Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011
I can't think of why she would need to skip them, but that being said, if her stomach is at all touchy right now, I would just wait until after the test. Prenatals can be hard on the stomach anyway, the sweet Karo drink definitely doesn't feel great on the stomach, and without food both can make your stomach insane.

There is certainly no harm waiting to take it after the three hours are up and she can eat with it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for her!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
I failed my 1 hour test, but instead of a 3 hour test they gave me one of the blood sugar monitors and had me test my blood sugar over a week to give them a better idea of my blood sugar levels (which wound up normal). According to the tech, half the women who fail the 1 hour test wind up with normal results. I would take my prenatal with breakfast and it didn't affect my results.

Sitrus
Feb 17, 2009

McStabby posted:

I failed my 1 hour test, but instead of a 3 hour test they gave me one of the blood sugar monitors and had me test my blood sugar over a week to give them a better idea of my blood sugar levels (which wound up normal). According to the tech, half the women who fail the 1 hour test wind up with normal results. I would take my prenatal with breakfast and it didn't affect my results.

I had gestational diabetes. And when doing the three hour test I had to fast. The only thing I was allowed was water. No vitamins etc. If she ends up with gestational diabetes it isn't the end of the world. Eat healthily and follow the advice you get. The main thing is to try and keep your sugarlevels within a normal range and try to avoid spikes.

I have since redone the three hour test after having baby and I took my breastfeeding vitamins that morning. They did affect the fasting result as it was higher than it usually is.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Are these glucose tests done for everyone, or just for specific reasons? I've never heard of them before.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Helanna posted:

Are these glucose tests done for everyone, or just for specific reasons? I've never heard of them before.
They decided to do one because her mom has diabetes. So probably if someone in your family has had it, they'd want to check you. Or maybe for others, if they see some sort of physical symptoms, they'd check?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
So, I'm only at 8 weeks, and I usually wear a C bra size, almost to a D. I just bought a DD bra that fits perfectly, and if this keeps up, will not fit in two months. Am I going to need a wheelbarrow to cart my tits around? (Everyone has told me that they won't really grow until the last few months, or until milk comes in)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Helanna posted:

The OB practice I went to (US) does it for everyone, although I didn't get one because I'm a full-time diabetic (lucky me :( ).

Amykinz, mine grew a lot early on, and then not a lot again until my milk came in.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Fire In The Disco posted:

The OB practice I went to (US) does it for everyone, although I didn't get one because I'm a full-time diabetic (lucky me :( ).

Amykinz, mine grew a lot early on, and then not a lot again until my milk came in.

It was my understanding that the glucose tests were standard operating procedure (US anyway) because GD can present no symptoms and unmanaged have serious consequences. (Emphasis on unmanaged. Don't want to scare anybody...)

Also, seconding the boob thing. Mine shot up a bit at first and then again (temporarily) when my milk came in. They're more reasonable now (7 weeks post-partum).

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006

Helanna posted:

Here in New Zealand they do them for everyone (unless you choose not to do it).

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
As far as I know, the glucose test is standard procedure.

Okay, enough about you people. I have a brand new baby! :neckbeard:

Meet Amelia Irene. She made her appearance at 5:41 p.m. on April 20 (:420:) after two hours of active labor. My husband was a real trooper throughout the whole thing and managed not to pass out in the delivery room. I'm very proud of him. We've been having a hell of a time figuring out how to be parents. My mother has been fantastic with helping out and lending me a hand when I need a rest. I think the only down side of having her around is she's not too supportive of my decision to breastfeed. :( Apparently when she was pregnant, she never bothered trying because she was told it was difficult. Of course, I'm having tons of problems feeding little Peanut, but I'm hanging in there and taking all the advice I've read here (as well as the advice of the lactation consultants at the hospital). We went ahead and rented a breast pump, which will hopefully help. In the meantime, we're supplementing with formula until my body gets things going. With luck, things will get easier when my milk comes in. She's just having so many problems latching with my little nipples. :(

I did have a question, though: How long did it take for you to heal up after delivery? Is there anything that helped you along?

