Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

QPZIL posted:

"Jeg faller" and "Valen" are kind of cool songs but the rest of the album just falls flat to me. Aside from the singing parts in those two songs I can't remember a single riff from the album.

And even those tracks I found to be fairly uninteresting. It's as if he took the boring tracks from Belus and remixed them into an entire album's worth of material. Belus I thought wasn't all bad, but this is a step in the opposite direction of "awesome."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power
So Celestia (http://www.myspace.com/celestiaofficial) is playing three US Shows. I'm not sure of the other dates, but my band Decieverion(http://decieverion.bandcamp.com)will be playing with them. If you're in the Philadelphia/NJ/NY area this is a show not to miss.

Noticed I forget to put the date on that copy of the flyer. It's April 28th 2011.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EkoEkoAzarak fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 8, 2011

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power
Full List of Celestia dates. Don't miss em!

CELESTIA North American Tour w/ FORTERESSE!

Thursday, April 21 - Bar Octobre, QUEBEC, CA
Friday, April 22 - Théatre Plaza, MONTREAL, CA
Saturday, April 23 - Scène Évolu-Son, ROUYN, CA
Sunday, April 24 - Hard Luck Bar - TORONTO, CA
Thursday, April 28 - Philadelphia, USA
Friday, April 29 - Santos Party House - NEW YORK, USA
Saturday, April 30 - Club Oasis Worcester - BOSTON, USA

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

Full List of Celestia dates. Don't miss em!

CELESTIA North American Tour w/ FORTERESSE!

Thursday, April 21 - Bar Octobre, QUEBEC, CA
Friday, April 22 - Théatre Plaza, MONTREAL, CA
Saturday, April 23 - Scène Évolu-Son, ROUYN, CA
Sunday, April 24 - Hard Luck Bar - TORONTO, CA
Thursday, April 28 - Philadelphia, USA
Friday, April 29 - Santos Party House - NEW YORK, USA
Saturday, April 30 - Club Oasis Worcester - BOSTON, USA

Definitely going to that Philly date. Pretty stoked to see Fortresse as well, I love the whole Quebecois BM scene.

e: EkoEkoAzarak, do you know when that show starts? I'm driving from Baltimore.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

Monkeytime posted:

Definitely going to that Philly date. Pretty stoked to see Fortresse as well, I love the whole Quebecois BM scene.

e: EkoEkoAzarak, do you know when that show starts? I'm driving from Baltimore.

Doors are 8- 8:30. Which I'm assuming means the first band is 9ish. Stay for the whole show, my band will going on last in order to make sure Celestia gets the fullest crowd possible. If you need directions or any other info just shoot me a PM.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
Wow. You guys are right about that new Shining tune. That band has some of the best loving harmonies and chords I've ever heard. Killer.

Also, I actually kind of like the new Burzum album. :allears:

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Stream Krallice's new album, goons.

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/18/135382480/first-listen-krallice-diotima?ft=1&f=1039

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Weaponized Cum posted:

Stream Krallice's new album, goons.

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/18/135382480/first-listen-krallice-diotima?ft=1&f=1039

Weaponized Cum posted:

npr

...I'm so confused. First live Agalloch stuff, now Krallice? NPR is stepping up their game.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

QPZIL posted:

...I'm so confused. First live Agalloch stuff, now Krallice? NPR is stepping up their game.

Also had the new Trap Them!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I caught Hate on the last date of their recent tour with Rotting Christ. After their set, the guys mentioned they are coming back to the US at the end of the year with Mayhem. Has there been any mention of a new Mayhem album yet?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Has there been any mention of mayhem making good albums again? :black101:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hey, Ordo ad Chao had some pretty go... erm... hey, Chimera had a good song on it!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Just watch. Give it a year or two and soccer moms will be playing Ulver in their minivans.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just watch. Give it a year or two and soccer moms will be playing Ulver in their minivans.

Which will finally make the kvlt kiddies give up and go listen to their bullshit jock music instead.

It's kinda cool that NPR covers stuff like this, since it ultimately means that the bands reach a larger audience - plus it shows a more progressive attitude towards metal music in general, which I am not averse to.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Have you heard the new Ulver record? That's not too far-fetched.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I thought it was obvious I was talking about their first three, not their weird electronic stuff.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I thought it was obvious I was talking about their first three, not their weird electronic stuff.

