Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I get the same thing, Mo_Steel. Guess we're just gonna have to wait for an update.

I don't really mind personally, though. I've also noticed that the play/pause button you can put in your extensions tool bar sometimes shows videos I've closed, so it's not entirely bug free, hehe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I've found in the latest 11.10 release that if you have Gmail open, and mouseover the tab to see the preview, this happens:

Edit: Mousing over a forums tab also does this:

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 16, 2011

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Well, I could have spent the morning updating the SA QuickMenu.

Or, I could do this:

And it auto-updates the forum listings.. Obviously a work in progress, but hey, it's better than an egg timer!

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004

flappin fish posted:

An even better fix is further down the same thread - the Image Autosizer extension. Now I've got it set up so the image loads to original size by default and resizes to fit the window when I click it.

It really sucks that I have to use a third party extension for this.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Syrg Sapphire posted:

- why the hell did they think I wanted 20 new bookmarks on my bar? If I wanted Ask.com on there I'D ALREADY HAVE IT BOOKMARKED.

Holy poo poo this.

So far, I've deleted those loving bookmarks at least three times with this version. And of course three additional times when I first installed the browser on those machines.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Wheany posted:

So far, I've deleted those loving bookmarks at least three times with this version.

This. This so much. I can grudgingly accept putting them in there on initial installation. Putting them back on updates is more assholish but whatever, I can deal.

Having them COME BACK ALL THE TIME and polluting my speed dial with them is just unacceptable.

I haven't been using Opera as my main browser for too long but I quite like it and this poo poo just really pisses me off.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

orphean posted:

Having them COME BACK ALL THE TIME and polluting my speed dial with them is just unacceptable.

Now this one is new to me. I didn't get them on Speed Dial at all, haven't seen an update yet to test if they return on upgrade.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah, I upgrade to almost every weekly build and I have only ever had them come back when I purposefully reset my installation (i.e. do a full install rather than an upgrade one). I would say that something is wrong, because they are not supposed to do that.

Possibly this has something to do with Opera Link. I don't use it.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Lakitu7 posted:

Possibly this has something to do with Opera Link. I don't use it.

Dude good call. I bet that's what it is. Going to turn that off and see what happens.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time
Whilst we're bitching about v11, why the christ have they changed the "Reload Every.." option to only have the least frequent times as clickables, so if I want to refresh every (say) one minute (for example if I'm in TRP during matchday) then I have to use the "Custom" option and choose 1 minute.

Ok, it's only one more mouseclick, but it just seems daft.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Sonic H posted:

Whilst we're bitching about v11, why the christ have they changed the "Reload Every.." option to only have the least frequent times as clickables, so if I want to refresh every (say) one minute (for example if I'm in TRP during matchday) then I have to use the "Custom" option and choose 1 minute.

I think it was to free their gui from having an hour setting on the Reload Every Custom. Limiting it mostly to hours keeps the Reload Every out of the "dick move" territory if you're using it for servers having problems and doesn't stress users to do the complicated math of hours into minutes. :effort:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Sonic H posted:

Just edit the menu ini files if you need terrible reload times on servers you don't control that often.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
"Opera turbo is currently not available"

Oh, so nothing has changed in the 3 seconds you last showed me that toast pop up.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://twitter.com/#!/opvard/status/63197882496466944 Opportunity to have your gripes heard by the lead desktop project guy, who is asking for them.

Cpt Thorne
Apr 13, 2009

orphean posted:

Dude good call. I bet that's what it is. Going to turn that off and see what happens.

It is opera link. I just upgraded opera usb on 7-8 work computers I use and had the same problem. Solution I found was, installed Opera, deleted all the bookmarks, restarted Opera and only after that, enabled Opera link.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Lakitu7 posted:

http://twitter.com/#!/opvard/status/63197882496466944 Opportunity to have your gripes heard by the lead desktop project guy, who is asking for them.

I don't use twitter, but has anyone else had a problem with slow youtube and gmail, and huge memory usage?
Seem like even though my connection is fine and I can download files fast, my browsing is as slow as a wet week, and opera is often using 200MB of RAM.
I've been using opera since v8 or v9 (jumped from mozilla 1.3 before they were firefox whenever that was).
Used to be fast and use less memory than firefox, but now it seems slow and a memory hog even though the added features are nice.

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011

Fo3 posted:

I don't use twitter, but has anyone else had a problem with slow youtube and gmail, and huge memory usage?
Seem like even though my connection is fine and I can download files fast, my browsing is as slow as a wet week, and opera is often using 200MB of RAM.
I've been using opera since v8 or v9 (jumped from mozilla 1.3 before they were firefox whenever that was).
Used to be fast and use less memory than firefox, but now it seems slow and a memory hog even though the added features are nice.

Youtube has gone to poo poo with the current release. I have no idea if it's a result of the Flash updates I've been doing.

The current version 11.10 for memory usage, is a lot better than the immediate release before this one. I used to use about 1.5 - 1.8 gigs of RAM and now it's gone down to 800 megs with no reduction in number of tabs (I open A LOT).