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007
^^^ Congrats! What a cutie.

I'll leave the breastfeeding advice to someone else, but I do have vag healing advice! You have to keep the area clean and dry, which is hard with frikkin lochia pouring out of there. You can lay down pantless on your bed on an old towel/a couple of disposable diapers and air everything out. If you are really excited you can set up a fan as well. Otherwise just change your depends/pads very frequently, wash with plain water while showering twice a day, and dry completely after the shower with a fan or hairdryer on cold.

I had a 2nd degree episiotomy and I healed up just fine with no problems by doing all the above. I took pain meds for 5 days and after that I didn't need any. At six weeks I got the all clear for sex and all was well.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Unasked-for gestational diabetes lecture to follow:

The thing to know about the two glucose tests is that the first is just a screening. Many people have no problem with eating/drinking sugars and carbs while pregnant, and it weeds those people out entirely. They can eat an entire hot fudge sundae before the test and their sugars would register normal. Since the 3-hour test is kind of a pain and probably costs more, they don't want to give it to everyone.

In the 3-hour test they are looking to chart how your blood sugar reacts over time. First, they're getting your fasting blood sugar then seeing how high it spikes, and whether it remains high or comes down. Many women will spike up but it will plummet down with no problem. The real problem is when your blood sugar spikes high and stays high, because it's those sustained high blood sugars that will be enough to affect the baby. That's also why they want a fasting, to make sure you're not getting high sugars in your sleep unawares. But most women will spike up and go right down within an hour = test passed.

If you get diagnosed as "borderline" (IMO as a type 2 diabetic there really isn't any such thing but many OBs are old-fashioned about these things) I highly recommend you look into the GD diet and follow it, at least loosely. They give the test when most women would develop it, but frankly I think for some women if they gave it 3 weeks later they would test positive. It's a function of pregnancy hormones as well as your growing size. If you have diabetics in your family, you might want to follow the diet just to be safe. It's a very healthy diet for any pregnant woman. It boils down to eating smaller meals 5 or 6 times a day, always trying to balance carbs with protein, and avoiding obvious pitfalls like fast food or ice cream binges, and eating lots of high-fiber vegetables and good fats like avocado.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
First, the Bravado bra on the last page is AWESOME. Totally worth the money. Second, when is the glucose test usually done? My next appt. is at 23 weeks and no one's said anything yet. Third, my hips/lower back are killing me. Anyone have tips for dealing with/lessening the pain?

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

foxatee posted:

As far as I know, the glucose test is standard procedure.

Okay, enough about you people. I have a brand new baby! :neckbeard:

Meet Amelia Irene. She made her appearance at 5:41 p.m. on April 20 (:420:) after two hours of active labor. My husband was a real trooper throughout the whole thing and managed not to pass out in the delivery room. I'm very proud of him. We've been having a hell of a time figuring out how to be parents. My mother has been fantastic with helping out and lending me a hand when I need a rest. I think the only down side of having her around is she's not too supportive of my decision to breastfeed. :( Apparently when she was pregnant, she never bothered trying because she was told it was difficult. Of course, I'm having tons of problems feeding little Peanut, but I'm hanging in there and taking all the advice I've read here (as well as the advice of the lactation consultants at the hospital). We went ahead and rented a breast pump, which will hopefully help. In the meantime, we're supplementing with formula until my body gets things going. With luck, things will get easier when my milk comes in. She's just having so many problems latching with my little nipples. :(

I did have a question, though: How long did it take for you to heal up after delivery? Is there anything that helped you along?

Unfortunately my story won't support your desire to breastfeed, but we tried for two weeks straight and used the pump when we finally gave up and we are now formula+pump feeding.

Breastfeeding is very tough, we thought it would get easier when milk came in but it didn't make a difference. We had limited success with a nipple shield but it was just too frustrating.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Just want to throw out there that supplementing can mess with your supply because you're not breastfeeding on demand to maintain. We had to supplement because I did not respond to the pump while I was at work, or any other time. My supply tanked pretty much when I went to work and couldn't BF on demand or pump worth poo poo - and I already had issues.

