Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Anyone got any recommendations for funeral doom along the lines of Ahab and Skepticism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008

aliencowboy posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for funeral doom along the lines of Ahab and Skepticism?

Evoken cross into Funeral Doom territory pretty often. The section starting at 6:50 is utterly bone-chilling.

Ghost of Orbo fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 19, 2011

hankki
Nov 10, 2009

Silber posted:

I just emerged from finals and finally got around to picking up Murder The Mountains. This is amazing, I'm glad I have a new jam for 4/20. That said, my favourite stoner rock has to be Truckfighters and Fu Manchu, I prefer that to pretty much everything else I've heard within the genre(s). Any suggestions regarding comparable tunes?

I'd also throw in Firestone for for bands similar to Truckfighters. That split they did together is still one of my favourite records. There's 2 Ep's by Firestone somewhere out there but I think they've called it quits years ago. Still worth checking out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ManKLKeTYn4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3RQ1KE1wKo

hankki fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 19, 2011

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

nosophoros posted:

Roadburn: foregoing Shrinebuilder for other bands and not regretting it one bit.

I agree 100%. That Ufomammut gig is one of the best shows I've ever seen. Could hardly stand on my legs after they completely obliterated me and my group of friends. Already looking forwards to Roadburn 2012!

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 19, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Well, I know for sure I missed many great bands - a problem when pretty much all of them are great choices - there were some torturous clashes but here was my lineup:

Quest For Fire - a nice warmup gig, nothing mindblowing but entertaining
Acid King - simply awesome
Naam - a really nice surprise, I had no idea who they were. Psychedelic technical doom... or something!
Cough - solid stoner/doom with extra slow, extra loud, extra fuzzy live shows. One of my favourites by far, they blew my loving mind
Godflesh - wasn't familiar with them but I can see why people were so excited. I went off half way to see The Atomic Bitchwax but honestly, Godflesh were just doing it for me way more at the time. I'll be checking out Streetcleaner at least

Mammifer - saw about 15 minutes of them; they must have played about 4 guitar notes. They were very loud notes, though. Enjoyable atmospheric doom
Circle - Earth were supposed to come on, but Circle came on instead. This was a disappointment and they weren't really my thing :(
Void Ov Voices - Atilla's (Sunn's vocalist for Monoliths) solo project where he sits round a small skull-candlelit table, and processes his vocal drones into bassy loops and screams/does his general thing over them. Very theatrical and really really enjoyable. I want to hire him out for some vampire party or something
Winter - Really cool stoner/doom, will be checking them out more
Earth - As excellent as the recent gig I went to. Absolutely engrossing and had the whole audience hypnotised
Sunn 0))) - the loudest band by far and my first time seeing them live. What an amazing pants-making GBS threads experience. They started with Orthodox Caveman, but slowed down so much it was almost unrecogniseable. Again, the whole audience was absolutely transfixed
Scorn - Just popped my head in, sounded like some sick drum and bass/dubstep though

Master Musicians of Bukkake - another good surprise. Fully costumed band with 7 or so members, starting with atmospheric drones and moving onto middle eastern deserty doom rock.
Lonely Camel
White Hills
Weedeater - it's Weedeater. Need I say more?
Evoken
Imaad Wasif
Shrinebuilder - sounds loving excellent live. Definitely one of those bands you "get" once you see them live, though I had to leave early to beat the queue for the other venue for Ufomammut. I would've happily stayed otherwise.
Dragontears - pretty good psychedelic stoner rock but it was a bit underwhelming with the small crowd and knowing Shrinebuilder were on
Ufomammut - absolutely sick. They started with Stigma, then played all of Eve, then a few old songs. Eve sounds amazing live and really gives it more life for those who've maybe worn it down a bit.

Spindrift - psychedelic spaghetti western music. Yup.
Sungrazer
Blood Farmers - good riffs and b-movie gore in the background
Coffins - kicked rear end! Really heavy poo poo and great riffs.
Dead Meadow
Black Mountain
Black Pyramid
Sourvein

You can probably tell that it was all great, really. But the atmosphere, the organisation, and the people were amazing. It is paradise for stoner/doom/sludge fans. Nobody there was a dick and you could tell everyone was there truly for the love of the music and not simply to get wasted. On the contrary, it's surely the most civilised metal festival that exists. The campsite had a really nice atmosphere too (and actual toilets and hot showers!), plus the town of Tilburg is absolutely lovely and the rest of the town seemed welcoming of the somewhat odd crowd flocking in for the weekend.

I'll be going every year from now on.

