Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Rufo posted:

http://www.namecheap.com

http://www.namecheap.com?aff=6237 if you're feeling generous (thanks)

Also coupon code ELEPHANTS for 88 cents off http://www.retailmenot.com/view/namecheap.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

More of a DNS question, but...

Let's say you have a bunch of websites, all on one server:

site1.com
site2.com
site3.com

And they all have NS records pointing to the same IP address, such as 11.22.33.44

For making it easier to move them around in the future, could you point them all to the same CNAME, like web.myserver.com?

Then when I move to a different host I can just change the A record for web.myserver.com instead of 50 or 100 individual records?

Pros/cons?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Bob Morales posted:

site1.com
site2.com
site3.com

And they all have NS records pointing to the same IP address, such as 11.22.33.44

For making it easier to move them around in the future, could you point them all to the same CNAME, like web.myserver.com?

Then when I move to a different host I can just change the A record for web.myserver.com instead of 50 or 100 individual records?

Pros/cons?

Another way would be to make each zone use the same zonefile

code:
zone "site1.com" {
        type master;  
        file "/etc/bind/db/common";
};

zone "site2.com" {
        type master;
};

zone "site3.com" {
        type master;
};
then only use @ in said zonefile, rather than explicit names

code:
@       14400   IN      A       12.34.56.78
@       14400   IN      TXT     "v=spf1 -all"
www     14400   IN      CNAME   @
Then changes only need to be made in one place.

transient
Apr 7, 2005
Looking for a recommendation for a good domain registrar who can handle asian domains specifically .jp, .co.kr, .tw, .com.tw.

I've used both Asia Registry and 101domains for this in the past and have bad experiences. I just want to transfer some domains and then not be hassled with fictitious renewal notifications or have to babysit the registrar through the process.

So far I'm thinking about trying marcaria, any thoughts?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

site1.com
site2.com
site3.com

Pros/cons?

isn't CNAMEing site.com against some form of RFC and would break mail handling and other inane things?

www is fine, apparently

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

isn't CNAMEing site.com against some form of RFC and would break mail handling and other inane things?

This is something that he'd have to watch out for, yes

MX and NS records cannot point to a CNAME

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rufo posted:

This is something that he'd have to watch out for, yes

MX and NS records cannot point to a CNAME

Correct, I should have said

dev.site1.com
staging.site1.com
dev.site2.com
staging.site2.com

etc

since site1.com is actually pointing to whatever the actual website is at the co-lo

hatersg2haet
Nov 10, 2010

by Fistgrrl
What's the hands down cheapest domain registrar?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

hatersg2haet posted:

What's the hands down cheapest domain registrar?

Not sure there really is a 'cheapest' (at least one that's reputable). Alot of it depends on which TLD you want. You can get .info's for like 2-3 bucks a year from most of the well known registrars. If you want some sleezy .cm site that'll run you closer to $100/yr etc.

Namecheap is worth looking out, ~10/yr for a .com. If you can get a coupon that's probably your cheapest bet. I'd steer well clear of Godaddy they're definietly not the cheapest and fairly terrible.

adonis_dna
Mar 20, 2011

by T. Finn
I'm having a weird DNS related problem. My domain is registered with GoDaddy and my hosting is done by SoftLayer.

The problem is that occasionally my domain name will not resolve unless it has "www" in front of it, even though I have an A record pointing "mydomain.com" to the correct IP address. What's weird is this will resolve itself in 10-15 minutes and "mydomain.com" will begin resolving correctly, instead of to a parked GoDaddy page.

The intermittence of the problem makes me think it is related to the TTL of one of my records. I've confirmed the issue on multiple computers/routers when it starts happening. It still resolves properly with "www.mydomain.com" but not "mydomain.com" Here is my zone record:

code:
$ORIGIN mydomain.com.
$TTL 300
@ IN SOA ns1.softlayer.com. root.mydomain.com. (
                       2011041401        ; Serial
                       3600              ; Refresh
                       300               ; Retry
                       604800            ; Expire
                       3600)             ; Minimum

@                      300      IN NS    ns1.softlayer.com.
@                      300      IN NS    ns2.softlayer.com.

@                      300      IN MX 10 mail.mydomain.com.

@                      300      IN A     184.172.45.xxx
ftp                    86400    IN A     184.172.45.xxx
mail                   86400    IN A     184.172.45.xxx
webmail                86400    IN A     184.172.45.xxx
www                    86400    IN A     184.172.45.xxx
Anyone know what might cause this issue? Should the TTL on that primary "@" record be greater than 300?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Why don't you make www a CNAME for mydomain.com and not set it up so it has its own A record?

