Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I don't know how they drive on roads like that either. I switched to Steeda Sports and those only have a mild drop, like less than 1", and I have two new scrapes on the bottom of my front bumper. I can't imagine going for an even more severe drop like some people do. It's just not practical for the street, and it does crazy things to the suspension geometry.

But all concepts are like that, with huge 24" flush wheels and pillbox-cockpits. I'm sure Ford will tone it down, but they're going to go past the current styling for something more contemporary. If "One Ford" is going to be applied to the Mustang, it's going to have a more global style with European elements, like it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress me running. Just went and test drove a 2011 5.0 and I think I fell in love all over again.

I'm looking at a V6/premium/performance pack in about a year, and the 5.0 was the only one the dealer had in stock to test drive.

I grew up learning how to drive on my dad's 98 Cobra, and holy smokes it's a whole new freaking ballgame. Me and the missus both came away extremely impressed. She's even going to let me buy it come next year!

We'll be cross-shopping the V6 with a Genesis Coupe V6 and a used 370Z, but right now, the 'Stang is definitely the front-runner. Driven the V6 Camaro and was pretty unimpressed, although we do like the exterior styling. The interior is just too drat cramped for me (6'3") and the visibility is loving terrible for me, but especially my wife (5'4").

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PT6A posted:

How do you drive a car like that on the street? Even stock, I have to be careful to make sure my front end doesn't scrape when, for example, driving onto a ferry or driving out of a parking garage onto the street, to say nothing of scraping on any curbstone when parking (though that's really easily avoidable, of course).

:( The Boss is only lowered 1 cm past that, but it wouldn't make an easy daily driver.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Killbot posted:

But all concepts are like that, with huge 24" flush wheels and pillbox-cockpits. I'm sure Ford will tone it down, but they're going to go past the current styling for something more contemporary. If "One Ford" is going to be applied to the Mustang, it's going to have a more global style with European elements, like it or not.

The picture has nothing to do with Ford and is not a concept

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

CharlesM posted:

The picture has nothing to do with Ford and is not a concept

I know, wasn't that obvious? But look at the previous concepts from Ford for the current S197 and you'll see the same large wheels and chopped roof. Hell look up the Giugiaro concept Ford let them build. I was just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if Ford went in a more modern, "european" direction. Hell the first Mustang in '64 was designed to look European.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I thought it was obvious :)
Your post was a bit ambiguous to me though.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God
Now that car show season is almost upon us, I'd like to wash out the engine bay on my 5.0. What should I cover up and what should I avoid spraying?

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Offrampmotel posted:

Now that car show season is almost upon us, I'd like to wash out the engine bay on my 5.0. What should I cover up and what should I avoid spraying?

Fusebox, battery, alternator.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

PT6A posted:

How do you drive a car like that on the street?
Guy at the apartment complex I used to live at had a lowered Cobra. He was fine until the day they put in speed bumps. I happened to follow him in one day and saw how he did it. He had to creeeeep up to the bump at about a 45 degree angle and then ease the car ever so gently over it one wheel at a time.

And then apparently race like a motherfucker to the next one to make up for lost time. Repeat.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

Presto posted:

Guy at the apartment complex I used to live at had a lowered Cobra. He was fine until the day they put in speed bumps. I happened to follow him in one day and saw how he did it. He had to creeeeep up to the bump at about a 45 degree angle and then ease the car ever so gently over it one wheel at a time.

And then apparently race like a motherfucker to the next one to make up for lost time. Repeat.

I used to have a Camaro with ground effects. I had to go into parking lots at a 45 degree angle, too. Fortunately the only speed bumps we have around here are potholes.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Revolution Automotive goes 10.99 @ 124mph with a naturally aspirated, bolt-on only 2011 5.0 Mustang GT. So bad rear end; these cars have huge potential.

http://youtu.be/ADx2kpL9dDA

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

frozenphil posted:

Revolution Automotive goes 10.99 @ 124mph with a naturally aspirated, bolt-on only 2011 5.0 Mustang GT. So bad rear end; these cars have huge potential.

http://youtu.be/ADx2kpL9dDA

I don't drag race, so forgive my ignorance. Bolt-on what, exactly?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Bolt on means anything you can pop on a car without need for modification. It generally means intake, exhaust, cams, and computer flash, although anything can really qualify. I've heard new rear ends and Nitrous referred to as bolt up.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Muffinpox posted:

Bolt on means anything you can pop on a car without need for modification. It generally means intake, exhaust, cams, and computer flash, although anything can really qualify. I've heard new rear ends and Nitrous referred to as bolt up.