It's not electronic, but it's... poppy? It's not good. Check it out, I guess.

e: not as poppy as the new Boris but still

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008

Radio Paranoia posted:

It's kinda cool that NPR covers stuff like this, since it ultimately means that the bands reach a larger audience - plus it shows a more progressive attitude towards metal music in general, which I am not averse to.

I am.

The only good thing I can see coming from NPR playing metal and bullshit films like Until the Light Takes Us is that it'll speed up the inevitable collapse of the current metal fad.

To me, one of the most appealing aspects of the genre is that it was something you're not supposed to know about. Or at least the illusion of that feeling.

I don't want to argue the intellectual validity of black metal, I just want to be a sad motherfucker and listen to it on my own terms. It's a genre that simply falls apart when it's introduced to the "progressive attitude" you mention.

To paraphrase someone from another forum, "black metal used to be about sitting in your room, alone, listening to Darkthrone".

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
Now it's about going to a WITTR [:)] show and having 80 Hipsters clog the venue up only to eventually stand with backs to the stage, hang out else where and generally be there only to 'be scene!'

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Ghost of Orbo posted:

I am.

The only good thing I can see coming from NPR playing metal and bullshit films like Until the Light Takes Us is that it'll speed up the inevitable collapse of the current metal fad.

To me, one of the most appealing aspects of the genre is that it was something you're not supposed to know about. Or at least the illusion of that feeling.

I don't want to argue the intellectual validity of black metal, I just want to be a sad motherfucker and listen to it on my own terms. It's a genre that simply falls apart when it's introduced to the "progressive attitude" you mention.

To paraphrase someone from another forum, "black metal used to be about sitting in your room, alone, listening to Darkthrone".

other people might listen to the music I listen to, I am no longer unique :qq:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ghost of Orbo posted:

This is really more pitiable than anything else. He's got nothing in the world other than being able to feel superior to others due to the exclusivity of his music taste. He's the guy that complains when a band he likes gets a song in a movie, because now everyone will listen to them. There are many things that could be said to insult him, but what's the point?

I guess electronic might not be the right word for Ulver, but I don't think poppy is either. I'm thinking of stuff like Blinded By Blood and Christmas. Maybe they've changed since.

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008
What? I can't hear either of you over my esoteric tastes.

I bet you both gave Transcendental Black Metal rave reviews.

Ghost of Orbo fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 21, 2011

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nope, sorry. You'll have to try harder than that to get us on the defensive after saying something that drat stupid.

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008
By golly, you're right. Black metal should be for everyone. Let's start bringing this music to the masses.

So as to not completely derail this thread. I love Inquisition.

Ghost of Orbo fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 21, 2011

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Ghost of Orbo posted:

Black metal should be for everyone.

That's the thing. It will never be.

Just because it's getting coverage on a major radio station does not mean that it's going to be instantly accessible to the world and everybody will don corpsepaint and become Nihilists. I doubt people who listen to jock jams and radio pop are going to suddenly start listening to Burzum because they heard something on NPR. Most would probably turn the radio off to get rid of the scary music.
Not to elevate it to some sort of godlike manner of expression, but black metal is uncomfortable for the average listener and is a genre that takes a lot of work to explore and become experienced in.

Basically, it's a case of (black) metal being recognized as a legitimate art from and being treated as such, which certainly shows a good attitude on the side of NPR. And the fact that they treat it on a much more intellectual level than exclusively "metal" radio shows means that the product obviously has some substance.

E: Also, Vice is terrible.

Double edit: While Vice is terrible, that actual essay isn't too bad. It's very pseudo-intellectual in places, but some interesting ideas are explored. As far as I'm concerned, the corpse-painted "Argh, Satan" nihlistic violence of the Norwegian black metal scene (and their contemporaries) is flogging a dead horse and has completely consumed itself, leading to very little innovation or progression. It's funny that the birthplace of black metal is producing far less interesting bands than the rest of the world.

Radio Paranoia fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 21, 2011

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008

Radio Paranoia posted:

E: Also, Vice is terrible.

First hit on google, man.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

When metal does hit the mainstream, what do you call it, though? I've seen plenty of eye-rolling here (and in the metal thread) about popular, mainstream music.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Ghost of Orbo posted:

I am.

I like "Black Metal used to be about sitting in your room with like minded friends listening to Darkthrone, and then doing something about their dissatisfaction" better. Church burning and the murder of old gay dudes in the forest may or may not be required, but they accomplished something more useful than sitting around feeling sorry for themselves. Basically, there's not really any room for weepy non-contributors in any corner of life, including Black Metal. What Black Metal are you listening to that is at all conducive to being a "sad motherfucker listening to it on it's own terms"?

