Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankomatic
Aug 22, 2007

I've got to get a picture of this!
Hey, PTN, just wanted to note that I've kind of run out of free time to work with, so I'm going to give up my spot on the warrior list before getting called, so hopefully that'll be a bit less of a hassle to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I actually can't stand Liao or Davion, so they can both go. They're both societies built around worship of the state/military, respectively.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mukaikubo posted:

...I did WARN you people that I was going to become the Clans' designated cheerleader. And would stop using contractions. This is but the first installment. :3:

I read this as:

Mukaikubo posted:

...I did WARN you people that I was going to become the Clans' designated cheerleader. And would stop using contraception. This is but the first installment. :3:

I was all ready to do the :stare: until I realized I read it wrong.

(I have no idea what we are voting for now, wasn't it clans and then Camachos and now it's Liao and Davion? I'm lost.)

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Arglebargle III posted:

I read this as:

(I have no idea what we are voting for now, wasn't it clans and then Camachos and now it's Liao and Davion? I'm lost.)

Vote for nachos. It is an always welcome standby in times of struggle.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

I actually can't stand Liao or Davion, so they can both go. They're both societies built around worship of the state/military, respectively.
Hanse Davion one said that either you can oppress the gently caress out of the people or make their lives better, and both result in people being pissed off at you and take about as much effort so you may as well actually care about your peons.

Except he said it in a nice way.

Hanse Davion is my kind of leader TBH.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Hanse Davion one said that either you can oppress the gently caress out of the people or make their lives better, and both result in people being pissed off at you and take about as much effort so you may as well actually care about your peons.

Well, if you made their lives better they're slightly less likely to be shootin pissed.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

The Confederation has free healthcare. :colbert:

Liao takes care of its people. The Confederation is just misunderstood. They aren't the big evil space communists that just what the other States want people to think.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

And that's a very practical way of looking at things, but the whole state is basically just a way for the AFFS to get people and gear. They dump more money in to military R&D than anyone but still have wide swaths of illiterate populace, because being able to build ER lasers to invade their neighbors with is more important than trying to have more than two dozen prosperous worlds out of 300.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 20, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Popy posted:

The Confederation has free healthcare. :colbert:

Liao takes care of its people. The Confederation is just misunderstood. They aren't the big evil space communists that just what the other States want people to think.

I always wondered what happened to the disabled and such when Davion captured Capellan worlds, since the FS has no widespread social network to speak of.

"but I'm crippled and can't work. How will I eat?"

"Who cares? You're free now! AFFS away!"

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

I always wondered what happened to the disabled and such when Davion captured Capellan worlds, since the FS has no widespread social network to speak of.

"but I'm crippled and can't work. How will I eat?"

"Who cares? You're free now! AFFS away!"

They call J.G. Wentworth and get a cash settlement...(I despise those drat commercials!)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The truly Davion response to "But how will I eat?" would be a backhandedly racist "You eat with your mouth, you poor uneducated chinaman." and then walking away while eating a steak the officer inexplicably had been carrying around.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mukaikubo posted:

Vote for nachos. It is an always welcome standby in times of struggle.

Actually I prefer dim sum to nachos immensely, so I'm going to vote for Liao. For delicious dumplings!

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Zaodai posted:

The truly Davion response to "But how will I eat?" would be a backhandedly racist "You eat with your mouth, you poor uneducated chinaman." and then walking away while eating a steak the officer inexplicably had been carrying around.
Looks like ~500 years of the CC getting the crap kicked out of it has gone to your head :smug:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Xmas Future posted:

Looks like ~500 years of the CC getting the crap kicked out of it has gone to your head :smug:

In a universe full of Mary Sues, someone has to be the evil space minorities that always lose.

But hey, good luck with that whole "Clan Invasion" thing you guys are dealing with. We'll be over here faaaar away from the combat zone, going about our normal, everyday child killing business. :smug:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

In a universe full of Mary Sues, someone has to be the evil space minorities that always lose.

But hey, good luck with that whole "Clan Invasion" thing you guys are dealing with. We'll be over here faaaar away from the combat zone, going about our normal, everyday child killing business. :smug:

Liao hasnt "lost" since 3028.

It's now 3085.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Are we talking main timeline or alternate timeline? You people are confusing the hell out of me.

