Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

io_burn posted:

Hey Duckman2008 (or any other Sprint dudes), here's a question for you-

Apparently if you get a certain Droid you're eligible for some kind of "pro" data plan (no clue what they actually call it) where you're able to do hotspot tethering with both unlimited 3G AND 4G. I have absolutely no problem paying more for a plan, having a voice plan that I can't even use, and whatever other ridiculous baggage I need to take on in order to get this plan on my 3G/4G MiFi. Sprint's 4G coverage is getting substantially better, but often times indoors you get kicked down to 3G inside of large buildings. That 5GB cap is hilariously low when you're actually using your device for anything other than casual web browsing once in a while.

Are there ANY balls that can be cupped on any level of Sprint to get my account switched to this kind of plan? I've tried asking at Sprint stores and by calling customer service but what I'm trying to do doesn't seem to process through their brains to even figure out if it can be done or not. If this is even remotely possible I can PM you all my account details or whatever if that helps.

It seems kind of silly that they'd offer this service on a phone capable of acting as a hotspot, but not the actual hotspot device itself. Can I get on that plan with like a dummy Droid, then do an ESN swap to my MiFi?

Do you have a Sprint phone as well? That's the main question.

Sprint does offer an official phone hotspot plan at $30 a month. The reason it is half (far as I can tell) is because that is in addition to the minimum $79.99 a month plan, so theoretically in the end it balances out. It is unlimited 3G/4G, and it is nice that you can add and remove it on an Android phone at any time and it prorates (so a family can hotspot for a week but not pay the full $30 for only 7 days).

Honestly the plan for the MiFi hotspot is just kind of retarded right now, for reasons you mentioned, the 5GB cap on 3G, being $60 a month, etc. The only options I know of are a special $49.99 a month plan, but you need to tie that in with the $99 everything plan (aka its retarded). There are unlimited 3G only plans for business lines, but those are not available for regular joe.

I am not aware of any EPRP Aircard plan, but that is not my area and would be more of a question for someone like Chappy or Mahjoning (or however you spell his username).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
No I don't have a Sprint phone, my phone is an AT&T iPhone. Does Sprint network not work like GSM in that (theoretically, before AT&T started detecting tethering and SIM swapping) I could pop the SIM out of my iPhone, pop it into a GSM MiFi, and have access to that unlimited data? Couldn't I do that, but instead of swapping SIMs just do an ESN swap? Yeah, it would cost $100/mo, but what would prevent me from doing that aside from one plan being a data connect plan and one plan being a phone plan with features I can't use?

I really want to figure out if this is possible or not because with both unlimited 3G/4G, I really could use my MiFi as my primary internet connection even if it cost a little bit more.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The device type is listed in the sprint ESN database.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

brc64 posted:

I'm probably going to have to pass on the Google Voice integration. I got my invite tonight, but when I looked, I saw what I was afraid to see. If I choose to make my Sprint number my Voice number, I'll lose my existing Voice number (it stays active for 90 days). I don't want that, and I don't want all my Sprint calls to show up as my Voice number either (I want to keep things separate), so this isn't for me.

Ideally, I'd like to just have two separate Voice numbers, one of which happens to be my Sprint number, but it doesn't work that way.

I assume that I won't "lose" my actual Sprint Number if I make my GV number my Sprint number though, right?

I want to go that route, but I don't want everyone who has my existing Sprint Number to suddenly not be able to contact me if they don't change my contact information. Basically, I want all of the features that Google Voice offers, but I want to be able to have unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling though that number.

What happens when someone calls/texts me at my existing Sprint Number? Does Sprint just forward it along to Google's servers, and it all shows up in my GV app?

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

io_burn posted:

No I don't have a Sprint phone, my phone is an AT&T iPhone. Does Sprint network not work like GSM in that (theoretically, before AT&T started detecting tethering and SIM swapping) I could pop the SIM out of my iPhone, pop it into a GSM MiFi, and have access to that unlimited data? Couldn't I do that, but instead of swapping SIMs just do an ESN swap? Yeah, it would cost $100/mo, but what would prevent me from doing that aside from one plan being a data connect plan and one plan being a phone plan with features I can't use?

