Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

So I tried to use Truecar. It seems to fall out where you'd want it the most -- cars that don't have much negotiation budge. None of the dealerships that honored whatever deal Truecar offered could actually order a Boss, so it was no different from what I already did -- contacting dealers at random to see if they could.

e: fffff, it's so righteous looking:
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/04/19/how-one-lucky-mustang-enthusiast-bought-boss-302-0001/

Aw sorry it didn't work out for you. I'm kind of in a lovely place right now. I'm considering an Evo X, Mustang GT, or Camaro SS but the insurance for the Evo $450 a month and Mustang $400 are pushing me in the direction of the Camaro at $175 a month. What the gently caress gives? Why am I getting quoted so much cheaper for the Camaro everywhere? If not for the expensive insurance I actually think I'd be sitting in a Mustang GTright now. Sorry for the seemingly off topic question but this seems like the boy racer thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

KidDynamite posted:

Sorry for the seemingly off topic question but this seems like the boy racer thread.

I can see how the thread title would be confusing.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

frozenphil posted:

I can see how the thread title would be confusing.

I know what the title said but I've seen other people in here talking about the Camaro and the question is bugging me and none of my friends seem to know.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

KidDynamite posted:

Aw sorry it didn't work out for you. I'm kind of in a lovely place right now. I'm considering an Evo X, Mustang GT, or Camaro SS but the insurance for the Evo $450 a month and Mustang $400 are pushing me in the direction of the Camaro at $175 a month. What the gently caress gives? Why am I getting quoted so much cheaper for the Camaro everywhere? If not for the expensive insurance I actually think I'd be sitting in a Mustang GTright now. Sorry for the seemingly off topic question but this seems like the boy racer thread.

Did you get quotes from other insurance companies? It doesn't make sense that it should be so much more. My insurance is about 140 a month for a Mustang...

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Did you get quotes from other insurance companies? It doesn't make sense that it should be so much more. My insurance is about 140 a month for a Mustang...

Yea I called up Progressive, Geico, All State, and NJ Manufacturers and they all basically gave me the same prices. None of the reps could tell me why it would be so much difference. It's pretty mind boggling to me. I'm about to turn 25 so I'm going to wait a bit and see if that affects it any.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Yea I called up Progressive, Geico, All State, and NJ Manufacturers and they all basically gave me the same prices. None of the reps could tell me why it would be so much difference. It's pretty mind boggling to me. I'm about to turn 25 so I'm going to wait a bit and see if that affects it any.

Well hot drat! I forgot I was turning 25 this year but I remember why it's okay to keep looking forward to birthdays after 21.

Too bad by the end of the summer that excitement is over. :(

Also, if I was that guy with #1 of the Boss 302 there's no way in hell I wouldn't have that on the next Barret Jackson. I'm not wealthy enough to garage queen something like that and even if I was I don't have the self control to not drive it around. Cars are for driving.

Rather sell that bastard for like twice the price to some rich dude and buy a GT500 or another Boss 302 or something and buy something like a 3 series to daily drive with the spare cash.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VibrioCholera posted:

Also, if I was that guy with #1 of the Boss 302 there's no way in hell I wouldn't have that on the next Barret Jackson. I'm not wealthy enough to garage queen something like that and even if I was I don't have the self control to not drive it around. Cars are for driving.

Rather sell that bastard for like twice the price to some rich dude and buy a GT500 or another Boss 302 or something and buy something like a 3 series to daily drive with the spare cash.

So would he:

Lucky motherfucker posted:

MD: Would you consider selling #0001 to a collector and buying another Boss 302?

SM: I would sell it to a collector for a boss just like it and payoff on my current loan I just took out
Only difference is he'd only settle for one just like it.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This post actually eased my mind today. I'd been wondering in the back of my mind for a while if my GT500's transmission was going to catastrophically fail, but I forgot to take into account the fact that it's the Getrags having all the problems, not the Tremecs. Although, I'm also glad you posted the fixes in case I ever run into a hard 1-2 shift issue.

You definitely don't have to worry about the Tremec failing, they are bullet proof transmissions. I've been road racing and drag racing my 2003 Z06 for the last 4 years and with the exception of the iffy second gear, the transmission hasn't missed a beat. And most of this racing was on slicks (luckily Hoosier R6's that are cambered out so it can't actually hook up when launching).

