Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Why the hell is the Stormlight Archive £8.99 on Kindle ? That's more than a paperback and twice the common price for a kindle book.

Odds are you can find the words THIS PRICE IS SET BY THE PUBLISHER somewhere on the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
It's not out in mass market paperback yet, that's end of May. It's cheaper that the Dec 30 2010 paperback that's up on amazon.co.uk for £9.69. I'd expect the price on the Kindle flavor to drop around May 26 or so.

Has anybody compared the Kindle version to the print version, specifically around the interior art? I've only done the audiobook so far and was looking to see some of the art inside the book people have spoken about...

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

fordan posted:

It's not out in mass market paperback yet, that's end of May. It's cheaper that the Dec 30 2010 paperback that's up on amazon.co.uk for £9.69. I'd expect the price on the Kindle flavor to drop around May 26 or so.

Has anybody compared the Kindle version to the print version, specifically around the interior art? I've only done the audiobook so far and was looking to see some of the art inside the book people have spoken about...

I haven't compared it, but the Kindle version does have alot of art in it, mostly in between chapter breaks.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Skapegoat posted:

Didn't Raoden and most of his gang become shiny haired, shiny skinned gods towards the end of Elantris? I don't doubt that the people looking for Hoid are from the Elantris world (forgot the name), but they probably wern't Raoden or any of the main characters from Elantris.

they can disguise themselves no? The suggestion being the closer the disguise to 'normal' the less likely anyone would discover it?

treeboy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 19, 2011

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

fordan posted:

I have both hard back and Kindle (I went to a signing and got that and ToM signed, otherwise I would only have the Kindle version).

It has all the art, it's really well done too. Maps are really the only thing that aren't so hot on the Kindle, they can be hard to read.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

subx posted:

I have both hard back and Kindle (I went to a signing and got that and ToM signed, otherwise I would only have the Kindle version).

It has all the art, it's really well done too. Maps are really the only thing that aren't so hot on the Kindle, they can be hard to read.

I just finished the Kindle version yesterday, and I was similarly impressed with the conversion to e-book. Usually most of the art and such is left out, I thought it was a nice touch that they included it.

I had never heard of Sanderson before, and read TWoK on a whim. Now I really want to start the Mistborn trilogy as well.

If Sanderson is able to fulfill the promise of TWoK with the rest of his Stormlight Archives series, we're in for one hell of a ride. I'm pretty hooked, and while Dalinar's POV started out pretty slow, by the last third of the book I was really engaged with his story as well as Kaladin's. I had a bit of trouble staying engaged with Shallan, but it sounds like her POV is about to get much more interesting.

I have to agree with the others though that the flashback chapters hurt the flow of the story. I'm hoping that we see less of those as the series progresses.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

paradigmblue posted:

I had never heard of Sanderson before, and read TWoK on a whim. Now I really want to start the Mistborn trilogy as well.

I'm finishing up a re-read of the Mistborn trilogy now in anticipation of Alloy of Law and it's still pretty good, and really great in a lot of places.

Also, the "Sanderson Avalanche" is by now a well-documented effect.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

arioch posted:

I'm finishing up a re-read of the Mistborn trilogy now in anticipation of Alloy of Law and it's still pretty good, and really great in a lot of places.

Also, the "Sanderson Avalanche" is by now a well-documented effect.

Well he only has like 6 books (minus WoT), so currently it's not too hard to get caught up on all his works. If he continues at this pace, in 20 years a "Sanderson Avalanche" will take like 2 years to read through.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

subx posted:

Well he only has like 6 books (minus WoT), so currently it's not too hard to get caught up on all his works. If he continues at this pace, in 20 years a "Sanderson Avalanche" will take like 2 years to read through.

But the payoffs will by that time actually give people strokes and heart attacks.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Started Mistborn, about...gently caress I have no idea how many pages in I am. Kindle edition with no page numbers. :( He just robbed the estate. Really digging it so far. You can tell it's an earlier effort by him, as the writing isn't as good as in the WoT, but it's not bad at all.

As many have said, it's refreshing to read a world where magic is so originally done. I like it.

So far, looking forward to seeing what's next!

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

edit: ooops, this post belongs in the Abercrombie thread.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A Nice Boy posted:

Started Mistborn, about...gently caress I have no idea how many pages in I am. Kindle edition with no page numbers. :( He just robbed the estate. Really digging it so far. You can tell it's an earlier effort by him, as the writing isn't as good as in the WoT, but it's not bad at all.

As many have said, it's refreshing to read a world where magic is so originally done. I like it.

So far, looking forward to seeing what's next!

When you're done with all three, you should read his annotations on his website. He foreshadows the ending of the series from the very beginning. It's impressive how much thought went into it.