Edited to clarify that I mean supplementing with formula, not pumped milk.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 25, 2011

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

bamzilla posted:

Just want to throw out there that supplementing can mess with your supply because you're not breastfeeding on demand to maintain. We had to supplement because I did not respond to the pump while I was at work, or any other time. My supply tanked pretty much when I went to work and couldn't BF on demand or pump worth poo poo - and I already had issues.

Correct. My wife has been pumping every other feeding and she can already see changes in her supply. She went from ~120ML per pump to about 80ML in the last few days.

We are prepared for this and are not at all surprised, we just want to get as much BM in him as we can while it lasts.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004

Juanito posted:

They decided to do one because her mom has diabetes. So probably if someone in your family has had it, they'd want to check you. Or maybe for others, if they see some sort of physical symptoms, they'd check?

I was checked and diabetes is the one major disease that doesn't run in my family. For my OB it's routine to do it for every patient.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

bamzilla posted:

I didn't know this was a possibility.

This is basically what we're doing now: As of last night, my milk finally started coming in (exciting!). Before that, we were using the pump to at least get some stimulation and produce colostrum. I had very little progress, but knew not to expect much to come out. What did come out we fed to Peanut using a syringe (a suggestion given by one of the nurses). When that petered out, we switched to formula. But again, my milk has now come in, so we've stopped giving her formula and are feeding her exclusively breast milk. I'm not working right now, and don't plan on going back to school until June/July. I hope nothing changes too much when this happens.

Good googly moogly, my boobs hurt.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
Anyone have any running while pregnant experience?

I'm about 5 weeks today and am registered for a marathon in 4 more weeks, so when I would be 9 weeks. First pregnancy. I've been training since January and am a long time runner. I'm currently experiencing no pregnancy symptoms at all. The internet isn't very clear on this issue, mostly it just says "listen to your body". I would take it easy, drink lots of water. I ran 18 miles last weekend. Any thoughts?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
We've only asked our doctor 100 times about physical activity, and she's always said, you can keep doing what you're doing. So I think if your body is already used to it, and you're taking it easy, then you'll be fine.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

foxatee posted:

I didn't know this was a possibility.

This is basically what we're doing now: As of last night, my milk finally started coming in (exciting!). Before that, we were using the pump to at least get some stimulation and produce colostrum. I had very little progress, but knew not to expect much to come out. What did come out we fed to Peanut using a syringe (a suggestion given by one of the nurses). When that petered out, we switched to formula. But again, my milk has now come in, so we've stopped giving her formula and are feeding her exclusively breast milk. I'm not working right now, and don't plan on going back to school until June/July. I hope nothing changes too much when this happens.

Good googly moogly, my boobs hurt.

This sounds awesome, and good for you for sticking to it. Also good for you for syringe feeding to avoid nipple confusion. :)

limegrnxj, what Juanito said is what I was told too-- the level of activity your body's used to is fine to keep up, unless it starts to make you lightheaded or feel weird. Adding new exercise routines is generally not recommended unless your doctor okays it.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

limegrnxj posted:

Anyone have any running while pregnant experience?

I'm about 5 weeks today and am registered for a marathon in 4 more weeks, so when I would be 9 weeks. First pregnancy. I've been training since January and am a long time runner. I'm currently experiencing no pregnancy symptoms at all. The internet isn't very clear on this issue, mostly it just says "listen to your body". I would take it easy, drink lots of water. I ran 18 miles last weekend. Any thoughts?

Awesome! Based on what I've read, you should be in the clear. If you look around on the running forums, you'll find a few people who have run marathons when pregnant. Your body is used to running serious distances, just keep taking really good care of yourself and listening to your body. Maybe you'll get lucky and not suffer too much with 1st trimester hormonal symptoms and all that BS. Pregnancy symptoms might make it more comfortable switching to a half-marathon, though. I'm thinking mostly of all the morning sickness making it hard to eat right, seriously tender boobs, and intense exhaustion. I just hit 10 weeks, and I'm finally feeling well enough to get back into my semi-regular running groove.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
I made a quick call to my doctor and he said no. :( Apparently I can do what I'm doing now, but not increase anything. So I can run up to 18 miles, lol. Race director says I can't officially switch to the half, as it's sold out, but I can run the first half of the race and then have someone drive me to the finish line. Lame. But I'm trying to stay positive, it's only one race, I have a lifetime of other races I can prepare for later. With a jogging stroller! And I'm in the clear to do Ragnar in June still, so that's also good. Thanks ladies!

