Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
When I'm in goal I've noticed that I actually pick up the puck quicker off of a white stick. There's something about black tape on the follow through that keeps a little bit of my attention, almost like my brain needs a split-second to decide which of the two diverging black objects is the puck and tracks both until I've figured it out.

That said, I still switch tape colors after losses when skating out :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Has anybody used the Reebok Edge hockey socks? Are they any better than traditional knit socks?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Yea I figured out quick that black tape on top sucks. How often do you guys re-tape your blades?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

^^ I retape when the tape+wax gets torn up enough to either

a) effect the contact of the puck on the blade (not a relatively smooth surface).
b) wears off the bottom of the blade, putting the bottom of the blade in direct contact with the ice.

That usually winds up being every four or five games/stick-and-pucks/drop-ins.

coldwind posted:

Maybe not. I dunno, the palms on all my gloves look pretty gross.

You do realize you keep your sweaty hand in there for an hour or so every game, right? It ain't the ink that makes hockey gear gross ;)

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

Fingers McGee posted:

Yea I figured out quick that black tape on top sucks. How often do you guys re-tape your blades?

I overlap to get a double layer. I'll let the bottom wear through as my current blade can stand up to ice contact and retape once I start to get big gashes in the front. Usually a month or two playing once or twice a week.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Anyone have good wax recommendations?

I spray painted my stick black one time and scored twice the next game so I spray paint my blades now:v:

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

poser posted:

Anyone have good wax recommendations?

Go to TJ Maxx and buy a cheap-o candle. Seriously.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

shyguy posted:

Has anybody used the Reebok Edge hockey socks? Are they any better than traditional knit socks?

I just bought new socks a few weeks ago before my clinic started, my ccm knit socks that were almost a year old were chewed all to hell. I gave the Reeboks a long hard look thinking they would be more durable. But I thought they might be too long for one, and I didn't like the symbol on the front. Also I wasn't sure if they were looked down on since I didn't remember seeing anyone ever wearing them. Ive noticed funny things about people and gear. Guys wearing socks so holy they are just about threads, or just wearing sweat pants. They are only $12 locally so I thought it was odd. Ive seen some ragged gear, one guys cage was so rusted I think it might shatter if a puck hit it.

Also for being stuck on D forever after being put there in last years clinic, I made a transition to fwd this year. I even signed up as a D man, but I think my passing abilities are wasted playing D. I had an offensive explosion in the last 2 sessions. Although I still didn't score any myself, hitting 3 posts instead.

Fingat fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 22, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I did just one stick and puck session and one pickup game with black tape up top and it got the palms all marked up so I switched to white. I've been using black tape on the blade but I don't think I really care.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fingers McGee posted:

Also for being stuck on D forever after being put there in last years clinic, I made a transition to fwd this year. I even signed up as a D man, but I think my passing abilities are wasted playing D. I had an offensive explosion in the last 2 sessions. Although I still didn't score any myself, hitting 3 posts instead.

Wait, what? The best passers on the team should be the defenseman.

Green Submarine posted:

Go to TJ Maxx and buy a cheap-o candle. Seriously.

QFT.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Dangerllama posted:

^^ I retape when the tape+wax gets torn up enough to either

a) effect the contact of the puck on the blade (not a relatively smooth surface).
b) wears off the bottom of the blade, putting the bottom of the blade in direct contact with the ice.

That usually winds up being every four or five games/stick-and-pucks/drop-ins.

You do realize you keep your sweaty hand in there for an hour or so every game, right? It ain't the ink that makes hockey gear gross ;)
Oh, the sweat makes it smell, for sure. Doesn't discolor it though. Got a brand new pair of gloves a little bit ago and they're still clean white. Also, I assume you're being a bit facetious.