The CC certainly gets roughed up in just about every major war for the late part of the 2000s and the early part of the 3000s. And they certainly have a perception of being the whipping boy of the IS, given that their territory (as far as area covered, not density) is smaller than everyone else.

If only their leadership weren't always batshit insane.

[EDIT]
Yeah, Sun-Tzu does a pretty good job of jerking people around. Plus he knows how to come in and kick people when they're down to reclaim a good chunk of former CC lands. He's evil (at least tangentally) but at least he's not comic book supervillain evil.
VVVVVVVV

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 20, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Liao hasnt "lost" since 3028.

It's now 3085.

This is because Sun-Tzu Liao is one of the more underrated badass political operators the Inner Sphere has to offer. The TRUE heir of the cunning of the Fox. :colbert:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

Are we talking main timeline or alternate timeline? You people are confusing the hell out of me.

The CC certainly gets roughed up in just about every major war for the late part of the 2000s and the early part of the 3000s. And they certainly have a perception of being the whipping boy of the IS, given that their territory (as far as area covered, not density) is smaller than everyone else.

If only their leadership weren't always batshit insane.

Main timeline. They took lumps in the Succession Wars but spent the entire invasion and FCCW eras not suffering any setbacks, and got through the Jihad with minimal losses to the point that the CCAF is the biggest army in the Dark Age era.

In the PTN timeline, though, they're dust. Davion and Marik can both bring their entire armies down on each other, and IF the CC is lucky, the Grand Base Duchy will still be around when Davion and Marik take Sian and start fighting each other.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah but for I think the majority of casual fans nothing after 3063 exists because none of the video games or popular non-tabletop stuff covers that. (Because it gets dumb.)

Mechcommander 2 was worth the free download, I had a lot of fun with it and with the cheesy FMV cutscenes and ohhh boy, were the Liaos a terrible stereotype. It's one of those things that's so cheesy you can't help but be amused, but it fails miserably at being related to China or even Space China. The costumes are of course ridiculous, the acting is ridiculous, and the blatant misuse of Chinese proverbs and mispronunciations of Chinese names is hilarious if you speak the language. "Xin Sheng" is not remotely acceptable as a greeting or form of address in modern Chinese. For a second I thought the Liao character was supposed to be some kind of born-again Christian until I remembered where that phrase came from. I suppose one must make allowances for SPAAAACE though.

(I'm also vaguely annoyed at the way the game gives Chinese names to Liao 'mechs but not for any of the other languages. LAO HU and SHA YU and MEN SHEN could all easily be rendered into English as Tiger, Shark, and Caryatid, respectively. You don't see that kind of thing with the other mech types, even though the Steiners ostensibly speak German and the Kuritas ostensibly speak Japanese.)

I kind of wish everyone was as stereotyped as the Liaos though. Then instead of just Fu-Manchu villains we could have Steiner royalty running around in Lederhosen, Kurita guys wearing Kimonos and tonsures, and Davion officers wearing Elizabethan ruffs and poofy culottes with tights. And the Marik guys could wear something too, I guess. Maybe turbans? In my head the Mariks are Sikhs now. Basically if everyone wore 16th century clothing from their cultures and not just the Space Chinese, that would be awesome. The Clans would be so confused.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 20, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Well there is a Hatamoto-Chi, which sounds Japanese.

Arglebargle III posted:

If his mechwarrior stops using contraceptives, she might inevitably find herself using contractions. Just saying.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 20, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

(I'm also vaguely annoyed at the way the game gives Chinese names to Liao 'mechs but not for any of the other languages. LAO HU and SHA YU and MEN SHEN could all easily be rendered into English as Tiger, Shark, and Caryatid, respectively. You don't see that kind of thing with the other mech types, even though the Steiners ostensibly speak German and the Kuritas ostensibly speak Japanese.)

:eng101:

Maybe not in MechCommander 2 you don't see it but there's a number of instances of native languages being used to designate mechs. For example, the Vulture was originally codenamed the Hagetaka due to the Kuritans first encountering it, and of course there's the Daishi.

With just a bit of looking, one would find instances of the Steiners naming mechs using German words and the Kuritans naming mechs using Japanese. For example the Kuritans have mechs named No-Daichi, Daimyo, Bishamon, Banzai, Akuma, and Hatamoto-Chi, just to name a few.

