Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

A drat FOG posted:

That's a good observation but I'm not sure I buy that anyone is reading sports columns by women, thinking "man, this broad would really have something if she just had some locker room anecdotes to throw in there."

I was trying to reference the whole Masters thing that happened and how lovely it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

A drat FOG posted:

You defended what he said as "not sexist" so I assumed you would be able to come up with some way for his opinion to make sense without being sexist.

No, I said his statement about preferring male sports columnists to female sports columnists doesn't automatically make him a misogynist, because it doesn't. It may very well be sexist, depending on what it is rooted in.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Groucho Marxist posted:

I was trying to reference the whole Masters thing that happened and how lovely it was.

I didn't think you were arguing with me but I did think it was actually a good observation regardless.

Ace Jameson posted:

No, I said his statement about preferring male sports columnists to female sports columnists doesn't automatically make him a misogynist, because it doesn't. It may very well be sexist, depending on what it is rooted in.

Then I am utterly confused since you are the first person to use the word misogynist in this conversation. No one said to him "you are a misogynist" but I'm pretty sure when he posted that everyone thought it was a sexist thing to say. Anyway if there's no argument here I'm just going to drop it, but I still find it bizarre that you're trying to defend a sexist comment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
caucasians write better columns in my opinion

what its just my opinion

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Fevernova posted:

Probably a tired question, but who or what should I be reading?

Lot of good baseball blogs out there, most of them being on the ESPN Sweet Spot network like The PLatoon Advantage, Rany on the Royals, etc

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what its just my opinion

browns write better with their superior fast-twitch muscle fibers

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

SM64Guy posted:

Lot of good baseball blogs out there, most of them being on the ESPN Sweet Spot network like The PLatoon Advantage, Rany on the Royals, etc

There's some good blogs on SBNation as well (though some not-so-good ones in the mix). Read your favorite teams' blogs and see if you like them. I love Lookout Landing for the Mariners, but I don't particularly care for Field Gulls for the Seahawks.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what its just my opinion

the black community has not been represented very well by the black column writers tbh. whitlock, jemele hill and co are either complete idiots or use "black" as their gimmick.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

euphronius posted:

Let me double check here: When Barry Bonds alleged used PEDs they were not banned by baseball right? I have read so much about Bonds "cheating".

PEDs were not banned by baseball at the time of the supersluggers in the late 90s-early 00s. Barry was in trouble for lying to congress about it, while Big Mac's "aw shucks" routine somehow got him in no trouble.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Bigass Moth posted:

PEDs were not banned by baseball at the time of the supersluggers in the late 90s-early 00s. Barry was in trouble for lying to congress about it, while Big Mac's "aw shucks" routine somehow got him in no trouble.

Because he "aw shucks'd" the 5th amendment in front of congress, somehow not implicating himself nor lying under oath!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Which is exactly what Barry should have done, but instead he decided to perjure himself for the sake of PR. Which was especially dumb since it's not like the public believed him anyway.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 27, 2011

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bonds is in trouble for lying to a Grand Jury, not Congress.

So Bonds didn't cheat. God drat I hate overly moralizing sports writers.

Edit

Well I guess he was cheating because they were "illegal".

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Plus there's still the issue of just what effect whatever he did use actually had on his playing ability. Any of a number of factors could have been responsible for his production, including "being possibly the greatest baseball player of all time".

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

euphronius posted:

Bonds is in trouble for lying to a Grand Jury, not Congress.

So Bonds didn't cheat. God drat I hate overly moralizing sports writers.

Edit

Well I guess he was cheating because they were "illegal".

Oddly enough I had this exact conversation on another forum the other day about what constituted "cheating." My view was that cheating at baseball is violating baseball's rulebook, since MLB as an organization can have rules of conduct that don't apply to the game itself.

(this should probably be moved to the Bonds/steroids thread though)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

A drat FOG posted:

(this should probably be moved to the Bonds/steroids thread though)

This is a good idea if anyone wants to keep arguing about him, yeah. This thread is for appreciating John Steigerwald's blog.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I read through Stiegerwald's blog :negative: and did not find any crazy racist rants about Bonds sadly. Apparently he has some in his book though.