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
Just coming in to add that five week is quite early in terms of symptoms. It took me until about seven weeks before I started feeling sick and everything. So you may not even WANT to run that much if you're one of the unlucky ones who suffer from morning sickness (or sore boobs, or excessive tiredness). At nine weeks, all I could do was lie on the couch and sleep. :( And not jiggle around too much for fear of shaking all my stomach contents up.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

A few things:
1) My mom has apparently been giving Peanut a pacifier on a regular basis. Although I'm not completely against the use of a pacifier in times of great duress, I didn't want to use them to avoid nipple confusion. Now that Peanut's been thoroughly exposed to them, does anyone know if pacifiers such as the Binky brand actually work as advertised? Should I just start weaning her off them, or am I over-reacting?

2) How can I keep the babe from scratching her face? We have several pairs of mittens, but the mittens-- they do nothing! Currently I have her in one of her long-sleeved outfits with a pair of socks over her hands and cuffs. This seems to be working, but I can't dress her like this forever. Help!

3) Nursing pads. Any preferences?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

foxatee posted:

A few things:
1) My mom has apparently been giving Peanut a pacifier on a regular basis. Although I'm not completely against the use of a pacifier in times of great duress, I didn't want to use them to avoid nipple confusion. Now that Peanut's been thoroughly exposed to them, does anyone know if pacifiers such as the Binky brand actually work as advertised? Should I just start weaning her off them, or am I over-reacting?

2) How can I keep the babe from scratching her face? We have several pairs of mittens, but the mittens-- they do nothing! Currently I have her in one of her long-sleeved outfits with a pair of socks over her hands and cuffs. This seems to be working, but I can't dress her like this forever. Help!

1. If she's still latching fine for nursing, and you're not totally against pacis, I wouldn't worry. You have plenty of time later on to limit it to sleeping or duress only, etc.

2. I still can only trim Cecilia's nails when she is swaddled, with her hands poking out the bottom of the swaddle flaps (this is the velcro kind, the SwaddleMe). When she was teeny, I did it when she was asleep. Now that she doesn't sleep in the swaddle, I do it while she's awake and there is much displeasure vocalized.

3. I like the washable kind.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

foxatee posted:

A few things:

Julia was my only kid to use a pacifier and she really liked to suck and didn't want food sometimes so it worked out well. She hasn't used one in weeks and I didn't have to work to make her stop. She just stopped.

I just try to keep their nails super short to help with the scratching. They stop doing it pretty quickly in my experience.

I liked the Johnson's nursing pads best. The cloth ones I had leaked too much and were uncomfortably wet against me. Julia is almost 8 months old and I still leak if I don't wear them sometimes. Sucks.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

1) if you haven't noticed any feeding issues, she's fine, its up to you whether or not you're anti-paci or not. Just get the orthodontic ones. My kids never would take them, I would have welcomed them more than once!

2) baby socks! the little tube sock types with the knit ankle part that's nice and elastic stayed on like a dream, much better than those annoying-rear end mittens.

3) lansinoh brand were awesome and the only ones I would use. I would soak those things so thoroughly they would make a SPLAT noise when you dropped them on a table, and they never, ever ever leaked. The sticky stuff on the backs stayed put too.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

foxatee posted:

A few things:

1) I am an unashamed pacifier lover! Babies like to suck on things, and aren't always hungry, and you can eventually take a pacifier away (as opposed to their thumbs). Also, an orthodontic pacifier won't mess up their teeth (as opposed to their thumbs). Unless it's causing a problem, long live the pacifier.

2) Mittens are useless. Seconding baby socks. Also, outfits with the flaps that fold over their hands. But this stage will be over in a few weeks. She'll get more motor control and stop scratching so much.

