Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WoG posted:

Dump the task killer. Android is smarter than that crap these days.
Task killers are marginally useful as a bazooka solution for killing (& restarting) a bunch of tasks in the event that one of them has run amok and is eating CPU cycles due to a bug. The hope is that, by killing it, it will either not respawn, or respawn in a state that it doesn't eat CPU. Although finding the offending service and ending it permanently (if not needed) is a much better solution.

Task killers are not useful for RAM management, or even "fixing" memory leaks (which can happen in Java). A service leaking memory will not affect battery life. Nor will it really impact other apps. At some point it will leak too much memory and the OOM killer will take care of it. The only real problem is if it doesn't leak enough memory such that when the OOM killer goes around, it kills the "wrong" thing. But since task killers kill everything, that's not a better solution.

They're a horrible idea though. For example, the Epic comes with a built-in task killer (thanks Samsung!), and in particular with "level 1" and "level 2" RAM clearing. Level 1 is harmless, it kills the processes of otherwise inactive apps. Level 2 is harmful though, it kills every service, including core ones like the telephony stack. Most of the respawn right away, but apparently the respawning logic is slightly broken and enables a race condition, such that on the Epic the SMS ("isms") service often doesn't come back.

This means, on an Epic, fairly predictably SMSes fail to send and get stuck after doing a "level 2" RAM clear. So the trivial solution is "don't do a level 2 RAM clear", but folks on xda expect that since it's stock functionality (thanks Samsung!) that it must be safe to do. Even after it's explained to the in gross detail exactly what's going wrong, and why it's an unnecessary and bad idea in the first place, folks somehow believe it's a reasonable, if not required operation to be preformed with some frequency.

Seriously, don't use task killers. Way more of a headache than they're worth.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

brc64 posted:

:words:

900ftjesus posted:

I agree with brc64, the screen on the Shift seems tiny after the Evo. Performance wise, the Shift is a bit faster.

Thanks, I've decided to swap for the Shift this weekend. I'd rather have slightly faster phone with better battery life than a giant screen. Plus the Evo is too big for the pockets on my running shorts. Worst case I'm stuck with the Shift for 6 months until I get my premier gold upgrade and I've been stuck using crappier phones than that.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Task killers are marginally useful as a bazooka solution for killing (& restarting) a bunch of tasks in the event that one of them has run amok and is eating CPU cycles due to a bug. The hope is that, by killing it, it will either not respawn, or respawn in a state that it doesn't eat CPU. Although finding the offending service and ending it permanently (if not needed) is a much better solution.

This is actually why I still keep a task killer handy. I haven't had issues since using CM7 but on Fresh and Sense I've have applications go haywire and required forced closings.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

averox posted:

This is actually why I still keep a task killer handy. I haven't had issues since using CM7 but on Fresh and Sense I've have applications go haywire and required forced closings.

Does that have anything over the built-in task manager? Settings > Applications > Running services lets you see what you have running and the CPU time everything's used, plus you can kill things right there if something's gone haywire and is pegging your CPU.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Kreeblah posted:

Does that have anything over the built-in task manager? Settings > Applications > Running services lets you see what you have running and the CPU time everything's used, plus you can kill things right there if something's gone haywire and is pegging your CPU.

I have System Panel Lite or something like that which I use to occasionally kill tasks. I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong place or what, but things like Market don't seem to show up in the built in task manager (there are rare occasions where killing Market is useful), and the other one I occasionally need to kill is Browser. I didn't know about the long press back option, though, so I may just check that out.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Task killers are not useful for RAM management, or even "fixing" memory leaks (which can happen in Java). A service leaking memory will not affect battery life. Nor will it really impact other apps. At some point it will leak too much memory and the OOM killer will take care of it. The only real problem is if it doesn't leak enough memory such that when the OOM killer goes around, it kills the "wrong" thing. But since task killers kill everything, that's not a better solution.

They're a horrible idea though. For example, the Epic comes with a built-in task killer (thanks Samsung!), and in particular with "level 1" and "level 2" RAM clearing. Level 1 is harmless, it kills the processes of otherwise inactive apps. Level 2 is harmful though, it kills every service, including core ones like the telephony stack. Most of the respawn right away, but apparently the respawning logic is slightly broken and enables a race condition, such that on the Epic the SMS ("isms") service often doesn't come back.

