Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Lady Galaga posted:

What is the purpose of the site because that price seems ridiculous when you can usually find a suitable one on themeforest for a fraction of the price.

Its an established food blog. We have been using Thesis, and there is no existing theme comparable to what we want to do as far as I know.

The site has several unique components to it:

1. We want our widget bar to show up inside a jscroll pane in a fixed column on the left.
2. We need a dynamic recipe index page
3. We need a specially formated print page
4. We need a custom archive page
5. We need some to know the scroll depth of each pageview (possible through analytics)
6. We need a flexible and well documented slider for our widget bar
7. We need a lazy load script for a single ad on the page

Want to design our site for us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

Lareous posted:

EDIT EDIT: Nevermind I fixed it, just added <link rel="image_src" href="IMAGE SOURCE" /> to the header.php.

I thought they stopped using those meta tags... Anyway, you can set a lot of properties on your website using Open Graph tags including the image, title, description, and more with specific properties depending on the type of content it is.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Bobx66 posted:

What is a good price on a custom wordpress theme?

I want something built from the ground up with some light jquery in it. There will be no graphic design element to this theme, it will be pure white on white functionality.

I just got quoted $1,500. Which includes 3 professional coders for 2.5 days and support for a year after the fact.

Any thoughts? I'm open to other offers.

For a custom theme designed from the ground up, with the specs you mentioned in your second post, I think you got a good deal.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Even 'no graphic design elements' requires some design. Make sure you get a PSD to review before they start coding.

60 hours (2.5 days * 3 developers) for coding and deploying a WordPress theme is well within a reasonable range for the time it should take, not including design time. The quality of the development work and what they promise to deliver (ex. customization on internal pages, widget bar support, browser compatibility, administrative tools, sitemap/analytics setup, etc.) are what will determine if it is a good deal or not. $25/hour for a freelancer is on the low end for rates.

hmm yes fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 22, 2011

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

486 posted:

I thought they stopped using those meta tags

Search engines have but apparently not Facebook. I didn't know about the Open Graph stuff though, I'll look into it, thanks!

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Lady Galaga posted:

What is the purpose of the site because that price seems ridiculous when you can usually find a suitable one on themeforest for a fraction of the price.

It's only 25 dollars per hour per coder. That is really cheap as far as these things go. For example at my company we will typically charge a blended rate of $215 an hour for project work.

Plus it sounds like he has very specific needs that an existing theme probably doesn't handle without customization so it's back to needing a coder anyway.

That seems pretty fair but I would definitely shop around a bit and make sure that these guys know what they're doing. You could always ask for references and talk to their other clients.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Any reason why it takes 3 people to program it?

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?
How many of you use Thesis? It looks very useful but it's a bit costly for personal sites.

Are there free alternatives or can everything in Thesis be achieved with a regular theme and a few plugins + legwork?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
The guy who makes Thesis is a douche and not well liked by the folks in the WordPress community. There are lots of frameworks to choose from, I say choose a free one.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?

Ned posted:

The guy who makes Thesis is a douche and not well liked by the folks in the WordPress community. There are lots of frameworks to choose from, I say choose a free one.

Did not know that! What makes him such a douche? Googling "thesis wordpress douche" didn't yield very good results...

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

micropenis posted:

Did not know that! What makes him such a douche? Googling "thesis wordpress douche" didn't yield very good results...

He's basically a guy who ripped off WP code and sold a non-GPL theme and claimed to be one of the 3 most important people in the world of WordPress. He's very full of himself and thinks his theme is amazing.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Ned posted:

I agree with this. If you're going to pay for a theme, at least go with one that embraces the WordPress GPL and gives you your money's worth.

In my local WordPress community pretty much everyone is using StudioPress and their base theme Genesis. The Genesis child theme Prose does give you some control over the look and feel from the admin panel.

