Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
I've been using the GV integration since sometime last week and I have to say this is the greatest upgrade to my cell phone/smartphone owning experience since the motorola RAZR. Just kidding, but this is seriously awesome stuff that I can now do.

Hey if you have the integration turned on, hit 4 on your phone when someone calls and it will record the entire conversation and plop it into your GV account online.

OH and if you are using Chrome install this extension immediately:

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/beoddpfedeggnbomdpakbobkklaphllf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

What's the best web-site to find information between all the various models? I am trying to figure out if I should go with the Nexus S 4G or the Epic so I can use the physical keyboard and it's driving me up the wall. Is there some web-site which lists all the features and specifications side by side? I use the hell out of the physical keyboard on my Moment, so I'm really leaning towards the Epic, but not if the improvements outweigh the benefits of having a physical keyboard. I know the 3D phone is coming out but that thing looks like a huge battery sink and battery life is one of the most important features to me.

VVV Is there some place that can lay it out for phone dumb people like me? :( I don't even know what gingerbread is and why it's such a big deal.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 27, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Nexus S and not even close. (unless you are my daughter and yes the $60 Epic is just perfect for you).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 27, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

nate fisher posted:

Nexus S and not even close. (unless you are my daughter and yes the $60 Epic is just perfect for you).

A thousand times this. The Evo3D should be as good or probably better than the Evo with a newer, more efficient CPU, and bigger battery. But yeah, if you have to get a phone really soon, the Nexus wins by a mile.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

900ftjesus posted:

A thousand times this. The Evo3D should be as good or probably better than the Evo with a newer, more efficient CPU, and bigger battery. But yeah, if you have to get a phone really soon, the Nexus wins by a mile.

I was really reluctant to make the jump to a phone without a physical keyboard (I have small hands so I can type fairly comfortably), but I've tried out Swype and I can only imagine it's gotten better. The EVO3D looks neat but I've been waiting forever to upgrade my phone and to be honest I'm getting kind of tired of the Moment so I think I'll wait a week more and get the Nexus S, thanks! Now to put Google to use!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Wow I just found the Epic 4G for $50 if you upgrade using the Radio Shack web site. I never thought I would buy anything Samsung (outside of the Nexus S), but this might be too good of a deal for my daughter.

Oh 12 year old with a Epic 4G? Crap my daughter's friends are rocking EVOs, iPhones, etc.

I work in a pretty rich area (south of nashville) and see that all the time. I asked a parent why they needed to get their kid an Evo (last August when it was hot) over an intercept and they said they needed to get him something on par with his ipad. Crazy.

And google voice is great for texting from the computer.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Oh god, upon doing more research I think I want to wait for the EVO 3D. Dual core processor in a cell phone? Ability to record 3D videos? Is there a conservative estimate on when this phone may hit the market? June? July? August? If the battery life will be addressed it'll probably be worth the wait. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the same boat, trying to decide between jumping on the Nexus S or waiting for EVO 3D. The wait is going to drive me mad!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Duckman2008 posted:

I work in a pretty rich area (south of nashville) and see that all the time. I asked a parent why they needed to get their kid an Evo (last August when it was hot) over an intercept and they said they needed to get him something on par with his ipad. Crazy.

And google voice is great for texting from the computer.

I think it's hysterical when I go to someone's house that has children, and the kids barely even say "hello" or interact with anyone else. They're just sitting there playing on their iPhone or DS. I'm wondering how that will carry over into their adult life, not to be an old man or whatever, but sitting there for hours and playing on a little screen can't be totally healthy for your physical or mental development.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Bioshuffle posted:

Oh god, upon doing more research I think I want to wait for the EVO 3D. Dual core processor in a cell phone? Ability to record 3D videos? Is there a conservative estimate on when this phone may hit the market? June? July? August? If the battery life will be addressed it'll probably be worth the wait. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the same boat, trying to decide between jumping on the Nexus S or waiting for EVO 3D. The wait is going to drive me mad!

All signs point to June. I have a feeling that as long as the EVOs keep on selling like this we will see a new EVO every June. The only warning I would give you is no one really knows about battery life yet. Yes signs point to better battery life, but still if you don't work in a office or have the ability to charge your phone during the day it worry me some.