Admittedly it gets tougher with the Steiners since I think the Hauptmann is the only Battlemech in their arsenal with a German name. I could bullshit it a bit with the Nordic designations for clan 'mechs like Thor and Loki but that's way too much of a stretch.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Arglebargle III posted:

I kind of wish everyone was as stereotyped as the Liaos though. Then instead of just Fu-Manchu villains we could have Steiner royalty running around in Lederhosen, Kurita guys wearing Kimonos and tonsures, and Davion officers wearing Elizabethan ruffs and poofy culottes with tights. And the Marik guys could wear something too, I guess. Probably spandex. Basically if everyone wore 16th century clothing from their cultures and not just the Space Chinese, that would be awesome. The Clans would be so confused.

This is the best reason you've ever given for anything ever. Although I thought that the Kuritans did wear kimonos and such for formal occasions.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Draconis Combine has quite a few mechs with (basic) Japanese names, and their characters in the fluff are portrayed as very stereotypically Japanese. They do wear kimono, and carry katanas. They drink sake and eat rice, and they employ ninjas who dress in black pajamas, carry swords, and throw shuriken rather than carrying guns.

I think the main issue you have is the particular way the primarily American and European authors deal with those stereotypes. For the Cappellans they go with something from the late 1800s to make them villainously Chinese and over the top, but the Draconis Combine get to be samurai in space, which as a considerably more positive view in the American/European mindset than old school Charlie Chan depiction of the Chinese.

All the Great Houses are stereotypes, it's just the Cappellans end up with a less friendly version. If the Draconis Combine ended up being WW2 era Japan, would you feel any better? Or if Steiner were Nazis instead of just aggressive and firepower focused?

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 20, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Angry_Ed posted:

Admittedly it gets tougher with the Steiners since I think the Hauptmann is the only Battlemech in their arsenal with a German name. I could bullshit it a bit with the Nordic designations for clan 'mechs like Thor and Loki but that's way too much of a stretch.

Blitzkrieg is a German name for a mech. I believe others exist as well.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Now I'm just having fun imagining the cheesy FMV cutscenes with the grumpy Steiner general growling at the screen while wearing bright green lederhosen and one of those silly hats with a feather in it, and the Davion major wearing a big poofy ball gown as she gives you orders. Possibly fanning herself with a peacock feather fan. That would equal the ridiculousness of the Liao woman's costume.

I'm not upset about how the Liaos are portrayed because it's just too cheesy to be upset about. Honestly it would be super fun to see Davion generals dressed in Elizabethan get-ups alongside the Liao stereotypes with their manadarin robes and Qing-dynasty caps.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 20, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Now I'm just having fun imagining the cheesy FMV cutscenes with the grumpy Steiner general growling at the screen while wearing bright green lederhosen and one of those silly hats with a feather in it, and the Davion major wearing a big poofy ball gown as she gives you orders. Possibly fanning herself with a peacock feather fan. That would equal the ridiculousness of the Liao woman's costume.

While I see where you're coming from, I think the reason Mandrissa Cho was all decked out in ceremonial wear as opposed to Colonel Renard and Major Kelly was due to her being a Capellan noblewoman instead of a military officer like the other two.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't forget a massive beer stein. Wearing lederhosen is likely one of the leading causes of alcoholism.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

According to the TRO, "Men Shen" is some kind of spirit doorman or something.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Trast posted:

Don't forget a massive beer stein. Wearing lederhosen is likely one of the leading causes of alcoholism.

I thought it was wearing one of those poofy Russian hats. But then I suppose you don't see too many Space Russians around. drat Space Cold War...

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I thought it was wearing one of those poofy Russian hats. But then I suppose you don't see too many Space Russians around. drat Space Cold War...

There's always the Tikonov Commonality :ussr:

Although that basically ends up becoming the Chaos March :smith:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 20, 2011

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, 门神 means door spirit, they're um... spirits who guard doors. That's what I thought caryatid meant until I looked it up just now. :doh: Okay so maybe that one doesn't translate perfectly to a single English word.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm also vaguely annoyed at the way the game gives Chinese names to Liao 'mechs but not for any of the other languages. LAO HU and SHA YU and MEN SHEN could all easily be rendered into English as Tiger, Shark, and Caryatid, respectively. You don't see that kind of thing with the other mech types, even though the Steiners ostensibly speak German and the Kuritas ostensibly speak Japanese.