Otherwise you might look around at other frameworks as well as simple themes.

micropenis posted:

Are there free alternatives or can everything in Thesis be achieved with a regular theme and a few plugins + legwork?

What specifically are you looking for?

Edit: here's some links on google if you want to read up on the controversy.

cocteau fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 24, 2011

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

I am having a little problem, I am using Arunja X on two wordpress blogs (self hosted) I set up one of them two weeks ago and the second one today. On the first one I see a list of categories across the top that link to everything tags as that category:

On the second one I just see "about" and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the categories up there:

Nevermind. I found it hidden away in a menu.

Bojanglesworth fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 26, 2011

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Not really sure if this is a specific WP question or what, but thought this might be the best thread to ask in.

Is there a way to access my blog by ip address?

I stopped using WP and moved over to Tumblr, and have the old WP blog's domain name redirect to the Tumblr blog.

But unfortunately I forgot to pull off all my old posts off the original WP blog and people have been inquiring about a few of them asking me to repost them.

How could I do this, or is there even a way?

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.

Alfalfa posted:

Not really sure if this is a specific WP question or what, but thought this might be the best thread to ask in.

Is there a way to access my blog by ip address?

I stopped using WP and moved over to Tumblr, and have the old WP blog's domain name redirect to the Tumblr blog.

But unfortunately I forgot to pull off all my old posts off the original WP blog and people have been inquiring about a few of them asking me to repost them.

How could I do this, or is there even a way?

OK, assuming that you are fine to do it all manually, and your old blog is still being hosted, then yes.

What you will need to do is edit your "hosts" file. On Linux/mac, it should be in /etc/hosts. For Windows, it should be C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

All you need to do is add a line like the following:

code:
127.0.0.1  example.com
Basically, it's <ip address> <domain name[s]>

This will force your computer to resolve that domain name to that IP address. In that case, the server will get the correct domain name, and be able to serve out the correct site to you. Once you've got all the content you want to get, simply delete (or comment out) the line in your hosts file, and you're back to looking up the address from DNS.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

bobthecheese posted:

OK, assuming that you are fine to do it all manually, and your old blog is still being hosted, then yes.

What you will need to do is edit your "hosts" file. On Linux/mac, it should be in /etc/hosts. For Windows, it should be C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

All you need to do is add a line like the following:

code:
127.0.0.1  example.com
Basically, it's <ip address> <domain name[s]>

This will force your computer to resolve that domain name to that IP address. In that case, the server will get the correct domain name, and be able to serve out the correct site to you. Once you've got all the content you want to get, simply delete (or comment out) the line in your hosts file, and you're back to looking up the address from DNS.

That sounds like it will work perfectly. One small issue though, the blog was a subdomain/subfolder in the general hosting account. How can I access that specific folder?

https://www.dclaiborne.com - is tumblr blog
https://www.genesis-ap.com/dclaiborne - shows where original wp blog was hosted
174.120.41.124 - IP address for genesis-ap.com

I just don't know how to point the hosts file specifically to the dclaiborne folder.

Ideas?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

I looked around a bit and asked a few people, including an ultra helpful goon, but I can't find an answer.

I am using Arjuna X and I would like to change the lovely generic header to a custom header. In the description of Arjuna X it says the header cannot be changed, but I imagine it can if you use css or whatever. I changed this to a URL of a file I have uploaded into "media" but nothing changed. Any ideas?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Can't you just replace the original image?

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I think he's trying to do this without FTP access.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.

Alfalfa posted:

That sounds like it will work perfectly. One small issue though, the blog was a subdomain/subfolder in the general hosting account. How can I access that specific folder?

https://www.dclaiborne.com - is tumblr blog
https://www.genesis-ap.com/dclaiborne - shows where original wp blog was hosted
174.120.41.124 - IP address for genesis-ap.com

I just don't know how to point the hosts file specifically to the dclaiborne folder.

Ideas?