3) Johnson's. Smooth under clothes, hella absorbent. I too can soak them through to the splatting point (yuk) and they hold up. I never use the sticky tabs though--just my bra/tank keeps them in place well enough.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Helanna posted:

Depends on where you are. You're in Ireland if I remember correctly? I don't know how it is there, but I'm sure your doctor knows :) In Norway where I am it's not done unless there's a reason to suspect you have it so I had never heard of it before reading this thread.

Lrigwoc
Aug 16, 2007
Reverse

Miss Shell posted:

Just coming in to add that five week is quite early in terms of symptoms. It took me until about seven weeks before I started feeling sick and everything. So you may not even WANT to run that much if you're one of the unlucky ones who suffer from morning sickness (or sore boobs, or excessive tiredness). At nine weeks, all I could do was lie on the couch and sleep. :( And not jiggle around too much for fear of shaking all my stomach contents up.

My wife has not had the sickness, thankfully, and she is going on seven weeks now. Hopefully she just won't be affected by it. She has, however, had the sore breasts and excessive tiredness. This is her first pregnancy, and she knew before taking the test that she was pregnant (which is a pretty common thing, apparently).

As for my "going on seven weeks," we're not sure if that's entirely accurate, because I am thinking conception was about 2 or 3 weeks after taking her last birth control pill. She didn't have a "normal" period after stopping the pill (was on it for eight years).

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Panne posted:

In Norway where I am it's not done unless there's a reason to suspect you have it so I had never heard of it before reading this thread.

Same here in the UK (scotland)

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Making the world a better place... with cookies!
3rding the Johnson's nursing pads. I tried the Lansinoh ones but they were uncomfortable for me, YMMV. Also it's easy to get thrush from the cloth ones if you don't care for them properly.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Thanks for all the replies.

Peanut is still struggling with latching properly; it's still a work in progress. I don't know if that makes a difference regarding potential problem with the pacifier.

Edit: stupid phone.

foxatee fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 27, 2011

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Anyone have any tips for mucus in our 3 week old's eye? We've been massaging the (where we think) tearduct is at every change and wiping away the mucus. The white of his eye is not red so we don't think it's an infection.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

MarshallX posted:

Anyone have any tips for mucus in our 3 week old's eye? We've been massaging the (where we think) tearduct is at every change and wiping away the mucus. The white of his eye is not red so we don't think it's an infection.

Sounds like it could be a blocked tear duct, and you're already doing a good thing for it by doing the massage. I'd wash it away with warm water on a very soft cloth rather than just wiping it though. If your wife is still breastfeeding at all, a bit of milk in it can help, too. If it doesn't clear up quickly, though, talk to your doctor.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

foxatee posted:

Thanks for all the replies.

Peanut is still struggling with latching properly; it's still a work in progress. I don't know if that makes a difference regarding potential problem with the pacifier.

Edit: stupid phone.

If she's having difficulty latching I would try to avoid the pacifier for right now honestly. If she's already kind of dependent on it for soothing, maybe just give it to her in those times when nothing else is working?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
All the talk of nursing pads is bringing out my secret shame: I'm only 22 weeks and I've started to leak. It's just a few drops so far, but I'm worried. Will it get worse the further along I get or will it just stay a few drops until the baby comes?

This is really embarrassing to ask. :blush:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Brennanite posted:

All the talk of nursing pads is bringing out my secret shame: I'm only 22 weeks and I've started to leak. It's just a few drops so far, but I'm worried. Will it get worse the further along I get or will it just stay a few drops until the baby comes?

Haha, don't be embarrassed ;) Boobs are awesome! I think it's different for everyone, some people only leak tiny drops, but a friend of mine used to soak her sheets with milk when pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Brennanite posted:

Every woman is different. I didn't leak anything until the week before my baby was born. Now, I have to wear pads constantly because my boob leak constantly now. If she hasn't eaten for a while, I could probably pull out a boob and put out a small fire.

And I agree with Oracle, the Lansinoh brand works wonderfully and doesn't leak.