This means, on an Epic, fairly predictably SMSes fail to send and get stuck after doing a "level 2" RAM clear. So the trivial solution is "don't do a level 2 RAM clear", but folks on xda expect that since it's stock functionality (thanks Samsung!) that it must be safe to do. Even after it's explained to the in gross detail exactly what's going wrong, and why it's an unnecessary and bad idea in the first place, folks somehow believe it's a reasonable, if not required operation to be preformed with some frequency.

Seriously, don't use task killers. Way more of a headache than they're worth.

Wow, broken software that breaks itself even more. Good one Samsung.

Kreeblah posted:

Task killer app lists load a lot faster than the built-in manager.

I really only have a single app that continually screws up, so I made a Tasker shortcut that kills that one app. If you're having problems with a single app, it's a really good solution.

Also, CM7 (and I think CM6) lets you long press the back button to kill the foreground app.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I've never dealt with getting new hardware in a non-SIM based device. I am dreadfully tired of all the lovely things about the Sprint Overdrive, and it seems like the Overdrive Pro fixes basically every gripe I have. I'm a year or so into my two year contract for the device. What are my options to upgrade? Is there any prostate massaging I can do to a customer service rep to not get raped quite so badly on the whole process?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is there a limit on exchanges that can be made for new phones? My pre is effectively useless as of today, and my upgrade date is May 1. If I get a nexus S then, then 30 days later trade it for a evo shift, can i trade the shift 30 days later for an evo 3d which is what I really want (assuming it's out)?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Why not just buy a used evo/shift on craigslist and keep you update for the 3d. When you use your upgrade sell the evo/shift on craigslist for basically what you paid for it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

mastershakeman posted:

Is there a limit on exchanges that can be made for new phones? My pre is effectively useless as of today, and my upgrade date is May 1. If I get a nexus S then, then 30 days later trade it for a evo shift, can i trade the shift 30 days later for an evo 3d which is what I really want (assuming it's out)?
There is. I can't remember the limit on the number of phones, but you can only swap within 30 days of the purchase of the first phone.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I thought I'd avoid confusion by switching from SERO to SERO Premium on the first day of my billing cycle (March 17). Would anyone smarter than me be able to explain why I'm being charged for two months of service at once on my new bill? I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation, but I'm not quite "getting it".

Old SERO bill:

New SERO Premium bill:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah, this won't work and would probably be a hassle anyway. Your best bet is what other people said, get a phone off craigslist. Pres run $50 now a days, so even if you just want something cheap you can find it. Only bummer is you would get the $10 a month Premium data, but if you are looking at a 3D you'll get it eventually anyway.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

td4guy posted:

I thought I'd avoid confusion by switching from SERO to SERO Premium on the first day of my billing cycle (March 17). Would anyone smarter than me be able to explain why I'm being charged for two months of service at once on my new bill? I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation, but I'm not quite "getting it".

Old SERO bill:

New SERO Premium bill:

When you change plans, you pay for the current month of service you are using, and then the next month of service ahead of time. Look at the old bill from March 20. You are paying for Feb 17-Mar 16. Now on the bill from April 20, you are paying for Mar 17-Apr 16 and Apr 17-May 17. So you are paying for two billing cycles.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

When you change plans, you pay for the current month of service you are using, and then the next month of service ahead of time. Look at the old bill from March 20. You are paying for Feb 17-Mar 16. Now on the bill from April 20, you are paying for Mar 17-Apr 16 and Apr 17-May 17. So you are paying for two billing cycles.
So I won't get a May 20 bill at all?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

td4guy posted:

So I won't get a May 20 bill at all?

I'm not sure. You may just not get billed for the last month of your service if you cancel your plan.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hm. My Palm Pre is getting even worse-in addition to only have a working data connection about 5% of the time, it's also losing the ability to send (and possibly receive) texts, with an error code of 2127 being texted to me by a sprint number. Of course, this is intermittent too. Is it worth bringing it to a store and seeing if they'll give me a new one based on this? I don't have TEP.