While my wife is going to get the EVO 3D (her reward for rocking my Hero the last year) I think I might hold off upgrading myself. Why? For the first time in a long time I am still satisfied with my cell phone a year later. Yes the EVO is not perfect but it is still a pretty good phone. Urg I say this now but I bet once I see her with her new toy I will have to have it.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I think it's hysterical when I go to someone's house that has children, and the kids barely even say "hello" or interact with anyone else. They're just sitting there playing on their iPhone or DS. I'm wondering how that will carry over into their adult life, not to be an old man or whatever, but sitting there for hours and playing on a little screen can't be totally healthy for your physical or mental development.

Adults are just as bad as kids (if not worse in some cases) when it comes to Smart Phones. Nothing like going to someone's house and people are showing each other apps. In my house we have rules about phone usage when the family is together. It is a no no.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

nate fisher posted:

While my wife is going to get the EVO 3D (her reward for rocking my Hero the last year) I think I might hold off upgrading myself. Why? For the first time in a long time I am still satisfied with my cell phone a year later. Yes the EVO is not perfect but it is still a pretty good phone. Urg I say this now but I bet once I see her with her new toy I will have to have it.

I was thinking the same thing. I may try to get a 3D but my Evo does a lot of stuff. I will at least hold off until they get root access, and may not load anything on it, just run stock and a wifi teather.

I say this as I post from my cm7 nook color linked via wifi teather to my cm7 Evo.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
So I played around with the EVO3D yesterday for a little bit. It's about what you'd expect - an EVO with a 3D camera and display. I didn't get to play around with it long enough to comment on battery life or performance, but I did take a couple pictures with the camera. One thing I noticed was that the 3D effect was really weird if you accidentally blurred your shot. It's really kind of a trippy experience, but if 3D photos aren't your bag it's really easy just to switch to the 2D camera. I really hope some sort of support for 3D menus comes out because that would be sweet

torb main fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 27, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Alman posted:

So I played around with the EVO3D yesterday for a little bit. It's about what you'd expect - an EVO with a 3D camera and display. I didn't get to play around with it long enough to comment on battery life or performance, but I did take a couple pictures with the camera. One thing I noticed was that the 3D effect was really weird if you accidentally blurred your shot. It's really kind of a trippy experience, but if 3D photos aren't your bag it's really easy just to switch to the 2D camera. I [i]really]/i] hope some sort of support for 3D menus comes out because that would be sweet

I'd really like to see where AR apps go with access to 3D camera hardware. For some reason I think that would be really loving cool. Also 3D support in video chat so you can show someone around with the rear cameras and have it display in 3D! Obviously they would have to have a capable device, but still.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

sirbeefalot posted:

I'd really like to see where AR apps go with access to 3D camera hardware. For some reason I think that would be really loving cool. Also 3D support in video chat so you can show someone around with the rear cameras and have it display in 3D! Obviously they would have to have a capable device, but still.

I agree, I think I mentioned AR stuff when it was announced and everyone was bagging on 3D being a gimmick. I also watched a few videos of the AR games for the 3DS and man, yeah, that would be awesome. I remember some keynote where someone was using their cameraphone with an app and it showed what people were tweeting about wherever the camera was pointed - that's the kind of scenario where 3D would be sweet (albeit about as "luxury" of a feature as it can get)

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what's the current best phone (android) on sprint? My coworker has to upgrade and was asking me. Is it the Evo 4G?

Edit: I told him to wait for may 8th and get the nexus

Maggot Monster fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 27, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Alman posted:

So I played around with the EVO3D yesterday for a little bit. It's about what you'd expect - an EVO with a 3D camera and display. I didn't get to play around with it long enough to comment on battery life or performance, but I did take a couple pictures with the camera. One thing I noticed was that the 3D effect was really weird if you accidentally blurred your shot. It's really kind of a trippy experience, but if 3D photos aren't your bag it's really easy just to switch to the 2D camera. I really hope some sort of support for 3D menus comes out because that would be sweet

I imagine there's a deal being worked out with Sprint TV or Blockbuster (or whoever owns them now) for a 3D movie service. Maybe not, but it seems dumb not to leverage the screen as best you can.