Yes you do. The Draconis Combine dubbed the 'Mad Dog' the 'Hagetaka' (or Vulture), and for a long time that's how it appeared in the rosters.

There is also the:
Daishi (Clan Omnimech: Dire Wolf)
AKU-1X Akuma
SGH-2E Shogun
NG-C3A Naginata
HA-1O Hauptman
CRK-5003-2 Katana (a Kurita-variant of the Davion 'Crockett')
Masakari (Clan Omnimech: Warhawk)
OBK-M10 O-Bakemono
Hatamoto -Chi, -Mizu, -Kaze, -Hi, and -Ku
TYM-1A Toyama... and we're just now getting out of the Assault-weight designs

And, as another counter-argument, the Liao-specific 'Mech
EMP-6A Emperor

So yeah. I understand all of your other complaints, but that one is invalid. The old 'Mechs all have English names because it's either an old Star League name, or something that has been anglicized by the predominantly 'written-for-English-speakers' player base. That doesn't mean the name, as presented, is the actual name of the 'Mech.

"Charger" is most likely translated from "Great Warrior Who Charges" in Japanese, or something. It's just the closest possible translation that the poor idiots in the Federated Suns can pronounce.

Arglebargle III posted:

I kind of wish everyone was as stereotyped as the Liaos though. Then instead of just Fu-Manchu villains we could have Steiner royalty running around in Lederhosen, Kurita guys wearing Kimonos and tonsures, and Davion officers wearing Elizabethan ruffs and poofy culottes with tights. And the Marik guys could wear something too, I guess. Maybe turbans?

They do.

Davion 'Mechwarrior graduates of the New Avalon Military Academy wear loving spurs. Takashi Kurita would be naked without his Kimono. And Thomas Marik?

Well, just look at him!

Edit: And this probably sounded more caustic than it actually is. No, I find the 'stereotypes in space' to be hilarious because the Battletech developers don't even bother to hide it. Until the 17th Recon came along, the Davions were all Yosemite Sam in Space. Varmints.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 20, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, just look at him!

NO YOU

(am I doing it right?)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Couple things: the Emperor isn't Liao specific. Steiner builds it too, on Son Hoa.
The Toyama is named after ComStar Primus Conrad Toyama, so it gets a pass.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

PoptartsNinja posted:

Until the 17th Recon came along, the Davions were all Yosemite Sam in Space. Varmints.
The Davions have always been space British, not the space USA, the spurs just represent a cavalry soldier. The Cappellan march maybe, but the real space america died with the Terran Hegemony.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's taken two weeks, but I finally finished reading through this whole drat thread.

put me on the mechwarrior list please! I have PMs and also my username at gmail will work.

I've played megamek. Back in the late 80s I played a game or two of tabletop battletech. And I played [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleTech:_The_Crescent_Hawk%27s_Revenge[/url]Crescent Hawk's Revenge[/url] which was, if my memory serves (which it might not), a pretty faithful translation of the tabletop game to the PC.

However I never read any of the fluff so it's been an education getting through this thread.

Oh yeah did no-one else catch this?

Chronojam posted:

If his mechwarrior stops using contraceptives, she might inevitably find herself using contractions. Just saying.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Political Vote 3 Results (sorta):

Sam blinked in the harsh daylight—when had Somerset’s sun become ‘harsh’? She knelt quietly with the other 2nd Donegal prisoners, arms on her head. The sunlight was agony to her lightly-burned skin; and like pitons driven straight into her eye-sockets. Her head hadn’t even hurt this much after the first time she’d snuck an entire bottle of whiskey from her father’s liquor cabinet back when she’d turned thirteen. That had been to celebrate her induction into the Somerset military academy—and the resulting hangover had kept her sober through the entirety of her schooling.

If that headache was a symbol of the start of her life as a ‘Mechwarrior, it was only fitting her career ended with a worse one.

She blinked again, cast about her with bleary eyes. The whole of first battalion was here, it seemed. She counted a few missing—still fighting, she hoped, since the alternative was dead. Dead seemed far more likely with the speed the Clanners had simply overrun them. Her mind whirled, protesting the whole time. She pushed through it, counting; scratched her left wrist.