The hosts file only works on domains (or 'hosts'). If the IP of the site that originally hosted your content hasn't changed, then the hosts file won't help. It's only really useful in the instance where you're migrating a URL from one server to another.

If genesis-ap.com has changed IP address, then you would need the old IP address. If it hasn't and you just can't access that folder anymore, then it's likely that whoever controls genesis-ap.com has removed the blog, and you would have to talk to them about re-instating it for you to move content.

If DClaiborne.com used to point to the same IP as genesis-ap.com, and used to point to that sub directory, then the hosts file may help.

I tried adding this into my hosts file, and it seems to point me at a wordpress site:

code:
174.120.41.124  dclaiborne.com [url]www.dclaiborne.com[/url]
fake edit: obviously don't leave the "[url]" tags there.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

I am not sure how, that's the problem.

cocteau posted:

I think he's trying to do this without FTP access.

I have ftp access if that helps.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Bojanglesworth posted:

I am not sure how, that's the problem.

I have ftp access if that helps.

The idea is to upload a new image (of the right dimensions) to the same folder where the original BG image is, with the same name... look for the theme folder under wp-content, and look for the images folder inside it). It's not ideal (I don't like to change the original theme files when possible) but it is a workaround if you can't figure out how the theme is calling the photo.

If you still can't sort it out, holler at me this weekend and I'll look at it again.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

the kawaiiest posted:

Man, no idea at all. My guess is that you're looking at a custom theme that has the slider and other features built in. I'm not a Wordpress expert or anything, though, so I could be wrong.

Just quoting her to point out that this goon is awesome; she helped me pick a new theme on themeforest, and walked me through it. Truly, a great goon.

Now, back to being an annoyance.

Since I have a music blog, I'm looking to add image galleries to some posts, like concert reviews. I might be wrong on this, but I didn't find this as an option in wordpress.
Something like this, at the bottom of a post:

Are there any plugins that do this?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Non Serviam posted:

Wordpress natively supports this. You just upload multiple images and post them as a gallery.

This is for wordpress.com but it's pretty much the same thing for self-hosted blogs.

(also, you're welcome :) )

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

As noted above; WP does this out of the box. However, NextGEN Gallery does it massively better, and there are slider, carousel and slideshow plugins for it too.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
Let's say I have a custom post type called Bike (created via Custom Post Type UI plugin, if that matters). Is there a way for all posts created of that type to automatically be added to a specific (say, Cycling) category? I don't want to display the categories widget, I just want it to be silently added.

Edit: Decided to whip up a plugin to do this.

SmirkingJack fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 4, 2011

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

KuruMonkey posted:

As noted above; WP does this out of the box. However, NextGEN Gallery does it massively better, and there are slider, carousel and slideshow plugins for it too.

Thanks for that! SO far, even though I'm very ignorant when it comes to wordpress, it works fine in both IE and Firefox; for some reason the gallery won't work in chrome.
Have you also had that problem?

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

Thanks for that! SO far, even though I'm very ignorant when it comes to wordpress, it works fine in both IE and Firefox; for some reason the gallery won't work in chrome.
Have you also had that problem?

Nope. I do tend to turn off the NextGEN thumbnail effect in the options, and use whatever I'm unsing on the main site. Also I don't use the NextGEN built in slideshow feature - if its either of those messing up, could be anything.

But the gallery I've just put together on a site in it seems fine in Chrome.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

bobthecheese posted:

The hosts file only works on domains (or 'hosts'). If the IP of the site that originally hosted your content hasn't changed, then the hosts file won't help. It's only really useful in the instance where you're migrating a URL from one server to another.

If genesis-ap.com has changed IP address, then you would need the old IP address. If it hasn't and you just can't access that folder anymore, then it's likely that whoever controls genesis-ap.com has removed the blog, and you would have to talk to them about re-instating it for you to move content.

If DClaiborne.com used to point to the same IP as genesis-ap.com, and used to point to that sub directory, then the hosts file may help.