I suppose that you could read them now, as anything not hidden by a huge, red SPOILER button is safe and won't spoiler anything that hasn't already happened. But if you're anything like me, you wouldn't be able to resist clicking those big red SPOILER buttons and then you'd be sad. So don't do it.

That fight in the estate is one he talks about specifically as being too technical and expository, but he couldn't find a better way to convey Allomancy as performed by a Mistborn in a better way.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

threeagainstfour posted:

edit: ooops, this post belongs in the Abercrombie thread.

Sorry you posted in this thread, now you have to go buy and read Mistborn.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ConfusedUs posted:

That fight in the estate is one he talks about specifically as being too technical and expository, but he couldn't find a better way to convey Allomancy as performed by a Mistborn in a better way.

Can't fault him too much for that because it sets up one of the climactic fights of the novel so drat well.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

'Skapegoat" posted:

Didn't Raoden and most of his gang become shiny haired, shiny skinned gods towards the end of Elantris? I don't doubt that the people looking for Hoid are from the Elantris world (forgot the name), but they probably wern't Raoden or any of the main characters from Elantris.

treeboy posted:

they can disguise themselves no? The suggestion being the closer the disguise to 'normal' the less likely anyone would discover it?

Their powers decrease significantly the farther they get from Elantris, which serves as a giant power-amplification spell, so I don't see them world-hopping. They couldn't teleport back from Theod? or wherever at the end of the book because it was too far away for the spell to work.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

wallaka posted:

Their powers decrease significantly the farther they get from Elantris, which serves as a giant power-amplification spell, so I don't see them world-hopping. They couldn't teleport back from Theod? or wherever at the end of the book because it was too far away for the spell to work.

They would have to figure out how the other nations managed to tap into AonDor without the benefit of Elantris.

Not that I think this group are the characters from Elantris.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

arioch posted:

They would have to figure out how the other nations managed to tap into AonDor without the benefit of Elantris.

Not that I think this group are the characters from Elantris.

Even if they figured out how to tap AonDor from other countries, it straight up wouldn't work outside of their world. Even if they found a way to travel from world to world (and I'm sure they're be able to, given how malleable Aons are) it would be a one way trip, and it would probably kill them to be cut off from AonDor.

I just finished re-reading Elantris, and I don't see any reason why the elantrians would be going after Hoid anyway. He was acting as a beggar in that book too, unless I missed something.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

senae posted:

Even if they figured out how to tap AonDor from other countries, it straight up wouldn't work outside of their world. Even if they found a way to travel from world to world (and I'm sure they're be able to, given how malleable Aons are) it would be a one way trip, and it would probably kill them to be cut off from AonDor.

I just finished re-reading Elantris, and I don't see any reason why the elantrians would be going after Hoid anyway. He was acting as a beggar in that book too, unless I missed something.

Regarding the one way trip theory, we know that the Hoid we keep seeing is the same character, so obviously he has some ability that is independent of location. Possibly they 'leapt' after him and are in fact stuck and therefore looking for him to figure out how to get back?

We also don't know the exact timeline. If it were Raoden (and i'm not convinced, I just thought it was an interesting theory) it could be Raoden twenty years after the events of Elantris. Also i can't find a source but I want to say that Brandon said we'd met some of the other characters in TWoK before. I'll see if i can confirm that or I'm just imagining it.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 26, 2011

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I finished the Mistborn trilogy over the Easter weekend and liked it a lot. It was the first thing I've read by him (always dismissed him as "the WoT-guy" - never got into WoT -, until John Scalzi praised him quite a bit). Great plot and twists, good characters and I liked the rather unique world (Mordor at the North Pole is a bit different from your usual Europe-blend map) and it only had some minor things I didn't like (like the already mentioned drag at the start of book 2).

I wasn't really surprised to read in his excellent Annotations that he is a religious man, the lack of curse words and sex and the musings on faith were a pretty strong giveaway. Doesn't matter for me, even if I have completely opposite views, since he doesn't come off as preachy or fundamentalist (Even if the most faithful man in the book ends up as god. ;)It is quite fitting for Sazed after all.).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Decius posted:

I wasn't really surprised to read in his excellent Annotations that he is a religious man, the lack of curse words and sex and the musings on faith were a pretty strong giveaway. Doesn't matter for me, even if I have completely opposite views, since he doesn't come off as preachy or fundamentalist (Even if the most faithful man in the book ends up as god. ;)It is quite fitting for Sazed after all.).

At the same time, though, (major Mistborn spoilers) Sazed realized his entire faith was a lie, perverted by Ruin over the course of centuries. That says to me that he's not going to be the sort of author who will try to use his books to convert people to his faith.