The way I've always used it:

If there's no cutting or welding, it's bolt-on.

Or duct-tape-on.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

As others have said, it's really subjective. Most people consider CAI, exhaust, intake, tune, and suspension stuff as "bolt-ons". My personal rule is if you can do it in a few hours in your driveway then it's probably a bolt-on. I don't consider power adders (superchargers, nitrous, turbos) or internal engine work to be bolt-on mods.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Wanna keep being all :supaburn: about this:
http://jalopnik.com/#!5796207/ford-silent-on-broken-mustang-transmissions

That's the tranny in the Boss Mustang, right?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Test drove a drop top today. I am really interested in getting a new 5.0 convertible, but the dealership didn't have any 5.0s, hardtop or otherwise. They did have a slightly used 2011 V6 Auto.

Very impressed with the V6, less impressed with the Auto ( although looking at that news item it might be the reliable choice) . Wasn't really looking to flog it or anything, I was mostly just interested in NVH stuff having never owned a convertible. I came away pretty impressed and how solid it felt even with the top down, conversations were no problem, and the ride wasn't overly bad.

My tester didn't have the premium interior and I was a little disappointed with the fit and finish, but not too much considering the price... The only real fault was that I wasn't really impressed with the Shaker 500, it sounded hollow compared to the Bose system in my Caddy.

Now the real problem in that the dealership wasn't really all that interested in moving on the price, which for a well equipped V8 'vert came in at just under 50 grand Canadian. Maybe later this summer...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Lt. Jebus posted:

Test drove a drop top today. I am really interested in getting a new 5.0 convertible, but the dealership didn't have any 5.0s, hardtop or otherwise. They did have a slightly used 2011 V6 Auto.

Very impressed with the V6, less impressed with the Auto ( although looking at that news item it might be the reliable choice) . Wasn't really looking to flog it or anything, I was mostly just interested in NVH stuff having never owned a convertible. I came away pretty impressed and how solid it felt even with the top down, conversations were no problem, and the ride wasn't overly bad.

My tester didn't have the premium interior and I was a little disappointed with the fit and finish, but not too much considering the price... The only real fault was that I wasn't really impressed with the Shaker 500, it sounded hollow compared to the Bose system in my Caddy.

Now the real problem in that the dealership wasn't really all that interested in moving on the price, which for a well equipped V8 'vert came in at just under 50 grand Canadian. Maybe later this summer...

Good call. Always be willing to walk away. Always be willing to talk to another dealer.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

I remember reading in a car mag about a lot of modern flat tappet cam failure being the result of poor metallurgy of Chinese foundries/casting. They were skipping some important part of processing the metal and it resulted in a part that was softer and weaker than it should have been which was causing a lot of wiped lobes and poo poo on stuff that didn't happen 40 years earlier. Maybe this is the same kind of situation.

If I was shopping for a new Mustang it might make me go with the automatic. Those modern 6-speed ZF based boxes are very nice units.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I like the automatic on my '11 5.0, except, it's programmed for soft granny shifts. Mine doesn't even chirp 2nd. And the 3.15 gearing feels a little taller than I'd like. I gotta get a tune on it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ordered 5 weeks ago yesterday. :jeopardy music:

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

Number_6 posted:

I like the automatic on my '11 5.0, except, it's programmed for soft granny shifts. Mine doesn't even chirp 2nd. And the 3.15 gearing feels a little taller than I'd like. I gotta get a tune on it.

A tune will definitely improve your shifts. I have the manual (3600 miles and no problems so far) and depending on the road surface, I can chirp the tires shifting into 4th.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

It's really weird to how how the only forum I can find with people talking about this issue is the one Jalopnick linked. The forums that have people who aren't completely retarded don't seem to have a single person with this issue. Strange...it's like there's a reason I didn't list allfordmustangs.com as a forum you should visit.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Offrampmotel posted:

A tune will definitely improve your shifts. I have the manual (3600 miles and no problems so far) and depending on the road surface, I can chirp the tires shifting into 4th.