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/709678-2011-gt500-1-2-shift-problem.html

The link above is a large thread on SVT Performance that specifically focused on the 2nd gear issues of the 2010 - 2011 GT500's. I was keeping pretty close tabs on it as for the last few months I've been debating between getting a 2011/2012 SVTPP GT500 or a CTSV.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 20, 2011

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Hey I got another annoyance in my Mustang. The roof liner is sagging pretty bad.

the cardboard that holds the fabric to the roof looks like it had water damage and was sitting in a scummy pond for a year. you know soggy looking cardboard that is in a solidy liquid state. In any case I glue it back to the roof and it looked fine for about 8 or 9 months and now the glue is coming undone and I really need to replace it. I dont think the glue is at fault though. I just dont think there is enough meat on the cardboard to stick to the roof.

I can not find a replacement roof liner for a 2001 gt? all I can find are lovely glue fixes. Does any one have a model number for it, so I can order it direct from Ford?

I could go with a generic roof liner or some 2fast2furious aftermarket if something like that exists, but I really rather have OEM.

any ideas?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Not sure about an OEM part number, but if you run out of options and/or patience, this might help.

http://www.stockinteriors.com/HeadlinerBoard.asp?Itemid=18115&MakeId=8&ModelId=201

My brother ordered carpet for his 71 Javelin from these guys, and aside from some trimming, it seemed to fit pretty well. Of course, this is just one anecdote, so my advice may be useless. Anyone else familiar with these guys?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

kimbo305 posted:

So I tried to use Truecar. It seems to fall out where you'd want it the most -- cars that don't have much negotiation budge. None of the dealerships that honored whatever deal Truecar offered could actually order a Boss, so it was no different from what I already did -- contacting dealers at random to see if they could.

e: fffff, it's so righteous looking:
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/04/19/how-one-lucky-mustang-enthusiast-bought-boss-302-0001/

drat did he luck out with that!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Tax return coming in! As soon as I'm back in the US I'm taking the pony in for a service then pulling the trigger on this:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-power-pack-v6.html

Any reason why I wouldn't wanna do that?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

shodanjr_gr posted:

Tax return coming in! As soon as I'm back in the US I'm taking the pony in for a service then pulling the trigger on this:

Have you considered stepping up to an '11-'12 v6 instead?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

You could put that money towards a v8 :smug:

Seriously though, if you wanted straight line speed you should have bought a V8. 15hp isnt really that much and that 800 would be better spent on suspension/tires.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Have you considered stepping up to an '11-'12 v6 instead?

It's not something I can realistically afford at the moment I think. The V6 was a family gift and going for a V8 of similar milage and year (2008, less than 25k miles) was a significant increase in cost. On a similar note trading up to a 2011 V6 would still entail a significant cost (aren't those things 22k invoice? My V6 trades in for around $13k so I'd still be looking at about 7-8k out of pocket that I can't finance considering I'm an international student with little credit history. Plus I don't even wanna know what my insurance premiums would look like on a brand-new car).

Honestly what I really want is the sound and look from the x-pipe but I figured that I might as well do the CAI+tune for a little bit of :rice: go-fastness. Shocks and springs are on my todo list for the summer while I'm working on an internship, as are new tires.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

It'll make you want to drive it less because it won't sound good. Also, how do you plan on having a dual exhaust with the stock rear valance?

lordofokra
Aug 6, 2005

approach light speed and break apart
I'm going to check out an '11 GT Premium in Grabber Blue on Saturday. Price is below invoice and it has the interior trim package (Grabber Blue accents) and the Comfort package. I'm upgrading from an '05 WRX and I'm very excited!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kronix posted:

It'll make you want to drive it less because it won't sound good. Also, how do you plan on having a dual exhaust with the stock rear valance?

I'm pretty sure all the x-pipe kits for the V6 come with a template for cutting the rear bumper.

Regarding the sound, are you commenting on the FR or dual exhausts in general?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

I'm pretty sure all the x-pipe kits for the V6 come with a template for cutting the rear bumper.

Regarding the sound, are you commenting on the FR or dual exhausts in general?

I have FR GT500 mufflers on my 5.0 and I like them a lot. I just don't think I've heard anything that sounded good enough on a V6 Mustang that'd be worth cutting my bumper and spending that kind of money for little to no increase in performance. The kit is like $800 right?