A Steel Viper soldier wearing a bizarre yet strangely serviceable serpentine camouflage set of body armor prowled past, an unfamiliar automatic rifle cradled in the crux of his arm. Sam was in no position to offer any real resistance.

He turned, facing away from the captive Donegal Guards. Over the tree line, the towering forms of ‘Mechs—second Donegal ‘Mechs—rose like leviathans. The Assault company! She counted eight, nine, ten still-functioning assault ‘Mechs, and felt her heart swell—for the briefest of moments.

A dark shadow blotted out the agonizing sun as a colossal, misshapen Clan design loomed over the collected prisoners. Assault Company made no move to fire—they simply filed straight into the killzone. The Clanners held their fire. What the hell?

“Your people have surrendered,” the Clanner said, turning to face his prisoners. Sam wanted dearly to punch the self-satisfied smirk off his face. Probably would’ve, if she felt there was a way she could get away with it without his fellows gunning her down before she got close. “You should be proud. Your regiment has been granted Hegira by the Fourth Viper Guards’ inestimable Star Colonel. You fought well.”

Nobody responded. With a resounding metal shriek, the doors of the Tigris ground open. The Clanner frowned. “… Such waste,” he growled under his breath. A dark figure loomed from within the dropship’s bay. Colonel Steiner’s Atlas, mammoth and threatening, had to crouch to fit through the tiny Leopard-class ship’s door. A misshapen Clan machine approached, stopped about three-hundred meters distant. Sam did her best to memorize it—heavy autocannon in one arm, lasers and a fist in the other. A face that seemed to parody the Atlas’ skull-like grin.

The Atlas’ loudspeakers crackled. “So… my people’ll go free whether or not I fight you?” Colonel Steiner asked, sounding perplexed.

“For the last time, Aff,” a female voice replied, her voice much clearer. Samantha frowned, either Star Colonel Dusk’s technicians were very thorough, or even the Clan speaker systems were more advanced. “They have disarmed and surrendered; they can leave unmolested.”

There was a pause. “What’re the stakes for this duel, Star Colonel?”

“If I win,” Dusk replied, “and you survive, you will become my bondsman. You will share with us your knowledge of the Lyran Commonwealth, freely. You will instruct us in the proper methods of these ‘Steiner Rules’ for dueling.”

“If—when I win,” Colonel Steiner declared, “I want information—”

“—Anything you care to know,” Dusk replied.

Caeser continued, as if he hadn’t been interrupted. “—I want one of your ‘Mechs—”

A Clan machine stepped forward; a heavy design. Sam blinked—it looked like a fire support platform, with two boxy missile pods on the end of a massive, wedge-shaped body. She swallowed—the Clans were willing to throw away a piece of assault-weight machinery to satisfy Dusk’s ego?

“—and a night with you.” Caeser finished, apparently unshaken. He was trying to unnerve the Clanner, she thought. A demand like that would’ve been met with instant refusal from a Kuritan (provided, of course, that it was one of the more liberal regiments that let mere women fight in ‘Mechs).

Star Colonel Dusk just laughed. “Bargained well, and done.”

“I only regret,” Caeser added darkly, “that we do not have a forest fire in which to duel.”

His Atlas kicked into gear as he and Dusk closed to about a two-hundred forty meters or so. They circled, well out of each others’ charge range. “How necessary is the fire,” Dusk asked calmly. “It seems a waste.”

“A good question,” Caeser countered, circling. Sam estimated—still at two-hundred forty meters. An odd range, but one Dusk was working to maintain. The Atlas wasn’t anywhere near quick enough to cover a distance that long. Did they really intend to just talk? “Are you the Children of Kerensky?”

“Yes,” Dusk replied calmly. Sam filed the information away, she wasn’t sure how useful it would be; or who would care.

“The fire is only vital for the truly important duels,” Caeser lied, believably enough. “It signifies both pilots’ resolve to die fighting.” Sam smirked, and was grateful that the Assault Company was recording this. If the Steel Vipers were willing to engage in patently insane duels—duels that would force them to give up their massive range and speed advantage… Sam blinked, her eyes widening in horror. A feeling of hopeless terror had just clutched her heart—and where the spirits of Caeser’s Legion seemed to swell at Caeser’s appearance, her own spirits sank.