I personally really appreciate that since the authors who do try to promote their views through their writing usually end up either annoying me because I disagree with them or bore me to tears because I already hold the same viewpoint and want them to just get on with the story.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

treeboy posted:

Regarding the one way trip theory, we know that the Hoid we keep seeing is the same character, so obviously he has some ability that is independent of location. Possibly they 'leapt' after him and are in fact stuck and therefore looking for him to figure out how to get back?

We also don't know the exact timeline. If it were Raoden (and i'm not convinced, I just thought it was an interesting theory) it could be Raoden twenty years after the events of Elantris. Also i can't find a source but I want to say that Brandon said we'd met some of the other characters in TWoK before. I'll see if i can confirm that or I'm just imagining it.

Maybe the Hoid we see in Way of Kings isn't the same Hoid we see in the other books. In Way of Kings he did say he stole the name.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Streebs posted:

Maybe the Hoid we see in Way of Kings isn't the same Hoid we see in the other books. In Way of Kings he did say he stole the name.

I'm pretty sure Sanderson has said it's the same guy/world.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

IRQ posted:

I'm pretty sure Sanderson has said it's the same guy/world.

Yea, I remember reading something about all his books taking place in the same world just 1000's of years apart.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Streebs posted:

The "new" Hoid is described as a younger man whereas the other Hoids are old beggars/storyteller types.

But that isn't overly strange considering Hoid seems to be in the same league as Ruin/Preservation/Aona/Skai/Sazed/Odium/etc. and is basically a god.

(The "new" Hoid says he took the name from someone he loved. So that's kind of odd.)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Decius posted:

I finished the Mistborn trilogy over the Easter weekend and liked it a lot. It was the first thing I've read by him (always dismissed him as "the WoT-guy" - never got into WoT -, until John Scalzi praised him quite a bit). Great plot and twists, good characters and I liked the rather unique world (Mordor at the North Pole is a bit different from your usual Europe-blend map) and it only had some minor things I didn't like (like the already mentioned drag at the start of book 2).

Going beyond that, a theme in all of his books (beside WoT and Stormlight) is that organized religion is often corruptible, or corrupted. If I didn't know any better I'd say Sanderson was an Atheist.

In Mistborn the only religion with religious truth in it was corrupted by ruin, I would say Elantris is more about Hrathens growing disenfranchisement with his religion, and the realization that his monolithic religious leader has been using his followers to do evil, and Warbreaker is about the priest upper class literally preventing their god from speaking to his own people.

Sanderson is really the best kind of Mormon author: the kind that isn't anything like Card.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

senae posted:

Going beyond that, a theme in all of his books (beside WoT and Stormlight) is that organized religion is often corruptible, or corrupted. If I didn't know any better I'd say Sanderson was an Atheist.

In Mistborn the only religion with religious truth in it was corrupted by ruin, I would say Elantris is more about Hrathens growing disenfranchisement with his religion, and the realization that his monolithic religious leader has been using his followers to do evil, and Warbreaker is about the priest upper class literally preventing their god from speaking to his own people.

Sanderson is really the best kind of Mormon author: the kind that isn't anything like Card.

In Stormlight the Radiants, the angel analogues, give up on the war and told their people a lie about the war being over and that they finally won. Then the closest thing to a priesthood in that setting the Knights Radiant completely abandon their duties as well.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

arioch posted:

In Stormlight the Radiants, the angel analogues, give up on the war and told their people a lie about the war being over and that they finally won. Then the closest thing to a priesthood in that setting the Knights Radiant completely abandon their duties as well.

Wasn't there a priesthood who tried to take over politics and were overthrown and that's why they can't own anything now?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Clinton1011 posted:

Wasn't there a priesthood who tried to take over politics and were overthrown and that's why they can't own anything now?

Yes, that too. Thought there's some hints that maybe they were on to something with their prophecies but didn't win that particular power struggle and got hushed the gently caress up. I'll chalk that up to a tentative "yes, another Sandersonian failed organized religion" until we get confirmation one way or the other.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Clinton1011 posted:

Yea, I remember reading something about all his books taking place in the same world just 1000's of years apart.

