or backward strides. His strides are so short, I'm surprised he can generate any power.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The dude is really fast and agile, but its always funny seeing videos like that. And it sucks skating at rinks after they have power skating sessions. Nothing like crazy grooves dug into the ice to try and play a game on.

One of my favorite videos is stickhandling beyond belief with sean skinner. Focuses more on stickhandling and skating with the puck than just skating alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEiLh0vwd7c

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

^^^ I kept waiting for the cast of Charles In Charge to appear on the ice.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Our pick up game was after a Bantam AAA game last week and it was like trying to skate on the surface of the moon. I asked the rink guy if the zamboni was hosed up and he told me he would have to just scrape it 2-3 times and then flood it before it was "good" again.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh yeah, we got called for icing while we were on the PK :banjo:

Ref realized it after the bench was yelling and he gave us a faceoff in the offensive zone. We got a few good shots on goal and almost got a shorty from it.

Ref hosed up twice on this play, it shoulda been a centre ice faceoff :colbert:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Petit.Conan posted:

Our pick up game was after a Bantam AAA game last week and it was like trying to skate on the surface of the moon. I asked the rink guy if the zamboni was hosed up and he told me he would have to just scrape it 2-3 times and then flood it before it was "good" again.
I hate when that happens. What's worse is when they won't even resurface it at all after a figure skating practice. Divots galore.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Petit.Conan posted:

Something sounds wrong with the ice - probably too soft to begin with. I play at two rinks, one that has suuuuuper soft ice, and one that has relatively hard ice. Each is home to a junior AA team. Only the rink with the soft ice gets noticeably different after the kids skate on it.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

shyguy posted:

I hate when that happens. What's worse is when they won't even resurface it at all after a figure skating practice. Divots galore.

Try playing after sledge hockey. Only time I've ever literally tripped over the blue line.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bigmike posted:

Try playing after sledge hockey. Only time I've ever literally tripped over the blue line.

You should be careful man, it's icy out there :smug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The ref's crease at my lunchtime skate is always chewed all to hell.. like someone was toepicking it for a half hour straight.

There's usually huge chips out of one of the faceoff circles too, someone goes loving nuts on that ice and they need to stop it, because I feel like I'm gonna lose my balance whenever I skate over it. Once I find the chips, I usually just hang out on the other side of the rink to avoid it.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

robcat posted:

The site said gear may be available for per-session use in the class so I'm hoping they just have some crappy old things to use. Definitely getting a cup though...that's not really an ideal "borrowed" piece of equipment.

Just to follow up, I needed to have helmet gloves and a stick. Next week! I was blown away at how much equipment everyone had. I was under the impression everyone would be out there in sweatpants with a borrowed stick. There were probably only 2 people out of 40 that didn't have a full set of gear.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Two stick n pucks + coaching final game of the season = all day at the rink:cool:

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

Dangerllama posted:

Something sounds wrong with the ice - probably too soft to begin with. I play at two rinks, one that has suuuuuper soft ice, and one that has relatively hard ice. Each is home to a junior AA team. Only the rink with the soft ice gets noticeably different after the kids skate on it.

Yeah the ice in there is really soft.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

robcat posted:

Just to follow up, I needed to have helmet gloves and a stick. Next week! I was blown away at how much equipment everyone had. I was under the impression everyone would be out there in sweatpants with a borrowed stick. There were probably only 2 people out of 40 that didn't have a full set of gear.

If you're pretty new to skating I would get elbow and shin pads too because they'll save you a lot of bruises and give you more confidence in trying new things where you might fall.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Thufir posted:

If you're pretty new to skating I would get elbow and shin pads too because they'll save you a lot of bruises and give you more confidence in trying new things where you might fall.

Knowing me I'm probably just going to get everything else as well. So much for signing up for the class so I could try it out without committing, guess I should've known I'd end up jumping right in.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I used a 85 flex stick today and I think I will be sticking with a sub 100 flex from now on.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
67 for the win, really helped me out since I'm only 130 pounds. Now if I could just find gloves that will protect me that I'm not swimming in. Curse my dainty lady hands.