So far I've heard the LCD on the 3D (disregarding the 3D) is better quality than the Evo4G. Any comments on the new version of Sense or was your time too limited? How about size and weight compared to the 4G?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

nate fisher posted:

Adults are just as bad as kids (if not worse in some cases) when it comes to Smart Phones. Nothing like going to someone's house and people are showing each other apps. In my house we have rules about phone usage when the family is together. It is a no no.
Raise your hand if you've ever texted somebody in the same room as you. :eng101:

Alman posted:

How was the 3D screen overall? I've played with a couple of 3DS's in retail stores and the effect left me fairly unimpressed. I found it extremely difficult to find and then maintain the ideal viewing angle, and if I moved off of that even just a little bit the effect was a little disorienting.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Jensen posted:

I've been using the GV integration since sometime last week and I have to say this is the greatest upgrade to my cell phone/smartphone owning experience since the motorola RAZR. Just kidding, but this is seriously awesome stuff that I can now do.

I sort of accidentally turned on GVoice integration and had a few questions (I thought there would be more steps than "click button NOW IRREVERSIBLE THING HAS BEEN DONE WITHOUT CONFIRMATION!!").

1) It says that international calls are done through GVoice. Is this required? On Sprint I was already paying for cheap international service as I call the UK somewhat frequently. Do I have to learn the GVoice system now?

2) What happens when I leave Sprint, does the number go away, or is it still my Google Voice number?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

900ftjesus posted:

I imagine there's a deal being worked out with Sprint TV or Blockbuster (or whoever owns them now) for a 3D movie service. Maybe not, but it seems dumb not to leverage the screen as best you can.

So far I've heard the LCD on the 3D (disregarding the 3D) is better quality than the Evo4G. Any comments on the new version of Sense or was your time too limited? How about size and weight compared to the 4G?

For size and weight it's roughly the same. Obviously it feels a little different since it has the two cameras and that little ridge in the back for the cameras/LED flashes, but overall the difference is barely noticeable. From the front, if it weren't for the camera 2D/3D toggle, it would look almost exactly the same. I mostly played around with the camera, but I'm personally a fan of Sense so I liked 3.0 - really my extent of playing with it was swiping through the menus once, though.

Should make the disclaimer that I don't own the 4G so I don't really know a whole lot about the subtle differences, but from what I could tell, they really wanted to just "evolve" the EVO form factor and change only so much to support 3D.

brc64 posted:

How was the 3D screen overall? I've played with a couple of 3DS's in retail stores and the effect left me fairly unimpressed. I found it extremely difficult to find and then maintain the ideal viewing angle, and if I moved off of that even just a little bit the effect was a little disorienting.

If you found the 3DS effect underwhelming, then you'll find the EVO 3D's display underwhelming. It's actually more difficult to adjust the depth of the 3D effect on the EVO than on the 3DS (there's no slider). That said, 3D capability aside, it's still a badass phone.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Maggot Monster posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what's the current best phone (android) on sprint? My coworker has to upgrade and was asking me. Is it the Evo 4G?

Edit: I told him to wait for may 8th and get the nexus

Probably the Evo or Evo Shift, but unless he really loves one of those two phones he should just wait for the Nexus, or wait longer for the 3D. Otherwise he will be mad at himself down the road for not being able to wait a little for the new phones.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
poo poo. I dropped my EVO 4g on my way to work, fell flat on its screen and shattered. I've got TEP, any idea if I can just go to a Sprint store and have it fixed, and if it's going to cost me anything?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

A Bad Poster posted:

poo poo. I dropped my EVO 4g on my way to work, fell flat on its screen and shattered. I've got TEP, any idea if I can just go to a Sprint store and have it fixed, and if it's going to cost me anything?

ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I sort of accidentally turned on GVoice integration and had a few questions (I thought there would be more steps than "click button NOW IRREVERSIBLE THING HAS BEEN DONE WITHOUT CONFIRMATION!!").