I tried adding this into my hosts file, and it seems to point me at a wordpress site:

code:
174.120.41.124  dclaiborne.com [url]www.dclaiborne.com[/url]
fake edit: obviously don't leave the "[url]" tags there.

This worked perfectly. Thank you a ton.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
Is there a plugin that will integrate the SA forums emoticons?

I'm sure this is a bad idea, but what the hell.

Hen
Aug 22, 2006

I don't know if it exists but it would be easy to make a shortcode or a content filter that takes something like :emotecode:, and read in the smiley url from http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-emotecode.gif

Once you have that, you can check your uploads (or plugin) folder to see if you have it. If you do, display it, and if you don't you can download it from the URL, and then display it.

I'll do it if people pledge to make a donation to the Boys and Girls club I'm volunteering for.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I'm in the process of archiving an old blog and starting a new one in its place.

I've moved the old Wordpress installation to the new directory, intending to install a fresh Wordpress package in the root of the domain.

My question concerns the MySQL database(s). Can I continue to use the same MySQL database or should I create an entirely new one? I want to keep the two separate in that no data from the old blog should appear on the new one. I was just thinking whether re-using the database structure (if possible) was efficient use of system resources, or would it not matter.

I'm hosting it on Dreamhost, for what it matters.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
What wordpress plugin do people like that can handle a slideshow and lightbox? It doesn't need to do much more than automatically flick through images when it's not being touched but then when clicked load it up in a lightbox and let me scroll through them.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Maybe you guys can help me out, or even keep me above water. I'm a graphic designer, and I got hired at this insurance company to develop a website for them. No idea how the gently caress that worked out, but apparently they figured I'd just learn and while I love being paid to learn software, I can't poo poo rainbows and I don't even know how to tighten my spinchter properly enough, if you get the metaphor.

Boss wants this site made in wordpress. Since that's what my boss knows. She's... old. Middle aged, would be a good word I suppose. She drew up a mockup in a crummy knockoff of InDesign and wants it looking like this:

I'm developing it in Dreamweaver as a custom Wordpress theme using the How to Be A Rockstar Wordpress Designer tutorial e-book from Rockable, if you've heard of them at all, and here's where I'm at:

It's a start but basically I need to really figure out how to modify the tutorial I'm working with to the mockup my boss wants as best I can, and I was wondering if you guys knew how the hell I could get from Point A to Point B?

I'm figuring it's downloading some plugins and dropping them into the CSS code in the right containers? Am I hosed or am I hosed?

Jefferoo fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 11, 2011

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've got an existing site that needs an updateable news section - I don't really want to create/modify a full WP theme to look like the rest of the site for just this one little bit of use (essentially I'd like to embed it into a 'news' div that looks like part of the regular pages.)

The goal is to have something that outputs the wordpress content into something that looks like the existing HTML on the site, with the updates being limited to mostly text and adding images. I've already got wordpress set up on the server and just need to get it inlined into my existing pages. Obviously employees will have to go to the wordpress install to make the updates, but the aim is to make the resulting feed look seamless to the rest of the site. The site is in .htm at the moment without any php used (I think I can change that suffix though without ill effects if that's needed.)

Is there a recommended method for doing something like that via a feed? (or other options I haven't considered?)

I've been reading on this http://www.feedforall.com/php-documentation.htm but thought perhaps you guys knew a better way.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Jefferoo posted:

Maybe you guys can help me out, or even keep me above water. I'm a graphic designer, and I got hired at this insurance company to develop a website for them. No idea how the gently caress that worked out, but apparently they figured I'd just learn and while I love being paid to learn software, I can't poo poo rainbows and I don't even know how to tighten my spinchter properly enough, if you get the metaphor.