I don't know if I read it here (I think I did), but man, taking a blowdryer to the wax on your stick is awesome.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
There has been exactly one time in my goalie career where I actually misjudged a puck because I lost it on black tape. It freaked me out, but never happened again that I've noticed.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
poser: I'm playing down in EEE this season with my buddy. Trying to learn how to play D and improve my defensive game. Plus I'm going to miss a bunch of time this summer and I figure a EEE team can survive without me. I'll probably head up to E in the winter.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

ManicJason posted:

There has been exactly one time in my goalie career where I actually misjudged a puck because I lost it on black tape. It freaked me out, but never happened again that I've noticed.
"That you've noticed" is the key word there. I've heard that the longer your eye rests on the puck before it's fired, the quicker you'll be able to react and make the save. If it's taking you a half-second to pick up the puck against the black backdrop of the tape, it could negatively effect your reaction time.

Of course, there really isn't an easy way to measure this, so it's all speculation.

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Another dimension, new galaxy
I just got my Yellow Superfeet inserts last week, and done two skating lessons with them in. Two lessons, about an hour each, and my feet still hurt the same way they did before. The inside of my feet, along the curve of my feet ache like hell whenever I do any kind of S cut or maneuver along the same.

Is it just getting used to using that kind of muscle? Or maybe the insoles don't make enough difference and I need a different kind. I'm giving the yellow superfeet a time to break in, but in the lessons my feet absolutely kill me by the end from all the exercises in my lessons.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

That has happened to me because the outside sides of my feet bulge out freakishly.

I'd guess one of two things:

Your skates might be too narrow. If you can identify pressure points on the side of your foot, mark them and have a skate shop punch them out.

It can also happen if you over-tighten your laces across the top of your foot. You don't want your feet floating, but you don't want them pinched, either. Try loosening the tension around the 5th or 6th eyelet.

[Edit:] Wait, you're not talking about your arches, are you? Further up in your foot?

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

coldwind posted:

"That you've noticed" is the key word there. I've heard that the longer your eye rests on the puck before it's fired, the quicker you'll be able to react and make the save. If it's taking you a half-second to pick up the puck against the black backdrop of the tape, it could negatively effect your reaction time.

Of course, there really isn't an easy way to measure this, so it's all speculation.

The thing is that I noticed the puck disappeared before the dude even shot it. I'd think that if I had slightly misjudged a puck because of black tape 100 times, I'd have noticed at least 20 times before a shot. I think it was really just one freak thing from a specific angle.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

ManicJason posted:

The thing is that I noticed the puck disappeared before the dude even shot it. I'd think that if I had slightly misjudged a puck because of black tape 100 times, I'd have noticed at least 20 times before a shot. I think it was really just one freak thing from a specific angle.
I wasn't referring to the specific case when you misjudge the puck. I'm talking about a level that you don't notice.

Let's say it takes you an extra half-second to find the puck. That's an extra half-second of "quiet eye" period that you've lost and accordingly, your reaction to the puck will be slower. You aren't going to say to yourself "drat, it took me an extra half-second to find that puck on that player's black tape." You're going to say "drat, that's in the net."

Basically, I'm saying that it could be messing with your head in such a subtle way (but substantial) that you have no idea it's messing with your head.

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Another dimension, new galaxy

Green Submarine posted:

That has happened to me because the outside sides of my feet bulge out freakishly.

Your skates might be too narrow. If you can identify pressure points on the side of your foot, mark them and have a skate shop punch them out.

It can also happen if you over-tighten your laces across the top of your foot. You don't want your feet floating, but you don't want them pinched, either. Try loosening the tension around the 5th or 6th eyelet.

[Edit:] Wait, you're not talking about your arches, are you? Further up in your foot?

It's the entire side of my feet, on the inside edge so to speak. Just skating forward there is no issue, but for the lessons I am taking everything revolves around doing S cuts forward and backwards and it's hurting pretty bad. I'll try to loosen up the middle of my skates some when I go to Rec Skate this weekend.

I'm using cheap Bauer X-15s I got when I was first learning how to skate, so it's probably not even worth cutting out the pressure points.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Green Submarine posted:

I've been dealing with this on the skates I bought back in March. I thought I had them fitting well for a few weeks, but they've started hurting again and it seems to be getting worse.. not sure if there's a real problem developing, or my constant attempts to fix it is what's making it worse. Sometimes I can get everything just right, laces not too lose, not too tight.. there's a middle spot where the pain fades enough that I can get a full skate in. But I shouldn't have to be putting up with this.