For some reason ,craigslist phones in Chicago are really expensive-used Pres are running around $100 because everyone's throwing in accessories, EVO postings are flooded with spam, and Shifts are around $300. I may just have to suffer until the first of May and go with the Nexus, it doesn't seem to make sense to deal with the hassle and no TEP on a used phone for.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Hm. My Palm Pre is getting even worse-in addition to only have a working data connection about 5% of the time, it's also losing the ability to send (and possibly receive) texts, with an error code of 2127 being texted to me by a sprint number. Of course, this is intermittent too. Is it worth bringing it to a store and seeing if they'll give me a new one based on this? I don't have TEP.

For some reason ,craigslist phones in Chicago are really expensive-used Pres are running around $100 because everyone's throwing in accessories, EVO postings are flooded with spam, and Shifts are around $300. I may just have to suffer until the first of May and go with the Nexus, it doesn't seem to make sense to deal with the hassle and no TEP on a used phone for.

Your phone would probably fail a POST test, which tests RF input/output.

Without TEP, you're looking at $37.28 after tax.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've got a question for your Sprint chaps.

My buddy from Philly is on my Sprint family plan and has moved out the the West Hollywood area. He gets incredibly poor reception to the point where our conversations are usually interrupted with "Hello? Hello? Hold on you're breaking up. Did you hear me? What was that?" and it's his primary contact number for job hunting. Do you guys think it's possible for him to get an Airave/Airvana for free? I'm not sure if the change in location would make customer service deny him or what have you not. Also for some reason he thinks if he calls and tells them he's in WeHo that Sprint will jack the bill up on him which I told him I was very sure that is not the case.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bill-wise the only thing that should change are his state taxes, his plan and its pricing should stay the same I believe.

The case for a free Airave/Airvana is that you are in a Sprint coverage area and getting poor or no service. Is his address covered on their coverage map?

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I believe he's in a Sprint coverage area. I don't know his address but he mentions that the thick walls in the apartment are effectively killing the signal because as soon as he steps outside it's fine. I'll be sure to ask him next time I speak with him.

Thanks for your help. It's pretty important for him to actually receive the calls otherwise he remains jobless :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

averox posted:

I've got a question for your Sprint chaps.

My buddy from Philly is on my Sprint family plan and has moved out the the West Hollywood area. He gets incredibly poor reception to the point where our conversations are usually interrupted with "Hello? Hello? Hold on you're breaking up. Did you hear me? What was that?" and it's his primary contact number for job hunting. Do you guys think it's possible for him to get an Airave/Airvana for free? I'm not sure if the change in location would make customer service deny him or what have you not. Also for some reason he thinks if he calls and tells them he's in WeHo that Sprint will jack the bill up on him which I told him I was very sure that is not the case.

Have him call the number in the OP (retentions) and they should give him a free airrave assuming he has no spending limit. It actually shouldn't affect him even if the Sprint map shows good coverage, I have seen scenarios like that and retentions doesn't seem to care. And finally, him living in a different address than his family is not a big deal either, that happens I lot. I've seen a family plan where they got one free Airrave to cover the home, and then the kid moved to college in a crap Sprint area so they gave a 2nd one for his place.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Have him call the number in the OP (retentions) and they should give him a free airrave assuming he has no spending limit. It actually shouldn't affect him even if the Sprint map shows good coverage, I have seen scenarios like that and retentions doesn't seem to care. And finally, him living in a different address than his family is not a big deal either, that happens I lot. I've seen a family plan where they got one free Airrave to cover the home, and then the kid moved to college in a crap Sprint area so they gave a 2nd one for his place.

Would that only work on a family plan? I'm at my parents a good bit, and they have basically no signal at their place. Mine is just two phones in my name, not a family plan.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
How much data d you 4g people tend to use. I was pretty sure I was going to jump onto my sister's family plan at ATT once the new iPhone came out, but the 2 gig limit is worrying me more and more. Especially if the new iPhone has HSPA+, those 2 gigs will get used up pretty quickly. This is making me lean toward getting a 3D Evo, despite me not really liking Android as a platform. The monthly cost of each will be within $5 of each other, so pricing isn't really an issue. My main concern is that data usage for me is only going to go up, especially considering faster internet, more applications that use it, and higher quality streaming video. I really like Apple's hardware,and iOS just seems so much smoother. Any suggestions or comments to help me make a decision?