Edit: Hell of those should be CNAMEs if the IP is the same as @'s.

adonis_dna
Mar 20, 2011

by T. Finn
I'm not sure why they were all made A records by default. That is the default record SoftLayer makes when you add your domain to their name server; I'll try changing them to CNAMEs.

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)
I've got four unused PositiveSSL certificates that I got free when I registered some domain names, but I have to use them by the end of May or they will disappear.

I don't need SSL on my sites, should I let them expire or is there anything else I can do with them?

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

ferretsrule posted:

I've got four unused PositiveSSL certificates that I got free when I registered some domain names, but I have to use them by the end of May or they will disappear.

I don't need SSL on my sites, should I let them expire or is there anything else I can do with them?

Chain them together and make one super SSL cert.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

ferretsrule posted:

put ssl on your sites anyway

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Man I hear you I have tons of the stupid things. I really hate them too. They're chained certs so I have to add in the drat ca-bundle to everything with ssl, not a big deal just annoying. Plus Commodo likes to get its root authority cracked (wow).

I pretty much use them only because namecheap gives them out like candy and its more of an aesthetic thing so I don't have Firefox yelling at me for a self-signed cert.

Maybe I should just drop the :10bux: on a RapidSSL or something.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Fun fact: the Namecheap SSL certs don't renew each other!

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I "run" a small phpbb3 board for my gaming buddies with about 50 members. Every time somebody new signs up they need to be approved by an admin. This means the board uses the mass email option to mail the same 5-6 people that somebody needs to be approved, and this only happens maybe a couple times a month, if that. I'm currently on free hosting, which is slow, and has also automatically shut down my site twice because they don't like the whole mass mail thing. I've disabled new registrations until I can get it sorted out, but I'm generally unhappy with them and am looking to move.

I'd like something cheap that allows mass email. I was looking at lithium hosting, but they haven't responded to my pre-sales question detailing this exact question. Can anyone recommend a cheap host that would allow me to use mass email?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

drcru posted:

Fun fact: the Namecheap SSL certs don't renew each other!
fun fact: startssl is free

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

MonkeyFit posted:

I "run" a small phpbb3 board for my gaming buddies with about 50 members. Every time somebody new signs up they need to be approved by an admin. This means the board uses the mass email option to mail the same 5-6 people that somebody needs to be approved, and this only happens maybe a couple times a month, if that. I'm currently on free hosting, which is slow, and has also automatically shut down my site twice because they don't like the whole mass mail thing. I've disabled new registrations until I can get it sorted out, but I'm generally unhappy with them and am looking to move.

I'd like something cheap that allows mass email. I was looking at lithium hosting, but they haven't responded to my pre-sales question detailing this exact question. Can anyone recommend a cheap host that would allow me to use mass email?

Mass mailing is allowed and you'd be fine with the $1.00 / month plan. I never received an email from you, feel free to post in the SA-Mart thread if you have questions.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Does anyone here have experience getting their Thunderbird email working with Namecheap.com's webmail? I can't get it to work! Their Live Support reps haven't been able to figure out what needs to be done, and the online resources are outdated since they're based on older versions of Thunderbird.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 25, 2011

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

melon cat posted:

namecheap webmail

I don't have any useful information about your question, but I do have a suggestion: google apps.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Comatoast posted:

google apps

A thousand times this

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Comatoast posted:

I don't have any useful information about your question, but I do have a suggestion: google apps.

Agreed. It's free too, can't go wrong!
http://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.
And google apps only takes a few minutes to setup if you know what you're doing.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
Are there any freeware programs for Windows that can monitor a website or URL and send an email if the URL fails to load?

The best I've seen is a program that will ping a host and email if it's down, but I need something that will actually check the HTTP status codes in case the host is up but the web server crashes or something.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Pingdom has a one-website free plan that can text you/email/twitter you if your host goes down.

It can check status codes, and check if certain text exists on the page.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

I was looking for something similar to this silence detector but for monitoring a website instead of audio, and I think I found it:

http://www.integrio.net/server-monitoring/uptime-scout.html

Ticks all the boxes for what I need.

But thanks for the suggestions, I might use one of the free online monitors just to have an off-site monitor for redundancy.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Megiddo posted:

I was looking for something similar to this silence detector but for monitoring a website instead of audio, and I think I found it:

http://www.integrio.net/server-monitoring/uptime-scout.html

Ticks all the boxes for what I need.

But thanks for the suggestions, I might use one of the free online monitors just to have an off-site monitor for redundancy.

I never though about looking for an app like this but will definately use this now! Thanks. What script do you use?