What gearing do you have that you can chirp into 4th?! Mine with the 3.31s is already exceeding the highest speed limits in America before I'm in 3rd gear.

frozenphil posted:

It's really weird to how how the only forum I can find with people talking about this issue is the one Jalopnick linked. The forums that have people who aren't completely retarded don't seem to have a single person with this issue. Strange...it's like there's a reason I didn't list allfordmustangs.com as a forum you should visit.

Well, mine almost always crunches 1-2 and 2-3 (not a full grind, but a quick crunch sound). Shifting 1-2 at the redline without being /very/ slow and methodical will grind. Just a few days ago, it flat out refused to go into any gear. Accelerated from a light not even that briskly, tried to shift to 2nd.. wouldn't budge.. tried 3rd, 4th, finally got it to go into 5th.

The transmission and my FRPP tune are the only faults of my car (though I could reverse the tune but gently caress skip shift). The tune causes the engine to stall if I were to just rev it without load. Even a short blip to ~1200 or so will cause it to dip way below idle and try to die (it usually recovers though). A blip to 4k or so will kill it. I got bored at a light once and revved it to 4k -- it died, then all the gauges lit red and it wouldn't restart. Had to cycle the key a dozen or so times. Thankfully I didn't hold anyone up as the light was hosed and not turning green even after a few cycles for other directions (which is why I was bored haha).

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

There's some talk on s197 forum but it seems like it's a lot less of an issue than on allfordmustangs. That forum is full of retards anyways.

Hopefully if it becomes a real issue there will be a recall.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

optikalus posted:

What gearing do you have that you can chirp into 4th?! Mine with the 3.31s is already exceeding the highest speed limits in America before I'm in 3rd gear.

I have 3.73 gears. I can't chirp going into 4th consistently, but on types of pavement that offer less traction than others I can do it about 75% of the time.

In first at WOT my tires will spin above 4k, and I can chirp the tires shifting into 2nd and 3rd 100% of the time.

ninja edit: Mods are Airaid CAI & Bama 93 race tune.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

kimbo305 posted:

As far as I can tell, the "Broken" transmissions are an extreme minority of cars and that the "hundreds" of complaints are just the same guys complaining 100 times. I've never had a tranny that was entirely smooth from gear 1-5, and the old outgoing Tremec wasn't free of notchy shifts or bad cold weather shifting either.

It's really hard to tell what's a legitimate problem and what's just a lot of noise when it comes to internet discussions; there's a lot of people out there saying the MT82 is one of the best and smoothest sticks they've ever used, its just that nobody is listening to them. Didn't they resolve this problem on the 2012 Mustangs too?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 28, 2011

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

frozenphil posted:

I work indirectly for Ford, and it's an issue. We were told to look for transmission problems.

e- also in case you didn't look at the thread in GBS, glad you made it through yesterday ok

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

Angry Grimace posted:

As far as I can tell, the "Broken" transmissions are an extreme minority of cars and that the "hundreds" of complaints are just the same guys complaining 100 times. I've never had a tranny that was entirely smooth from gear 1-5, and the old outgoing Tremec wasn't free of notchy shifts or bad cold weather shifting either.

It's really hard to tell what's a legitimate problem and what's just a lot of noise when it comes to internet discussions; there's a lot of people out there saying the MT82 is one of the best and smoothest sticks they've ever used, its just that nobody is listening to them. Didn't they resolve this problem on the 2012 Mustangs too?

I have 3600 miles on my MT82 and haven't had any problems whatsoever. Although the 1-2 shift can occasionally be a little notchy, most of the time everything seems to shift ok.

Then again this is the first manual car I've ever owned, so I know gently caress all about what a good shifting transmission is supposed to feel like.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Angry Grimace posted:

There's a thread about it on the Corral and I think I've seen it mentioned over on modular fords as well. Ford released a TSB recommending folks with cars built before April '10 change out their tranny fluids.

Mine was built in October '10, no issues here.

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT
Mine was November 2010 and is fine so far (700 miles).

Also its incredibly awesome.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

RockSmart posted:

There's a thread about it on the Corral and I think I've seen it mentioned over on modular fords as well. Ford released a TSB recommending folks with cars built before April '10 change out their tranny fluids.

Mine was built in October '10, no issues here.

