Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Phone posted:

Use FCM's spreadsheet to mess around with the numbers for the best FRC.

As for sway bars, go with the RB tubular front with blocks or FM solid front. The rear keep your 11 or 12mm bar.

Thanks... I had somehow missed that spreadsheet.

Quick question to anyone, why does everyone seem to run the stock rear bar or a relatively small bar in comparison to the front? Is the Miata prone so snap oversteer or just set up to naturally oversteer in stock form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you have a decent suspension with good spring rates and good shocks, you'll want the biggest front bar you can find and then use the rear bar to fine tune the car. For autocross applications, it's recommended to disconnect the rear bar. For the track, you need to have a rear bar attached or else you'll have never ending understeer. Both Emilio and Shaikh say that the 14mm Mazdaspeed Miata rear bar is the biggest rear bar you'll ever need on the track.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Ugh, how long has miata.net's classifieds been behind a paywall? I'm trying to sell my hardtop because student loans and last minute wedding stuff has raped us financially, and I can't afford the $23 they want to get an account that can list ads now.

I posted it to craigslist, but I have never gotten anything but scam attempts from craigslist postings in the past. Is there anywhere else I can post it?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Clubroadster has the biggest miata based F/S forum that I know of. It's certainly like 100x more active that mnet.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
LF: rimzzzzzzzz, hidzzzzzzzz, and spoilahzzzzzzz

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
roadster lifestyle

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

WTS JDM aluminum a/c vent rings.

$400

Each.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Hi all!

My differential took a poo poo tonight. I am going to attempt a rebuild of it. Car is a 92 NON-lsd as far as I know. My pussy rear end Miata Enthusiast Manual does not recommend this as a diy job and therefore does not supply me with the clearances and such so I am going to get a factory service manual.

I'm wondering if anyone has been into the diff before and if they have any advice for me before I start or source for the parts I'll need. I still need to see if I can get the parts. I'm assuming I can. This is something I wanna try myself so I'd get a used or new diff as a last resort.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
If I were you I would REALLY just buy a used lsd diff/carrier/half shafts out of a 94-97. Rebuilding a diff is kind of a bitch, and if you are new to it, could end it tears.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

mobn posted:

Ugh, how long has miata.net's classifieds been behind a paywall? I'm trying to sell my hardtop because student loans and last minute wedding stuff has raped us financially, and I can't afford the $23 they want to get an account that can list ads now.

I posted it to craigslist, but I have never gotten anything but scam attempts from craigslist postings in the past. Is there anywhere else I can post it?

how much and where u live at

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Feces Starship posted:

how much and where u live at

1500 and Waukesha WI. I just posted it in the AI Marketplace thread too.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Piano posted:

WTS JDM aluminum a/c vent rings.

$400

Each.

Or will trade for any sub $600 coilover, but it must be Chinese and allow for a wheel center to fender measurement of -3".

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Somebody just post speed and class miata and be done with it.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
mobn i cannot give you a promise and my guess is that you'll move the thing more quickly than i would help with but if you're still holding this thing in mid may i'm just a car ferry away from you and i need a miata hard top. just something to think about.

I'll keep in touch.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Feces Starship posted:

mobn i cannot give you a promise and my guess is that you'll move the thing more quickly than i would help with but if you're still holding this thing in mid may i'm just a car ferry away from you and i need a miata hard top. just something to think about.

I'll keep in touch.

Well, the only response I've gotten so far is "I'll totes give you a money order for it bro", so have hope Feces Starship.

edit: "Can you ship it to Nigeria? I'll paypal you."

mobn fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 21, 2011

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

mobn posted:

1500 and Waukesha WI. I just posted it in the AI Marketplace thread too.

I'm in Janesville, got PM?

derp - misread - just the hard top, nm.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Anyone have a set of daisies for sale/trade/free in California? I have some 1.6NA ignition parts for trade. I'm hoping to put some new wheels on the Charade and painted daisies look far better than trying to stuff my 13ET 16X7" Team Dynamics Monza Rs onto a Daihatsu, and are a bit lighter.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Hard Dog hitch installed on my NC. Now I just need to reinstall the bumper cover and all the junk.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
hard tops go for $1500? That's insane.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

n8r posted:

$2300 for OEM.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

n8r posted:

That's pretty much the standard price for used hard tops.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

mobn posted:

That's pretty much the standard price for used hard tops.
What the hell? A decent hard top is worth $800-1000. The only thing you should pay $1500 for is a freshly painted, mint hardtop.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

A little tedious, but easier then I thought it would be.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

destructo posted:

What the hell? A decent hard top is worth $800-1000. The only thing you should pay $1500 for is a freshly painted, mint hardtop.

When I went shopping for this thing originally there was not a single one listed anywhere within 1000 miles for less than 1500.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

dema posted:

A little tedious, but easier then I thought it would be.