GunStar Hero Blue
Jul 6, 2004

Zombies!
Not a sports writer but here's an article that starts with an interesting enough premise ('fair play' not being a universal idea in sports), but instead of exploring that idea it morphs into a bizarre diatribe about suburbs, corporations, "middle america", and baseball's superiority to football.

http://thenewinquiry.com/post/4806813119/play-fair-run-fast-and-smile-for-the-camera

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

A drat FOG posted:

Enlighten me, what characteristic of being a woman could make it harder to write a sports column? Is it the clit?
The intense pressure of late-inning games makes Heidi Watney hysterically pregnant all the time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

The intense pressure of late-inning games makes Heidi Watney hysterically pregnant all the time.

varitek is actually the cause of this

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

varitek is actually the cause of this
Remember in the 2004 ALCS, when someone opened a door to the women pool reporters in the press "box" and a wave of menses cascaded out like the elevator of the Overlook Hotel?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

varitek knocks bitches up intangibly

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!
Johnny Damon used to come to bat to Folk Implosion's "Nothing's Gonna Stop the Flow" after his palpable male charisma made Jackie MacMullen get uncontrollable "pussy stigmata."

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Are you injured? Actually, you're just a giant baby.

quote:

First of all, I apologize if this column isn't very good. But it was cold at Target Field on Wednesday night, and I couldn't get loose. Despite cracking my knuckles several times, it just didn't feel right.

It happens. Ask Delmon Young of the Twins. Delmon pulled himself from the lineup Wednesday night because he couldn't get loose. Despite hitting balls 20 rows deep into the stands during batting practice, he went over to manager Ron Gardenhire and said he couldn't go.

That left Gardenhire with one healthy bench player, backup catcher Steve Holm.

After the contest, the Twins put Young on the disabled list, which is where he should have been a long time ago. He's missed six straight games with sore ribs, all the while insisting his return to the lineup was right around the corner. In fact, he asked Gardenhire to play him in left field instead of using him as the designated hitter on Wednesday. He figured he would be able to "stay loose" by running around in the outfield.

Then he bailed.

You know what? This is getting ridiculous. Hey guys, just go play baseball. We're all sick of hearing about tweaks, strains and IV bags. Suck it up and play!

The Twins have to quit babying these guys. Either they can play or they can't. And if they can't, get somebody up here who can. The problem is that guys walk into Gardenhire's office and tell him when they can play and when they can't. To me, that's a case of overcommunication. Unless the trainer specifically says a certain player needs to sit out, Gardenhire should just make out his best lineup and expect his players to go out there and perform.

He has pitchers telling him they can't pitch and hitters telling him they could use a day off. It's April, for God's sake. It's not September. This garbage started in spring training.

We keep hearing that Justin Morneau is completely recovered from postconcussion syndrome. Yet after an off day Monday followed by a rainout Tuesday, Gardenhire said Morneau needed a DH day instead of playing first base. OK, he's had the flu. It must be one hell of a flu, lasting more than a week. And he's not the only one.

"We've got a bunch of guys sniffing and coughing up there," Gardenhire said, nodding toward the clubhouse.

Did Ted Williams ever sniff? Anyone ever hear Willie Mays cough?

About eight players currently have some sort of physical problem or ailment. Some are hurting worse than others. Some handle it better than others. The Twins have a doubleheader today. Jim Thome and Jason Repko are hurt. That leaves the backup catcher and Rene Tosoni, just called up, as the only reserves for the two games.

Before Wednesday's game, Gardenhire didn't even know which pitcher would start the second contest of today's doubleheader. At first, he thought it might be Eric Hacker. A dozen pitchers on his staff and yet one doubleheader throws the whole world off kilter. After all, we wouldn't want anyone to pitch on "short rest." The situation is further complicated by the fact that Carl Pavano also has the flu and has been pushed back a day.