Boss wants this site made in wordpress. Since that's what my boss knows. She's... old. Middle aged, would be a good word I suppose. She drew up a mockup in a crummy knockoff of InDesign and wants it looking like this:

I'm developing it in Dreamweaver as a custom Wordpress theme using the How to Be A Rockstar Wordpress Designer tutorial e-book from Rockable, if you've heard of them at all, and here's where I'm at:

It's a start but basically I need to really figure out how to modify the tutorial I'm working with to the mockup my boss wants as best I can, and I was wondering if you guys knew how the hell I could get from Point A to Point B?

I'm figuring it's downloading some plugins and dropping them into the CSS code in the right containers? Am I hosed or am I hosed?

First of all, your site already looks better than the mockup. :)

What theme are you going to use? Or have you gotten that far? You might be able to find a magazine theme that more or less replicates that mockup, and that would make things a bit easier on you.

If you're stuck, shoot me a PM with your email or catch me on AIM and I might be able to recommend some themes or answer some questions along the way.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

cocteau posted:

First of all, your site already looks better than the mockup. :)

What theme are you going to use? Or have you gotten that far? You might be able to find a magazine theme that more or less replicates that mockup, and that would make things a bit easier on you.

If you're stuck, shoot me a PM with your email or catch me on AIM and I might be able to recommend some themes or answer some questions along the way.

Well, I have to make it look like the mockup, my boss refuses to see it any other way. Apparently with her vast range of knowledge in "marketing" means she knows how to design a website better than an actual designer.

Yeah, if you know of a theme that would help. I've been developing my own but I don't think she could really tell the difference if I just straight up install one on the site. I'll shoot you a PM/AIM.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Jefferoo posted:

Well, I have to make it look like the mockup, my boss refuses to see it any other way. Apparently with her vast range of knowledge in "marketing" means she knows how to design a website better than an actual designer.

Welcome to the fun world of web development. :(

This might help:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

quote:

Yeah, if you know of a theme that would help. I've been developing my own but I don't think she could really tell the difference if I just straight up install one on the site. I'll shoot you a PM/AIM.

Well, there won't be a theme that looks just like the mockup, but you might find one she likes BETTER.

I'm going to do some theme research for a client tonight, I'll try to come up with a few for you as well.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have a client who has a custom (read: lovely and old) CMS system that uses a very ugly URL structure currently:

http://www.clientsite.org/page.php?332

I have built them a Wordpress site, and they are insistent on having the old URLs - or at least the old URL structure redirect to search engine friendly ones. I recommended just using pretty URLs.

They are also going to be manually importing all of the old content into the new site, which is fine by me. They have about 600 pages or so, and they want to do it by hand (don't ask why) to "familiarize themselves with Wordpress".

Since they will be basically copy/pasting everything into the Wordpress editor, is there a plugin or way I can have the old content redirect to the same content with a pretty URL? Preferably something that I can put on the "Edit" page.

TL;DR - I need http://www.clientsite.org/page.php?332 to redirect to http://www.clientsite.org/category/content/

Not sure if this is an apache thing or a Wordpress thing. I was thinking of having them copy/pasting the URL to the old content into a custom field, so that I would at least have it associated with the new post URL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

cocteau posted:

Welcome to the fun world of web development. :(

This might help:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

Thanks. That helps a ton, at least I know I'm not alone.

quote:

Well, there won't be a theme that looks just like the mockup, but you might find one she likes BETTER.

I'm going to do some theme research for a client tonight, I'll try to come up with a few for you as well.

Possibly. I think she's too self-assured in her own marketing brilliance to consider anything else though.

If you could that would be awesome and you'd be my lifesaver. Thanks in advance a megaton.

/edit: Here's where I'm at. I need to figure out how to make all those boxes with arrows clickable links or hover-over menus with dropdown content. Hopefully I don't strangle my boss with how inane her ideals/requests are. It's like being a 17 year old coder on a Half Life 2 mod project way back when. Never did I think I'd be a slave of the ideas guy.

I hope the placeholders are obvious enough.

Jefferoo fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 12, 2011