I really want to figure out if this is possible or not because with both unlimited 3G/4G, I really could use my MiFi as my primary internet connection even if it cost a little bit more.

Buy an evo shift for 149, activate it, root it. Use the wireless tether app. 79.99 a month for unlimited 3g and 4g.

To answer your question, you cannot just do an ESN swap. You can only add certain plans to some devices.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Ozmodiar posted:

I assume that I won't "lose" my actual Sprint Number if I make my GV number my Sprint number though, right?

I want to go that route, but I don't want everyone who has my existing Sprint Number to suddenly not be able to contact me if they don't change my contact information. Basically, I want all of the features that Google Voice offers, but I want to be able to have unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling though that number.

What happens when someone calls/texts me at my existing Sprint Number? Does Sprint just forward it along to Google's servers, and it all shows up in my GV app?

Hope this helps some

quote:

Hello,

You have been invited to start enjoying the benefits of the Sprint integration before anyone else! We are interested in your feedback as we roll this out to the entire user base and have listed a link to a form where you can send feedback and/or questions.

There are two ways to enable the integrated service:

1. Option 1: Keep your Sprint number (all the benefits of porting without the need to). In this case, your Sprint number becomes your Google Voice number so that when people call your Sprint mobile number, it rings all the phones you want.

How to enable this: click on the "change/port" link next to your GV # in the settings page, choose the option to use your existing number, enter your Sprint number and select the Sprint option.

2. Option 2: Replace your Sprint number with your Google Voice number (all the benefits of the app without the need for one). In this case, all calls made from your Sprint phone will display your Google Voice # natively (same for SMS).

How to enable this: click on the "enable Google Voice on your Sprint phone" link next to your Sprint forwarding phone. If the link does not show, click on edit and use the link to verify whether your phone is eligible.

In both cases, Google Voice replaces Sprint voicemail (pressing one on your phone links you to your Google Voicemail) and international calls made from the Sprint phone will be connected by Google Voice. Integrating your account with Sprint means you will still get the benefits of Any Mobile Any Time if that is included in your service plan.

Important Notes:

The integrated service only works with a valid Sprint mobile number.
For this early release, Sprint support channels will not be available for support, including Sprint Retail Stores, Sprint Customer Care, Sprint Telesales, Sprint Direct Sales Reps, etc.
If you need support, or have feedback, please fill out this form
If you use the Google Voice app on Android, you will need to log out and log back in to make sure the app stops using call interception.
Thanks,

Vincent Paquet, on behalf of the Google Voice team

© 2011 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

You are receiving this email announcement because you requested to be notified when the Sprint integration was available.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I know GV doesn't do MMS, so how does that impact Sprint's GV integration?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

If you use a sprint number and integrate it with Google Voice it will work fine, assumingly only via your phone and not texting through the computer.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My understanding is MMS go to the normal app and not the Google Voice app.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

chemosh6969 posted:

Hope this helps some

Thanks.

I found this helpful too.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/04/google-voice-sprint/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you want to access your MMS online, there is always http://www.sprint.com/picturemail

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
So after watching some reviews, I bought the Kyocera Echo off ebay. I had the HTC EVO for 6 months, but I actually like the Echo better so far. Only been messing around with it for a day so heres a mini review:

Pros:
1. Feels faster than the EVO.
2. The dual screens are more useful than novelty.
3. Comes with an extra battery+ cool portable charging system.
4. Kyocera seems to be putting a lot of support behind it, has its own dual-screen app store.
5. Speaker is louder than the EVO.

Cons:
1. Camera is pretty mediocre compared to the EVO.
2. Still in the break in period for the battery, but power users should definitely have the portable charging system in their back pocket if they want a full day of usage.

Overall its a pretty good phone.

dundun fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 23, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dundun posted:

So after watching some reviews, I bought the Kyocera Echo off ebay. I had the HTC EVO for 6 months, but I actually like the Echo better so far. Only been messing around with it for a day so heres a mini review:

Pros:
1. Feels faster than the EVO.
2. The dual screens are more useful than novelty.
3. Comes with an extra battery+ cool portable charging system.
4. Kyocera seems to be putting a lot of support behind it, has its own dual-screen app store.
5. Speaker is louder than the EVO.

