Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criminal Minded posted:

it's a loving masterpiece

Yes, this.

However, I would never recommend a blind buy of anything to someone I don't know. Why not have a taste and see for yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
Got my copy of Blow Out and it has one the best booklets to date! In case someone doesn't want to be spoiled It has two pages of awesome poster art for movies like "Food of the Gods", "Incredible Melting Man", "Fantasex" and "Squirm"!. Also has pages from a magazine prop that details the death of Governor McRyan

It's nice to remember that Travolta could act and was a hottie.

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

zazie dans le métro comming june 28 wooooooooooooooot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee
Zazie dans le metro has just a cringe-worthy cover. Am I alone in thinking this?

WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Got my copy of Blow Out and it has one the best booklets to date! In case someone doesn't want to be spoiled It has two pages of awesome poster art for movies like "Food of the Gods", "Incredible Melting Man", "Fantasex" and "Squirm"!. Also has pages from a magazine prop that details the death of Governor McRyan

It's nice to remember that Travolta could act and was a hottie.

The inclusion of Murder a la Mod alone makes this the best Criterion package of the year, though I'm still not sure why Noah Baumbach suddenly decided he was a worthy De Palma acolyte.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Several Criterion Blurays seem to have dropped to around $18 on Amazon.

Is this cheaper than they'd even be typically during the Barnes and Noble holiday sale? It's hard to say if this is some kind of permanent change for Amazon, since I'm not seeing any sale tied to it, but 18 dollars is a real good price for many of these.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They're usually ~$15 a pop during BN sales, but $18's still a good price for one or two.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
The blu-rays tend to be about $20 during the Barnes and Noble sale, at least online. If you can find a sympathetic cashier, you can usually get ridiculous coupon chains going and get them for next to nothing, but B&N seems to have cracked down on that a bit. They also have been excluding the Criterions from any online coupons.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

I'm still not sure why Noah Baumbach suddenly decided he was a worthy De Palma acolyte.

Inexplicably, they are, like, buddies now. Apparently somewhere in the commentary De Palma is like "remember that movie we watched the other night?"

Brian Fellows posted:

Several Criterion Blurays seem to have dropped to around $18 on Amazon.

Is this cheaper than they'd even be typically during the Barnes and Noble holiday sale? It's hard to say if this is some kind of permanent change for Amazon, since I'm not seeing any sale tied to it, but 18 dollars is a real good price for many of these.

The sale also extends to certain DVDs: the BBS set and every DVD release (including Eclipse sets) more recent than that except for Blow Out and Kes (too new) and Shock Corridor (no clue why). A smattering of older ones are also 50% off; my non-exhaustive research indicates that all but one are DVDs with Blu-Ray editions.

The exception is Battle of Algiers, which means either that a Blu-Ray is on the way or that $50 retail is just a lot for one movie, no matter how extensive the features.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion could use some price drops, though. Their early non-anamorphic/non-remastered bare bones discs are still $30 MSRP.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion could use some price drops, though. Their early non-anamorphic/non-remastered bare bones discs are still $30 MSRP.

I had thought that the Essential Art House sets were going to effectively do this (e.g. Pygmalion) but they seem to have reoriented their business approach of late. I wonder to what extent they got priced out of renewing their Studiocanal license and to what extent they just decided it wasn't worth the investment.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I want to pick George Washington but it won't go below $35.49. Guess I'll need to wait for B&N. When is it due?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
They normally happen in July and November.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

I had thought that the Essential Art House sets were going to effectively do this (e.g. Pygmalion) but they seem to have reoriented their business approach of late. I wonder to what extent they got priced out of renewing their Studiocanal license and to what extent they just decided it wasn't worth the investment.

From the PR on their site, it seems that Lionsgate simply overbid to the point there's no way Criterion would be able to keep rights. They buy licenses to use as collateral for feature film financing. This is why the Republic library has been treated so poorly. They've only released a handful of titles compared to those put out in the UK and France.

By the way, you might want to pick up the few remaining StudioCanal titles that aren't out of print yet: Le Doulos, Army of Shadows, Last Year at Marienbad, Le Cercle Rouge, and Mafioso. The Blu for AoS is fantastic... great movie, too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've never seen a Kurasawa film before, so Sanjuro and Yojimbo for $28 was too good to pass up :toot:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
They're awesome, and I say this as someone who doesn't like samurai films.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They're awesome, and I say this as someone who doesn't like samurai films.

Agreed. Whenever someone says that they don't like subtitled/black and white movies I talk them into watching Yojimbo to convince them that not all old or foreign movies suck. Works like a charm.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Agreed. Whenever someone says that they don't like subtitled/black and white movies I talk them into watching Yojimbo to convince them that not all old or foreign movies suck. Works like a charm.

Anyone who says something like that isn't worth talking to.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

This surprises me, because while Yojimbo kicks unholy amounts of rear end, it's comparatively slow-paced and has pretty theatrical acting. Not really accessible to idiots.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

penismightier posted:

This surprises me, because while Yojimbo kicks unholy amounts of rear end, it's comparatively slow-paced and has pretty theatrical acting. Not really accessible to idiots.