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 19, 2011

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Wait, Scorn's touring? Like Mick Harris Scorn?

e: poo poo Godlfesh was playing the same fest. If Cathedral hadn't broken up a couple months ago and were there they coulda had an old school Napalm Death reunion.

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 19, 2011

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!

Idioteque Dance posted:

Acid King - simply awesome

I don't really understand the appeal of these folks. Lori's vocals are generally so horribly out of tune that I find their music to be completely unlistenable.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

Thalamus posted:

I don't really understand the appeal of these folks. Lori's vocals are generally so horribly out of tune that I find their music to be completely unlistenable.

Well ..that's..just like your opinion man.

Whatever floats your boat, don't understand why you would post your disdain so simply for a band. What do you like? maybe ask for some recommendations closer to those..

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Thalamus posted:

If you're curious about a reasoning from someone who does like them, I'd say that that's an aspect which really isn't important given the context of the band - for me it's that they have a very raw, powerful sound which gives more priority to gut feeling and viscerally charged vocals. A nuanced vocal melody isn't really part of their tone or image. It just really fits their trippy, biker image and sound. If you don't like that, well, it's not exactly hard to find music with more melodic vocals. I'm pretty confident most fans would agree with that.

They sounded great live, though. Like a kickass motorbike engine on acid.

I'm reminded ofthe post-rock band A Silver Mt Zion (who most people here would hate), who are quite popular but get a lot of hate for rather amelodic, nasal but very visceral vocals.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0eyobvhOQs

:420:Happy 4/20:420:

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Polegrinder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0eyobvhOQs

:420:Happy 4/20:420:
Today is the day to post songs overtly and unashamedly about weed!

Rise... vision through THC
:drum::420: Maaaaa-riiiiii-juana! :420::drum:
Long live dirtweed

Posting any and/or every Bongzilla song is also permitted

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
Happy 4/20, my bong-hittin', bearded friends!

BURY ME IN SMOOOOOOOOKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGm3ByUUA0U

Never forget seeing them open for Tool back in the day in Little Rock, this song comes on and the entire arena gets loving buried indeed. Dude next to me was asking over and over if I had glaucoma. Crazy show.

Incidentally, the new Gates of Slumber has hit yon Interwebben, and it's face-meltingly awesome.

Stink Hungry
Jul 22, 2003

You betcha

Idioteque Dance posted:

Godflesh - wasn't familiar with them but I can see why people were so excited. I went off half way to see The Atomic Bitchwax but honestly, Godflesh were just doing it for me way more at the time. I'll be checking out Streetcleaner at least

I didnt know it was possible to not know who Godflesh is

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Stink Hungry posted:

I confused 'em with Godsmack but never heard of them. Didn't care for them at all at Roadburn to be honest. Weaksauce.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Stink Hungry posted:

Of course I knew about them, my old housemate (who I went to roadburn with) is obsessed with Justin Broadrick, I just never gave them the time. There's so many bands like that for me :(

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!

Cold Day posted:

Well ..that's..just like your opinion man.

Whatever floats your boat, don't understand why you would post your disdain so simply for a band. What do you like? maybe ask for some recommendations closer to those..

Just something that's been bugging me for a while. I own The Early Years and Busse Woods and have listened to them a few times and just can't get past the vocals (something which isn't usually a problem for me). It's not so much that the melodies are bad or anything, she's just always about a quarter step sharp or flat and it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

smile.jpg
Jun 15, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

Get some Colosseum going as well. They are very much like Ahab, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVeaIYZa11E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSsGwcE3s9U&feature=related

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

aliencowboy posted:

Cataaacooooombs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yrbKBNWAQk

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp

aliencowboy posted:

Skepticism is in my top 3 of my favorite bands so I can help you out.

Longing For Dawn - Has my favorite Funeral Doom "mouthful-of-lasagna" vocals.
Worship - A little harder to listen to - a little harsher, but still awesome.
Shape of Despair - Slight hints of "vaginal" Funeral Doom but this is a great band. Long rear end intros.
Wormphlegm - Utterly filthy.
Catacombs

Bondage fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 21, 2011

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Check out Murkrat too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnGDPcXJh9k I don't listen to much funeral doom so this is the closest I'd get.

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl

Wyzt posted:

Cataaacooooombs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yrbKBNWAQk

How have I never heard this? Thanks for posting this.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It may have been hyped here already, but it bears repeating: Monkeypriest's The Psalm is abso-fuckin-lutely amazing! Oh holy gently caress at the thick-as-gently caress sludge that flows like a river of black evil out of this album. It's nonstop riff worship from start to finish. The second track, "The Word of the Priest" has one of the most face-meltingly brilliant riffs I've ever heard.