Also if you're in socal, Hockeytron is quite awesome and will call pickup is the way to go.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I went from a 87 flex (more like 105-ish after cutting) Senior X:20 to a 67 flex Intermediate (I'm short) TotalOne. The speed on my wrister is significantly quicker now that I can actually bend the loving thing. I love it. It makes my X:20 seem like a log.

Everyone on my team calls it the noodle.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 20, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
My snap shot was horrible with my 100 flex and I could never get it down. Its improved tons with the 85 flex.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

My snap shot was horrible with my 100 flex and I could never get it down. Its improved tons with the 85 flex.

How big are you? I have an 85 that's probably in the 90s after being cut and I don't feel like I get a ton of flex. Wonder if I should try a 77 flex (before cutting). I'm 165.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I got a 65 intermediate (it's probably closer to 68 since I cut it) but it's awesome. I'm so light (145 lbs) that it flexes perfectly for me.

also was only 35 dollars on clearance so that's nice.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Ugh the stick conversation. I have not been able to find a stick that works too well for me since I had a z-bubble as a teenager. Best I have is a junior CCM Octogun but the lie is still a bit off. Intermediate sticks are too tall (I'm 5'1") and end up being too stiff by the time I cut them down, even the whippiest ones. Junior sticks are so drat light and never have a good lie. Seems like nothing anyone makes is really appropriate.

Similar issues with skates. I have to wear kids' skates and while they are cheaper and I appreciate that, cheaper = lower quality for sure, even in the "high-end" skates, and they don't actually make many of the best quality skates in kids sizes anyway. They bank on the skates being outgrown after a season so they aren't made to last much more than that. And I always need to get them re-profiled as the biomechanics of an adult female and the biomechanics of a prepubescent male are, well, not at all the same, even if the two may have the same size foot.

Annoying. :argh:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Topoisomerase posted:

Ugh the stick conversation. I have not been able to find a stick that works too well for me since I had a z-bubble as a teenager. Best I have is a junior CCM Octogun but the lie is still a bit off. Intermediate sticks are too tall (I'm 5'1") and end up being too stiff by the time I cut them down, even the whippiest ones. Junior sticks are so drat light and never have a good lie. Seems like nothing anyone makes is really appropriate.

Annoying. :argh:

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Yea my new stick is an 85 flex and I left it uncut. But my stick handling was suffering way too much. So I cut it down to the 96 spot last week and I am maneuvering all over the zone now. As for flex Ill just muscle it.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

How big are you? I have an 85 that's probably in the 90s after being cut and I don't feel like I get a ton of flex. Wonder if I should try a 77 flex (before cutting). I'm 165.

5'11 215ish

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Thufir posted:

Just pulled the trigger on some X:40 skates to replace my X:20s that I've realized are 1/2 size too big. Anyone ever bake your own skates at home? Ice Warehouse has a video guide that makes it not look too hard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBqRt701oZQ

UPS delivered my skates too late to take them to get sharpened today, hopefully the guy can do it Thursday night so I can wear them this weekend :ohdear:

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Anyone have a good method for getting iron-on numbers off their jersey? I have picked and scratched a good chunk of the old numbers off, but there's still too much there for new numbers to be heat-pressed on according to the guy with the heat press. If I can't get these numbers off, I'm thinking of buying tackle twill numbers and sewing them over the remains of the ironed on numbers. I suppose that will work.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

Anyone have a good method for getting iron-on numbers off their jersey? I have picked and scratched a good chunk of the old numbers off, but there's still too much there for new numbers to be heat-pressed on according to the guy with the heat press. If I can't get these numbers off, I'm thinking of buying tackle twill numbers and sewing them over the remains of the ironed on numbers. I suppose that will work.