Mine was an April '10 car, so maybe I'll have the dealer swap the fluid next time I go in for an oil change

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

optikalus posted:

The transmission and my FRPP tune are the only faults of my car (though I could reverse the tune but gently caress skip shift). The tune causes the engine to stall if I were to just rev it without load.

Only? It sounds like you have pretty major problems with what's probably the two most expensive and important parts of your basically brand new car. I know the transmission thing is somewhat being dealt with, but are you really okay with your car stalling if you press the gas? Seems like some sort of automotive Stockholm syndrome. (It's ok I have it too)

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Angry Grimace posted:

I think there are a lot of people with minor issues, including me, and a few people with bad problems. I haven't had the fluid swap done because I don't think that's the problem. The TSB says it's for rough shifting problems below 35F, and mine starts happening way about that, say 60ish.

But yeah, a lot of those posts on allfordmustangs are by the same guy. I get it: your car is broken. Why he doesn't just loving Lemon Law the vehicle (as people have been telling him to do) and move on is beyond me.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Presto posted:

But yeah, a lot of those posts on allfordmustangs are by the same guy. I get it: your car is broken. Why he doesn't just loving Lemon Law the vehicle (as people have been telling him to do) and move on is beyond me.

The "Goon in a well" scenario is not unique to SA. Broken means he gets to be noisy and get attention. If it was fixed, he'd not have anything to contribute, and therefore his 15 minutes of fame would be over.

Soooo it looks like a 5.0 is going to be my Christmas or birthday (March) present to myself. I kinda want to wait until March because I live in Seattle and don't relish driving it through our nasty winters (and winter drivers), but I don't know if I'll be able to wait those extra 3 months.

I'm thinking of skipping the brembo package for the glass roof, as I won't be tracking it, and because drat! It really makes the interior feel bigger. How do the stock brakes hold up to spirited driving up and down mountain roads?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Wombot posted:

Soooo it looks like a 5.0 is going to be my Christmas or birthday (March) present to myself. I kinda want to wait until March because I live in Seattle and don't relish driving it through our nasty winters (and winter drivers), but I don't know if I'll be able to wait those extra 3 months.

Order it in December, then it'll be ready by March. Problem solved?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Wombot posted:

The "Goon in a well" scenario is not unique to SA. Broken means he gets to be noisy and get attention. If it was fixed, he'd not have anything to contribute, and therefore his 15 minutes of fame would be over.

I'm thinking of skipping the brembo package for the glass roof, as I won't be tracking it, and because drat! It really makes the interior feel bigger. How do the stock brakes hold up to spirited driving up and down mountain roads?

Personally if it were me I'd have lemon lawed it and done everything possible to get a 2012 or a 2011 with more options than mine. Clearly the guy got a lemon, it happens and it doesn't surprise me.

As for the standard brakes, mine hold up just fine. My big issues with the Brembo package is the wheels kinda suck and that they only come with summer rubber. My fiance was cool enough to let me buy a 5.0 while planning a wedding and stashing away money for a house so I didn't want to push it and drop another $1500 on wheels and tires right out of the gate.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php/174322-5.0L-Coyote-Powered-Ford-Ranger-Truck

5.0 coyote ranger.

Stumbled onto this while fantasizing about a monster f-150.

Base $19,998 truck
$1,000 5.0 option
$6,500 kenne bell

lightning 3.0

for a little extra wacky, 6" flare pre-runner bedsides from fiberwerx, minitub, a couple mickey thompson 33X22.00R20LTs.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

MikeyTsi posted:

Order it in December, then it'll be ready by March. Problem solved?

Yea, but I'll be ready to order one by September, so it would be ready to drive by December. First world problems!

E: Does anyone else think the painted nose on the GT500s and V6s looks better than the all-black plastic nose on the GTs?

Wombot fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Wombot posted:

Yea, but I'll be ready to order one by September, so it would be ready to drive by December. First world problems!

E: Does anyone else think the painted nose on the GT500s and V6s looks better than the all-black plastic nose on the GTs?

Just get a set of snow tires and you'll be able to deal with pretty much anything Seattle winter can throw at you. I drove mine in the winter in Calgary (albeit not on the worst days, because I didn't want to deal with the traffic nightmares) and had no problems whatsoever, even in some terrible conditions (they don't plow residential streets at all, so there's always plenty of snow and ice on them).