What would you suggest instead? Maybe The Grand Illusion or Breathless or something? It's been awhile since I've seen it but I recall The Testament of Dr. Mabuse being pretty fast-paced and accessible.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Notorious.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Archyduke posted:

What would you suggest instead? Maybe The Grand Illusion or Breathless or something? It's been awhile since I've seen it but I recall The Testament of Dr. Mabuse being pretty fast-paced and accessible.

The Third Man.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Any Powell and Pressburger.

Edit: For black and white, go with A Canterbury Tale and The Small Back Room (if you can still find it. It's OOP now). The 49th Parallel is good, but not as great as the two previously mentioned.

fix yr hearts fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 29, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Criminal Minded posted:

The Third Man.

Years ago, this is the film that got me interested in classic movies.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
On the flip side I showed Hard Boiled to one friend who loves stupid action movies thinking it's brilliant rapid editing and bullet ballets it would be right up his alley, but after watching it he said he didn't like it because it "just wasn't realistic". People who like lovely movies can be really picky sometimes.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
For idiots just suggest Dr. Strangelove as a black and white and then suggest Fast 5 (It's certified fresh)

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc
Some of these entries for the "my essential criterion" contest on facebook are cringe-worthy... but... mine got three "likes" immediately and no one else has any "likes" so I think that I'm going to win.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Space Cooter posted:

Some of these entries for the "my essential criterion" contest on facebook are cringe-worthy... but... mine got three "likes" immediately and no one else has any "likes" so I think that I'm going to win.

I see a bunch with likes. Good lord, there's a lot of entries.

Also, if you are who I think you are, you go to college and are friends with my cousin.

edit: never mind, don't think that's you

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

I see a bunch with likes. Good lord, there's a lot of entries.

Also, if you are who I think you are, you go to college and are friends with my cousin.

edit: never mind, don't think that's you

Haha, as if I'd have any friends...

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Space Cooter posted:

I got one like!

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

Space Cooter posted:

Some of these entries for the "my essential criterion" contest on facebook are cringe-worthy...
No poo poo, I was just scrolling through some and it is like reading a caricature of what people think of film snobs. What part of one sentence do blowhards not understand.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

TheYellowFog posted:

No poo poo, I was just scrolling through some and it is like reading a caricature of what people think of film snobs. What part of one sentence do blowhards not understand.

Oh but you see, this is only one sentence; let me explain to you Godard's use of montage and motion to create his masterwork - in this film, the ultimate expression of the joyfulness of youth, Godard has created a breathless imagery that conjugates in my senses; for me it is the most essential and alive movie, a celebration of cinema.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

Post the best ones

MY ESSENTIAL CRITERION: A film of such empathy, sympathy, and purr love of life and mankind THE BICYCLE THIEF is one of the only movies that moves and aches you as the too-simple-to-believe plot unfolds as a heart-breaking tale that touches every one who views it, even those who don't like reading subtitles.

MY ESSENTIAL CRITERION: Fanny and Alexander has given me the richest, most fulfilling cinematic experience of my life, and I owe some of my will to live to the hope that I might encounter other works of art that render the joys and woes and heartrending beauty of the human spirit half as gloriously.

MY ESSENTIAL CRITERION: Sound works to transform a rigid sense of space into three dimensions, a film of driving whereby the car denotes a Bressonian existential cage while the world outside its windows rolls languidly by, occasionally engaged. Lyrical, unsentimental, hard, and searching. No other film invites the viewer so completely, as both filmgoer and human being.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

If this guy doesn't win one of the gift certificates I'm gonna have a major hissy fit:

MY ESSENTIAL CRITERION: GRACE I KNOW I PROMISED YOU I WAS COMING HOME. LOOKS LIKE I'M GONNA HAVE TO BREAK THAT PROMISE.
(linked to Armageddon)

The Castro
Apr 28, 2010
Just ordered the boxed set of Brazil off Amazon.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Went to snag America's lost and found, and it's back to 90 bucks. Curses.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Picked up 8 1/2 and Yojimbo/Sanjuro off amazon because I love using slashes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cross-posting from the Blu-Ray thread:

FitFortDanga posted:

This NYT article says that the Universal Marx Brothers movies are coming June 7th.

They've also revealed a couple of Criterion's August announcements: Cocteau's Orpheus and the complete Jean Vigo (both August 2nd).

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Orpheus isn't much of a surprise. Criterion actually said that it would probably be their first Cocteau in blu-ray (which isn't the case now, of course). Shame they lost the other two films in the Cocteau set to Lionsgate.

Now, the complete Vigo, that's really awesome. (So is Orpheus in blu, but, c'mon, at least it's had a decent treatment before)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Yeah I'm psyched about the Vigo. They teased it in the New Year drawing, I'm glad it's (apparently) going to include everything.