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

I never though about looking for an app like this but will definately use this now! Thanks. What script do you use?
Script? Like a batch script to run if the site's down?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Megiddo posted:

Script? Like a batch script to run if the site's down?

yeah I installed the app and when you add a server to monitor you get an "execute on server fail"

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

angryhampster posted:

I do appreciate the follow-up you've offered in the last 24 hours. However, when my initial request went unanswered for two whole days and there is no viable contact information publicly listed on the website, do you think my frustrations weren't warranted?

So apparently my troubles with Nixihost are not over with. This morning I was charged for another year of hosting with them AFTER I'd requested them to close my account. They responded yesterday with 'we can keep you on board for only six bucks, wanna stay?' Of course I responded no, please cancel the account.

Filing a dispute via paypal right now. The reason I'm posting publicly is because it seems to be the most effective way of getting through to anyone at Nixi.

If anyone on here expects good customer service, reliability, and speedy ticket responses, steer clear of nixihost.

e: They also charged me $10 more than my invoice stated. What a crock of poo poo.

angryhampster fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 26, 2011

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

angryhampster posted:

So apparently my troubles with Nixihost are not over with. This morning I was charged for another year of hosting with them AFTER I'd requested them to close my account. They responded yesterday with 'we can keep you on board for only six bucks, wanna stay?' Of course I responded no, please cancel the account.

Filing a dispute via paypal right now. The reason I'm posting publicly is because it seems to be the most effective way of getting through to anyone at Nixi.

If anyone on here expects good customer service, reliability, and speedy ticket responses, steer clear of nixihost.

e: They also charged me $10 more than my invoice stated. What a crock of poo poo.

I'm on my mobile so I can't take care of your ticket right this second but I want to clear some things up.

1. We've had major downtime one time in the last year when we actually had to move severs to a better datacenter. Before that we had never had site wide downtime.

2. We didn't charge you anything, making impossible for us to overcharge you. When you signed up for an account with us you setup a PayPal subscription which will automatically send us money every year. What happened was you didn't cancel the PayPal subscription and sent us money anyway. This was explained clearly in the signup process and you can manage your PayPal subscription directly through your PayPal account. Your subscription can be canceled at literally any time without any interaction with us.

3. You reversed the PayPal subscription without letting us refund it to you, dragging out the process and locking up the payment you sent to us. If you go cancel the reversal I'll be happy to give you a full refund.

4. The last time I replied to your tickets I told you specifically to reply back to me so I could take care of your account closure. Instead you sent in a general support ticket which get routed to the next free person in queue. Despite this your tickets have been answered within a reasonable time frame every time you have contacted us.

It's completely unnecessary to come on here and slander our business because you feel you have been wronged. I've tried multiple times to work with you directly but I feel you would rather complain and be upset and make things up on here than take any help from me.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
Is there a good free host?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Seven Round Things posted:

You get what you pay for. What do you need? Befriend a goon or someone on IRC and maybe they'll give you a shell or some web space or if you suck a great cock, a small VPS.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there really any worry on running WordPress and Joomla! on our production servers, full of our production apps and data (no credit card numbers or things like that, but nonetheless it's data)?

We're re-doing our site as a Joomla! site, and instead of throwing it on a VPS or something they want to throw it on the 'main server'. I suggested we put it on it's own server, the rest of the team came back with "It's already running Wordpress and Interspire, what's the difference?"

Am I coming across as a paranoid freak or am I the only person with half a brain? I know Joomla and WP aren't rinky-dink CMSes but it's still not bright to stick it on a server that runs your core business production apps, right?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Seven Round Things posted:

What do you need it for, and what service can you provide in exchange? :)

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Bob Morales posted:

Am I coming across as a paranoid freak or am I the only person with half a brain?

I don't know about Joomla but I know there are massive gaping security holes on Wordpress when installed through Fantastico... Or manually if you don't set it up right... For my own piece of mind I would go your route. Who rear end is it on the line?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Is there really any worry on running WordPress and Joomla! on our production servers, full of our production apps and data (no credit card numbers or things like that, but nonetheless it's data)?

We're re-doing our site as a Joomla! site, and instead of throwing it on a VPS or something they want to throw it on the 'main server'. I suggested we put it on it's own server, the rest of the team came back with "It's already running Wordpress and Interspire, what's the difference?"

Am I coming across as a paranoid freak or am I the only person with half a brain? I know Joomla and WP aren't rinky-dink CMSes but it's still not bright to stick it on a server that runs your core business production apps, right?

Jail them somehow, don't run as same permissions or anything if you really have to. Considering both applications' track records, I wouldn't run them on the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world

orphean posted:

Why don't you make www a CNAME for mydomain.com and not set it up so it has its own A record?

Edit: Hell of those should be CNAMEs if the IP is the same as @'s.

CNAMES are not a convenience feature to avoid typing in IPs.