1) It says that international calls are done through GVoice. Is this required? On Sprint I was already paying for cheap international service as I call the UK somewhat frequently. Do I have to learn the GVoice system now?

2) What happens when I leave Sprint, does the number go away, or is it still my Google Voice number?

It's not irreversible, you can turn it off in one click too.

1. It automatically routes through Gvoice for international calls now. From what I've seen, the rates are pretty low in gvoice.

2. Sprint still owns your number. If you leave Sprint you will lose the Google Voice stuff as well.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Wasn't the Sprint/GV thing supposed to happen on the 26th? What happened?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hey guys, Virgin Mobile user here (so basically Sprint). Are there any good antennas/gadgets to boost the signal at home besides the Airrave (which i can't use) or those Zboost devices which cost like $300?

I get 1 bar of signal (typically around -90 to -105 dbs)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So I guess I'll take the dive and merge my GV and Sprint #'s (I got a GV number long ago just because...never did anything with it.) What I'm most excited for is being able to do SMS on my PC easily when I'm at home, and getting SMS on my phone over wifi, since I get no signal at all at work.

Though it's my understanding that I have to use the GV app to do wifi SMS, I can't use Handcent? Should I just ditch Handcent all together? I would miss pop-up reply too much...

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

DrBouvenstein posted:

So I guess I'll take the dive and merge my GV and Sprint #'s (I got a GV number long ago just because...never did anything with it.) What I'm most excited for is being able to do SMS on my PC easily when I'm at home, and getting SMS on my phone over wifi, since I get no signal at all at work.

Though it's my understanding that I have to use the GV app to do wifi SMS, I can't use Handcent? Should I just ditch Handcent all together? I would miss pop-up reply too much...

I only messed with it for an hour before I turned it off, but handcent stopped receiving any notifications. Google Voice uses data for SMS which is why I turned ot off for now.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I kind of like having my google voice number and my sprint number separate, and then using the voice app to route communications through voice when I do things like craigslist transactions. I set my phone to ask prior to each dial, and boom, now I can block dillweeds who start harassing you over a price being too high or something. Losing that voice number or the ability to pick to text or call from voice or from sprint seems like a negative.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm in the same boat and get no get no service at work either. Didn't even realize the GV texts are over wifi (dur) so thanks for mentioning it since now I can text while at the office. This would be the only reason for me to merge my numbers if I can text from my Sprint # and not GV while at work with no signal that would be awesome but like you if it means no more text pop-ups then I'll probably just have people like family text my GV # while I'm at work.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Skeezy posted:

Wasn't the Sprint/GV thing supposed to happen on the 26th? What happened?

It happened for me. Maybe they're rolling out in phases?

Jensen posted:

It's not irreversible, you can turn it off in one click too.

1. It automatically routes through Gvoice for international calls now. From what I've seen, the rates are pretty low in gvoice.

2. Sprint still owns your number. If you leave Sprint you will lose the Google Voice stuff as well.
No kidding. That wasn't clear to me, I guess.

I was already using GVoice for voicemail, and don't really see much use of it beyond that. It's nice when your GVoice number moves with you, though.

In my situation I have exactly one phone number (my cell number) and don't care about recording voice calls or saving SMS messages. That and the Google Voice app looks butt ugly when used for text messaging.

Thanks for the info.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Is SMS via data connection an option or do they all come in that way? I use a program (juice defender) that disables mobile data to save battery life, but texts still come through right away because they use the cell radio.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

heat posted:

Is SMS via data connection an option or do they all come in that way? I use a program (juice defender) that disables mobile data to save battery life, but texts still come through right away because they use the cell radio.

If you use the Google Voice app, texts come in over data. However, you also have the option to have text messages forwarded to a phone number, which brings them in over SMS. I use the latter since the Voice notifications were never reliable enough for me in the past.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Myrddin Emrys posted:

It happened for me. Maybe they're rolling out in phases?

Yep. Hasn't happened for me yet, though.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=0e574dcfdafa00d9&hl=en

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

TheBlackMallard posted:

I only messed with it for an hour before I turned it off, but handcent stopped receiving any notifications. Google Voice uses data for SMS which is why I turned ot off for now.