I do really like the look of dual pipes though. It makes the V6 look so much better so I'm torn. If it were me I'd spend the money on wheels and tires.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kronix posted:

I have FR GT500 mufflers on my 5.0 and I like them a lot. I just don't think I've heard anything that sounded good enough on a V6 Mustang that'd be worth cutting my bumper and spending that kind of money for little to no increase in performance. The kit is like $800 right?

It's $890 including the CAI and tuner tool. Probably another $150-200 for installation for the x-pipe.

quote:

I do really like the look of dual pipes though. It makes the V6 look so much better so I'm torn. If it were me I'd spend the money on wheels and tires.
I like it too and they come with some trim pieces that make them look really "in-place". I don't wanna change my tires until a bit later, I wanna wear the current ones a bit during my cross country drive to Seattle first.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Discuss:

NotYella
Nov 27, 2002
drunk jackass

frozenphil posted:

Discuss:

It looks like Aston-Martin humped a new camaro.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I like the Corvette style doors.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
I see a bit of GT-R / Evo cleft palate in there, too.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

frozenphil posted:

Discuss:

what the hell is it

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

frozenphil posted:

Discuss:

I'm digging the Aston Martin styling ques, however the front end looks a little anemic. The hood is too high and sweeps down too fast on the front, I can see why they did that because there wouldn't be much fender but get rid of the :whatup: 22" digs and you can add some fender back into the car and lower the overall hood height. That would create a nice balance on the front again and help clean up the appearance. That lower fascia is atrocious though, I really like how it's almost flush with the grille but the gaping caverns around it make it look ridiculous.

The very recognizable 'backseat window' is still there but the car finally grew some hips and as a result the doors and roof are more swept; it looks more refined without giving up the character of the Mustang. As long as the tail lamps are not some ridiculous 'wrap around' style and stay true to the Mustang 3-bar look it will be fine.

Like:
It looks grown up and refined while still retaining that Mustang style

Dislike:
It's trying too hard to be "hip" with it's over sized rims, asymmetrical headlamps and somewhat ricey fascia. Needs to have the signature fog lamps in the grille to finish pulling off the look.

And that's my opinion. :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Dislike:
asymmetrical headlamps

How are they asymmetrical?

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
/\/\/\

I am okay with this. :v:

kimbo305 posted:

How are they asymmetrical?

I might have used the wrong word, what I was trying to get at was that they just didn't fill the curves of the bumper and hood in what felt like a pleasing way.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I'd totally be ok with that for the 2014 model. Maybe some bright trim around the grille so it doesn't look too bland.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The grille looks loving terrible, especially the headlights. And get rid of those retarded huge wheels. Otherwise I don't mind it, but it doesn't really strike me as particularly Mustang-y.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
It doesn't look like a muscle car at all. It looks like some one-off for rich eurotrash. The stance is wrong and it's too low.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It looks like ford finally gets to kill off the mustang by turning it into a ford probe. Muscle cars do not need to be aerodynamic.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

I don't get it, is this supposed to be the 2014, that site doesn't load at all.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
What's up with the "Coupe LX" thing that's covered by the overlayed 2011 picture? Also, next thing you know they'll tell us that the '14 will come with IRS!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's just some random photo-illustration. In fact I think it's pretty old now.
ah here it is, june 2009
http://www.mykarre.com/blog/view/id_27/title_Tuning-Bilder-Fake-Virtual-Tuning-Vol-5/

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 22, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

RockSmart posted:

what the hell is it

Just some guy's concept Mustang. I could see Ford going this direction. It's not like you'll have to worry about Ford releasing it that low, with wheels that big, or a front fascia that aggressive.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

RockSmart posted:

It doesn't look like a muscle car at all. It looks like some one-off for rich eurotrash. The stance is wrong and it's too low.

Funny, lowering springs are one of the most popular first modifications people make to their Mustangs.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Killbot posted:

Funny, lowering springs are one of the most popular first modifications people make to their Mustangs.

Yeah but they don't chop the roof and body drop them, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Killbot posted:

How do you drive a car like that on the street? Even stock, I have to be careful to make sure my front end doesn't scrape when, for example, driving onto a ferry or driving out of a parking garage onto the street, to say nothing of scraping on any curbstone when parking (though that's really easily avoidable, of course).