What team/league you on this year?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I went out and bought white laces for my inline skates, because they originally came with black laces. For some reason, I don't like black laces. I'm the same way with stick tape for ice; I must use white tape on the blade.

Am I just weird?

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

shyguy posted:

I went out and bought white laces for my inline skates, because they originally came with black laces. For some reason, I don't like black laces. I'm the same way with stick tape for ice; I must use white tape on the blade.

Am I just weird?

White tape on the blade disguises release point (or so I've heard tell; could be it's a myth goalies spread). Also, black tape on the top chews up your gloves faster.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I actually stopped using tape on the butt end years ago. Tacki-Mac grips work great, and have given my gloves better longevity. This is the same model that I use:

http://www.tackimac.com/shop/products/Wrapped-Texture-Command-Grip.html

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

shyguy posted:

I actually stopped using tape on the butt end years ago. Tacki-Mac grips work great, and have given my gloves better longevity. This is the same model that I use:

http://www.tackimac.com/shop/products/Wrapped-Texture-Command-Grip.html

I could never do that. Few things in this world give me more pleasure than peeling away layers of cloth and glue and sweat and dirt that have fused into a single mass after a year or two.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

White tape on the blade disguises release point (or so I've heard tell; could be it's a myth goalies spread). Also, black tape on the top chews up your gloves faster.
White tape may hide the release, but black hides the puck. When it comes down to it, I don't know that it makes that big of a diff. I play goalie, too, and I've never really payed attention to the color tape. I can always see the puck, so maybe it's time to try some white?

I will agree, though, I never put black up top. Even playing goal where you don't have your hand up there too often, it just darkens your gloves so fast.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

coldwind posted:

White tape may hide the release, but black hides the puck. When it comes down to it, I don't know that it makes that big of a diff. I play goalie, too, and I've never really payed attention to the color tape. I can always see the puck, so maybe it's time to try some white?

I will agree, though, I never put black up top. Even playing goal where you don't have your hand up there too often, it just darkens your gloves so fast.

Blade tape color is entirely superstition so far as I'm concerned. I use white because of the practical reasons to use it for the knob and because I don't want to have to buy both colors.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

coldwind posted:

Is this really a thing for people? I usually wear out my palms in about a year, so it doesn't matter what color I've got up there.

I honestly don't think the color of tape really matters at almost any level in terms of tactics. Hrm...although now that I'm watching the Broons/Habs game, almost every one of those guys has black tape.

e: A guy on my team uses camo tape

We give him all kinds of poo poo.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 22, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

Blade tape color is entirely superstition so far as I'm concerned. I use white because of the practical reasons to use it for the knob and because I don't want to have to buy both colors.
I think it could (might) maybe possibly work. Except that most people don't tape their entire blade, so you can see the end of the blade and your brain can easily (probably subconsciously) just fill it all in. If the whole blade was taped, though, it might actually blend in pretty well.

If it looks like that puck is just floating around out there, I could see it maybe working. Although, the brain might fill in the blade anyways. Of course, it might affect other things like YOUR ability to look down and pick up the puck, or your teammates, not seeing your blade, might stop passing to you.

I think I'm gonna tape up all white for my next game and see what the goalie thinks.

Dangerllama posted:

Is this really a thing for people? I usually wear out my palms in about a year, so it doesn't matter what color I've got up there.

I honestly don't think the color of tape really matters at almost any level in terms of tactics. Hrm...although now that I'm watching the Broons/Habs game, almost every one of those guys has black tape.
Maybe not. I dunno, the palms on all my gloves look pretty gross. Like I said before, even as a goalie with a black tape handle, my blocker palm got dark enough fast enough that I didn't want the black up there at all.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Dangerllama posted:

Is this really a thing for people?

Yeah, it's a thing. I'm not sure how firmly established the notion that it actually hasten wear is, but the dye definitely does rub off pretty easily, which for me is enough on its own to prefer white. Also, when that palm hole inevitably does develop, then they dye is rubbing off on your hand.