I really enjoyed the v7, v8 days. But once they started trying to do everything at once, I feel they become mediocre in all their other areas.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
New Opera alpha released: 10.5 AKA Swordfish:
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/swordfish-and-opera-next

Also:
  • Opera next, which allows you to install Opera pre-releases alongside your stable Opera.
  • Link gets password synchronization
  • Speed dial gets its own extensions that let you customize our speed dial previews

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
Anyone know if there are specific settings for Opera when using SSDs? I know Firefox has a few tweaks to improve the life of the SSD, but wasn't sure about Opera.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Opera 11.11 released. It's a security update

Download: http://www.opera.com/browser/
Changelogs: http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
edit: dumb question, just needed to clear my cache

Papercut fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 19, 2011

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Are there any extensions that would let me opera to run only certain plugins on demand, but whitelist certain sites so that plugins run automatically?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
11.50 beta is out:
http://www.opera.com/browser/next/

This whole Opera Next thing is really messing with my paradigm of running weeklies as my main browser except when the changelogs/comments indicate there's a dealbreaker. Anyone figured out the best way to replicate that? Transfer my settings to Opera Next, use it always instead of a regular Opera install, disable autoupdate, and update it manually when I choose, I guess?

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 31, 2011

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Any gurus know how to get the icons for the tab bar bigger? With this new alpha they're like tiny things that start small and get smaller and smaller with more tabs due to too much padding for the tab around the icon.

Just upgrading to the new beta shrunk them quickly and adding more tabs moves them into indistinct territory far faster than before.

Any ideas?

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

DuckConference posted:

Are there any extensions that would let me opera to run only certain plugins on demand, but whitelist certain sites so that plugins run automatically?

It can be done without extensions. In Preferences go to Advanced -> Content and tick "Enable plug-ins only on demand". Then for every site you want to white-list, open the site, right-click and select "Edit Site Preferences..", go to the Content tab and untick "Enable plug-ins only on demand".

edit: Oops that's for all plug-ins, not for specific ones like you asked. To be honest, Flash is the only plug-in I use. I disabled all the rest a while back and no sites seem to have required them since.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

MisterLizard posted:

It can be done without extensions. In Preferences go to Advanced -> Content and tick "Enable plug-ins only on demand". Then for every site you want to white-list, open the site, right-click and select "Edit Site Preferences..", go to the Content tab and untick "Enable plug-ins only on demand".

edit: Oops that's for all plug-ins, not for specific ones like you asked. To be honest, Flash is the only plug-in I use. I disabled all the rest a while back and no sites seem to have required them since.

Thanks, this should work fine for what I need.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

DuckConference posted:

Thanks, this should work fine for what I need.

I think this is new from 11.5 onwards. I only just noticed it today while looking for something else. I remember looking for a similar thing not long ago in v10.x and there was no option to enable plug-ins on a per-site basis.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

This whole Opera Next thing is really messing with my paradigm of running weeklies as my main browser except when the changelogs/comments indicate there's a dealbreaker. Anyone figured out the best way to replicate that? Transfer my settings to Opera Next, use it always instead of a regular Opera install, disable autoupdate, and update it manually when I choose, I guess?

I just installed Opera Next over my existing installation and am using it as normal. The autoupdate can be disabled in opera:config, but by default it seems to only notify you when there's an available update. You can then tell it to download and install if you want.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Sounds good. I'll get to doing this soon. The last few builds have looked fine. I guess the only change then is I'll have a white Opera icon instead.

Thanks

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I had Google's auto-complete garbage turned off, but apparently it's back with a vengeance.

How do I turn that annoying poo poo off?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Is that the changed cursor->hand over Google's search field?

If it is, what type of goat do I need to sacrifice such that the gods will rid me of this awful behavior?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Man, they're loving up a lot with the recent dev builds. My Opera is stuck on german and the right-click-scroll doesn't wrap from the right-most tab to the left-most tab anymore ...

Edit: And my speed dial keeps losing its contents. Reverting.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 14, 2011

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Also anecdotal but I don't have either of those problems with today's build. :confused:

I don't know about the speed dial one. I don't use speed dial.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Jesus loving christ, reverted to 11.11 and now all my mail filters and feeds are gone!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

Also anecdotal but I don't have either of those problems with today's build. :confused:
Well, my OS is german, so it defaults to that, despite the settings clearly being English (GB). As for the wrapping: Are you using "Cycle without showing list" for Ctrl+Tab cycling?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Mithaldu posted:

Well, my OS is german, so it defaults to that, despite the settings clearly being English (GB). As for the wrapping: Are you using "Cycle without showing list" for Ctrl+Tab cycling?

I wasn't, but when I turn that on, it still works for me.

I don't use mail/feeds either so I don't know if I'm having problem with those.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

I wasn't, but when I turn that on, it still works for me.

I don't use mail/feeds either so I don't know if I'm having problem with those.

Maybe it's because i have alternate cycle mode activated in opera:config, since using "cycle without showing list" with that option disable results in in opera using the stupid "cycle in last used order" mode, just without the irritating popup.

Figured out the mail/feeds thing. They're still there, just ... all hidden for some reason. I have a lot of loving clicking ahead of me to display them again.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
opera:config has that set to 1, for me. I don't remember ever changing it, so maybe that's the default?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
What is the default number of addresses to remember under History preferences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
So apparently checkboxes are broken in this build?

It appears that checking it still works as usual, it still enables and disables accepting cookies. But there's just a black line through the middle. :confused: