Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Once you get past 19mm you are looking at 1/2 drive sockets. Below 10mm you are going to be using 1/4 drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
You can find > 19mm and < 10mm sockets in 3/8" drive, but I've never seen them as part of a set. My Craftsman set did include 8mm and 9mm, but anything outside that you'll have to buy individually.

I will agree with PBCrunch though, I can't really think of many times I've wanted anything outside of 10-17mm in a 3/8". Bigger usually means more torque than I can get from a 3/8" ratchet, and smaller than 8mm and you run a chance of putting too much torque into the fastener/threads.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
A little overlap is good so you don't have to change ratchet/extension sets for one or two bolts. I think my Snap-On 3/8 set goes to 21mm, i'd have to look.

On the subject of Snap-On, do you think the tool truck would swap a blow gun from the 1950s that is leaking? The roll mark is still clearly visible and I doubt a seal set is still made.

I installed a Matco supplied one button air chuck last night. Jam tool in>click. Push button, tool shoots out. It's great.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

PitViper posted:

You can find > 19mm and < 10mm sockets in 3/8" drive, but I've never seen them as part of a set. My Craftsman set did include 8mm and 9mm, but anything outside that you'll have to buy individually.

I will agree with PBCrunch though, I can't really think of many times I've wanted anything outside of 10-17mm in a 3/8". Bigger usually means more torque than I can get from a 3/8" ratchet, and smaller than 8mm and you run a chance of putting too much torque into the fastener/threads.

Bigger than 19mm bring more torque, smaller than 10mm it is better to use 1/4 drive so you're not slinging around a heavy ratchet.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Skyssx posted:

On the subject of Snap-On, do you think the tool truck would swap a blow gun from the 1950s that is leaking? The roll mark is still clearly visible and I doubt a seal set is still made.

This really depends on how much you buy off his truck. I heard your warranty is only as good as your relationship with the Snap-On guy.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

Once you get past 19mm you are looking at 1/2 drive sockets. Below 10mm you are going to be using 1/4 drive.

I kind of figured that out in my head yesterday as I was thinking about what I would be doing with 3/8" drive sockets. Thanks for the reminder.

Diesel_Doc
Sep 25, 2010

He is real Super Sand

Sockington posted:

This really depends on how much you buy off his truck. I heard your warranty is only as good as your relationship with the Snap-On guy.

The last Snap-On tool I had to get swapped out was a 18" long 1/2" drive breaker bar that was given to me by my father and was most likely older than me (I'm 25). The head had been twisted nearly off because I used a cheater pipe. The head is removable from the actual bar and his intent was to replace only this part. When he received the part and went to put it in, he could not get the retaining bolt out of the bar. He ended up replacing the entire breaker bar for free.

I was pretty amazed that he was willing to do this. He was relatively new to the route and had a long list of lovely and undependable tool guys preceding him. I didn't know anyone that had bought anything from him and a few people had even told him not to come back to their shops. I guess he was trying to restore a little faith in the Snap-On name.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm going to browse through this thread to look for specific suggestions but I'd love to get a few quick recommendations for general tools needed just for performing general maintenance (oil changes, fluid refills, typical 15k-30k checks). Specifically parts recommended on Amazon.com (Unless there are better deals going on elsewhere).

Considering whether I should use purchase a Hydraulic Jack and Jackstands or use ramps. I think I'd feel a bit safer under jackstands/blocks.

Edit: Probably going to grab this racing jack:
http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-pump-15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-jack-68053-html-7814.html

I'm between these two jack-stands.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/jack-stands/3-ton-heavy-duty-jack-stands-38846.html

vs

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00026Z3E0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Currently debating over brands for general hand tools (Wrenches, Socket Wrenches, etc). Any advice?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 12, 2011

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
As long as I am working in the area the car would roll AWAY from I would feel much safer with ramps and wheel chocks than jack stands. That said while ramps are nice it makes it difficult to remove a tire to plug it or inspect your brakes. Get a jack and jack stands and get ramps for quick stuff like repairing underbody plastics and oil changes.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Get big wheel chocks too--I like these harbor freight ones: http://www.harborfreight.com/solid-rubber-wheel-chock-96479.html

mrglynis
Mar 10, 2009

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I'm going to browse through this thread to look for specific suggestions but I'd love to get a few quick recommendations for general tools needed just for performing general maintenance (oil changes, fluid refills, typical 15k-30k checks). Specifically parts recommended on Amazon.com (Unless there are better deals going on elsewhere).

Considering whether I should use purchase a Hydraulic Jack and Jackstands or use ramps. I think I'd feel a bit safer under jackstands/blocks.

Edit: Probably going to grab this racing jack:
http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-pump-15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-jack-68053-html-7814.html

I'm between these two jack-stands.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/jack-stands/3-ton-heavy-duty-jack-stands-38846.html

vs

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00026Z3E0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Currently debating over brands for general hand tools (Wrenches, Socket Wrenches, etc). Any advice?

I wouldn't get that jack for one reason. The Max lift height is less that 15". I've got a similar model. And while it functions fine, 15" is not very high. I would go for one that has a ~20" lift. Trust me the extra 5" will make a large difference.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Orange_Lazarus posted:

How much do you want to spend?

Also recommending this guy if you don't have a giant gently caress off air compressor.

http://www.harborfreight.com/interests/automotive/12-electric-impact-wrench-68099.html

Get some impact sockets, and enjoy your now free but, your labor tire rotations.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm expecting to only spend between two and three hundred dollars however; how much I'm willing to spend really depends on the cost/benefit. I'd like to buy tools that I will never have to replace or would at least be covered under a life-time warranty if they managed to break. Right now I only need tools that are necessary for general maintenance, oil changes and whatever else I can manage. Overall, I'd like to be able to self-complete all or most of the scheduled maintenance for my 2009 Hyundai Sonata on my own.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Buy a good 100+ piece tool set from Craftsman, plus a set of combination wrenches. Thats a good way to get started, at least thats how I did. Now I just piece together what I need. Harbor Freight hand tools are covered for life, and for the most part not complete poo poo for the average joe.

Snap on, Matco, and the same ilk stuff is awesome but its just to expensive for the guy who doesn't do it for a living and does his own oil change and other projects.

Something like this would be a great way to get started.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00935154000P

It has a good variety of tools and will get you started, then just piece together what you need.

Though, I like the HF torque wrench, surprisingly, it's accurate and usually can be had for 20 bucks or less.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Also recommending this guy if you don't have a giant gently caress off air compressor.

http://www.harborfreight.com/interests/automotive/12-electric-impact-wrench-68099.html

Get some impact sockets, and enjoy your now free but, your labor tire rotations.

For what it's worth, I've just got 21-gallon and 12-gallon upgright compressors (both oiled), HF and Sears respectively, neither one of which comes even approaches the giant gently caress off class, and the little one actually gave me enough oomph to take the rusty bolts out of my Roadmaster wheels for the first time. Granted, I had to wait a little bit between each wheel, but still.

zifflol
Apr 27, 2004
If you're in Canada, stroll through Canadian Tire once in a while, their massive mastercraft sets come on sale for less than half price every few months. For someone who just does their own work at home they're more than adequate, but KEEP YOUR RECEIPT, some stores are really finicky about honoring warranties.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Lowes is basically my new sears for basic tools. Their ratchets are slightly better quality, and if you break a tool they give you a brand new one instead of loving around in a drawer of lovely old crap. I go through allen wrenches at an insane rate(mangled bolt heads) and they've never batted an eye at replacing them.

The Cubelodyte posted:

(both oiled)

:hfive:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

oxbrain posted:

Lowes is basically my new sears for basic tools. Their ratchets are slightly better quality, and if you break a tool they give you a brand new one instead of loving around in a drawer of lovely old crap.

I've heard from a couple of different people that Sears does this, yet I've never had it happen to me (they always grab a new one off the shelf). Any idea what gives?

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Brigdh posted:

I've heard from a couple of different people that Sears does this, yet I've never had it happen to me (they always grab a new one off the shelf). Any idea what gives?

I've always gotten new tools from sears as replacements. I suppose it depends on the store.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I had one of those, it didn't do gently caress-all for me beyond taking off lug nuts. All it did was make noise trying to remove my subframe bolts. Could be I had a bad one, has anyone else tried it?

W/R/T Sears, K-Mart's Craftsman section is total comedy. The first time, I had to explain to the checkout girl the exchange deal, and she just shrugged and let me walk out with my shiny new sockets. This was just after the merger/buyout so I don't think anyone really knew what was going on.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I can't think of any Craftsman hand tools I own that are any better than what they sell at Harbor Freight. When it comes to sockets and ratchets the stuff at HF is arguably better in my experience. And the Sears stuff costs three times as much.

I really hate all of my Craftsman ratchets especially. They are sloppy and far too easy to flip-flop the direction of rotation by mistake. I have a couple of HF ratchets that are just kind of crappy. I have a couple of Snap-On ratchets and they are GREAT. Anyone serious about doing their own work should probably have truck brand ratchets in 1/4" and 3/8" drive.

Anything with a battery at HF probably sucks rear end though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, the problem with Craftsman is a lot of it is just junk these days. Somewhere in my garage is my dad's nice Craftsman 1/4" drive with a nice tight action; I can only find the externally-identical one I have with a sloppy-as-hell action to it.

I get far more use out of the Pittsburgh-branded extendable ratchets on my 3/8" and 1/2" drive stuff, with the exception of the 3/8" Craftsman ratchet I have that has a long rear end handle and a flexible head. When the wife gave it to me (it was her late father's) it was broken and I chose to fix it instead of having Sears chuck me a lovely replacement. The 1/4" stuff I handle with either the aforementioned lovely Craftsman or a much nicer Husky.

I will admit to liking Craftsman's socket sets, but that's partly because they have a shallower 3/8" drive 21mm socket than anyone else, and that with a Harbor Freight 3/8" breaker will actually let you pull the crank bolt on a NB Miata without pulling the swaybar.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I need to finish some kitchen cabinets this weekend and am looking for a simple miter box & saw to cut toekicks & trim. Anyone have experience with Harbor Freight hand tools like this http://www.harborfreight.com/miter-box-with-saw-66562.html ?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Bosch axial glide saw. Do it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mod sassinator posted:

I need to finish some kitchen cabinets this weekend and am looking for a simple miter box & saw to cut toekicks & trim. Anyone have experience with Harbor Freight hand tools like this http://www.harborfreight.com/miter-box-with-saw-66562.html ?

I used one of those in school once. It does what you would expect it to do, but I would rather use a miter saw

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Clank posted:

Yea, thats what I was looking at. The smaller one is on sale now and I would wait for the 1/2" one to go on sale but I kinda need to put the wheels back on my motorcycle.

edit: Wow, just checked and now they are both on sale. Probably gonna pick them both up.

I went through 2 of the Maximum 1/2" torque wrenches in about 2 weeks - the ratchet failed in both of them so I went Snap-On instead.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
All of the discounts that aren't free are 25% off. So 25% off like four items then a bunch of free ones.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
There are still two 'decent' 20% off, and 10% off coupons that work today at HF:

20TOOL and SPRING10, respectively.

I ended up with the cheaper charger (6/6, 2/12, 6/12) just because it was in stock last year, and it works well enough to trickle charge anything that's just sitting ignored. Meter reading is a little funky - but it works.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
FWIW the starter function on the 10/2/55 charger is next to useless unless you're helping a battery that's just under the threshold of being able to start a car on its own. I have one...over the winter I needed to jump the lawn tractor I use to plow my driveway and the single cylinder engine caused the charger's thermal breaker to pop when it was 15 degrees outside. Works great otherwise.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 26, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've got a VAT-off coupon for Machine Mart next month, so I'll be doing a shopping trip.

Any UK goons should sign up with them, they don't send them out all the time, but they're actually a decent deal - they pay the VAT on Clarke-branded kit, everything else is 10% off. I tend to hold off on buying stuff I don't desperately need until they've got an offer on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

^
FWIW the starter function on the 10/2/55 charger is next to useless unless you're helping a battery that's just under the threshold of being able to start a car on its own. I have one...over the winter I needed to jump the lawn tractor I use to plow my driveway and the single cylinder engine caused the charger's thermal breaker to pop when it was 15 degrees outside. Works great otherwise.

Yeah, it really is useless for that. Annoying because I've used similar chargers that could actually kick over a car - my dad has a Schumacher in the same form factor that's probably older than I am and spent years as the "12V power supply" for his R/C battery setup (might still be doing it, actually). My mom got a massive (like the size of a small fridge) unit from K-Mart when they closed that will start drat near anything that can be started.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I forgot to hit checkout and lost the deals lol. Glad I didn't buy that charger.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I haven't had any problems with that charger. It won't start with a stone dead battery, but it's plenty for when someone left their lights on for a few hours.

It's also pretty good at reviving batteries that have been sitting too long. It cycles high-low amps to break up the scale on the plates.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

oxbrain posted:

It's also pretty good at reviving batteries that have been sitting too long. It cycles high-low amps to break up the scale on the plates.

Is that an intended feature of the charger or just a side effect of cheap chinese-made electronics?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I have a small area to paint at some point (a dashboard) and wonder what I should be looking for/avoiding in a HVLP gun. At some point I have another, larger application in mind (the underside of the hood). I'd honestly probably just rattle-can the dashboard, though, if it weren't for the fact that I haven't been able to find anything even close to the original color.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

I bought something like this at Lowes and it works but cutting trim like base molding with it isn't much fun... especially at a 45 degree angle. Rent a power miter saw if you can... it'll do much better for you.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I've got a VAT-off coupon for Machine Mart next month, so I'll be doing a shopping trip.

Any UK goons should sign up with them, they don't send them out all the time, but they're actually a decent deal - they pay the VAT on Clarke-branded kit, everything else is 10% off. I tend to hold off on buying stuff I don't desperately need until they've got an offer on.

To get the list of vat free evenings did you just sign up for the e-mails or do you have an account with them.

I ask this because I've bought a few things over the years from them ( couple of welders, compressor and other stuff) but for some reason I've never received the notifications of the evenings.

I've got my eye on the 26cfm petrol motored compressor, but as it says "not for use inside the EEC I'm not sure if they'll sell it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

wav3form posted:

I bought something like this at Lowes and it works but cutting trim like base molding with it isn't much fun... especially at a 45 degree angle. Rent a power miter saw if you can... it'll do much better for you.

Rent?
Just buy one. I got mine on craigslist for $ 25. I could get that if I sold it, but it works and I use it a lot. I'd like a sliding saw, but don't cut wide stuff enough to justify it.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Colonel K posted:

To get the list of vat free evenings did you just sign up for the e-mails or do you have an account with them.

I ask this because I've bought a few things over the years from them ( couple of welders, compressor and other stuff) but for some reason I've never received the notifications of the evenings.

I've got my eye on the 26cfm petrol motored compressor, but as it says "not for use inside the EEC I'm not sure if they'll sell it.

I haven't given them my e-mail address ever and I got the same invite. Dunno if you have to spend £x within a certain time-frame, I've bought a ton of bits and pieces there over the last 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jammyozzy posted:

I haven't given them my e-mail address ever and I got the same invite. Dunno if you have to spend £x within a certain time-frame, I've bought a ton of bits and pieces there over the last 3 months.
They have all my details, but I don't have an account with them. My "invitation" arrives in the post, too.

I quizzed them about it, and as the guys in the store understand it, it's random and just based on the list of names they hold, though personally I think there is some kind of purchase frequency trigger for it.