Hacker was Plan A. Unfortunately for Gardenhire and the Twins, Francisco Liriano was so horrible on Wednesday night that Hacker had to warm up in the very first inning. He ended up coming in to pitch in the fourth. So they called up Anthony Swarzak.

The Twins' approach to injuries can be summed up in three words: caution, caution, caution. How do you feel? Think you might play today? Want to give it a try?

Enough! Gardenhire needs to do what Vince Lombardi used to do as coach of the Green Bay Packers. Just barge into the trainer's room, tip a couple of tables over and order everybody out. As Lombardi would scream: "Nobody is injured here!"

Then write their names into the lineup and refuse to take them out unless the medical staff advises otherwise.

Oh, and even though I couldn't get loose, I managed to muddle through and do my job. Not everybody at Target Field on Wednesday night can say that.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

quote:

Did Ted Williams ever sniff? Anyone ever hear Willie Mays cough?

Did Sandy Koufax ever get injured? Did Lou Gehrig ever--

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 28, 2011

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
He should have been on the DL a week ago. And now he's on the DL? What is the world coming to!

At least the guy apologized right up front for being lovely.

quote:

We're all sick of hearing about tweaks, strains and IV bags. Suck it up and play!

If you're sick about hearing of it, don't tell us then, Twins beat reporter whose job is to report if players have aches and pains.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 28, 2011

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
Willie Mays literally never coughed you're right

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm surprised he didn't manage to work "Nanny state" in there

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The reaction to that Vince Lombardi story should be horror because it's why so many old football players are now crippled up or suffering from early onset dementia but nope, he was just super manly and awesome. Get out there and bruise your brain up for my entertainment, you pussies.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
I wish Congress would pass a law that every time some journalist writes stupid poo poo about how athletes "back in the day" didn't complain about injuries they be required to add a picture of present day Muhammed Ali looking sad.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Ted Williams actually sat out and got dinged up quite a bit in the middle/end stages of his career

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Or comment on how say, Dick Butkus, a poster child for that sort of nonsense immediately sued the Bears on retirement for how they treated him medically, and can now barely walk after dozens of knee and everything else operations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

leokitty posted:

Ted Williams actually sat out and got dinged up quite a bit in the middle/end stages of his career

The only thing that could stop Ted Williams from playing baseball was an uncontrollable urge to shoot down Nazis :911:

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
on the new Bill Simmons site: http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2011/04/28/writers_editors_join_espn

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Does Grantland sound like a bad name to anyone else?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I appreciate the idea behind it, but yeah, it's kind of awkward sounding.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Lucky it narrowly beat out Simmons' idea of larrylegend33celticsbaby.com

But seriously, it is pretty hard to come up with a good name.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dave Stubbs, beat write for the Gazette, is in the process of writing some article about how classless Bruins fans are in victory.

If I wanted to read Puck Daddy comments, I certainly would.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
the last page of this has been pretty great

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Speaking of Grantland, A.J. Daulerio decided to write a huge pile of words about Grantland and negotiations with Tommy Craggs and then openly admitted at the end that the column he's just penned could put Craggs' potential contract with ESPN in Jeopardy.

Seriously: http://deadspin.com/#!5796720/an-exclusive-interview-with-tommy-craggs-about-the-bill-simmons-grantland-project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Crazy Ted posted:

Speaking of Grantland, A.J. Daulerio decided to write a huge pile of words about Grantland and negotiations with Tommy Craggs and then openly admitted at the end that the column he's just penned could put Craggs' potential contract with ESPN in Jeopardy.

Seriously: http://deadspin.com/#!5796720/an-exclusive-interview-with-tommy-craggs-about-the-bill-simmons-grantland-project

But he JUST HAD TO GET IT OUT THERE, OUT OF DUTY

Also, this had one of the more-tortured metaphors I've seen recently (it's also a lovely article):

quote:

He stayed just one year at Auburn and left with a BCS championship and a Heisman. But he also left behind a string of controversies as long as beer cans tied to a wedding couple's getaway car.