Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
A former teacher of mine has refused to watch a single baseball game since the Dodgers moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
I've been ironically supporting the "move the Dodgers back to Brooklyn and contract the Mets" cause for years now, surprised that someone ripped me off

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

The broken bones posted:

The ones that are still around post, depressingly enough, at the Baseball Fever forums in the Brooklyn Dodgers subforum.

They'll have an established fanbase of tens! HUGE!

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

I've been ironically supporting the "move the Dodgers back to Brooklyn and contract the Mets" cause for years now, surprised that someone ripped me off

You should call his mom

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
My grandmother hasn't watched a single baseball game since the Dodgers left. :smith:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Wow, I always wondered about those weird old New Yorkers I would see wearing blue Red Sox caps. :v:

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

A drat FOG posted:

You should call his mom

Sportswriters and/or Forbes writers are all old white men she is probably dead

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

Sportswriters and/or Forbes writers are all old white men she is probably dead

Well tell him you tried but she was too busy rolling over in her grave in shame

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Michael Wilbon deciding to join twitter is such a momentous occasion that he wrote an article about why he joined.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=wilbon/110422

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
I'm such a homer, I love my local newspaper as well. Well, loved it, until the Washington post sports section began to go downhill. Growing up, the coverage of the local teams and the level of writing were excellent. In addition to losing beat guys to espn and Nflnetwork, I grew up on awesome columns by kornheiser and Boswell, as well as a pre-"only care about the NBA" wilbon. Even Sally jenskins would write good articles, if her content and opinion wasn't retarded.

Now, Boswell is the only old school columnist left. Dan steinberg is the only person that gives me hope in at young writer. I'm sorry, Mike Wise has no place writing columns on the washington post. Not too crazy about Tracy Hamilton (Guys are better at writing sports columns IMHO). The entire sports page has gone down hill. No orioles coverage, even though the dc metro area is filled with orioles fans. Sometimes the recap of a wizards or other local team game will not even list the score on the front page. The only thing the post has going for it are the beat reporters. The capitals and redskins blogs are solid.

Id hate to be working for a newspaper in this day and age. But if any other dc goons have opinions on the post I'd love to hear. Sorry for the lack of cohesion in this post, I'm distracted and posting from iPad where typing ain't that easy.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

cereal eater posted:

(Guys are better at writing sports columns IMHO)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Those loving girls should stick to the style section where they belong, am I right?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Keep on eating that cereal, don't let the bastards grind you down

leokitty fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 25, 2011

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

MorningView posted:

Those loving girls should stick to the style section where they belong, am I right?

Women should be neither reading nor writing in the first place. Trying to confine literate women to one section of the paper is like harboring plague carriers in only one room of your house.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

cereal eater posted:

(Guys are better at writing sports columns IMHO)

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Nice to meet you Cereal Eater! What are your thoughts on the blacks?

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I'm not saying rape is justified, but a woman should know better than to write a column about sports while wearing a Giants jersey at Dodger Stadium.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

A drat FOG posted:

I'm not saying rape is justified, but a woman should know better than to write a column about sports while wearing a Giants jersey at Dodger Stadium.

______/

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
You guys have no sense of humor, jeeze. I know the Washington post has a great history of female sports writers, like Rachel Nichols, and Shirley Povich, one of the Great female sports editors of all time.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
ah yes, the you have no sense of humor defense

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I'm mourning the death of my baseball son how can I be expected to have a sense of humor :negative:

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

cereal eater posted:

You guys have no sense of humor, jeeze. I know the Washington post has a great history of female sports writers, like Rachel Nichols, and Shirley Povich, one of the Great female sports editors of all time.

You should probably reread your post and explain how anyone could have assumed you were joking since many people believe without irony what you wrote

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

proto stiegerwald posted:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Mods change cereal eater's name to proto steigerwald

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
In case anyone who browses the thread and has writing aspirations hasn't seen this, Football Outsiders is hiring. Be a person that makes sports analysis/journalism better!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2011/site-news-fo-seeks-assistant-editor

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

leokitty posted:

I'm mourning the death of my baseball son how can I be expected to have a sense of humor :negative:

He will rise again in three days. This had to happen. Philbert died for our dingers. It is no coincidence that we could not score runs this day.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/25/books/bottom-of-the-33rd-by-dan-barry-review.html?_r=3&hpw

quote:

But in an era when drug revelations and statistical reformulations have left fans wary of proclamations of pastoral innocence, baseball sentiment is rough terrain. Myth and Romance sit at the end of the bench, near the water cooler, replaced in the lineup by VORP (value over replacement player) and H.G.H. (human growth hormone).

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Oh my god

quote:

During the final game of the 1986 World Series two former Pawtucket teammates, Bruce Hurst and Bob Ojeda, “will spot each other, one in a Red Sox uniform, one in a Mets uniform, and their eyes will lock in wordless communication, conveying so much, including: Pawtucket.”

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Steroids and Sabermetrics are literally the same thing (in that they're destroying baseball)

hahahaha you didn't even quote the best part:

quote:

By the 24th inning Mr. Barry wonders: “Is this even a baseball game anymore? Maybe it has morphed into some kind of extravagant form of performance art, in which the failure to reach climax is the point; in which the repetition of scoreless innings signals the meaninglessness of existence.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Probably a tired question, but who or what should I be reading?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Fevernova posted:

Probably a tired question, but who or what should I be reading?

Gary Smith and Joe Posnanski should be enough to get you through life.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

I was really excited for this book, but it seems to be the worse of baseball-inspired purple prose.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Let me double check here: When Barry Bonds alleged used PEDs they were not banned by baseball right? I have read so much about Bonds "cheating".

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
If he thinks men write better sports columns than women, it doesn't make him a misogynist. He's entitled to his opinion; it's not like he said they shouldn't be allowed to write them.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Ace Jameson posted:

If he thinks men write better sports columns than women, it doesn't make him a misogynist. He's entitled to his opinion; it's not like he said they shouldn't be allowed to write them.

Enlighten me, what characteristic of being a woman could make it harder to write a sports column? Is it the clit?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Author photos are great

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

A drat FOG posted:

Enlighten me, what characteristic of being a woman could make it harder to write a sports column? Is it the clit?

Not being allowed into locker rooms at major sporting events

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

A drat FOG posted:

I don't know? I never said I agreed with him.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

A drat FOG posted:

How much could one learn of sport from the kitchen? ha ha ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Ace Jameson posted:

I don't know? I never said I agreed with him.

You defended what he said as "not sexist" so I assumed you would be able to come up with some way for his opinion to make sense without being sexist.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Not being allowed into locker rooms at major sporting events

That's a good observation but I'm not sure I buy that anyone is reading sports columns by women, thinking "man, this broad would really have something if she just had some locker room anecdotes to throw in there."