You didn't mess with it long enough. There is a checkbox in Google Voice settings that sends the text to your normal SMS app. "Foward texts to phone" or some such.

Look, you guys can either use your normal SMS app, the GV app, or both. There is no downside to this, seriously.

If you use the GV app the texts get sent out over wifi. If you use your normal SMS app they get sent out over the 1xEVDO connection as they always have.

EITHER WAY, the texts all sync up perfectly in Google Voice.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

brc64 posted:

Could you let me know how you like the dual-wielding two Google Voice numbers? I'd like to keep my GV number AND move my Sprint number over. If I could move my GV number over to another account, I might. Ideally, I'd like to be able to text from both numbers, from my desk, in a browser, in different tabs.

I know that I want to be able to do weird things.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Turnquiet posted:

I kind of like having my google voice number and my sprint number separate, and then using the voice app to route communications through voice when I do things like craigslist transactions. I set my phone to ask prior to each dial, and boom, now I can block dillweeds who start harassing you over a price being too high or something. Losing that voice number or the ability to pick to text or call from voice or from sprint seems like a negative.

You do realize that your cell number now BECOMES your Google Voice number, right?

So, the dillweeds can be blocked exactly the same as before. Except now you aren't annoyingly asked which number to use every time you want to make a phone call.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Pizza Club posted:

Could you let me know how you like the dual-wielding two Google Voice numbers? I'd like to keep my GV number AND move my Sprint number over. If I could move my GV number over to another account, I might. Ideally, I'd like to be able to text from both numbers, from my desk, in a browser, in different tabs.

I know that I want to be able to do weird things.
I created a new Google account yesterday and filled out the transfer form then, but I haven't gotten any response yet. Once it happens, I'll let you know.

In a somewhat ironic twist, I've been using the hell out of the Voice app on my phone today. Our main office is without power, so I've been having to make support calls from my cell phone and I've been dialing with Voice to hide my personal number. It's rare that I ever make a call using Voice and I've made half a dozen already today.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

Jensen posted:

You didn't mess with it long enough. There is a checkbox in Google Voice settings that sends the text to your normal SMS app. "Foward texts to phone" or some such.

Look, you guys can either use your normal SMS app, the GV app, or both. There is no downside to this, seriously.

If you use the GV app the texts get sent out over wifi. If you use your normal SMS app they get sent out over the 1xEVDO connection as they always have.

EITHER WAY, the texts all sync up perfectly in Google Voice.

Thanks. I'll definitely be switching it back on then. I was on my way out the door to catch a flight and spend the next 5 days driving across the country so I didn't want to chance it. Texting from the web is just way too convenient.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
My concern is that, while porting my cell # to gv makes for seamless integration now, it is only so through sprint-specific and android-specific capabilities. Switching away from either of those would be problematic.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
*sigh* Just as I was boasting about my MiFi having 2 solid days of uptime without any intervention it poo poo the bed majorly. Now it won't stay connected to 4G at all. Figured it was just either some weirdness to do with the local tower or some weather issue since it was storming really bad yesterday. It's doing the same thing today, which lead me to about the most unhelpful waste of time tech support poo poo ever. Does Sprint's phone support consist of anything more than "reboot it, reset it, return it"?

It seems weird that the thing worked so incredibly well now isn't working at all, when it's been sitting in the exact same location just servin' up internet and blinking away without me touching it, changing a single setting, or anything else. I mean I guess I have no alternative but to swap it out, but I'm not sure that's really going to solve anything. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

WoG posted:

My concern is that, while porting my cell # to gv makes for seamless integration now, it is only so through sprint-specific and android-specific capabilities. Switching away from either of those would be problematic.

I can't see myself leaving Android for another platform any time soon, but even still, you can still take advantage of Google Voice on a non-Android phone. Calls will still be routed to your phone number, regardless of what OS it runs. I'm a little less clear on how texting works if you port to Voice, but I know you can route SMS to any phone number you choose, so that's also still functional. The Voice app just makes dealing with those things directly on the phone more convenient, but it's not required.