Ghost of Orbo posted:

You are just as bad as those Liturgy dudes, just from a different direction. How about some nice shoegaze music?

Also, the best spergy manifesto/essay is the one from Ildjarn Is Dead http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CC5OG1J1

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008

RHTITE posted:

How about some nice shoegaze music?

Aw, totally. Here ya go.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Ghost of Orbo posted:

Those graphs and charts are very helpful in order to understand music!

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

RHTITE posted:

What Black Metal are you listening to that is at all conducive to being a "sad motherfucker listening to it on it's own terms"?

To be fair, if someone killed themselves while listening to my band, I'd be stoked. But really I'd rather them just come out to a show and bang their head.

It's easy to be a one-man black metal record producing machine, another to play that poo poo live as a full band.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Kaiho posted:

When metal does hit the mainstream, what do you call it, though?

Watain :madmax:

[edit] That's not to say Watain are in any way compromising their music or outlook in order to appeal to mainstream factors though. At the end of the day, an artist doesn't have any control over who their music/image will appeal to, short of tailoring it to one crowd. I mean, look at the practices of bands like Moonblood - sticking to vinyl and cassette only ended up making them even more appealing to most of the people they weren't interested in attracting.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 21, 2011

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Someone finally posted my favorite Evilfeast song on YouTube, so go listen to it and tell me it's not the best Ambient you ever heard in Black Metal ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsckQ5GmNcs ... seriously if you guys arn't listening to Evilfeast by now ... get the 'Lost Horizons of Wisdom' album, it is classic material.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 23, 2011

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Instead of a painful 19 minutes, they could have boiled that song down to the best couple of ideas and had a perfectly inoffensive 7-9 minute song, while still allowing them to express their ideas in a long, atmospheric song with the soundtrack style Classical elements. You don't need to make your song 3 days long to make it "epic". Especially when your music ain't that great in the first place. I would definitely prefer going to a band like Avzhia, if I wanted to listen to some Black Metal in this style. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpPNXnOvB-Y

Not really my favourite stuff, though. Almost every band I've heard do this style end up making stuff that is way too sappy and sentimental.

Gr31lly posted:

Watain :madmax:

[edit] That's not to say Watain are in any way compromising their music or outlook in order to appeal to mainstream factors though. At the end of the day, an artist doesn't have any control over who their music/image will appeal to, short of tailoring it to one crowd. I mean, look at the practices of bands like Moonblood - sticking to vinyl and cassette only ended up making them even more appealing to most of the people they weren't interested in attracting.

Watain's last album was basically a glowing tribute to Speed Metal, with a few blast beats thrown in. Maybe that's Orthodox Black Metal. I dunno.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does everyone know what day it is?

Weakling Wednesday!

What other bands are there like Weakling? I know people say WitTR, but that doesn't have the same sort of despair going on.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does everyone know what day it is?

Weakling Wednesday!

What other bands are there like Weakling? I know people say WitTR, but that doesn't have the same sort of despair going on.

You may like my band that I posted a few posts up. We're a bit more Dynamic but you may really like the Title Track of the 7" on the BandCamp. (Igniting Crimson Vengeance). It was recorded right before I joined, and I think it has a bit too much Polish on it though. We where considering remixing the songs, but who knows.

EkoEkoAzarak fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 27, 2011

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

RHTITE posted:

Also, the best spergy manifesto/essay is the one from Ildjarn Is Dead http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CC5OG1J1
That essay owns though. Put on Hardangervidda and read the whole thing.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"

Plasma1010 posted:

Someone finally posted my favorite Evilfeast song on YouTube, so go listen to it and tell me it's not the best Ambient you ever heard in Black Metal ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsckQ5GmNcs ... seriously if you guys arn't listening to Evilfeast by now ... get the 'Lost Horizons of Wisdom' album, it is classic material.

This is the best ambient I've ever heard in black metal. But then again, I'm not very well-versed in ambient black metal. I do love it though.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Oh god, the cheesy pads. I liked some of the ideas though.

For an ambient piece that fits perfectly within the concept and structure of an album, there's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ok3Qfd7qM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
So, uhhh, what do you folks think of that there Demonaz solo affair "March of the Norse"?