I got an appointment scheduled with a podiatrist in a week or so, just to make sure nothing's going wrong.

But from what I can tell, the footbed is just too narrow for my foot. Kind of like a bowl, the outside edges of my foot get pushed upward while the middle part of my foot is resting on the sole. Skates feel fine when I'm trying them on at home, but 10 minutes on the ice and I'm in agony. :iiam:

Seriously thinking I'm gonna have to ebay these, and find some different skates. Supposedly Graf makes good skates for fat feet, anyone got an opinion on them?

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

The width of Grafs varies widely (haha) from model to model. They're generally great skates, but they're expensive and never get discounted much, even the multi-year-old models. If you decide to go that route, try some on and find out which model fits you better before pulling the trigger online.

Also, their chassis is terrible. If you get Grafs, take it off and slap a Tuuk or an Externo on there.

CCMs historically have made good skates for wide feet. The newer line is a bit more similar to the Bauers, but getting the E width would be a good option. I'd recommend trying to find some late-model Tacks that never made it off the shelves. They're getting scarcer and scarcer these days, but for us wide-footed freaks, they were the best skates around and it's a drat shame they discontinued them.

If you get CCMs and you're used to Bauers, you might have to get the blade re-rockered. I'm not sure if this is still the case (something to ask) but CCM used to issue their skates with an 11" rocker as opposed to Bauer's 9" default. If you're used to the 9" rocker it might feel like you can't turn.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

poser: I'm playing down in EEE this season with my buddy. Trying to learn how to play D and improve my defensive game. Plus I'm going to miss a bunch of time this summer and I figure a EEE team can survive without me. I'll probably head up to your DD team in the winter.

Awesome:cool:

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Awesome:cool:

:lol: Keep me updated on how you guys do this summer. What's your team name?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

:lol: Keep me updated on how you guys do this summer. What's your team name?

HELLAcopters is my team in DD and I'm still playing on FNF but we moved up to DDDDD because of that ringer rule.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Green Submarine posted:

The width of Grafs varies widely (haha) from model to model. They're generally great skates, but they're expensive and never get discounted much, even the multi-year-old models. If you decide to go that route, try some on and find out which model fits you better before pulling the trigger online.

I gotta say though, I like Graf's setup. They base their tiers more on foot shape than materials. Though it is a little disappointing that the wide foot models don't show up until the higher tiers.

Goddamn their prices. :gonk:

I think I just need to sit on this for a week or two, I'm super frustrated at my skates and have the feeling I'll buy anything if it fits if I were to go out now.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Grafs are expensive but they're worth it. My pair cost me a bit over $400 US back in 2001, and from the minute I put them on, I never had so much as a sore spot or a blister on my feet. There was literally zero break-in time. I'll probably be buried in them.

I do believe though that I did get them baked. Make sure to get that done if they still do that.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 22, 2011

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I tape my stick with a strip on the bottom, then from near toe to near heel so that the bottom edge essentially has two layers of tape and is protected more.

When waxing, I just use a bar of sex wax (durr hurr the name) its soft enough so that when you put it on, you dont really have to press too hard. Heres my pro trick - go into the locker room bathroom and use the electric hand dryer to further soften the wax and then press it in with your hands going with the direction of the tape. My sticks are basically sealed and NEVER get wet with snow build up or soaking penetration. They also hold the puck very well. Im always amazed by people who don't wax their blades. I usually get about 10 hours worth of play before I consider re taping.

As far as color goes, I always use black tape for the blade and white for the top. The white keeps your gloves cleaner looking and the black on bottom hides the puck.

When it comes to socks the Reebok edge socks are nice, quite a bit thinner and seem to breathe pretty easily. Knit socks seem to keep me hot and if they get wet they feel heavier. The edge socks certainly dont have the durability factor that knit socks do though. Nearly everyone who uses them for drop in has holes worn in the knees. Its comparable to wearing a performance shirt vs wearing a sweater on your legs.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I've got a pair of Graf 502's and fairly wide feet and the break in on them made me want to cut my feet off. At least when I would bring them back for sharpening the skate guys would try to knock out any pressure points that where bothering me.