Cons:
1. Camera is pretty mediocre compared to the EVO.
2. Still in the break in period for the battery, but power users should definitely have the portable charging system in their back pocket if they want a full day of usage.

Overall its a pretty good phone.

After trying out the Echo for a few days I have to honestly agree with this. Phone is surprisingly solid. I have been using dual screen for everything and in most cases (such as using the awful app) it is a really nice addition. I do occassionally see lag, and I find skyfire works better than the stock web browser, but overall not many complaints. I would still say the Evo is the faster phone personally. The biggest surpise though is the screen quality, both screens just look really good.

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad
What kind of extra fees does Sprint tack on to monthly bills? I'm used to AT&T talking on at least an extra $15 in random fees and stuff. I just don't wanna expect to pay $70 and then end up with a $90 bill every month. If it's going to be like that, it might be the deciding factor in me going with Virin Mobile and the Optimus V for the moment.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Gumball Dad posted:

What kind of extra fees does Sprint tack on to monthly bills? I'm used to AT&T talking on at least an extra $15 in random fees and stuff. I just don't wanna expect to pay $70 and then end up with a $90 bill every month. If it's going to be like that, it might be the deciding factor in me going with Virin Mobile and the Optimus V for the moment.

This is what it's like on my bill, YMMV especially by state:

code:
Sprint Surcharges

Federal-Univ Serv Assess Non-LD 	 $0.84 
 	Administrative Charge             	 $0.99 
 	Regulatory Charge                 	 $0.40 
 	--------------
 	                                          $2.23
and
code:
Government Fees & Taxes

Chicago City-911 Tax              	 $2.50 
 	Chicago City-If Appl &State Excise Tax 	 $2.15 
 	Chicago City-Utility Tax          	 $2.15 
 	--------------
 	                                          $6.80
All that and I pay $7/mo for TEP. So my $40/mo bill becomes $56 since I choose to pay for phone insurance.

Still, it's a SERO plan so I'm happy with things the way they are.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gumball Dad posted:

Off my bill, just keep in mind this is 3 lines:

Federal-Univ Serv Assess Non-LD $2.33
Administrative Charge $2.97
Regulatory Charge $1.20
--------------
$6.50

Government Fees & Taxes $11.67

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
As someone who already uses Google Voice for voicemail but doesn't have a Google Voice number, how do I know when I can make my Sprint number my GV number?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

As someone who already uses Google Voice for voicemail but doesn't have a Google Voice number, how do I know when I can make my Sprint number my GV number?

April 26th is official launch day.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
I'm having troubles with sprints customer service.

First off I've had my HTC diamond for 3 years. It was somehow misplaced, I used the pay 100 bucks get a new phone option. I receive it and then I have problems. They replace it, I get a new one. This new one now has a touchscreen that won't work and speaker phone problems. They've ordered a replacement refurbished.

For some reason my original HTC was a different model than the HTC diamonds they are giving me. I don't know if the speaker phone volume issue is due to the new model or if they are really broken. I'm hoping it gets fixed but if it doesn't how do I make sure they give me a different type of phone instead of wasting my time?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Chappy posted:

Buy an evo shift for 149, activate it, root it. Use the wireless tether app. 79.99 a month for unlimited 3g and 4g.

To answer your question, you cannot just do an ESN swap. You can only add certain plans to some devices.

B-b-b-but the elegant simplicity of the MiFi... :smithicide:

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

io_burn posted:

Granted, rooting isn't always the easiest thing to do (I don't know anything about the EVO Shift...), but it's hard to imagine things being less complicated than WiFi Tether.

Or, hell, CM7 has WiFi Tethering BUILT IN...and it works better than WiFi Tether ever did anyhow.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

io_burn posted:

Don't you have to pay 10.00 a month now for data on smartphones?

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

HClChicken posted:

Don't you have to pay 10.00 a month now for data on smartphones?

The 79.99 includes the 10 extra a month. the plan is 69.99 normally

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chappy posted:

The 79.99 includes the 10 extra a month. the plan is 69.99 normally

Or 59.99 for EPRP plus 10 is only 69.99 for unlimited data.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
Swapped my Evo for a Shift today. Really happy with my decision so far. Only complaint I have is the speakerphone on the Shift isn't as loud.