Oh, I also tend to thing that ATT is an evil company.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
How much data d you 4g people tend to use. I was pretty sure I was going to jump onto my sister's family plan at ATT once the new iPhone came out, but the 2 gig limit is worrying me more and more. Especially if the new iPhone has HSPA+, those 2 gigs will get used up pretty quickly. This is making me lean toward getting a 3D Evo, despite me not really liking Android as a platform. The monthly cost of each will be within $5 of each other, so pricing isn't really an issue. My main concern is that data usage for me is only going to go up, especially considering faster internet, more applications that use it, and higher quality streaming video. I really like Apple's hardware,and iOS just seems so much smoother. Any suggestions or comments to help me make a decision?

Really your answer is going to change from person to person. I barely use 1GB a month, but I also don't use my phone for streaming video very often and it's connected to my wireless both at home and work, so there's not a lot of time when it's actually using data on the network. There is extra incentive to stay on Sprint if you've been on for a while because you'll get better offers and such the longer you're a customer. There's also the chance that the next generation of iPhone comes to Sprint, in which case all of your problems are solved. There really isn't an easy yes or no answer, it's just personal preference, but the rumor is that the next iPhone will be a world phone (both GSM and CDMA) which could mean it comes to Sprint.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Alman posted:

Really your answer is going to change from person to person. I barely use 1GB a month, but I also don't use my phone for streaming video very often and it's connected to my wireless both at home and work, so there's not a lot of time when it's actually using data on the network. There is extra incentive to stay on Sprint if you've been on for a while because you'll get better offers and such the longer you're a customer. There's also the chance that the next generation of iPhone comes to Sprint, in which case all of your problems are solved. There really isn't an easy yes or no answer, it's just personal preference, but the rumor is that the next iPhone will be a world phone (both GSM and CDMA) which could mean it comes to Sprint.

Actually, if you are connected to Wifi at home and work, when the screen is turned off the iPhone turns off wifi anyways. So unless you sit there with the screen on you are sucking precious wireless data with just your regular notifications. My wife's iPhone uses about 50MB a month just sitting in our house all day. It's sort of a pain.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I use about 300MB/month. I use it for web browsing and downloading apps. If I were streaming anything I imaging that would jump up fast.

My record month was round 2.5GB when I used it for a week as a wifi hotspot for 2 computers while visiting relatives over the holidays.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
Got tired of Palin. You're welcome.

"d[-.- posted:

b"]

You probably want to find someone local who has a 4g sprint phone to see if you can even get 4g where you live and work.

Someone said it a few pages back, and it's proven accurate in my limited experience in 4G cities (orlando and atlanta). Sprint's 4g coverage maps show places that you might be able to get a 4g signal if you're lucky, not places that you will be likely to get a 4g signal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

uapyro posted:

Would that only work on a family plan? I'm at my parents a good bit, and they have basically no signal at their place. Mine is just two phones in my name, not a family plan.

Doesn't matter whether they have pooled minutes or not, you have 2 lines on the account. Whether retentions gives you two or not I couldn't say, probably depends on how long you have had Sprint.

"d[-.- posted:

b"]

In all seriousness, what's wrong with Windows Phone 7 (meaning if you don't like Android but like the iPhone, Windows may be an option)?

Edit: Google Voice with Sprint Integration launches April 26th.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 21, 2011

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
With all the SERO floating around here I have no clue if there are any actual Sprint engineers or support agents that lurk here, but UPNP on the Sierra Wireless Overdrive Pro seems to be completely broken. I posted on DSLReports about it- http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25766588-Sprint-Sierra-Wireless-Overdrive-Pro-UPNP-issues-

quote:

This is 100% reproducable for me-

1. Go to 192.168.0.1 or whatever the IP is you've set for your Overdrive Pro.
2. Log in as an admin if you're not already.
3. Go to "Advanced Settings"
4. Click the "Router" tab.
5. Toggle UPNP from "Disable" to "Enable".
6. Hit save.