They're fantastic now on the other hand, I don't have a single complaint about them, other then that I have to check the bolts on blade holders every 4-5 games to make sure they haven't worked them selves loose.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Petit.Conan posted:

They're fantastic now on the other hand, I don't have a single complaint about them, other then that I have to check the bolts on blade holders every 4-5 games to make sure they haven't worked them selves loose.

Thread lock.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

I reiterate my advice to swap out the shithouse Graf chassis with something that works.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 23, 2011

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
Black tape on the blade and white on the knob. My gloves are clean and clear of stick-i-tude.

My stick blades are wood grain/natural colored and I wrap black tape the mid-heel and the toe. I leave a small gap (2-3 wraps worth of tape) between. I play goalie in my inline league and I know I have an easier time tracking a puck against white tape. I figure the worst thing for the opposing goalie to pick up would be a black puck against two puck sized dark objects, maybe not knowing exactly where it is in the split second before the shot.

Perhaps I think way too much about it. It's a fine line between clever and stupid.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

oddIXIbbo posted:

Black tape on the blade and white on the knob. My gloves are clean and clear of stick-i-tude.

My stick blades are wood grain/natural colored and I wrap black tape the mid-heel and the toe. I leave a small gap (2-3 wraps worth of tape) between. I play goalie in my inline league and I know I have an easier time tracking a puck against white tape. I figure the worst thing for the opposing goalie to pick up would be a black puck against two puck sized dark objects, maybe not knowing exactly where it is in the split second before the shot.

Perhaps I think way too much about it. It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Ha ha...this might just be a good idea.

Also, you must really like that movie, because this is the second time I've seen you reference it in a hockey context in, like, the last month.

A few thoughts on learning to shoot:
I have a lot of truly beginning hockey friends who, at the moment, have some very impotent shots. Really, very awkward looking. Most of them call me a bad teacher because I learned/figured out how to do things when I was young and they come naturally now and thus I don't think about them and don't have many good tips for them.

Anyways, most of the normal tips don't work for these people as they aren't tips designed to truly correct fundamental errors in shot technique. So, I got to watching them shoot and came up with some problems I think I see in their shooting and ways to fix them.

1. Leaving the top hand near the thigh through the shot. When this happens, the stick tends to rotate around the hip.
Solution/tip/mantra: Keep the hands in front/lead with the hands/?

2. Not rotating the hips to square up with the intended direction of the shot.
Solution/tip/mantra: Do that.

Actually, now I'm looking at examples of NHL professionals/other people and a lot of them don't seem to do jive with my hints/tips. In particular, slapshots tend to end with the hips still pointed away, but the rest of the body rotated at a higher point and just the shoulders square with the direction of the shot. But only temporarily before rotating right past. WTF, am I just shooting all messed up? I seem to shoot decently enough, man, I don't know WTF. Guess I just need to take a camera to the ice one day...

Also, I once had a guy tell me that to take a slapshot, I should rotate my bottom hand around the stick so that the thumb is on the backhand wide part of the shaft. I tried it, and I admit it got me to lift my slapshot when previously I couldn't, but it was not nice to my thumb. This tip did end up helping my shot out immensely when I thought about what it forced me to do (point the blade face down-ish through the shot) and just focused on that instead. Does anybody out there do this? Has anybody heard it before?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
My ice game last night.. we had 9 skaters and 6 of them were former roller players playing their first ever ice game. We got smoked 12-4 but it was pretty fun watching everyone fall all over the place.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Oh god, my lunch-league team :negative:

If you enjoy literally just giving up on the play after you've lost a race to the puck, and taking 3+ minute shifts, please consider signing up for my team.

I swear I don't care if a team goes 0-10. Just put forth some loving :effort:

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

My ice game last night.. we had 9 skaters and 6 of them were former roller players playing their first ever ice game. We got smoked 12-4 but it was pretty fun watching everyone fall all over the place.

How many offside calls? How many guys sitting at center waiting for the home run pass?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

How many offside calls? How many guys sitting at center waiting for the home run pass?

Only two offsides!