Edit: and the kickstand.

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 24, 2011

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG
If you use your sprint number as the google voice number can it still forward to other phones? How does it work if so? Does it use your minutes at all, or only when you answer on your mobile. I'm also wondering if the anytime mobile thing still works with it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheBlackMallard posted:

Swapped my Evo for a Shift today. Really happy with my decision so far. Only complaint I have is the speakerphone on the Shift isn't as loud.

Edit: and the kickstand.

It is extremely rare now a days that I actually use my kickstand.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

Duckman2008 posted:

I use it often, in fact I'm very disappointed that the evo 2 might not have one

general chaos
May 20, 2001
There are no plans for a new phone with dual GSM/CDMA radios in the near future, correct? I'm not too keen on saddling myself into a contract with the extremely outdated Touch Pro 2 or Blackberry offerings.

I was previously under the assumption that the Nexus S 4G would retain it's GSM capabilities.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

I use it every day at my desk. I will miss it with the EVO 3D.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

fagalicious posted:

If you use your sprint number as the google voice number can it still forward to other phones? How does it work if so? Does it use your minutes at all, or only when you answer on your mobile. I'm also wondering if the anytime mobile thing still works with it?

You can forward to other phones. It works the same way as before where if someone calls your voice number, you can have it go to other phones. It works the same as before.

You still use your minutes but it uses voice for international calls.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

atomicvocabulary posted:

I use it often, in fact I'm very disappointed that the evo 2 might not have one

There's no might about it, the Evo 3D does not have a kickstand unfortunately.

They added a physical camera button and removed the kickstand, not sure that's a great trade but that's what they've done.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
I'm sure it won't take long for someone to make a case with a kickstand for the EVO 3D but I'll still miss it a little bit.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

datajosh posted:

I'm sure it won't take long for someone to make a case with a kickstand for the EVO 3D but I'll still miss it a little bit.

http://www.goodandevo.net/2011/03/htc-evo-3d-to-get-case-with-kickstand-shortly-after-launch.html

It's been planned from the get go

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

900ftjesus posted:

There's no might about it, the Evo 3D does not have a kickstand unfortunately.

They added a physical camera button and removed the kickstand, not sure that's a great trade but that's what they've done.

Maybe the camera button will be useful but god is it distracting and ugly compared to the rest of the device. It sticks out too far and the chrome stands out against the sleek black design.

Has it been confirmed whether or not the Evo 3D has a notification/Charging LED or not?

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

Schadenfreude is so nutritious

chemosh6969 posted:

You can forward to other phones. It works the same way as before where if someone calls your voice number, you can have it go to other phones. It works the same as before.

Agree with this.

I switched a few days ago. I don't experience the same delay during international calls, which is all I used gvoice for previously. Noticed some weirdness with sms: turned off sms notification in gvoice but left email notification on. sent a text today from handcent, saw an email notifying me I had a response but didn't get a gvoice new text notification for several minutes.

hoonchops fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 24, 2011

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

Schadenfreude is so nutritious
q!=e.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

chemosh6969 posted:

Doesn't it still count as mobile to mobile calling (and is therefore unlimited) when you call a cell phone though?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Maybe the camera button will be useful but god is it distracting and ugly compared to the rest of the device. It sticks out too far and the chrome stands out against the sleek black design.

Has it been confirmed whether or not the Evo 3D has a notification/Charging LED or not?
Looks like it does have one according to videos linked in this thread on Android Forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Anyone with a Xoom and this new Sprint/Google voice integration besides me?

So, the Xoom comes with the new version of "Talk" that lets you do voice/video calls in Honeycomb. One of the features you can take advantage of with Google Voice is that if someone rings your # you can forward the call to your gtalk account and answer it from your PC. I decided to see if it would come through the new version of Gtalk on my Xoom. Potentially, I would then be able to take cell phone calls on the tablet anywhere I had a data connection.

I only got to test it it once because I don't have a second line handy to call from, but it didn't seem to work. There is no reason it couldn't work though, as all the tech is in place for it to. Looks like the Sprint may have had Google draw the line here though. Someone else test it to backup my findings!