At this point the progress bar of my browser hangs, and you have to hit save at least twice to get the change to take. From there, power-cycling the device brings up the initial boot up screen that says the wireless SSID and password with 0 WiFi clients associated to it. From here, you're able to connect, but the Overdrive Pro screen (as well as the emulated screen in the browser) never change to update the amount of clients, show the connection timer, or anything else.

Repeating the same steps above, if you can get it to load, but toggling "Enable" to "Disable" on UPNP and rebooting the device restores functionality.

This blows because I use Sprint 4G to play games via Xbox Live and without UPNP most things won't connect. :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

io_burn posted:

With all the SERO floating around here I have no clue if there are any actual Sprint engineers or support agents that lurk here, but UPNP on the Sierra Wireless Overdrive Pro seems to be completely broken. I posted on DSLReports about it- http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25766588-Sprint-Sierra-Wireless-Overdrive-Pro-UPNP-issues-

This blows because I use Sprint 4G to play games via Xbox Live and without UPNP most things won't connect. :(

The Overdrive Pro is pretty new, did you happen to get it within 30 days? The Novatel MiFi 4G just launched 3 days ago and if its anything like the MiFi 3G it should be waaaaay better than the Overdrive (which had a lot of hardware problems.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I'm looking to replace my Blackberry with an EVO Shift. My account is owned by my company and they didn't think that upgrading my phone was necessary to perform my job functions so I'll be purchasing the phone on my own. Since it'll probably be used, can I just call up Sprint and have them check if the ESN is clean and available and all that good stuff?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

porksmash posted:

I'm looking to replace my Blackberry with an EVO Shift. My account is owned by my company and they didn't think that upgrading my phone was necessary to perform my job functions so I'll be purchasing the phone on my own. Since it'll probably be used, can I just call up Sprint and have them check if the ESN is clean and available and all that good stuff?

Yes, and it's quick enough that you can do it with the seller sitting in front of you. If they book it you know it's not good anyway! :v:

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
CSR told my buddy that they'd send him a free microcell and slap it on my 5 line family plan for free. No new account opened up. Thanks a ton guys!

averox fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 21, 2011

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

Is there an official announcement anywhere visible to the public? I know a couple people who've been looking forward to this, and I want to have something to show them beyond "guy on message board".

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Technogeek posted:

Is there an official announcement anywhere visible to the public? I know a couple people who've been looking forward to this, and I want to have something to show them beyond "guy on message board".

Nothing beyond "that's what employee news says."

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Duckman2008 posted:

In all seriousness, what's wrong with Windows Phone 7 (meaning if you don't like Android but like the iPhone, Windows may be an option)?

I want a 4G phone to take advantage of the 4G in my area. Also, I'm not the social networking person Microsoft wants me to think I am.

zeek40 posted:

You probably want to find someone local who has a 4g sprint phone to see if you can even get 4g where you live and work.

Someone said it a few pages back, and it's proven accurate in my limited experience in 4G cities (orlando and atlanta). Sprint's 4g coverage maps show places that you might be able to get a 4g signal if you're lucky, not places that you will be likely to get a 4g signal.

My brother has an Evo and is able to get 4G where I live. I still have to check if I get it at work.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's great news about the Google Voice integration, since I will be in Europe for another few weeks :)
I know this is a specific question that you may not know, but will any SMS in queue to be delivered to me get erased if I convert or will I still get them when I return?

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
Feel free to put this info in the OP. My info for eprp is as follows :

Clinton.Chapman@sprint.com 530.

They are actually wanting us to give this info out to anyone that wants it now, so feel free to use it for anyone you want. Give it to your loving mailman if he wants eprp.

But please use mine and not that dude from the blog. They are giving prizes and stuff for people with the most referrals.

Chappy fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 21, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TEP increasing to $8 on July 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Duckman2008 posted:

The Overdrive Pro is pretty new, did you happen to get it within 30 days? The Novatel MiFi 4G just launched 3 days ago and if its anything like the MiFi 3G it should be waaaaay better than the Overdrive (which had a lot of hardware problems.

Ugh, yeah, I'm going to swap for the new 4G MiFi. The last 24 hours with the Overdrive Pro has involved about 12 pull the battery power cycles. How the hell do they think people are going to use these for their home internet access?