“So it could be dispensed with,” Dusk replied. “That is fortunate. The loss of resources alone would quickly cripple the Lyran Commonwealth.”

Caeser paused. “It is a new custom,” he admitted. “We are still… working out some of the problems.”

The vile witch, Dusk, laughed maliciously, “That is also good to know, Colonel Caeser Steiner. I shall enjoy making you my bondsman.”

A sharply rising buzz filled the air, and Dusk’s ‘Mech lunged forward with impossible speed. Surprised by ninety-odd tons of assault ‘Mech, Caeser’s warding punch was a bit too slow. The Colonel’s Atlas rocked as Dusk plowed into it at over eighty kilometers-per-hour. Sam thought it would fall—but the Colonel was better than that. Throwing off his surprise, he delivered a pair of rabbit-punches to the Clan ‘Mech’s kidneys.

Dusk’s response was more brutal, less pugilistic. Her ‘Mech’s big fist slammed square into the Atlas’ shoulder; sending shards of armor clattering to the tarmac. The Colonel shifted, his right arm hanging broken and useless; the shoulder smashed beyond recognition. Dusk’s ‘Mech grabbed the limb on the backswing, smashed her foot into the Atlas’s lower leg, and tore the arm from its shoulder housing in the span of a few seconds.

Colonel Steiner staggered, his Gyros struggling to compensate for the ‘Mech’s sudden and very lopsided diet. His counter-kick caught Dusk’s machine in the knee—it buckled, robbing her—Sam hoped—of her speed advantage.

Dusk brandished the Atlas’ arm like a club, pulverizing only armor with her first swing. Her second found something more vital, crushing the Atlas’ heavy autocannon. She followed it up with a jab of her previously-unutilized right arm; punching the barrel of her heavy autocannon through the Atlas’ center torso. The weapon, punished by forces it was never designed to experience, exploded in a flare of electricity that made Sam’s hair stand on-end. Clearly, it was no autocannon. Worse—the explosion seemed to have damaged the Atlas’ gyro.

The Colonel’s machine staggered back, smoke pouring from the hole in its torso. Sam cringed—the Atlas was losing more than smoke. Shards of metal flew from the hole as the Assault ‘Mech’s gyro spun itself apart. The Atlas toppled, landing flat on its back.

Star Colonel Dusk’s ‘mech straightened, turned to face the prisoners. Sam smiled faintly—Dusk’s front armor was only barely recognizable as the same unblemished machine that had begun the fight. “Take the bondsmen,” Dusk commanded the guards. A firm hand closed on Sam’s upper arm. “Allow the other prisoners to return to the Donegal Guards. Perhaps they will fight better next time.”

“… We had a deal, Dusk,” Caeser’s voice echoed from the ruins of his ‘Mech. “My people go free.”

“So we do, and so they are,” Dusk replied coldly. “The rest are bondsmen. Isorla. The rightful property of Clan Steel Viper. As you yourself have become.”

Combat Theatre Vote 4:

ComGuards
Precentor Deiron Pro Tem Sharilar Mori has dispatched the assembled ComGuards under her control for an assault deep behind the Hell’s Horses lines. Their target, the planet Richmond, the last known location of Precentor Myndo Waterly.

Northwind Highlanders
Discontent among the Highlander regiments continues to grow as House Liao continues to focus their efforts on the Free Worlds League.

8th Scorpion Uhlans
A small force of elite DEST operatives, backed by a lance of Mercenary battlemechs, has misjumped into a system held by Clan Goliath Scorpion. Can the few Scorpion forces remaining on the world crush this threat before it can go to ground and become a thorn in their sides? (This mission was planned with the assistance of Bobbin Threadbare)

Operation Himinbjörg
The terrorist organization Heimdall has launched a surprise offensive with an unknown objective. Outgunned and outmanned, can they possibly succeed?

Voting is Open for:
A) ComGuards
B) Northwind Highlanders
C) 8th Scorpion Uhlans
D) Operation Himinbjörg

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
A or D. This one is going to take some thought.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

(I edited this vote out since I changed it downthread from A to D.)

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

A scenario Bobbin helped plan? A desperate battle against impossible odds, deep behind enemy lines? Is there really another choice?

C - 8th Scorpion Uhlans.

• Locked thread