Hey fellow don't need a truck to tow poo poo buddy. I have a hitch on my NA and it tows my 4x8 harbor freight trailer with ease. The PO installed it to tow a jetski around and said she had no trouble in doing so. I'll probably be looking to do the same this summer. Granted I live in Florida so snow and mountains I don't have to worry about when towing. There's just something special about towing 600lbs of poo poo and having the top down that is very enjoyable.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

mobn posted:

When I went shopping for this thing originally there was not a single one listed anywhere within 1000 miles for less than 1500.

How long ago was that? Everyone has already built their Spec Miatas now, the going price is $800-$1000 in every market I looked at. Except for the odd $1200 or $1300 hardtop that sits forever on CL.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Suniikaa posted:

If I were you I would REALLY just buy a used lsd diff/carrier/half shafts out of a 94-97. Rebuilding a diff is kind of a bitch, and if you are new to it, could end it tears.

I have taken your advice and gotten a Torsen rear, carrier, halfshafts, driveshaft out of an '03 for about 800 bucks($550 for a new ring and pinion influenced a bit). Should be here next week. Thanks!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

FatCow posted:

How long ago was that? Everyone has already built their Spec Miatas now, the going price is $800-$1000 in every market I looked at. Except for the odd $1200 or $1300 hardtop that sits forever on CL.

Seriously. I'm about to list mine for sale for about $800 and see how that goes.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

There are probably thousands upon thousands of tops just sitting around in garages of apathetic old dudes.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
My soft-top is developing holes (not bad for 10 years of not having a garage), and I'm thinking of just going hard-top.

If I did want OEM, just go through Mazda or is there a better option?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Robbins is pretty much the way to go. Pulling the softtop frame entirely isn't too hard, either for going hardtop only.

I've been hardtop only since I got my car, and I do kinda miss out on being able to drop the top.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yep, I'd highly recommend a Robbins top. Just as good (or better) than an OEM in quality, and a lot cheaper.

I put a Robbins no-zip glass-windowed top on my 95M in '07 and it's been superb. Definitely get glass no matter what you get.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Guinness posted:

Yep, I'd highly recommend a Robbins top. Just as good (or better) than an OEM in quality, and a lot cheaper.

I put a Robbins no-zip glass-windowed top on my 95M in '07 and it's been superb. Definitely get glass no matter what you get.

Cloth or vinyl? Can you guys comment on pros/cons of both. I really like the look of cloth tops and they're suppose to do better with constant up and down.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I bought a vinyl. IMO, vinyl is easier to take care of and clean. It also resists the elements better than cloth. It doesn't have any problem going up and down a lot - just don't do it in the cold (less than ~40F). If you're going to low maintenance, go for vinyl.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I bumped someone parallel parking. My big smiley '09 grille is now missing some of its teeth :cry: And it's $368 to replace

Oh well, I guess I'll be toothless for a while :D

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

DreamOn13 posted:

Seriously. I'm about to list mine for sale for about $800 and see how that goes.

Since everyone says this is the case now, for goons only I will make it $800. Sadly I need any kind of money more than I need a hard top.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

With gas on the rise from $4.50/gallon and my project car (Volvo 240 Turbo) nearing completion, I'm looking for cheaper transportation options while still being able to have some fun driving around. My friends are all automotive enthusiasts and recommend Miatas because they get pretty good mileage and are awesome to drive.

1. Being 6'2", I don't fit into many cars. Will I fit into a Miata?
2. Can I realistically find a Miata for under $2000 in running condition? I don't care about exterior at all. I just don't want any catastrophic problems with the car.
3. How cheap are these to maintain compared to Volvo 240's?

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I know everyones going to say the car is dirt cheap to maintain, but im looking at $500 for a new IACV (a little tiny thing under the throttle body) due to low idle. Ive never seen something so crazy in my life.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

I know everyones going to say the car is dirt cheap to maintain, but im looking at $500 for a new IACV (a little tiny thing under the throttle body) due to low idle. Ive never seen something so crazy in my life.

Have you tried cleaning it first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Xovaan posted:

With gas on the rise from $4.50/gallon and my project car (Volvo 240 Turbo) nearing completion, I'm looking for cheaper transportation options while still being able to have some fun driving around. My friends are all automotive enthusiasts and recommend Miatas because they get pretty good mileage and are awesome to drive.

1. Being 6'2", I don't fit into many cars. Will I fit into a Miata?
2. Can I realistically find a Miata for under $2000 in running condition? I don't care about exterior at all. I just don't want any catastrophic problems with the car.
3. How cheap are these to maintain compared to Volvo 240's?

I'm 6'2" and have daily driven a Miata for about 40,000 miles. I paid $1050 for it and have put a bit more than that into upkeep since then (4 years ago).