Given that his worlds have completely distinct deities/magic systems, they're clearly not the same world. What I've heard is (and I guess this is spoilerish for the end of Mistborn, they're all part of the same multiverse setting. Presevation, Desecration, Ruin, and so on all seem like potential members of a larger pantheon that got scattered and divided amongst different universes.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
^^^^^^^
Edit: Unless I'm misremembering, all of the worlds/universes were created by a single overdiety shattering itself into a bunch of different worlds with different rules. It kinda makes you think that the Lord Ruler might have been onto something with the "sliver of infinity" title, and Sazed strongly hinted to it at the end of misstborn.Mistborn spoiler

Clinton1011 posted:

Actually, I just remembered them. They also tried to control the fabrial magic by saying it was tied to the armlets, but it isn't, you need to be born to it. Or maybe it is sometimes and isn't others, it's been a while since I read it. All I know is that main girl transmuted something without a fabrial near the end, and was seeing those nightmare fuel letter heads at the end.

egg tats fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 26, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Velius posted:

Given that his worlds have completely distinct deities/magic systems, they're clearly not the same world. What I've heard is (and I guess this is spoilerish for the end of Mistborn, they're all part of the same multiverse setting. Presevation, Desecration, Ruin, and so on all seem like potential members of a larger pantheon that got scattered and divided amongst different universes.

I haven't read Warbreaker yet, but the others are relatively small settings that could just be isolated continents/time periods on the same world.

The deities and magic systems don't seem mutually exclusive at this point.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

IRQ posted:

I haven't read Warbreaker yet, but the others are relatively small settings that could just be isolated continents/time periods on the same world.

Warbreaker and Elantris are the only two that could possibly overlap. Mistborn has the entire world covered in ash for 1000 years, with the entire population living on a single continent, and Stormlight has giant storms that ravage half the world, with robust trade towards the other half.

and technically, we only know of one set of deities for sure, and that would be ruin/preservation from mistborn.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

senae posted:

and technically, we only know of one set of deities for sure, and that would be ruin/preservation from mistborn.

"met in actual stories" maybe

Hoid refers to more deities/entities in his letter, in the Part 2 "bumps" in Way of Kings: Aona (Aon Dor), Skai (Skaze, also on Elantris somewhere), Rayse (Odium), Ati (Ruin)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

senae posted:

Warbreaker and Elantris are the only two that could possibly overlap. Mistborn has the entire world covered in ash for 1000 years, with the entire population living on a single continent, and Stormlight has giant storms that ravage half the world, with robust trade towards the other half.

It's not exactly inconceivable that a continent wouldn't know the the others existed and might think the entire world revolved around their own little part of it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

IRQ posted:

It's not exactly inconceivable that a continent wouldn't know the the others existed and might think the entire world revolved around their own little part of it.

The deities are omniscient in regard to the planets they're attached to, so that wouldn't be it either.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

arioch posted:

The "new" Hoid is described as a younger man whereas the other Hoids are old beggars/storyteller types.

But that isn't overly strange considering Hoid seems to be in the same league as Ruin/Preservation/Aona/Skai/Sazed/Odium/etc. and is basically a god.

(The "new" Hoid says he took the name from someone he loved. So that's kind of odd.)

Oh hey I just got to that bit in warbreaker and you're wrong (sorry).

Warbreaker pg 374 posted:

Siri rolled her eyes, but continued to eat the grape slices. The storyteller[hoid] waited patiently. As she looked more closely, she could tell that he wasn't quite as old as he seemed at first glance. The beard must be a badge of his profession, and while it didn't appear to be fake, she suspected that it had been bleached. He was really much younger then he wanted to appear.

There's no reason to believe that he wasn't disguised in the other books, as well. I also don't really see how he's like a God when he admits to being from an order known to hop around the multiverse collecting stories, a la that one guy that knew him in WoK.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paradigmblue posted:

I have to agree with the others though that the flashback chapters hurt the flow of the story. I'm hoping that we see less of those as the series progresses.

See, I really liked the flashbacks. A nice pause in the action to take a breather, and it helps flesh out the main character? What's not to like!

Seriously, Kal's flashbacks were awesome, the chapters that hurt the flow the most were Shallan's, because they felt so disconnected from the rest of the action.

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

IRQ posted:

The worlds are named, Elantris- Sel
Mistborn- Scadrial
WoK- Roshar
Warbreaker - ??? (I think it was mentioned, but I forgot it)

The most telling evidence that the books take place on different worlds is that in his letter in WoK, Hoid mentions "One need on­ly look at the af­ter­math of his brief vis­it to Sel to see proof of what I say."

This shows that the Elantris world is a different place and is still around. Also, he's probably refering to the massive earthquake that caused the land to be deformed, causing the Shaod. <- Elantris spoiler

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah I'm sure the ancient Chinese had a different word for earth than the Romans too...

I think we may just all have to agree to disagree; you guys are dead set against the idea that they're the same world, but your arguments aren't at all convincing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

IRQ posted:

Yeah I'm sure the ancient Chinese had a different word for earth than the Romans too...

I think we may just all have to agree to disagree; you guys are dead set against the idea that they're the same world, but your arguments aren't at all convincing.

Read some Sanderson interviews, he's explicitly stated it.