Set down your bongs, my brothers, and give this a listen, post-haste.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Not as dark as, say, Catacombs, but I'm partial to Esoteric for funeral doom. The Secret of the Secret is one of my favorite songs ever. Absolutely beautiful stuff.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
As long as people are recommending stuff... Can someone recommend something that sounds like DOOM:VS? He was mentioned in the last thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBPx1pX2lFQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkQ2eGIwAWc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cv8Y22QXVI

err fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 23, 2011

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Instrument stoner/doom stuff. Both bands just have out an EP, but I see a lot of potential and hope they go far.

MAJOR KONG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCOPBF3-oVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96xeGwMWZxQ

MONGOLIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgGjywg5aqc

shiatza
May 15, 2005

shiatza fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 7, 2015

Slabs
Oct 14, 2003

Fuck, Fuck, Fuck!
New trailer for the "fuzzomentary" following Truckfighters has been released. Some familiar faces telling lies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZyvY-ithBc

Psychedelius
Apr 24, 2010

I love how it's completely obvious that Josh Homme is just bullshitting. Also, "I know that that band definitely influenced Kyuss..." :lol:

Great band though, might watch the "fuzzomentary" if I get the chance.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Well then, the new Bitchwax album is fuckin' awesome. Part of me thinks it'd be better broken up into a few tracks (there are obvious breaks, too) but on the other hand I kind of dig the old vinyl thing of having to listen to it all to find your 'favourite' bit.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

jadias posted:

Well then, the new Bitchwax album is fuckin' awesome. Part of me thinks it'd be better broken up into a few tracks (there are obvious breaks, too) but on the other hand I kind of dig the old vinyl thing of having to listen to it all to find your 'favourite' bit.

Yeah, I can listen to it multiple times back to back without getting tired of any of it.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
For those who haven't heard, Kyuss Lives! announced two U.S. dates with The Sword. They are Sept. 23rd at Terminal 5 in NYC and Oct. 8th at The Fox Theater in Pomona, CA.

They've also revealed they'll record a new album following their current tour.

Info here.

NuclearGuru
Jan 4, 2011
I have a ticket for the Sleep show in NYC on June 22nd, but I just realized that unfortunately I can't make it. The full price of the ticket after Ticketmaster bullshit was 35, I'll sell it for 30. Just trying to get most of my money back here.

PM/AIM/whatever if you're interested.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Kl

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

For those who haven't heard, Kyuss Lives! announced two U.S. dates with The Sword. They are Sept. 23rd at Terminal 5 in NYC and Oct. 8th at The Fox Theater in Pomona, CA.

They've also revealed they'll record a new album following their current tour.

Info here.

I thought Josh Homme had come around and rolled with new kyuss, but I guess I did just dream that after all... gently caress.

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008
Has The Wandering Midget been mentioned yet? poo poo name, but they've got some good riffs.

Vocals remind me of The Wizar'd

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Ghost of Orbo posted:

Has The Wandering Midget been mentioned yet? poo poo name, but they've got some good riffs.

Vocals remind me of The Wizar'd

Maybe not in this thread but in the previous one, yeah. Cool band, cool guys. My band did a show with them a while back.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

NuclearGuru posted:

I have a ticket for the Sleep show in NYC on June 22nd, but I just realized that unfortunately I can't make it. The full price of the ticket after Ticketmaster bullshit was 35, I'll sell it for 30. Just trying to get most of my money back here.

PM/AIM/whatever if you're interested.

I don't have PMs, but I'm very interested in this deal. AIM in profile, hit me up!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Okay, is it just me or is Truckfighters' Mania way better than Gravity X?

Psychedelius
Apr 24, 2010

For me, all of the Truckfighters' material is almost equal quality wise, with their half of Fuzzsplit of the Century coming in on top.

Mania is great and while it's not got as many heavy hitters as Gravity X (or Phi), I'd definitely be interested in some more mellow-y stuff like Monster. Also, Con of Man is one of my absolute favorites.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Thanks to those that recommended Lair Of The Minotaur. It's my #1 weight lifting album right now.

Is it wrong for me to recommend the Deftones cover of "If Only Tonight We could Sleep" here? It's pretty stoner...I guess....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP3hIUNNUhI

It's on the Covers album and I can't stop listening to it.

midge fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

So, like, what demon do you have to appease to achieve the mind-blowingly low riff that Moss achieves on the opening track of Tombs of the Blind Drugged? It's gotta be close to below human hearing.

In other news, The Sword are swinging through Little Rock again on June 7th. My third time seeing them live, can't wait!