The wingers played along the boards(correctly) in the D zone but the D always cleared it to the center(right to the other team) looking for the home run pass.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Only two offsides!

The wingers played along the boards(correctly) in the D zone but the D always cleared it to the center(right to the other team) looking for the home run pass.

Last season I had 2 roller guys, and one of them played LW on my line occasionally. I got so frustrated because he would never play positional hockey. He'd be all over the place and it drove me bonkers. Not to mention how many times he'd throw us offside on a rush up the ice. He did it once on a 3 on 1 and the center for our line threw a fit and yelled at him. I told him to come to a Gretzky hour sometime and we'd work on that, but he never did. Our captain finally moved him down to the third line with the other 2 degenerates. Figure we should keep them all on one line rather than gently caress up the other lines.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

poser posted:

This kills me. Not throwing it up the middle is the cardinal rule of defense. I get so pissed when I see guys make that play, because it's not about a lack of skill but a lack of decision making.

That, and wrapping it up the boards. Now that I'm looking for it, you'd be amazed at how often a D-man wrapping the puck around the boards results in a turn-over. Probably ~60% of the time at least. Tape-to-tape pass, get it out of the zone off the glass, or eat it.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

I wasn't referring to the specific case when you misjudge the puck. I'm talking about a level that you don't notice.

Let's say it takes you an extra half-second to find the puck. That's an extra half-second of "quiet eye" period that you've lost and accordingly, your reaction to the puck will be slower. You aren't going to say to yourself "drat, it took me an extra half-second to find that puck on that player's black tape." You're going to say "drat, that's in the net."

Basically, I'm saying that it could be messing with your head in such a subtle way (but substantial) that you have no idea it's messing with your head.

This is kind of like the argument that white pads make it harder for shooters to find gaps or that black pads get you quicker whistles. Tape color probably has some sort of effect on the goalie's ability to track pucks off of the stick, but I'd be surprised if the effect was statistically significant. I could see how a reflective surface on the stick blade could distract your eye, but when I'm focusing on watching the puck, I don't think that I've ever really consciously noticed the color of the tape on the shooters blade. The puck is typically in front of the blade and the only important information about the blade is its angle and what part of the blade the puck the shot comes off of.

One thing that I will say works are white pucks. They are very difficult to track and they have a tendency to appear suddenly and give you very little time to react. I really like using them for training, though it's been quite a while since I last did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

This is kind of like the argument that white pads make it harder for shooters to find gaps or that black pads get you quicker whistles. Tape color probably has some sort of effect on the goalie's ability to track pucks off of the stick, but I'd be surprised if the effect was statistically significant. I could see how a reflective surface on the stick blade could distract your eye, but when I'm focusing on watching the puck, I don't think that I've ever really consciously noticed the color of the tape on the shooters blade. The puck is typically in front of the blade and the only important information about the blade is its angle and what part of the blade the puck the shot comes off of.

One thing that I will say works are white pucks. They are very difficult to track and they have a tendency to appear suddenly and give you very little time to react. I really like using them for training, though it's been quite a while since I last did that.
See, it's brought up that "consciously," it's never a problem. But you can't rule out that it is causing some real and effective subconscious problems for you.

I would also be surprised if the effect was statistically significant, but that doesn't mean it isn't significant to performance. Statistical significance is separate from real life significance. Plus, statistical significance applies only to a set of data in an experiment, not to a real life effect. Do something enough, and you can get statistical significance. What's important is that nobody's done the work, so who are we to say it's not significant in any way?

The position of the puck and the what part of the blade the puck is shot from are important, but are hardly the only important information. Research suggests that giving your eye more time to settle and focus on the puck is very important, too. "Quiet Eye," they call it. If the black-on-black motif delays your ability to focus on the puck (quite feasible) after puck movement or if the player holds the puck behind his blade, it can impact your performance.

Just because you aren't conscious of black tape's potential effect on goaltender performance doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And just because the effect may be small doesn't mean it isn't putting pucks behind you.

Not an exhaustive lit review by any means, but here's this on the quiet eye:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=goalie+quiet+eye&nfpr=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=ws